Cant stop going back to Dark Souls

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kevin5454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kevin5454
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
I played Dark Souls a lot last year and I loved it. One of the best games ever made in my opinion. I've put a lot of hours into Dark Souls and have been playing other games like Skyrim, Battlefield, and a few others, but I find that I keep comparing them to Dark Souls and just getting bored and going back to playing Dark Souls. The only game I have actually fully beat since Dark Souls is the ocarina of time. I recently started playing Borderlands 2 and its a good game, but it just seemed to get repetitive and I'm back to Dark Souls. My point is that Dark Souls seems to have lessened my enjoyment of other games to an extent. I may just have it up on a pedestal but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
mikeyMKII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mikeyMKII
Member since 2009 • 754 Posts

I know the feeling. I finally did stop, after getting platinum. Though when I get around to buying the Artorias dlc, I'll hop back on.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I played Dark Souls a lot last year and I loved it. One of the best games ever made in my opinion. I've put a lot of hours into Dark Souls and have been playing other games like Skyrim, Battlefield, and a few others, but I find that I keep comparing them to Dark Souls and just getting bored and going back to playing Dark Souls. The only game I have actually fully beat since Dark Souls is the ocarina of time. I recently started playing Borderlands 2 and its a good game, but it just seemed to get repetitive and I'm back to Dark Souls. My point is that Dark Souls seems to have lessened my enjoyment of other games to an extent. I may just have it up on a pedestal but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.kevin5454

Not with Dark Souls, but after the Trophy Patch for MGS4 was out I played it again and again and again and again and.....again. Still not have platinumed it, and wouldn't I had have to make space on my PS3 HDD for AC III and Dishonored I'd probably still would play it a freaking lot.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts
Yup it was the same with demons soul. Best games this gen.
kevin5454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kevin5454
Good to see some people have experienced this also. Does anyone know if FROMSOFTWARE is planning on making another souls game?
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Good to see some people have experienced this also. Does anyone know if FROMSOFTWARE is planning on making another souls game?kevin5454

If so, FROMSOFTWARE will know it first. With GameSpot as a close second ;)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
[QUOTE="kevin5454"]Good to see some people have experienced this also. Does anyone know if FROMSOFTWARE is planning on making another souls game?

Count on it. I imagine the only reason we didn't see anything on it at this year's TGS is that it is being developed for systems that haven't been announced yet.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#8 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I am yet to pick up any of the Souls games. I feel i wont have the patience for them. Patience to re-try the same thing over and over again with no progression that is.

noize_suppress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 noize_suppress
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

Have been gaming for around 20 years, And Dark Souls is the absolute best game i have ever played. Spent over 70 hours on Dark Souls and have not spent that many hours on a game in years.

noize_suppress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 noize_suppress
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

Have been gaming for around 20 years, And Dark Souls is the absolute best game i have ever played. Spent over 70 hours on Dark Souls and have not spent that many hours on a game in years.

kevin5454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kevin5454

I am yet to pick up any of the Souls games. I feel i wont have the patience for them. Patience to re-try the same thing over and over again with no progression that is.

EvilSelf

One of my favorite things about the game is that everything you fight can be a challenge. To get through an area can take a long time but it is very rewarding to learn each enemies fighting style and be able to eventually progress. Then again the game isnt for everyone so if you don't like getting frusturated then it might not be for you.

Borrizee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Borrizee
Member since 2012 • 428 Posts

[QUOTE="EvilSelf"]

kevin5454

One of my favorite things about the game is that everything you fight can be a challenge. To get through an area can take a long time but it is very rewarding to learn each enemies fighting style and be able to eventually progress. Then again the game isnt for everyone so if you don't like getting frusturated then it might not be for you.

noize_suppress
same here. Demon's soul and Dark souls are a challenge,it was a long time that I experienced that. Gaming for 24 years now and only Zelda on the 8-bit did that to me. But then again...I was 8.
da_chub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 da_chub
Member since 2007 • 3140 Posts
yea, im level 47 with a new char for my 5th actual playthough in less then a year. only other game i can say this is Zelda SS which im up to 4 times.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
Played Dark Souls until I got the platinum trophy. I'll probably go back and replay next year too. I got it down to where I can beat the game in about 10 hours (possibly less).
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#15 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Count on it. I imagine the only reason we didn't see anything on it at this year's TGS is that it is being developed for systems that haven't been announced yet.rragnaar

Oh man, I sure hope so. A next-gen game in the Souls series would be incredible.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#16 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

With my first paycheck coming in tomorrow from my new job, I may pick up Dark Souls and try it out again. I just wish they included an easy difficulty option...

