Castlevania Identity Crisis:what should be the next Castlevania game be like?

• 58 results
Edited 2 months, 10 days ago

Poll: Castlevania Identity Crisis:what should be the next Castlevania game be like? (19 votes)

Make a 3d hack'n'slash/adventure game! 26%
Make a 2d classic action platformer! 63%
Make ANOTHER metroidvania without Koji! 21%
Sure all that! Just Remake the original trilogy and release it on XBLA,PSN&Steam like Castlevnania:rebirth. 0%

For good or for bad IGA left konami so obviously we're not going get another "symphony of the night 2.0" and mercurysteam is also done with its rebooted failure.

So now the main question is.. what do the fans really want in the next game? a 3d hack'n'slash/adventure game or a 2d sprite based action platformer like the original classics? or a metroidvania like SOTN?

Making a great 3d castlevania game seems like next to impossible to me the only way they can make a good castlevania game is if they give their IP to platinum games.

IMHO If konami can make a great 2d contra game in current gen then it should also be able to make a good 2d castlevania game.

#1 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18441 posts) -

Just as long as it's not Lords of Shadow

#2 Edited by SovietsUnited (2292 posts) -

A return to roots would be best; a simple story with the old aesthetic and mechanics.

#3 Edited by Ish_basic (4013 posts) -

Why not just let it die? Gamers are so weird that way. No one wants to see a movie they like get 20 sequels and people routinely complain about book series dragging on long after the author has ran out of ideas. But not gamers...let's play the same thing forever and point the finger at anyone who delivers a sub par entry as if it wasn't inevitable. Sometimes an idea has just run its course.

#4 Posted by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

Why not just let it die? Gamers are so weird that way. No one wants to see a movie they like get 20 sequels and people routinely complain about book series dragging on long after the author has ran out of ideas. But not gamers...let's play the same thing forever and point the finger at anyone who delivers a subpar entry. Sometimes an idea has just run its course.

I don't think it has "run its course IMO" after Rondo of blood it just deviated into complete&utter mess.. with all metroidvania and awful 3d sequels... ugh.. its just tragic, it would be a nice swan song to at least see Castlevania's original trilogy remade like adventure:rebirth.. and then maybe i can say "farewell" to this series.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (1745 posts) -

@Ish_basic: I agree

Let the franchise die and create something else instead

#6 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (799 posts) -

I think letting the franchise evolve is best. There are 10+ Metroid style Castlevania games and about 5-6 3D games? It's not like they've abandoned the 2D style gameplay, they came out with Mirror of Fate for the 3DS so, it's still there.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

Doesn't Matter... Castlevania doesn't belong to any of you.... The studio making it will decide what the next castlevania should be like.

#8 Posted by starwolf474 (620 posts) -

A linear platformer with a high difficulty like the classic series. And use a gothic artstyle again; no more of that anime crap.

#9 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I don't want another platformer 2d action/adventure game. Lords of Shadows series was pretty well done. The only problem was that they messed up at the story and at some aspects of the gameplay. Otherwise, it was a great series. If they can only fix those MAJOR faults and make the story a bit more mature then I would be more than happy with another LoS.

Everybody in this thread keeps saying 'we need to go back to roots'. Trust me, there's a whole generation of young gamers out there. They simply won't find your nostalgia to be as interesting as you would. Let this series evolve for good.

#10 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@geniobastardo

Do you know what the opposite of Nostalgist is ?

#11 Edited by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Doesn't Matter... Castlevania doesn't belong to any of you.... The studio making it will decide what the next castlevania should be like.

Yeah and they better make what the fans want instead of pulling a half-assed grimdark reboot.

@geniobastardo said:

Everybody in this thread keeps saying 'we need to go back to roots'. Trust me, there's a whole generation of young gamers out there. They simply won't find your nostalgia to be as interesting as you would. Let this series evolve for good.

I found out castlevnaia in 2008,i didn't even grow up in the 8bit&16 bit era and i love this game series! this is some of the retro game series that seriously needs to make a comeback.

