Can you install a game from Steam to a different computer?

venom0706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By venom0706
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts

I have several games in my Steam library. I was wondering whether it is possible to install them on a different computer? Also, is it possible to remove games from the library? I have some games which I bought months ago, but I don't play, so is it possible to remove them? Thank you.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

To answer your first question, you can install all your Steam games onto any computer that can log into Steam and run the game.

To answer your second question, you can not remove games from your library, but you can filter out favourites. Just right click on the game in the library list, select "add to favourites" and then go to "favourites" under the library menu at the top.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@venom0706 said:

I have several games in my Steam library. I was wondering whether it is possible to install them on a different computer? Also, is it possible to remove games from the library? I have some games which I bought months ago, but I don't play, so is it possible to remove them? Thank you.

As already mentioned you can install it on any computer and you can also use family sharing.

And no you cannot remove any game on steam, once you own it you own it and it will be there, you can hide as mentioned above.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@venom0706: I have Steam installed on three computers. Some games have their own activation/DRM that may limit the number of times they can activate but in general there's no restriction on how many different places you can install your Steam games although only one computer can be "actively" logged into Steam at one time.

And as mentioned, you can't remove games from your library. I've been a bit annoyed by this because there are some games that I have in my library that are frankly so shitty I would love to delete them. As also mentioned, you can use favorites to filter what games you see, though.

-Byshop

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

1) You can easily transfer Steam games between computers/drives/folders.

Just copy and paste the steam/steamapps/common folder for your game to the other computer's steamapp/common folder, and 'install' the game on Steam. Steam will automatically identify what files you already have, and might not have to download anything extra.

2) To hide games from your Steam library, right-click on your game and click 'set category'. There you'll see an option to hide the game from your games list.

Don't bother with favouriting your games to hide other - it take too much time and effort.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Planeforger said:

Just copy and paste the steam/steamapps/common folder for your game to the other computer's steamapp/common folder, and 'install' the game on Steam. Steam will automatically identify what files you already have, and might not have to download anything extra.

Didn't know this worked.

Now I am thinking about buying a large external HDD to store all my games on so I don't have to delete/reinstall them so often to save room on my main computer HDD.