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

With my first paycheck coming in tomorrow from my new job, I may pick up Dark Souls and try it out again. I just wish they included an easy difficulty option...Metamania

The challenge is part of the fun. Just stick with it. Things will start clicking as you play more.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

With my first paycheck coming in tomorrow from my new job, I may pick up Dark Souls and try it out again. I just wish they included an easy difficulty option...

Metamania
Lure enemies out with arrows so you don't have to engage crowds. Lock on to your enemy, keep your shield up. Circle them until their back is exposed, lower your shield and backstab them. Luring and backstabbing is 'easy mode'. It works very well with a high dexterity character. Daggers and katanas make quick work of most enemies in the game.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]With my first paycheck coming in tomorrow from my new job, I may pick up Dark Souls and try it out again. I just wish they included an easy difficulty option...c_rake

The challenge is part of the fun. Just stick with it. Things will start clicking as you play more.

That's part of the reason why I traded it in though; I died way too much. Yes, I know it's my fault for dying, but if that happens a lot, then the game gets frustrating and unplayable because of it. No one wants to play a videogame if isn't fun for them at all.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Have you played the witcher 2?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Metamania

ristactionjakso

Yes, but I didn't get that far in it to determine if I enjoyed it or not, nor would I be able to give you a huge impression about it.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#22 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Metamania

Yes, but I didn't get that far in it to determine if I enjoyed it or not, nor would I be able to give you a huge impression about it.

It took a good 5 hours before I got into the interesting part of thr game. It's one of the best I've played.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Dark Souls is one of the few games I've played over the past year. I have 150 hours into it and I still haven't finished the game. I'm still collecting armor and weapons. I've barely touched the PVP I mostly play single player.

My back log of games keeps growing I don't want to play anything else till I finish Dark Souls.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I found Demon's Souls to be utterly compelling but only managed to beat it because I clung to the strategy guide like a toddler to its mother's hand (never did get the hang of the whole world tendency thing, though).

I understand that Dark Souls is tough, but how fair is it? Is there a lot of grinding to be done? Can I develop my character in any way I want and have an equal chance of success no matter what I choose, or will I get to a point where it's next to impossible to proceed because I haven't levelled up in a specific way?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Minishdriveby
Did anyone else's dark soul experience turn into a hack and slash adventure when you got to a boss? That's seriously all I do for every boss.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Did anyone else's dark soul experience turn into a hack and slash adventure when you got to a boss? That's seriously all I do for every boss.Minishdriveby

It was for me for some time. I go up against a boss now and the strategy is always to circle around for 3-4 two handed swings and then dodge roll away. Rinse and repeat.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Minishdriveby

[QUOTE="Minishdriveby"]Did anyone else's dark soul experience turn into a hack and slash adventure when you got to a boss? That's seriously all I do for every boss.gpuFX16

It was for me for some time. I go up against a boss now and the strategy is always to circle around for 3-4 two handed swings and then dodge roll away. Rinse and repeat.

Half the time I didn't even bother to roll away (depending on how large the boss was/how much damage the boss did to me). Like The Four Kings I just ran up and smashed the R1 button a bunch of times and used estus flasks when I was low on health, but I never moved outside of his attack radius.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Half the time I didn't even bother to roll away (depending on how large the boss was/how much damage the boss did to me). Like The Four Kings I just ran up and smashed the R1 button a bunch of times and used estus flasks when I was low on health, but I never moved outside of his attack radius.Minishdriveby

Yeah I do the same for the 4K, just hack at 'em and Crest Shield for the magic AoE wave.