Call Of Duty= Underrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by williamsvpro (11 posts) -

Ok, so... Personally, I find the entire Call of Duty series to be underrated, and the reason is because

SO many people complain about it on the internet, and whenever a COD- game gets more than 8/10, people start sending comments like: "all cod games suck!!!!" or "all FPS- games sucks," without saying anything about WHY they hate them. Once last year, one of my friends started complaining about Black Ops 2 EVEN BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, and the only reason he gave me was: "It's just gonna be a shity Halo- clone." ?. Feel free to tell me your opinion.

#2 Edited by Lockoss (23 posts) -

I have nothing against the COD license or against the community, it's just I don't like activision. For a while, I don't see any improvement in COD. Sell the same game every year at high prices, I find it shameful and I'm not talking about DLC.

#3 Posted by mjorh (738 posts) -

It's Overrated !

#4 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

I don't consider them as "underrated" because of it's pushy success,a game franchise like this should not be said underrated,but overrated if you know that they're all the same and unimproved in any vital aspects every year,look at the other underrated games,they were the better type of games than just a mere point-and-click FPS,and I also have a strong opposition to something same over and over again.

Why would anyone spend their money for the same game even though it's different in name only? that's because only a fanboy(but I'm not one of them) would definitely buy this without a second thought on the other greater game titles out there.

#5 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71168 posts) -

It's overrated if it's anything. I played COD 4: MW, COD MW 2, and Blops, but i just got tired of the same damn gameplay in Blops that i just quit the whole series. It was just copy paste after Blops. It's the most generic game the last gen and i find it shocking that COD still gets 8's and 9's in reviews. I mean what the hell? Aliens got butchered because it's generic gameplay and COD still gets praised

#6 Edited by marcheegsr (2571 posts) -

It was overrated ever since call of duty 3 came out. To me it feels like the same thing over and over again. I didn't even bother with Ghosts.

#7 Edited by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -
@mjorh said:

It's Overrated !

it's true,no other options were included to define how predictable this game can be

@The_Last_Ride: yeah,just imagine if there will be a new one,would you want to see them fight for Pyongyang? probably not,I also got tired to see that it's all the same on the inside really. My old friend said to me the other day, "Don't judge a game by it's cover,you'll never know what's inside of it,but for the CoD's case,avoid playing it to save your money."

#8 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2884 posts) -

@marcheegsr: CoD: Ghosts would probably be our last CoD to play with,and we should all say how easy to guess this game prepare itself

#9 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

I've loved the CoD series for years, but have to say that I havent enjoyed Black Ops 2 or Ghosts as much as I thought I would. I think I'm at the point now where I've discovered too many other good games and have therefore started to grow out of the series, even though I still enjoy the occasional game online. When I got my Xbox One I thought CoD: Ghosts would be the main game I played, when in fact its the game I've played the least!

#10 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7384 posts) -

Over-rated.

#11 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Underrated? It sells like a billion dollars worth in a month every year and millions of people play it online every day, and it single handedly changed the face of modern shooters and online shooters.

This thread stinks of an OP who purposefully and knowingly said something purely for the sake of getting attention.

#12 Posted by SoNin360 (5433 posts) -

I don't see how it's underrated since it's still the most popular franchise out there to this day. Most people who play it still seem to enjoy it enough to buy the next version of it that comes out. Its slowly losing popularity, but it still easily outsells everything else, maybe except GTAV... forgot about that.

Anyway, I see why people still like it. It's easy to pick up and play. That's about it. Many gamers don't play a lot of games and stick to a few popular games a year, like Call of Duty. Those who go about on Forums and such are more likely to hate on it, but that's a much smaller crowd you're looking at. I really used to have fun with these games. World at War and Modern Warfare 2 remain two of my most played games on consoles, but I, like many others, got tired of the same stuff again and again once it lost its appeal.

#13 Posted by Treflis (11516 posts) -

Yes because a game series that sells millions each time a new one churns out is "underrated"

I'd say it a game that really should just give up it's shallow and ADHD focused singleplayer campaigns and just go full on Multiplayer since that is what most get them for.

#14 Edited by Motokid6 (5416 posts) -

The series is gimping the whole genre. CoD needs to crawl into a hole in die so other games can actually innovate.

