Castlevania LoS 2 is more like Zelda! Amazing new preview!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I liked the first LoS, a bit long for it to be just a hack and slash though. Well Mercury Steam has decided to make it more open world, more structured like Zelda and make it 20+ hours long with new stuff every 5 minutes! This preview is incredible, now I am super hyped for it!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-08-the-god-of-war-comparisons-really-pissed-us-off

opens out, or, as Cox puts it, becomes more like Zelda.

"Gradually you start to realise, I don't need to go this way," he says. "I don't need to follow the story. There's almost an eureka moment where you go, you know what? I'm not going to go that way. I'm going to go back to the castle and just have a wander around. It's that point where you realise, I can go wherever I want. But that's a few hours into the game."

Cox continues: "It's more akin to a Zelda game in terms of its structure. It's not like GTA where we just plonk you in. When we thought about doing a more open world environment we didn't want to have it like Batman where you're dropped in and there's no real structure. Story is so important to us. We have to lead the player in that direction. But giving players freedom as well was important too. That's the trade-off. If players don't want to follow the story they don't have to."

"It's very different to other parts of the game," Cox says. "I like that diversity. I like the fact players can be surprised around every corner. Players will be constantly surprised by curve balls here and there. And some nasty things as well.

"It's hard to get across to people that this is 20 hours of new s*** happening every five minutes," he adds.

"Even 18 hours in you're getting new abilities. Dracula's getting new things 18 hours into the game. That's important in order to keep the pace and make sure there's always something for players to do."

Give me now!!!

Oh and a ton of new screens at the link which I wont post cause its a pain posting pics here.

#2 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

A bunch of sites have previews

VG24/7:

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/09/cast...ody-franchise/

Screenshots & Artwork batch :

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/09/cast...reens-artwork/

Gamesradar:

http://www.gamesradar.com/castlevani...adow-2-review/

PSBlog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...s-of-shadow-2/

GameInformer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/ca...shadow-2.aspx?

IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/...-its-dark-side

Destructoid:

http://www.destructoid.com/castlevan...g-268627.phtml

The game starts with you in first person murdering a mom and daughter. Brutal.

#3 Posted by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

This is good news. I think.

#4 Posted by Sushiglutton (5301 posts) -

First game was a lot of fun despite some flaws. I really dig the Zelda type structure and I'm sure they have been able to polish the mechanics in the three years thet've had. Very excited about this game :D!!!!!

#5 Posted by alim298 (1392 posts) -

I'm looking at a GOTY here.

#6 Posted by Archangel3371 (15633 posts) -

Looks and sounds awesome. I really loved the first game so I definitely can't wait to get my hands on this one. The Zelda inference really has me excited for the game.

#7 Posted by EdgecrusherAza (7038 posts) -

I really liked LOS even though it plays nothing like the old games, so I'm definitely excited for the sequel. How can you take it here these days Dvader and Archie? Its like mixing bitter with a giant dose of dumb.

#8 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@EdgecrusherAza said:

I really liked LOS even though it plays nothing like the old games, so I'm definitely excited for the sequel. How can you take it here these days Dvader and Archie? Its like mixing bitter with a giant dose of dumb.

I hardly post here, sometimes its just to share some info I am excited about like this. Other times its just to get into arguments. :P

#9 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Oh so it will be boring? :P

I liked the first one fine enough, couldn't finish it though. Definitely open to trying this out.

#10 Edited by Randolph (10519 posts) -

Lords of Shadow 2 will be a fine game in it's own right, just as the first was. But they are both terrible Castlevania games. What really irks me is that even the portable games are following this formula now, so even that safe bastion for traditional Castlevania games has been removed. It's just depressing. I still pine for a super slick state of the art high resolution 2D game with incredible and detailed animations, and a huge freaking map, and a story that details the events of the battle of 1999. You just can't have the final and real death of Dracula as a footnote.

I've been killing Dracula since the eighties, I really need that closure.

#11 Posted by ristactionjakso (5726 posts) -

My hype just skyrocketed for this game.

I mean, I was still gonna pre order this game, but im more hyped now.

#12 Posted by blamix99 (1947 posts) -

LOS 1 was good, the only thing i didn't like is you have to repeat some levels to get more powerful

#13 Posted by alim298 (1392 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Lords of Shadow 2 will be a fine game in it's own right, just as the first was. But they are both terrible Castlevania games.

In terms of gameplay, yes. In terms of story this saying is a joke. Even if there was a 1999.

#14 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@EdgecrusherAza said:

At least most of the Nintendo apologists have gone. Their bitter, Yamauchi like rants against the wider industry and gamers who didn't share their love for Mario were hilarious and sad at the same time.