@starwolf474 said:

A linear platformer with a high difficulty like the classic series. And use a gothic artstyle again; no more of that anime crap.

Simon's quest tried to use the "Gothic style" and it sucked balls,lords of shadow tried to use the "Gothic artstyle" and it sucked ass.

Castlevania is best is when its colorful and doesn't take itself too seriously... yeah i don't like the modern mainstream anime bullshit introduced in DOS either but i don't want Castlevania to become overly dark&edgy when the premise is so damn cliched&goofy.

#12 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@torenojohn7

Fanboys are an unreliable, unstable bunch...

Especially Old School Capcom fans.

#13 Posted by Doozie78 (236 posts) -

2d Platformer, with tons of metroidvania action! BRING IT ONNNNNNNNN!!!!

#14 Edited by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@torenojohn7

Fanboys are an unreliable, unstable bunch...

Especially Old School Capcom fans.

Not really.. old school capcom fans are pretty straightfoward on what they want.. its just that capcom likes to pander the mainstream dudebro audience for money.

#15 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

Yeah I get it... They want to re-experience President Evil like its the 1st time, they want every game after it to give the same unique experience as the 1st.... Thats never going to happen because its not actually possible, Infact games and Horror are at philosophical odds, games are masters of repitition but horror doesn't work in a Routine, each scare has to be unique. I know Most gamers are oblivious to fundemental game design, but common, this is practically common sense, fanboys at the very least should have that !

#16 Posted by YuDoDis2me (10 posts) -

@geniobastardo said:

I found out castlevnaia in 2008,i didn't even grow up in the 8bit&16 bit era and i love this game series! this is some of the retro game series that seriously needs to make a comeback.

But that comeback would get old fast. Trust me, this comeback would be nothing more than a 'remake' or a 'remaster'. We want the game to be revamped and rejuvenated. And for that, this series need to evolve into something else.

#17 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

Although to be fair,, video games are mostly about escapism, its possible the reason people forget common sense sometimes is because... They want an escape from that too.

#18 Edited by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@yudodis2me: You have a point but castlevania does need to get back to its roots seriously.. i mean Koji igarashi kinda ruined the original 2D series by making it too easy and too much of a grind fest.

Castlevania kinda needs another "Symphony of the night" a new game which gets lauded by both fans&critics alike,maybe they should just look for some indie devs who can really help them innovate rather than hiring some 3rd grade studious to make crappy reboots.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Yeah I get it... They want to re-experience President Evil like its the 1st time, they want every game after it to give the same unique experience as the 1st.... Thats never going to happen because its not actually possible, Infact games and Horror are at philosophical odds, games are masters of repitition but horror doesn't work in a Routine, each scare has to be unique. I know Most gamers are oblivious to fundemental game design, but common, this is practically common sense, fanboys at the very least should have that !

you know what? you don't like horror game concept fine! but others like me love horror games... if Capcom wasn't a greedy whore it would've made RE 5 much like RE3.5... instead of just making it even more action focused..

Horror games are NOT about scares anyway. its all about the atmosphere&challenging gameplay.. and i want it back!

#19 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@torenojohn7: Don't argue with this guy, seriously. All he does is start arguments for the sake of starting them, and thinks co-op will somehow save the industry (it won't). It's good for a laugh at the very least.

#20 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@torenojohn7

What ? I love Horror... I hate bad mechanics... :)

anyway President Evil 5 did have "atmosphere" and challenging gameplay. You're driven by Nostalgia. You may not want to be that way but sadly thats what you are... Theres only Castlevania game that would get you excited again is an HD Remake.

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Again, misconstruing my words to villainize me.... I think CO-OP is awesome and it should be everywhere, I don't actually care what it does to this industry, This hobby can burn in hell for all I care, just add CO-OP, Infact I'm going to make that my Sig.

