Castlevania Timeline/Best Castlevanias

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ColdP1zza (2437 posts) -

NOTE: I know that most of the Castlevania games are Side-scrollers and thats fine with me and so are the 3D action ones.

So I just beat Castlevania Lords of Shadow for 360 and I loved it. It got me back into Castlevania I now I want to play them again. I'm not a newcomer to Castlevania, I've played Castlevania 1 (NES), Castlevania 3 (NES), Super Castlevania, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS).

My first question is:

What is the timeline of the castlevania games? If there is a story I'd like to follow if and start from the beginning. A link to a timeline or something similar would be nice. And I know Lords of Shadow is not canon.

Secondly, what are the best castlevania games overall? I have access360, Wii, DS, PSP, GBA, NES, SNES, PS1, and N64 so I can play any castlevania from what I know. I'd prefer to play them in order of story, but if there are some that do not fall into the story whatsoever then what are the best of those?

#2 Posted by Stinger78 (5829 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27495957

#3 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

My three favorite Castlevanias are Super Castlevania IV, Symphony of the Night, and Order of Ecclesia.

I'm playing through Lord of Shadows as well and loving it. at Chapter 8 now.

#4 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8206 posts) -
Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood(or Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP) would be the top Castlevania games to play imo. The GBA/DS games are good as well but they start to get kind of stale as they are all so similar.
#5 Posted by TheTrueMagusX1 (2560 posts) -

The Castlevania Time line is an interesting beast. What is nice about it though is you donot need to play it in order, and to me it is similiar to what Howard did with Conan. When Howard wrote his original Conan stories, he wrote the stories in the same time line with continuity, but out of order. Infact the very first Conan story Howard wrote is towards the end of the time line, and other stories such as Tower of the Elephant are at near the beggining but written after this story. Castlevania is the same where as the two Sorrow games are at the end of the Timeline, but games like Order of Ecclesia take place a couple hundred years prior to that story but were released. Though i would reccomend getting the Dracula X chronicles on PSP if you can so you can play Rondo of Blood and then Symphony of the Night afterwards since they directly follow each other. Ecclesia if I am not correct takes place several decades after SoTN.

#6 Posted by Megavideogamer (5686 posts) -

wikipedia has an articleabout Castlevania that includes a bit of a timeline. which ones are cannon etc.

#7 Posted by Emurozii (269 posts) -

My fav would be SoTN, with 4 right behind