BF4 Review Thread - Gamespot's scoring rules dont apply here

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Gamespot gives it a 8.0. For all five versions. Even the current gen versions which feature only 24 player multiplayer.

Eurogamer gives it an 8.0 as well.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/battlefield-4

I will be creating a BF PS4 vs Xbox One Graphics comparison thread so let's keep all that talk out of this thread and keep it focused on the game itself. (Or Gamespot's ridiculously inconsistent scoring policy.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

So 64 player mp= 24 player mp LoL

I'm surprised they have review copies of the X1 and PS4.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@D3s7rUc71oN said:

They dont have review copies. I believe EA held a review event.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#4 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Gamespot gives it a 8.0. For all five versions. Even the current gen versions which feature only 24 player multiplayer.

Eurogamer gives it an 8.0 as well.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/battlefield-4

I will be creating a BF PS4 vs Xbox One Graphics comparison thread so let's keep all that talk out of this thread and keep it focused on the game itself. (Or Gamespot's ridiculously inconsistent scoring policy.

The GameSpot review does not include all of the Xbox One version because of the embargo that is ongoing for it which lasts two more weeks.

--

Of this series, I have only played Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 3. I enjoyed both and this looks like an improvement from three. I watched the GameSpot review. The single player experience apparently is not as good as the multiplayer and is actually bolstered by it in some ways. I might acquire it for the PS4 when released.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#5  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@S0lidSnake said:
@D3s7rUc71oN said:

They dont have review copies. I believe EA held a review event.

Yep. It's even mentioned at the end of the review.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I think I remember a time when GS pretty specifically did not use review events as the basis for a review.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By branketra

I would also like to mention that the changes that can affect the maps in small and big ways really is a cool idea.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Randolph said:

I think I remember a time when GS pretty specifically did not use review events as the basis for a review.

They still avoid them, as I understand it. Probably only made an exception because console launches are always weird and require they do whatever necessary to obtain coverage.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts
@BranKetra said:

I would also like to mention that the changes that can affect the maps in small and big ways really is a cool idea.

It is a cool idea, it was also a cool idea when all the other games that implemented it tried it over the years. The problem is it's only really cool once, the terrain deformation is the same every time so it never really works for MP

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@barrybarryk said:
@BranKetra said:

It is a cool idea, it was also a cool idea when all the other games that implemented it tried it over the years. The problem is it's only really cool once, the terrain deformation is the same every time so it never really works for MP

Besides it being the same every time, what ended up happening in BF3 was 30 seconds into the map players would destroy most of the tactical places on the map so you would be playing with destroyed buildings for 95% of the game.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 branketra

@barrybarryk said:
@BranKetra said:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, though flooding a map is not terrain deformation. If map alteration which is what I was talking about were as you say, it would not be used anymore. The design of Battlefield 4 is supposed to be an improvement from past games, so even with the same map changes, it should be engaging at least for a while.

barrybarryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 barrybarryk
Member since 2012 • 488 Posts
@BranKetra said:

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, though flooding a map is not terrain deformation. If map alteration which is what I was talking about were as you say, it would not be used anymore. The design of Battlefield 4 is supposed to be an improvement from past games, so even with the same map changes, it should be engaging at least for a while.

Are you kidding? Games are far more about what looks cool once or twice now than they ever have been. Why do you think they're full of set pieces, cutscenes and QTEs? They look awesome the first time you see them, but they very quickly get old. It's the exact same with Battlefield 4's destruction set pieces. The first few times you see them they'll look great (and of course in the ads) then after you learn the map you'll just learn where to avoid and when.

That's not to say it's a rubbish game because of it or it even detracts from the game in the slightest, just adding set pieces to MP won't really change MP at all. It just looks pretty for the ads and media coverage the game is getting.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

No surprise that the SP is worse than the MP.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

So the campaign still sucks?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

CVG review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVz-i_74fw

Rev3Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_02nfldGoA

IGN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUs7qUzP4GU

Machinima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-F80kLX5o

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Rev3Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lNREhvoz-w

Machinima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrozYqHrRS4

IGN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nASpvb96iM

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By branketra

@barrybarryk said:
@BranKetra said:

Are you kidding? Games are far more about what looks cool once or twice now than they ever have been. Why do you think they're full of set pieces, cutscenes and QTEs? They look awesome the first time you see them, but they very quickly get old. It's the exact same with Battlefield 4's destruction set pieces. The first few times you see them they'll look great (and of course in the ads) then after you learn the map you'll just learn where to avoid and when.

That's not to say it's a rubbish game because of it or it even detracts from the game in the slightest, just adding set pieces to MP won't really change MP at all. It just looks pretty for the ads and media coverage the game is getting.

Saying that is easy when you have not played it yet.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

How can anyone accept to play a Battlefield game with a 24 players limit, and how can a "professional reviewer" just glance over that fact like it's not big deal? Is this 1998?

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

complain complain complain

it's the PS3 version. PS4 version will have more players. who cares what the review states, when these obvious facts are known to all.