#15 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16707 posts) -

I don't hate the franchise but the fact it sells so many goddamn copies each year says a lot about the state of gaming.

#16 Edited by VintAge68 (408 posts) -

I like the CoD series and played also its latest title but have to say that while its graphics is better, story and resulting game structure I liked considerably less. Also, delegated to running behind "my" non-playable brother most of the time I missed almost any autonomy during the missions, except perhaps, those in Space (which wasn't Logan) and during the jungle episode (I really prefer KZ SF's gameplay style in comparison). And besides the Exctinction mode the multiplayer is very similar to what one knows (and appreciates) of CoD from previous releases.

In short I must say I really agree with the 8/10 score in this case--CoD BO II has been better...

#17 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18394 posts) -

The single player is underrated. No other military shooter has ever come close to producing a campaign that polished and entertaining and we all know they've been trying like crazy. Battlefield, Medal of Honor, Homefront, they all have campaigns ranging from mediocre to good, nothing that even comes close to CoD's campaigns in terms of controls, set pieces, soundtrack and even plot. Battlefield 3 in particular had an incredibly boring campaign, completely unmemorable characters and uncreative writing, full of political babble and an unimaginative "where's the bomb" plot, as opposed to MW1,2,3's intrigue and Black Ops's brilliant mindfucks and plot twists.

CoD is quite simply top of the line when it comes to that kind of linear single player military shooter and it has been for 10 years. People don't get it because almost no one plays the campaign anymore.

#18 Posted by Macutchi (4040 posts) -

Ok, so... Personally, I find the entire Call of Duty series to be underrated, and the reason is because

SO many people complain about it on the internet, and whenever a COD- game gets more than 8/10, people start sending comments like: "all cod games suck!!!!" or "all FPS- games sucks," without saying anything about WHY they hate them. Once last year, one of my friends started complaining about Black Ops 2 EVEN BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED, and the only reason he gave me was: "It's just gonna be a shity Halo- clone." ?. Feel free to tell me your opinion.

there have been countless threads discussing just about every aspect of the game over the years. you'd have known that if you'd have been using these boards for longer than 2 minutes

#19 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71168 posts) -

@mjorh said:

It's Overrated !

it's true,no other options were included to define how predictable this game can be

@The_Last_Ride: yeah,just imagine if there will be a new one,would you want to see them fight for Pyongyang? probably not,I also got tired to see that it's all the same on the inside really. My old friend said to me the other day, "Don't judge a game by it's cover,you'll never know what's inside of it,but for the CoD's case,avoid playing it to save your money."

It truly is, it's good at what it does. But it's not innovative nor is it original in any way

#20 Edited by vl4d_l3nin (920 posts) -

for an underrated game, the ratings sure are pretty damn good.

#21 Posted by Jacanuk (4321 posts) -

You must mean highly overrated

Call of Duty is bascially Counterstrike with a bit more depth and revolves around running around shooting and nothing else.

I feel kinda sad that such games have become so big ip´s, i really thought people had more sense than that.

#22 Edited by TF626 (592 posts) -

I like Call of Duty, zombies is my favorite. Funny how everybody says they hate it but it sells millions every year.

#23 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5955 posts) -

@lockoss said:

I have nothing against the COD license or against the community, it's just I don't like activision. For a while, I don'tt see any improvement in COD. Sell the same game every year at high prices, I find it shameful and I'm not talking about DLC.

Yeah same. Activision is the problem for me...

#24 Posted by TheManofTin (333 posts) -

Tens of millions of people go out to buy these games every year. In the cynical day and age we live in, fluttered with bandwagons, words being thrown around like underrated and overrated, it's a GIVEN that Call of Duty is going to generate hate. Once the fad dies down, future generations are going to be left with stacks of "retro" annual iterations of these Call of Duty games that the internet used to fiercely argue about, and as they play through it, all the hate, all the debate, all the controversy, all that will be left completely meaningless.

#25 Edited by SaintJimmmy (2815 posts) -

Not to beat the already dead decomposing horse at this point

but, like everyone else said it's overrated not underrated

Most people don't think the games are all that bad

It's the fact that every year the same game is released year after year with no major changes

and it sells millions of copies from doing that formula

This sends a message from consumers to game companies that yes we will tolerate this bs keep doing things like this.