#22 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I go by what you give me. If you think I'm misconstruing your words, please make your thoughts clearer and your arguments more cohesive so as not to sound like some elitist. Otherwise, of course people will take you the wrong way. And also, co-op doesn't work for every game, and shouldn't be included in every game possible.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

You're more than welcome to say whatever you want about me.... So long as its actually true, you don't understand my points no have you ever made the effort to do so.

As for CO-OP, we have different ideas about what a game is so..... Since yours pretty much revolves around things you like, you're not exactly the most reliable person to decide the fate of CO-OP.

#24 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Doesn't all gaming revolve around the tastes of individuals and groups? Isn't that why we have so many genres and types of games out there? Because there are too many gamers with different styles and opinions about what they seek out in a game?

And besides, I understand your points loud and clear. You hate video game stories and any attempts for them to even try, think RPGs are too focused on numbers instead of gameplay, prefer co-op in every possible game, and can never excuse bad mechanics even when their deliberate (which makes me think how you even like L.A. Noire in the first place), and are so focused on mechanics that you can't even see the other reasons why people love gaming in the first place to coincide with mechanics, so that games that don't exactly feel like "typical" games aren't considered games at all in your book. That's all fine and good, and that's your opinion on things. I can respect that you have these opinions and want to share them, as I want the same thing. You have your views, I have mine, and there's more than enough room for both in this wonderful industry.

But to understand them is one thing. To disagree with them is another thing entirely, and I quite frankly disagree with you on many things, especially the ones I've listed that you've explicitly stated on this particular discussion forum over and over again. So no, I don't misconstrue what you say. I read and base my thoughts on what you say. Now, do I agree with your opinions? No. Do I agree with the method by which you present your opinion? No. That's not a crime, it's just the nature of debate. You can't just magically expect someone to agree with another point of view.

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Yours revolves around yours alone... Think we would be having this "conversation" if it didn't ?

#26 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Yours revolves around yours alone... Think we would be having this "conversation" if it didn't ?

#27 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: And you're not doing the same exact thing? Kind of odd of you to be saying that when you're doing exactly what you're calling me out on.

#28 Edited by Sushiglutton (5274 posts) -

3D Hn'S, but linear. None of this OW/stealth stuff. First LoS was fine, they just needed to trim it and remove 5h and instead polish gameplay.

#29 Posted by pook99 (81 posts) -

I don't have a preference, I enjoyed the lords of shadows games and don't understand why everyone is so down on them. I also loved every 2d castlevania game(both Metroid vania and traditional). I think they should do one old school 2d platformer just because it's been so long since we got one, but I would be happy no matter which direction the series goes.

#30 Posted by AgeThe6 (97 posts) -

I just wanted to start off by saying that I really enjoyed the Lords of Shadow franchise/series of games. I think the second one was okay could have been a lot better. But if they continue with the Mirror of fate style gameplay with 3-D graphics and 2-D gameplay I would be okay if that as long as they are fun adventure games. Because Lords of Shadow was the only game series that I thought did justice to vampires and werewolves and stuff of that nature.

I do not want a 2-D game that is too hard to enjoy but I do accept a nice challenge as long as it's got some nice 3-D graphics it could be very awesome to play and watch.

#31 Edited by Notorious1234NA (573 posts) -

3D

2D dying unless its a fighter this isn't 1990s ppl get with it. Games evolve even the Street Fighter couldn't remain fully 2D. Only the handhelds should be 2D but the console versions should be on the same scale as GOW, DMC, Witcher

#32 Posted by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

@agethe6 said:

I just wanted to start off by saying that I really enjoyed the Lords of Shadow franchise/series of games. I think the second one was okay could have been a lot better. But if they continue with the Mirror of fate style gameplay with 3-D graphics and 2-D gameplay I would be okay if that as long as they are fun adventure games. Because Lords of Shadow was the only game series that I thought did justice to vampires and werewolves and stuff of that nature.

I do not want a 2-D game that is too hard to enjoy but I do accept a nice challenge as long as it's got some nice 3-D graphics it could be very awesome to play and watch.

