Borderlands 2 overrated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HipHopBeats (2836 posts) -

I was ready to pick up BL2 GOTY edition after seeing all the positive feedback but decided to check out the regular cut on PS Plus first. Glad I was able to try this out first and save a few bucks.

The controls seem a little too arcadey like with sloppy aim mechanics and a wonky camera. I'm surprised there is no map icon for Claptrap who wanders off while you are searching for loot and never seems to shut up. Enemy AI seems to just charge, shoot and respawn with no variation of tactics.

Character customization could have used a personal touch, letting players to mix and match there own colors instead of just choosing from a pre made color palette. The save system is also a joke. Why not just allow manual saves like almost every other game does? I wasn't expecting this to be a deep rpg / fps, but my early impressions left me a disappointed.

#2 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

Well obviously its overated. RPGs aren't known for their gameplay. Everybody knows that.

#3 Edited by HipHopBeats (2836 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Well obviously its overated. RPGs aren't known for their gameplay. Everybody knows that.

I wouldn't say that. I'm having a blast with Fallout 3 GOTY which is what I ended up going back to after checking out Borderlands 2. Dragon's Dogma has great gameplay but a shitty story.

#4 Edited by marcheegsr (2427 posts) -

I wouldn't say overrated... better than the first one imo.

Its actually quite addicting once you progress further and further. Though all the weapons and looting can get overwhelming.

#5 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6001 posts) -

strange thing about Borderlands 2- it was better than the first(which I was hooked on for months) in every way, but there just wasn't that same magic. It just wasn't amazing anymore. I played it for a few weeks and then nothing. Sold it last week.

#6 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6131 posts) -

Problem is the repetition.

#7 Posted by HipHopBeats (2836 posts) -

@marcheegsr: Really? I kept finding the same loot over and over but I suppose that's because I barely scratched the surface.

#8 Posted by SoNin360 (5196 posts) -

If you aren't liking the first game, then yeah, don't bother with the second. I actually enjoyed the first game more than the second, I'm not sure if I'm in the minority there. But anyway, the first Borderlands did get a bit repetitive towards the end. Borderlands 2 would seem like the overall better game what with more weapons and everything else, but I just didn't enjoy it as much the second time around and it got repetitive and annoying much quicker. So as much as I don't like calling games "overrated", I might have to somewhat agree with the case of Borderlands 2. I enjoyed it, sure, but I don't think it deserved higher scores than the first game.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ HipHopBeats

Fallout 3 definately has bad gameplay.

As for Dragons Dogma, well its got good gameplay but counterintuitive design. They shouldve dropped the RPG Elements.

#10 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ El_Zo1212o

@ marcheegsr

Gentlemen, thats called the "Skinner Box Effect".

Some people are immune to it, sasly, you're not one of those people.

#11 Posted by bowchicka07 (1069 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is not overrated at all. Lots of content and character customization to cater to different play-styles.Decent plot and some funny characters as well IMO. I was hooked on it for like 4 months but after that not so much. It's replay value is too repetitive without friends or competent non-loot whoring player to team up with. Lots of gunzerkers out there it seems. I preferred the siren and the assassin myself.

#12 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

i thought this game was over rated, but its still better then most fps games... but thats not saying a lot either since they are so bad. i didn't like all the traveling around for quests in this game and also hated the vehicles, they were stiff compared to games like Halo where some of their vehicles were fast and controlled well. actually im not sure why they were so lazy with the vehicles, they could have been much better.

pretty much i'm done with any future borderlands game, but thats also for most fps games. these things are pointless crap

#13 Posted by drekula2 (1880 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is one of the few acclaimed shooters that I don't think is overrated. Most shooters are just pretentious story games unaware that they're diluting the story with a dozen hours of random shootouts. BL2 is aware that it's a shooter (and nothing grander than that), so it tailored it's mechanics to make the shooting most rewarding.

#14 Posted by HipHopBeats (2836 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Granted Fallout 3's gameplay is not the best, but it's definitely easier to get into than Mass Effect 1 which had a great story but horrible gameplay.

#15 Posted by sukraj (21585 posts) -

I haven't played any of these games so I can't comment on them.

#16 Posted by Zijuun (93 posts) -

Yes, I can't bare the "unique"/**** animation. And there's a reason it's free on PS +.

#17 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

i never played the first one but i am enjoying the second one. i bought it in august but due to my school i have only been able to play for half hour intervals. i hope steam puts the dlc on sale during the holiday sale

#18 Edited by theothernormal (70 posts) -

COD = Overrated

Borderlands 2 doesn't fall into that category for me

#19 Edited by abdollahk (2 posts) -

I downlouded the TK baha DLC and the head hunter 2 DLC its not working on my borderlands2 game of the year edition that i got from amazon.com can soome one help me and tell me why is that.

#20 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2108 posts) -
#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: The Problem with Mass Effect 1's game play is you could by pass most of entirely by brute force.

In other words you could level up so high that you no longer need to talk cover to recharge your shield or cool down your weapons.

#22 Edited by HipHopBeats (2836 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Early levels were difficult trying to get used to the crappy combat. Once I started focusing on side quests, by the time I got Master Immunity and took the Commando perk, I was a walking tank. I'm glad they scrapped the Mako runs for Mass Effect 2. Beyond boring having to drive over mountainous terrain to reach every quest objective.

#23 Posted by girlshavefuntoo (114 posts) -

I think Borderlands is great, but you're entitled to your opinion.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ HipHopBeats

They're learning, they'l get it right eventually. :)

#25 Posted by MassiveKaos (3875 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Since wasting time behind thy game in cover was anymore fun...

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5450 posts) -

Problem is the repetition.

Yeah, that's what I didn't like about it... Got boring pretty fast for me.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

@ MassiveKaos

It was in Mass Effect 2 and 3. Not that you would know, you think not getting shot is a waste of time.

#28 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (8514 posts) -

Final Fantasy had the same problem, your best defense was leveling up. Because you have no control over your characters movements.

#29 Posted by Diablo-B (4019 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is gun p0rn. If you like looting you will love Borderlands 2. One of my fav FPS games