Bioshock Infinite ending to be another Mass Effect 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HipHopBeats (2793 posts) -

Currently catching up on the Bioshock trilogy and came across this article warning players of a potentially crappy ending.

I'm still looking forward to playing it regardless but this may be one of those games where the real payoff is in the journey rather than the destination.

#2 Posted by DoomZaW (6473 posts) -

You can't really compare the two. Mass Effect was a continuous franchise, with the same characters and same setting everytime. Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't per say horribly bad on it's own, but it feel short of expectations because the last two games and the developers had been drumming it up to beyond belief.

#3 Posted by Vaasman (11869 posts) -

The video doesn't say once that the ending will be crappy or ME3-esque so if there is any implication that the ending will be crappy, you made it.

#4 Posted by Minishdriveby (10520 posts) -

I don't think I'll expect too much from the BioShock ending. The original had a fairly bad ending after the major twist.

#5 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

I wish gamers would stop being so whiny...

#6 Posted by HipHopBeats (2793 posts) -

You can't really compare the two. Mass Effect was a continuous franchise, with the same characters and same setting everytime. Mass Effect 3's ending wasn't per say horribly bad on it's own, but it feel short of expectations because the last two games and the developers had been drumming it up to beyond belief.

DoomZaW

Good point. I know this is a new story departing from Rapture but when the main dev warns of a potentially disappointing ending, I can't help to wonder why release an ending you are not sure people will even understand. Especially when this game has been so long in development.

Still, any story that gets you attached or to care about the characters and fails to convey any closure or proper departure sucks.Even cliffhangers can be done in a proper way where the audience is left wanting more instead of a 'wtf just happened' reaction.

Ricardomz

I wish gamers would read before making pointless replies.

#7 Posted by SoNin360 (5757 posts) -
Hmm. I'm not worried. There are more important things to think about than the ending.
#8 Posted by Treflis (11926 posts) -
There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.
#9 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.Treflis

Exactly, this.

#10 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

[QUOTE="Treflis"]There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.Goyoshi12

Exactly, this.

If people just would finally understand this point.

We didn't hate the ME3 ending because it was just "bad2 we hated it with a passion because in the END of an so far epic told Story / Trilogy, where we had made TONS of important choices throughout ALL 3 GAMES and in the endings of 1 and 2 it ALWAYS HAD a big impact on the ending, the final of the Trilogy crapped us over with the SAME ending for EVERYONE, no matter who you killed, who you let live, who you lost, who you rescued, who you helped, who you denied, no matter if you were a paragon or a renegade, the ending, that we hoped would be an epic closure to EACH PERSONAL story and decisions we made and it would be at least a BIT unique for everyone, in the end it was ALL THE SAME FOR EVERYBODY JUST WITH THREE DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

THAT's what everyone (at least everyone with a brain and with passion for the Trilogy) was upset about, NOT that it was "just a bad ending"

#11 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

The ending to the first game wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

#12 Posted by punkpunker (3358 posts) -

There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.Treflis

i wish people feel when they followed the game for years of the original premise then showed crappy endings to conclude a trilogy that contradicts every premise before.

#13 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.Justforvisit

Exactly, this.

We didn't hate the ME3 ending because it was just "bad2 we hated it with a passion because in the END of an so far epic told Story / Trilogy, where we had made TONS of important choices throughout ALL 3 GAMES and in the endings of 1 and 2 it ALWAYS HAD a big impact on the ending, the final of the Trilogy crapped us over with the SAME ending for EVERYONE, no matter who you killed, who you let live, who you lost, who you rescued, who you helped, who you denied, no matter if you were a paragon or a renegade, the ending, that we hoped would be an epic closure to EACH PERSONAL story and decisions we made and it would be at least a BIT unique for everyone, in the end it was ALL THE SAME FOR EVERYBODY JUST WITH THREE DIFFERENT COLORS!!!

THAT's what everyone (at least everyone with a brain and with passion for the Trilogy) was upset about, NOT that it was "just a bad ending"

In some ways (most, in fact) I'm glad I never played Mass Effect 2 or 3... it sounds like they fvcked it up so badly. On the other hand, I kind of want to, just to see the trainwreck for the same morbid reasons people slow down at bad crashes.

#14 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

The ending to the first game wasn't exactly Shakespeare.

Shame-usBlackley
It had a complete garbage ending honestly, didn't really destroy the awesome 15 hour experience that came before it. Well not for me anyhow.
#15 Posted by wiouds (5622 posts) -

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]There is a difference between a standalone game ending poorly and a the final game of a directly linked trilogy.Justforvisit

Exactly, this.

Since Mass Effect 1, I told everyone one that the moral and dialog picks would have little to no affects on the story. So I did not get upset about the same ending but for the colors. To tell the truth I was already piss off by the time I had to make the pick. Mass Effect 3's ending is one of the worse end that any story heavy game has.

This Bioshock shock game have always been more about setting and political ideals.

#16 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Exactly, this.

Shame-usBlackley

In some ways (most, in fact) I'm glad I never played Mass Effect 2 or 3... it sounds like they fvcked it up so badly. On the other hand, I kind of want to, just to see the trainwreck for the same morbid reasons people slow down at bad crashes.

The games themselves are perfectly fine and until the end everyting at least seems to make sense and you feel the weight of decisions IN the game, just the ending conclusion of the Trilogy outright sucked in it's original state. With the EE it's a bit better, but still now what one would hope for after 100 of hours of gameplay and an until then at least good and entertaining told story.

#17 Posted by Justforvisit (2660 posts) -

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Goyoshi12"]

Exactly, this.

wiouds

Since Mass Effect 1, I told everyone one that the moral and dialog picks would have little to no affects on the story. So I did not get upset about the same ending but for the colors. To tell the truth I was already piss off by the time I had to make the pick. Mass Effect 3's ending is one of the worse end that any story heavy game has.

This Bioshock shock fame have always been more about setting and polical ideals.

Watch out for the Fortune Teller ^^

#18 Posted by wiouds (5622 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Justforvisit

This Bioshock shock fame have always been more about setting and polical ideals.

Watch out for the Fortune Teller ^^

You can look up some old posting of mine.

#19 Posted by Archangel3371 (16687 posts) -
Well I'll wait and see what it's ending will be like before I judge. Personally I thought the ending to Mass Effect 3 wasn't nearly as bad as some others believed and there were some aspects about it that were pretty cool. While it may not have been exactly the ending that I was hoping for it was a mostly satisfactory way to end a phemonal trilogy.
#20 Posted by Blueresident87 (5384 posts) -

Ricardomz

I have to agree.

What's the point? The game isn't even out yet...

#21 Posted by scouttrooperbob (2439 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ricardomz"]

Blueresident87

I have to agree.

What's the point? The game isn't even out yet...

Possible ME spoiler.

Im usually the one whining, but I couldnt agree more.

I enjoyed ME3 ending btw. As a huge Si-fy geek I like the ending. In the end your choices didnt mean much. you die with a certain intention in mind and it does slightly alter the future of the entire universe.