You speak my words lad. LoS was the only game I ever played that did some justice to this theme. We want more mature games stemming out of this theme and that's where Castlevania is at. I've played the older Castlevanias but in all honesty, those seemed pretty non serious. They were enjoyable nonetheless. But I would LOVE to see another LoS styled Castlevania but with a better polished gameplay and a more coherent storyline. I thoroughly loved the first LoS despite the fixed camera. Mirrors of Fate was great too. LoS 2 had a slow start but gradually got better but it was the ending that almost ruined the game.

Gothic environments, Vampires, werewolves, Big haunting Castles..... who the hell in his right mind wouldn't want to see those in 3d graphics??!! Bloodborne is now doing the same thing but is getting a lot of praise. If only Castlevania does that, I'm 110% sure that it's going to be a LOT better than Bloodborne if done right.

#33 Edited by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@agethe6 said:

@daforsaken1 said:

You speak my words lad. LoS was the only game I ever played that did some justice to this theme. We want more mature games stemming out of this theme and that's where Castlevania is at. I've played the older Castlevanias but in all honesty, those seemed pretty non serious. They were enjoyable nonetheless. But I would LOVE to see another LoS styled Castlevania but with a better polished gameplay and a more coherent storyline. I thoroughly loved the first LoS despite the fixed camera. Mirrors of Fate was great too. LoS 2 had a slow start but gradually got better but it was the ending that almost ruined the game.

Gothic environments, Vampires, werewolves, Big haunting Castles..... who the hell in his right mind wouldn't want to see those in 3d graphics??!! Bloodborne is now doing the same thing but is getting a lot of praise. If only Castlevania does that, I'm 110% sure that it's going to be a LOT better than Bloodborne if done right.

If you guys really want to play a video game that does justice to the vampire lore play LEGACY OF KAIN! lords of shadow is like pathetic 13 yr old emo fan fiction about castlevania which rips off generic video game character with a "Brooding dark guy with a dark past where he accidentally killed his family" ugh...jesus give me a BREAK!

Castlevania was always supposed to be lighthearted cheesy amalgamation of monster myths like Devil may cry! it was never supposed to take itself too seriously.

Lords of shadow has no goddamn originality,it has no interesting story,no unique gameplay everything is just ripped off from popular game franchises with 0% creativity put into it... when its not downright boring,its downright nauseating.

@notorious1234na said:

3D

2D dying unless its a fighter this isn't 1990s ppl get with it. Games evolve even the Street Fighter couldn't remain fully 2D. Only the handhelds should be 2D but the console versions should be on the same scale as GOW, DMC, Witcher

Street fighter is still 2d BTW it just uses 3d character models.. i just don't see this aversion towards 2d gaming .. 2d gaming is doing just as good as 3d games... so not its NOT "dying" or anything.

This is NOT 1999 anymore not every console game has to be forced to use 3d...geez kids these days.

#34 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@torenojohn7

And as you can see from those Pictures... CO-OP is kind of mandatory if you you're going to Sacrifice on of the Dimensions.... I think thats a fair trade. :)

#35 Posted by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Your obsession with Co-op is rather peculiar.

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@torenojohn7

CO-OP is awesome ! If you have someone to co-op with ofcourse !

#37 Posted by torenojohn7 (315 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Co-op is like bacon.. no matter how delicious it is its not the main course.

#38 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@torenojohn7

Doesn't Matter ! Just put Everywhere !

