Can exclusives save this generation?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by jasonredemption (393 posts) -

Ok everyone needs so badly to take a chill pill about graphics.

1. This 1080 vs 720/900 resolution craziness is becoming ridiculous.

2. We're still at the beginning of this generation. It's not multiplats it's the cross-generational multiplats that are causing a lack of "next gen" graphics.

3. This stuff happens at the transition of each and every generation. This generation is not about to die because a few games don't look AMAZING. It's unfortunate because Watch Dogs might be the best game on the previous generation and basically a forgotten game on this generation simply because it's attempted to straddle the line.

4. We as gamers need to STOP being graphic whores. Gameplay is not just resolution, textures, models, animation and hi-res drawing distance it's about story immersion, fun, exploration, story and engaging world that sucks us in. While graphics aid in these things they are not the end all, be all.

I know we all want to justify throwing $400-500 at a new console but let's give it some time. Yes, the PS4 and XBONE don't have a lot of games either. But again, this happens EACH and EVERY generation.

#52 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

you're being really general about this generation. PS3 games looked like crap the first years and looked the best at the end of the gen. Resolution doesn't matter on consoles anyway. If you want graphics, go for pc. It does matter a little sometimes if you have both consoles or just want the prettier version

#53 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

you're being really general about this generation. PS3 games looked like crap the first years and looked the best at the end of the gen. Resolution doesn't matter on consoles anyway. If you want graphics, go for pc. It does matter a little sometimes if you have both consoles or just want the prettier version

Ubisoft has only itself to blame. They are the ones that posted a fake trailer When a company posts fake trailers, consumers tend to count that against a game, even if the game's graphics are fine on their own. Remember Sony's CGtastic 2005 E3 trailers? The top trailer is real gameplay footage and looked fine on its own, but it wasn't in the same league as the fake trailer Sony unveiled the game with. To avoid graphics controversies, all companies need to do is not lie to consumers.

Also, I don't see why you and jasonredemption are going on about resolution. Both the real and the fake footage of Watchdogs are the same resolution (1080p).

#54 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

No. they didnt save the wii u and they wont save this gen. Publishers getting their act together and gutting expensive multiplayer components and marketing costs is what will save this industry. BatmanAk is a step in the right direction. having 5skus in dev is pretty fucking stupid too.

Exclusives are definitely not going to be as frequent as they were last gen. MS has closed more studios than they have opened and Sony has no reason to invest in exclusives now that theyre on top. Nintendo is struggling with HD development as well. so far no game looks like that zelda demo. sad times.

Cranking out 99 Mario games didn't work too well for the Wii U/Nintendo because they all hit the same relatively small target audience.

First parties make most of their money on games, not hardware, so while there are things a lack of competition can impact, I don't think the number of exclusives offered by a first party is among them. Prior to 2010 (before the bottom fell out of the casual console/dedicated handheld market) Nintendo offered a lot of casual games because they sold really well. Once those games stopped putting up huge numbers due to increasing competition (from smartphones and Kinect) and consumers just drifting away, Nintendo stopped making them.

Look at the three systems that dominated their generations (the NES, PS1, PS2 and the Nintendo portables) one doesn't see a pattern of declining support once dominance was established because the goal of first parties isn't to beat the other guy, its to sell games. Nobody says 'Our competitors have stopped selling. Mission accomplished! We're stop making games now.' On the contrary systems which dominate tend to pour it on because companies like money.

All that being said, I agree retail exclusives will be less frequent, but some of that is because the business model is changing. Warhawk (my favorite multiplayer game last gen) hit retail and PSN on the same day for $40. Nowadays such a game would be cheaper (or FTP, which isn't of course, necessarily cheaper) because the developer of a relatively low budget only game would avoid retail (whose cut constitutes almost half the price of a game) and thus make more money per copy sold while charging consumers a lower price.

#55 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

@CarnageHeart: i just hope that isn't the case of them screwing us over

#56 Posted by platinumking320 (667 posts) -
@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jacanuk

Nice Try Twinkle toes, you're still wrong about Watch Dogs and Ubisoft.