#15 Edited by Metamania (12010 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Lords of Shadow 2 will be a fine game in it's own right, just as the first was. But they are both terrible Castlevania games. What really irks me is that even the portable games are following this formula now, so even that safe bastion for traditional Castlevania games has been removed. It's just depressing. I still pine for a super slick state of the art high resolution 2D game with incredible and detailed animations, and a huge freaking map, and a story that details the events of the battle of 1999. You just can't have the final and real death of Dracula as a footnote.

I've been killing Dracula since the eighties, I really need that closure.

Yeah, I agree man. I don't see them as true Castlevania games either. Granted, I'm all for experimentation and trying out something new, but it should have been called something else and I would have been fine with that. In any case, LOD 1 is certainly a fun game thus far (I'm currently stuck at a boss at the moment), but I do look forward to playing LOD 2 in the future. In fact, I watched a gameplay trailer of it of Dracula taking on a golem (I think it was) and after beating him, you gain the ability to freeze objects like waterfalls or even monsters. It looked very cool, but I felt that the combat was a bit too GOW-ish for my taste.

#16 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Considering the poor sales of games like Darksiders and Kingdoms of Amalur, its a safe bet people who feel the urge to play Zelda type games prefer to play the Zelda games Nintendo churns out every year. Hopefully the camera won't be Dracula's deadliest enemy this time around.

I think having a 'shock' twist in the story (Dracula kills a family!) and then telegraphing it ahead of time is a weird move. Also questionable is designers who force players to do morally reprehensible things without giving them a measure of responsibility. For example, they could have scattered innocents around the game and had it so that they boosted the power of Dracula or maybe kept him alive if he used too much power. That way players would be forced to choose between doing what was right but hard and doing what was wrong but easy.

*Shrugs* But one probably shouldn't expect much from guys who look to CoD for storytelling inspiration. I suppose fans of the series should be grateful multiplayer wasn't shoehorned in.

#17 Edited by gamingqueen (31076 posts) -

Lord of shadows was my first castlevania game, while I enjoyed it honestly expected it to be a little different than other action/adventure games out there. The game borrowed heavily from my ultimate favorite which is shadow of the colossus and that was unforgivable. It was boring and tedious and the bosses in SOTC were far more enjoyable than the ones in LoS. Besides sotc, it borrowed from God of War, and again, GOw was more challenging and more entertaining. LoS felt so rigid and linear. I loved the soundtrack and the backgrounds looked stunning. Story-wise, I don't feel like I was properly introduced. I still have no clue who the main guy is and why did he end up like that at the very end. The only case I'm buying this is when there are no games to play.

#18 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

Considering the poor sales of games like Darksiders and Kingdoms of Amalur, its a safe bet people who feel the urge to play Zelda type games prefer to play the Zelda games Nintendo churns out every year. Hopefully the camera won't be Dracula's deadliest enemy this time around.

I think having a 'shock' twist in the story (Dracula kills a family!) and then telegraphing it ahead of time is a weird move. Also questionable is designers who force players to do morally reprehensible things without giving them a measure of responsibility. For example, they could have scattered innocents around the game and had it so that they boosted the power of Dracula or maybe kept him alive if he used too much power. That way players would be forced to choose between doing what was right but hard and doing what was wrong but easy.

*Shrugs* But one probably shouldn't expect much from guys who look to CoD for storytelling inspiration. I suppose fans of the series should be grateful multiplayer wasn't shoehorned in.

I agree with what you're saying, and it sounds like the execution is rather poor.

However, I get why they did it that way. They wanted to establish that Dracula is evil and, at that moment anyway, was completely cool with ending a family's life to preserve his own.

Again, it sounds rather heavy handed and forced but I personally want to see where they're taking this. Are we going to have to suffer through moments like this throughout the entire adventure? Will it frequently takes us away from feeling like a bad ass to remind us that we're evil? Will it try to make us feel guilty for enjoying the game? Or will we get to see a Dracula that embraced evil but we get to redeem him? Or maybe we'll be given the chance to succumb to that evil and continue that path. Cox said it was more like an RPG, maybe we'll get some choice.

So yeah, out of context the scene sounds forced and silly, but it might be great in the overall game. Here's hoping.

#19 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18474 posts) -

My attitude towards this franchise after playing the first game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

#20 Edited by alim298 (1392 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

My attitude towards this franchise after playing the first game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

What was so bad about the first game in your opinion? Because many people liked it. Maybe you never finished it?

#21 Edited by alim298 (1392 posts) -

Hey! New gameplay video! It looks much better than LOS1!!! (Sorry for the double posts)

Gameplay

#22 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18474 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

What was so bad about the first game in your opinion? Because many people liked it. Maybe you never finished it?

I own it and I did finish it. It's too long, full of recycled content and copy/paste sections (the giants, the chupacabras), an ok combat system dragged down by weird choices (like leaving the right stick basically unused and having the player click the sticks to absorb orbs). Bad camera, predictable story which was simply adapted post-writing to shoehorn the Castlevania license in.