#39 Posted by drodriguesaar (19 posts) -

An Castlevania SON hd remaster? With improved graphics and sound? (Honestly, the chars voices sucks)

#40 Edited by Notorious1234NA (573 posts) -

@torenojohn7: Money talks money says 3D

The issue I was bringing to the table is that apart from 2D fighters, 2D games don't appeal to the masses or make much of an impact. If that weren't the case, we would see more 2D mainstream games on consoles. Castlevania is really a niche franchise trying to make a name for itself on consoles. You are NOT going to do that by porting a Nintendo DS game to a PS4 which is essentially what you are advocating. People who bought a PS4 do not expect low grade simple indie games. Just buy a $300 laptop for that, apps on phone, or a low end PC. People who bought a PS4 expect AAA games like Witcher 3. Who are you fooling and Rayman is a poor example as that 2 decade IP has been irrelevant for years. If you wanna bark sales well new flash nearly every reimagination of Rayman flopped by today's standards and is backed by Ubisoft. If Watch Dogs wasn't proof enough, any major publisher with the right marketing can push crap aka BF4, FF13, etc. As to why the aversion, well do you play videogames? Obviously it is because of the numerous limitations the comes with a 2D game.

#41 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@notorious1234na: "2D games don't appeal to the masses or make much of an impact."

So then Rayman Origins and Legends, Shovel Knight, Braid, Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, and Strider don't appeal to the masses? Some of the most highly rated and best-selling modern 2D games out there?

#42 Posted by Notorious1234NA (573 posts) -
#43 Posted by Archangel3371 (15545 posts) -

I'd love to see a highly detailed 2D Castlevania in either the classic action/platformer style like Super Castlevania IV or in the Metroidvania style like Symphony of the Night.

#44 Posted by Daforsaken1 (71 posts) -

@torenojohn7: Legacy of Kain is pretty old now. To fulfill the hunger of the masses, LoK needs to come back. As for Castlevania, if you say that it was all about cheesy fun, then that's all the more reason for it to be changed into something else. Let me take the example of Tomb Raider now. We've had lots of TR iterations in the past which were mindless goofy games solely intended for fun. But slowly you see, as more Tomb Raiders came out, it started losing it's popularity. People had ENOUGH of that. They wanted to see the different side of Lara Croft. And Square Enix did exactly that. TR was changed from a goofy cheesy action-adventure game in which you stare at pixelated tits and masturbate to something completely different. Something which was more dark, gritty and more story-driven (I've seen your other thread as well in which you're complaining about it. You'll have to convince me why it's wrong before I go on).

I don't understand the point why people are calling LoS generic. Like every game that has God and satan and demon and stuff involving is generic?? gimme a break! . Yes the combat was derivative ( not RIPOFF because it was better than GoW's). Other gameplay mechanics were too derivated but isn't that what works in the industry now?? I mean isn't every other military shooter trying to follow CoD's suite? Coming up with something entirely innovative isn't something to propound to the devs who're trying to make a big-budget game not an indie. I already had this debate once. It's too risky.

LoS might have adopted the stereotype but it is NOT generic, not by any means!

As for the story, I actually really loved it. Even though they messed it up in LoS2, it was still pretty good. After seeing your other thread, I can only concur that you're pretty unsatisfied with the industry now. Not your fault though, most of the people are. But those people belong to a minority.

I'm not saying that there shouldn't be another 2d metroidvania-styled Castlvania. Yes there should be. At least to fulfill your guy's demands. But if someone seriously wants to take up this project. They'd better make it something new. We can't always have the same dose of the same thing. If people SO want it to never change. They'd better pick up their SNES and start playing the old Caslevania's without bothering anyone.

PS, sorry for the late reply, blame the post limit.

#45 Edited by CTR360 (7049 posts) -

better story better graphics more puzzles thats need next CASTLEVANIA for me

#46 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@CTR360

No CO-OP ? :(

#47 Posted by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Castlevania has never been about co-op to begin with, nor does it need it now.

#48 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Games don't operate on "needs". Add CO-OP because I want it there, naturally what everybody else wants doesn't matter because CO-OP is mandatory ! :p

#49 Edited by mastermetal777 (1298 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Of course, because devs don't care one bit about what their player base wants. Where did I hear that Castlevania needed co-op from their player base? Oh wait, gotta smash that damn cricket again.

#50 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11818 posts) -

@mastermetal777

Its either CO-OP or more Lords Of Shadow... Which was pretty good too.