Good to see you're not TOO caught up in the photo-realism gate. Sure trade show trailers may have to be a little more honest about visuals and show off evolving gameplay, artstyle and animations if the graphics they tease aren't gonna make the final cut.

'sides. The folks who have the most incentive for high graphics (High end PC users) still have a multitude of other incentives to fall back on, FOV adjustments, modifications, skins, higher framerates, and other customizations which a 'vanilla' console experience don't get as much of.

Here's hoping the gameplay is fun come late May. These are the guys that brought us FC3 after all.

#57 Edited by jasonredemption (393 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

Also, I don't see why you and jasonredemption are going on about resolution. Both the real and the fake footage of Watchdogs are the same resolution (1080p).

It's just something that's been over hyped in the news. Every new multiplat game coming to PS4 and XBONE gets the whole resolution comparison. Then we had this recent Killzone: Shadowfall (4 months after its release) "not really 1080" supposed news item. It just gets old. Makes me wonder what we really care about when it comes to games.

My mention of it really has nothing to do with Watch Dogs specifically.

#58 Posted by Jacanuk (5476 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ Jacanuk

Nice Try Twinkle toes, you're still wrong about Watch Dogs and Ubisoft.

Nice comeback , but please try again mate, coming from you rainbow it means nothing since its not the first time you have tried to take part in a debate you knew nothing about.

#59 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (17061 posts) -

@ platinumking320

Well, I lean't my lesson with Bioshock Infinte, will never preoder any game ever again.

Watch Dogs is a new IP and a cross gen title, I'm sure thats a tall order and I'm not expecting much, but we just might be on the ground floor of something truly milk-worth, lol. I'm not getting it though, I'm doing a priority reassement until this gen finaly sets in and finds its Rythym, Nintendos future seems pretty clear.

@ Jacanuk

You're the one deflecting everything I say by sticking your fingers in your ears and calling anyone who disputes your clear biased against this game and Studio a Troll, as if you think its some kinda of Magica, verbal forcefield. And thank you, took me all night to think up that comeback. :( you have no Idea whats its like when people don't appreciat....... Oh .... You being sarcastic weren't you ? Not cool !

#60 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

what am i missing here :o? I am too lazy to read the entire debate :P

#61 Posted by Jacanuk (5476 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ platinumking320

Well, I lean't my lesson with Bioshock Infinte, will never preoder any game ever again.

Watch Dogs is a new IP and a cross gen title, I'm sure thats a tall order and I'm not expecting much, but we just might be on the ground floor of something truly milk-worth, lol. I'm not getting it though, I'm doing a priority reassement until this gen finaly sets in and finds its Rythym, Nintendos future seems pretty clear.

@ Jacanuk

You're the one deflecting everything I say by sticking your fingers in your ears and calling anyone who disputes your clear biased against this game and Studio a Troll, as if you think its some kinda of Magica, verbal forcefield. And thank you, took me all night to think up that comeback. :( you have no Idea whats its like when people don't appreciat....... Oh .... You being sarcastic weren't you ? Not cool !

First next time you come into a debate try to figure if its a subjective debate or its objective, and also a small advice. When debating its bad to open up with a insult.

Anyways hey its fine that you like Arkham Origins and its fine that you think despite a pretty vocal community that Watch Dogs looks like it did when they showed it off at E3 and previews after E3. Thats your right, but please don't act like your opinion is the correct one. Its just bad for you and particular when you have a rep of someone who jumps into debates and trolling by acting like you know something and then dropping at a point that infact you had no idea what the f the debate was about.

#62 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

i'd say the mistaken notion that the console gaming can ever be saved. many, imo, seem to think all the fluff like exclusives, social media, etc. will bring about the necessary change to return the gaming industry to its glory days.

I say it is beyond hope, since, the gaming companies are too far gone in their hunger for money and power.

