Biggest open worlds from this gen?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zombehhhhh (452 posts) -

Recently I played through Far Cry 3 and I was very impressed by it. The open world was pretty large. I'm very excited for Grand Theft Auto V, especially after reading how large that world will be. What other games come to mind when you think of large open worlds? Limit it to this generation.

#2 Posted by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

Just finished Sleeping Dogs. The world map is pretty big. Great game, great main character.

Darksiders 2 has a Zelda type open world(s) that is pretty big.

Far Cry 3 has a big map. (about to finish this game too)

Skyrim & Oblivion of course.

Just Cause 2 has a huge open world, maybe the biggest.

Mercanaries 2.

RAGE has a open world, but it kind of barren.

#3 Posted by Yagr_Zero (27843 posts) -
Don't forget Red Dead Redemption and GTA 4.
#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18508 posts) -
Just Cause 2 has the biggest open world. 660 sqkm
#5 Posted by BranKetra (48742 posts) -
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and V: Skyrim, and the Assassin's Creed franchise.
#6 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -
Just Cause 2 has the biggest open world. 660 sqkmBlack_Knight_00
Suddenly, 'Far Cry 2' is no longer so appealing.
#7 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18508 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Just Cause 2 has the biggest open world. 660 sqkmKevlar101

Size is not everything. FarCry 2's Africa is 100 times more detailed and believable.
#8 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Just Cause 2 has the biggest open world. 660 sqkmBlack_Knight_00

Size is not everything. FarCry 2's Africa is 100 times more detailed and believable.

and I agree on the "size is not everything", but I am like a total sucker for huge open worlds. Give me a big world, and im hooked. I just read some reviews for Just Cause 2 and im gonna go with FC2 :P
#9 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18508 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"] Suddenly, 'Far Cry 2' is no longer so appealing.Kevlar101

and I agree on the "size is not everything", but I am like a total sucker for huge open worlds. Give me a big world, and im hooked. I just read some reviews for Just Cause 2 and im gonna go with FC2 :P

Pick them both up. FC2 is 5 bucks and JC2 is like 7
#10 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Size is not everything. FarCry 2's Africa is 100 times more detailed and believable.

I would do that, but I prefer to order off of Amazon :/ it saves time...... but FC2 is $20 off of Amazon
#11 Posted by ristactionjakso (5730 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Size is not everything. FarCry 2's Africa is 100 times more detailed and believable.Black_Knight_00

I would like to add Just Cause 2 has better gameplay.

#12 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18508 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"] and I agree on the "size is not everything", but I am like a total sucker for huge open worlds. Give me a big world, and im hooked. I just read some reviews for Just Cause 2 and im gonna go with FC2 :P

I would do that, but I prefer to order off of Amazon :/ it saves time...... but FC2 is $20 off of Amazon

If you don't trust ebay, it's 10 bucks on gamestop.com
#13 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Pick them both up. FC2 is 5 bucks and JC2 is like 7

If you don't trust ebay, it's 10 bucks on gamestop.com

Since when does Gamespot sell games....... im such a noob :P
#14 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

In order of size:

1. Just Cause 2
  2. Red Dead Redemption
  3. Far Cry 2
  4. Saints Row 2
  5. Grand Theft Auto IV
  6. Saints Row The Third
  7. Sleeping Dogs
#15 Posted by Ray1234567891 (14 posts) -
Fallout 2 - it is the best game with open world. Still.
#16 Posted by Dexter-010 (533 posts) -
FUEL. It's even in the World Guiness Book of Records for biggest map in a game.
#17 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has the largest open world I've ever seen. Traversing from one side to another in a plane can take a while.

Other big open world games:

• Far Cry 2
  • Far Cry 3
  • Fallout 3
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Assassin's Creed 2
#18 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1596 posts) -

Just Cause 2 was just huge, probably the biggest I've ever seen. It means something when your traveling in a car and you get depressed when you see there are still 6km to go (which takes roughly a lifetime to travel in a car).

#19 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

Just Cause 2 has the biggest open world. 660 sqkmBlack_Knight_00

Yup, was about going to say that as well. Just Cause 2 certainly takes the winner spot.

#20 Posted by Darkeroid2212 (268 posts) -

JC2 is the biggest, but Skyrim kinda feels like the biggest because of the lack of modern vehicles,and I don't like horses.I wish JC2 had some cheats to spawn vehicles, because money is scarce at the start but it is still a big world.Anyway:-

1.Skyrim

2.Just Cause 2

3.Grand Theft Auto 4

I have explored less than an inch of FC3's world, so I don't have any opinions on it yet.I have not yet played RDR but I plan on getting it as soon as my PS3 is fixed.I got the YLOD.

#21 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25759 posts) -

large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

2ce84e_2735143.jpgGTA III seemed impressively huge just 11 years ago. Now it's literally reduced to a speck.

#22 Posted by LJChronx (949 posts) -

Yeah I remember seeing that a while back. Looks like Daggerfall takes the prize. Amazing it was released 16 years ago!

#23 Posted by wis3boi (31462 posts) -

Yeah I remember seeing that a while back. Looks like Daggerfall takes the prize. Amazing it was released 16 years ago!

LJChronx

problem with that one is it is just randomly generated crap and wastelands for most of it.

Looks like LotrO takes the cake at 30,000 square miles

#24 Posted by Skinon (86 posts) -
What about fallout 3 and New Vegas? Not even on the list?
#25 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

large-video-game-worlds2.jpg

2ce84e_2735143.jpgGTA III seemed impressively huge just 11 years ago. Now it's literally reduced to a speck.

Floppy_Jim
I find it hard to believe that Burnout Paradise has a large map than San Andreas.
#26 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Xenoblade Chronicles

#27 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
planetside 2
#28 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2617 posts) -

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Kevlar101"] and I agree on the "size is not everything", but I am like a total sucker for huge open worlds. Give me a big world, and im hooked. I just read some reviews for Just Cause 2 and im gonna go with FC2 :PKevlar101

FC2 is so much worse than FC3, not worth the $20 imo. You'll be dissapointed.

#29 Posted by -Unreal- (24544 posts) -

That map is laughably inaccurate. It's funny when I think of how many times I've come accross the topic of large-scale gaming worlds and that map being posted.

#30 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Skyrim and Just Cause 2 are huge.

#31 Posted by Kevlar101 (6204 posts) -

Skyrim and Just Cause 2 are huge.

Ricardomz
Bad comparison. Skyrim is 14 square miles. Just Cause 2 is 440 square miles.
#32 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

Skyrim

RDR

Just Cause 2

Far Cry 3

#33 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

Does Warband or the X series count as open world games? lol

If not, Planetside 2

#34 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Xenoblade Chronicles

WreckEm711

i still need to play just cause 2.