Looks great and sounds fantastic, but the underlying game is only slightly above average.

#23 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

Wait what does Kingdoms of Amalur have to do with this?

Darksiders still went on to be a multimillion selling game so it did well for itself but it shows how difficult it is for an unknown property that is not some big FPS or super hyped game from a giant dev to get sales.

The point is new mechanics have been added to this game to make it BETTER. That is something everyone should be excited about. More puzzles, more exploration, better variety, a far deeper game than just run here and kill that.

#24 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@alim298 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Looks great and sounds fantastic, but the underlying game is only slightly above average.

Wow I want to play more of your slightly above average games. Its one of the best hack and slash games of last gen.

#25 Posted by alim298 (1392 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@alim298 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Wow I want to play more of your slightly above average games. Its one of the best hack and slash games of last gen.

He has a point though. Gameplay was pretty average in LOS1. Controls didn't feel great either. But I have to say story wasn't predictable. Who ever thought they're bringing Satan in a Casltevania game?

#26 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18474 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I might have agreed if the game wasn't so damn long: there's 6 hours-worth of content in there, spread out over 20 hours, with a tedious chupacabra section thrown in every 3 hours. I always thought Dante's Inferno is better in terms of pacing and gameplay, though LoS wins in the presentation and especially soundtrack department.

#27 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@dvader654 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I might have agreed if the game wasn't so damn long: there's 6 hours-worth of content in there, spread out over 20 hours, with a tedious cupacabra section thrown in every 3 hours. I always thought Dante's Inferno is better in terms of pacing and gameplay, though LoS wins in the presentation and especially soundtrack department.

I agree it was super long but it still had come great stuff in there. Really, Dante is better, first I hear anyone say that.

#28 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18474 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I might have agreed if the game wasn't so damn long: there's 6 hours-worth of content in there, spread out over 20 hours, with a tedious cupacabra section thrown in every 3 hours. I always thought Dante's Inferno is better in terms of pacing and gameplay, though LoS wins in the presentation and especially soundtrack department.

I agree it was super long but it still had come great stuff in there. Really, Dante is better, first I hear anyone say that.

I don't know about being outright better, but Dante is underrated, mostly due to the fact it doesn't belong to a popular franchise, conversely LoS gets a lot of slack thanks to the Castlevania name. Konami was super smart: they had this "ok" action game called Lords of Shadow, made by an unknown spanish studio and they had the brilliant idea to slap the Castlevania logo on it. Boom, instant cult following. It does have a few impressive sections (the raven queen boss for one), but it just made me wish to kiss a cobra after the third chupacabra.

If nothing else Dante has better pacing and I though the gameplay was more fluid and less fragmented.

#29 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

Sounds great to me. The first was pretty decent but this one sounds like it will be much better than the first!

#30 Posted by serbog (7 posts) -

I never played Zelda but I will try this game. The name is cool.

#31 Posted by Pedro (21072 posts) -

What game isn't like Zelda for you Mr Dvader?The last Zelda game sucked so, I don't see this as a plus. :o

#32 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Pedro said:

What game isn't like Zelda for you Mr Dvader?The last Zelda game sucked so, I don't see this as a plus. :o

Most games are nothing like Zelda. And on what planet did ALBW suck?

#33 Edited by Pedro (21072 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

@Pedro said:

Most games are nothing like Zelda. And on what planet did ALBW suck?

Crap I forgot that ALBW was on the home console. Silly me. I apologize for my error.

#34 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Every time a games comes out and you get to explore a little, unlock areas by back tracking with a new item and so on it suddenly gets a "ITS JUST LIKE ZELDA OMGZZZ!!!!!!!" comment somewhere.

Considering how shitty and boring Zelda has been for awhile I wouldn't consider this a note worthy comparison.

Besides, system shock was a great but just because a game is in first person and you can upgrade stuff doesn't automatically make it as good as system shock. By that measure every 2d platformer is automatically awesome because the original super Mario bros was on the NES.

#35 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Gargus said:

Every time a games comes out and you get to explore a little, unlock areas by back tracking with a new item and so on it suddenly gets a "ITS JUST LIKE ZELDA OMGZZZ!!!!!!!" comment somewhere.

Considering how shitty and boring Zelda has been for awhile I wouldn't consider this a note worthy comparison.

Besides, system shock was a great but just because a game is in first person and you can upgrade stuff doesn't automatically make it as good as system shock. By that measure every 2d platformer is automatically awesome because the original super Mario bros was on the NES.

Holy crap.

THE DEVELOPER SAID IT IS MORE LIKE ZELDA. A direct quote from him.

#36 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

Go Team Lords of Shadow.