#63 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

i'd say the mistaken notion that the console gaming can ever be saved. many, imo, seem to think all the fluff like exclusives, social media, etc. will bring about the necessary change to return the gaming industry to its glory days.

I say it is beyond hope, since, the gaming companies are too far gone in their hunger for money and power.

What? Everyone said gaming consoles were dead last year and that nobody wants to buy consoles anymore. Yet we have two best selling consoles atm

#64 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

I didn't say anything about sales or popularity. that will basically be the same from here on out with typical ebbs and flows.

i'm talking about consumer rights/power and high-quality games.

THAT era in consoles is forever gone.

#65 Edited by Jacanuk (5476 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

What are you talking about? Console gaming be saved?

I think that 16-17 mill sold next-gen consoles X1/Ps4/WiiU is a pretty obvious sign that console gaming is alive and doing great. And if that doesnt convince you a look at GTAV with 32+mill sold copies is even a clearly sign that not just next-gen but also old-gen console gaming is doing great.

You personally might not like it but calling Console gaming dead or in need of some kind of save is just stupid.

#66 Edited by Jacanuk (5476 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

I didn't say anything about sales or popularity. that will basically be the same from here on out with typical ebbs and flows.

Ok, this is just crazy when there is titles like GTA V, The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, Halo, Titanfall, RDR, Dead Rising 3, and a ton of other exclusives on consoles and multiplatform titles.

I think you must have drunk a huge bottle of "nostalgic 1990´s" or something like that because console gaming as mentioned in the other post, is alive and doing better then ever.

#67 Posted by Tqricardinho (434 posts) -

This generation has only started and you're already saying it needs salvation? Wow...

#68 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

lol, tlou and gta5 are my most overrated games of all time. as well, i'm NOT talking about the games, though, I easily could. I don't play multiplayer. my point of view for this conversation has to do with the ever-tightening tyranny of the companies in the gaming industry and our continual reduction of consumer power.

let's see if any of these mean a thing to you: unfinished releases, day1 dlc, on-disc dlc, overpriced dlc, digital prices equal to physical/both overpriced, required online verification, season passes, pay2playfree2play and micro's, too name a few quick ones.

now, let's throw in the games and start talking about concepts like, dumbed-down, handholding, "cinematic presentation", accessibility/streamlining and mediocre/uninspired/rehashed gameplay.

yes, the things I listed about games are subjective, but, they are definitely issues for many people.

the other issues are fact and to say they aren't negatively impacting the industry is laughable.

#69 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152126 posts) -

Whining about graphics...really?

#70 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@Tqricardinho:

lol, no, that's not even close to what I said.

#71 Posted by Jacanuk (5476 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@Jacanuk:

lol, tlou and gta5 are my most overrated games of all time. as well, i'm NOT talking about the games, though, I easily could. I don't play multiplayer. my point of view for this conversation has to do with the ever-tightening tyranny of the companies in the gaming industry and our continual reduction of consumer power.

let's see if any of these mean a thing to you: unfinished releases, day1 dlc, on-disc dlc, overpriced dlc, digital prices equal to physical/both overpriced, required online verification, season passes, pay2playfree2play and micro's, too name a few quick ones.

now, let's throw in the games and start talking about concepts like, dumbed-down, handholding, "cinematic presentation", accessibility/streamlining and mediocre/uninspired/rehashed gameplay.

yes, the things I listed about games are subjective, but, they are definitely issues for many people.

the other issues are fact and to say they aren't negatively impacting the industry is laughable.

I get your complaints but you know why does thing exist? because gamers pay for them and keep paying for it, also i think you are acting a bit arrogant here, its like the casual vs hardcore gamer debate.

What you are angry at is a result of gaming become mainstream and i dont think thats a bad thing, with mainstream comes cash and with cash comes games, so how can anyone be annoyed at that.

And for "hardcore" gamers like you, there is a huge indie market out there where i am 100% positive that you can find great console games also that is to your liking, not to mention you can always go play Dark Souls 1 and 2 soon.

