Buying add-on content is an excuse to not complete games before launch

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lpsquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lpsquall
Member since 2004 • 329 Posts

I cannot believe developers such as EA are charging us real money to purchase a fake car. how does that sound? I mean why can't they include the cars already and give the hardcore gamers a chance to unlock them. This is ridculous and I hope this ends the trend of buying add-on content for games. Especially if I am paying $60 for a game I want a compelete game and not have to invest in it to make it complete. I think this will make the concept of working hard or finding unlockables extinct.

I feel the term "add-on content" is something developers forgot to add during the initial game developing process and decided to add it on later and charge us for it. I understand and encourage the idea of expanding the gaming experience but don't charge us for nonsense. If you wish to charge us for add-on content then sell your games for $30 - $40 and then charge us for the add-ons that should of been there from the beginning to make it a $60 game.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
i agree. i think that downloadable content should only cost money under certain circumstances. like a new outfit or something stupid. but actual stuff that should be in the game really pisses me off. unfortunately, people are buying it so it is never going to stop.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
i agree. i think that downloadable content should only cost money under certain circumstances. like a new outfit or something stupid. but actual stuff that should be in the game really pisses me off. unfortunately, people are buying it so it is never going to stop.OneWingedAngeI
Yeah, I am all for downloadable content if its like a year or whatever later that really adds something to the game. I do not mind paying for that at all. But if its something that should have been in the game, that pisses me off. Or something that comes out like 2 weeks after the game ships is just nuts. And the prices, way out of hand. I actually buy only like 3 DLC things a year at most because of the price, and most things are not even worth it.
erawsd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 erawsd
Member since 2002 • 6930 Posts
I agree its ridiculous. DLC was such an awesome and promising feature when it was first introduced and FREE. Unfortunately, its turned into a way for many publishers to rip off their customers by holding back content and selling bits and pieces later.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
This is one of the main reasons why I hope for an industry schism in the near future that separates the quality developers from the tyrannical ones whose only interest is gouging the gamer until they are broke.
musicXpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 musicXpirate
Member since 2005 • 3040 Posts
Yea, some DLC is cool like maps or track packs or expansions, but some of the stuff is just rediculous. Theres so much stuff on the Marketplace that I would give a dime for, let alone $5. Games are way too different these days...
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

DLC has loads of potential, but it seems to be used as a way to hold back content from the game just to make more money. In the case of NFS Carbon this was blatant, as the cars that they wanted you to pay for, were already on the disc you had bought from the shop.

I also can't understand (again EA NFS series) with Carbon and Prostreet that they charge money to unlock cars that you get just from playing through career mode. Not even doing something special or challenging to unlock them.

Then again if it didn't make money they wouldn't so it, so someone somewhere must be stupid enough to waste money on it.