#72 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@Jacanuk:

I understand your comments, but, I am not being "arrogant" in any way. nor, is the hardcore vs casual debate about arrogance, for me. they are my legitimate concerns and I am passionate about them.

I agree that consumers are the ones that can change the industry on a dime, but, I am NOT against gaming being mainstream. lol, heck no.

I simply would like consumers to be smart and realize they have the ultimate power and their decisions are leading us all into a bad future.

and, i want better games. or, how about finished products, lol? can we at least start there? or, actual competent a.i.?

as well, games that can be proven to have mediocre and uninspired and rehashed gameplay all done in a nice package (gta5/tlou) are touted as great games. now, i know it's subjective, but, the lack of deep, meaningful, complex and innovative games is becoming glaringly obvious.

again, i usually don't say it due to absurdity, but, this is all my opinion and i recognize it as such. however, there are thousands of people out there who feel the same way i do and, therefore, to not give it some thought would be foolish.

#73 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

So Why is GTA V the best selling game EVER and not on pc, mobile, tablets, etc. Why are PS4 and X1 the fastest selling consoles EVER?

#74 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16983 posts) -

It's only been a little over three months since the PS4 and XB1 were released. Perhaps after a year and half (maybe two), then the thread title might make sense.

#75 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto said:

It's only been a little over three months since the PS4 and XB1 were released. Perhaps after a year and half (maybe two), then the thread title might make sense.

But people can't wait to bash consoles as soon as they have the chance. Just look at some of the comments

#76 Posted by Bigboi500 (30497 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Whining about graphics...really?

I know... this is a first for me lol, but after spending $400 for a new console I expect more than new games on it looking like they're for PS3.

#77 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (633 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: for the record, i'm not bashing the consoles themselves. I have nothing against more powerful specs, hardware, power, etc..

and, that also has nothing to do with my position that I've made quite clear and as to why.

lol, yes, please answer the question as to why gta5 would sell like it did, despite, having clichéd story, characters, jokes and dialogue combined with redundant and rehashed gameplay? and, don't even get me started about tlou and it's perfectly mediocre gameplay.

but, again, my argument doesn't even hinge on the games themselves. I understand subjectivity and that issue can be tackled later on, specifically and directly.

i'm talking about excessive greed and anti-consumer policies, primarily, when I refer to consoles having passed its golden age. the high volume of trash games is but my cherry on top.

#78 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73939 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride: for the record, i'm not bashing the consoles themselves. I have nothing against more powerful specs, hardware, power, etc..

and, that also has nothing to do with my position that I've made quite clear and as to why.

lol, yes, please answer the question as to why gta5 would sell like it did, despite, having clichéd story, characters, jokes and dialogue combined with redundant and rehashed gameplay? and, don't even get me started about tlou and it's perfectly mediocre gameplay.

but, again, my argument doesn't even hinge on the games themselves. I understand subjectivity and that issue can be tackled later on, specifically and directly.

i'm talking about excessive greed and anti-consumer policies, primarily, when I refer to consoles having passed its golden age. the high volume of trash games is but my cherry on top.

Yet who introduced and killed used games for pc's? That's the consumer being screwed over. You can say all you want about those two games. But GTA V is the best selling game ever and the highest grossing form of media ever, beating anything in entertainment and it's generic? The Last of Us winning the most awards ever for game of the year and it's just mediocre? My point is there are just as many bad business practices on pc compared to consoles. Hell pc games introduced microtransactions... I rest my case

#79 Posted by jsmoke03 (13075 posts) -

it depends how lopsided the sales get and if microsoft will actually start concentrating on their studios. maybe we ca have it like how it was in the ps2 days where all consoles has a stable of exclusives

#80 Edited by Ariabed (1408 posts) -

http://i.minus.com/iboqqHgyy5tOsD.gif

Quite a drastic shift in graphical quality but if the gameplay is still as good as other vids I've seen then I can live with the downgraded graphics.