Bethesta talks smack about JRPGs

• 127 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
The following add has appeared on different Japanese publications as part of an advertisement for FallOut: New Vegas, the signs point out to many of the cliches that rid many JRPGs The translations are as follows: "I think it would be good if the hero had missions that weren't only about destroying evil." "The player is weak, the enemy is weak. That's way too convenient." "When did games become something you watch?" "Because the story doesn't change, what's the point of playing it again?" "Games nowadays are focusing way too much on photorealism." "What's a game that's moving in accordance to the scenario? It's the same as living on rails." "Levelling up is time for motivation down!" "The stage has been set. After that, you're free to do whatever!" This mirrors many declarations made by Todd Howard, lead of Bethesta Softworks in the past calling the JRPGs, among other things "unrealistic" (whatever that means) plus BioWare own co-founder Greg Zeschuk criticized JRPGs for a lack of innovation: "The fall of the JRPG in large part is due to a lack of evolution, a lack of progression. They kept delivering the same thing over and over. They make the dressing better, they look prettier, but it's still the same experience. My favorite thing, it's funny when you still see it, but the joke of some of the dialogue systems where it asks, 'do you wanna do this or this,' and you say no. 'Do you wanna do this or this?' No. 'Do you wanna do this or this?' No. Lemme think - you want me to say 'yes.' And that, unfortunately, really characterized the JRPG." Cheap controversy to stir exposure of the WRPGs games on the east or valid criticism?
reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 reason58
Member since 2003 • 355 Posts

"The fall of the JRPG in large part is due to a lack of evolution, a lack of progression."

That sums it up. The US invented this game type with D&D, but the US has evolved beyond it. Japan is stuck with the same game as Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Quest 1.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Don't forget grinding.

Some people actually enjoy that though...

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Kaim91
Member since 2010 • 967 Posts

Well, Square Enix recently tried to change the JRPG formula a bit with FF XIII and what happens? JRPG fans all over the world bash it for being different. Maybe they just stick with the original formula because that's what the fans want? As long as the game is good, I don't mind.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
*Shakes head* Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles say hi. Bethesda should focus less on smack talking and more on making competent games. I've played the Elder Scrolls series since its inception was hugely impressed by Oblivion (which while lacking in scope, was the most complete game Bethesda has ever shipped) but after Oblivion's much deserved success, Bethesda has backslid quite a bit, going back to their old model of throwing a bunch of stuff in until the ship date, then letting consumers find bugs and whatnot the hard way and then killing some of the bugs with post-release patches.
reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 reason58

Well, Square Enix recently tried to change the JRPG formula a bit with FF XIII and what happens? JRPG fans all over the world bash it for being different. Maybe they just stick with the original formula because that's what the fans want? As long as the game is good, I don't mind.

Kaim91
They didn't bash it for being different, they bashed it for being linear to the extreme. JRPGs have always been on rails, but FF 13 took it to a whole new level. With the exception of one outdoor area each zone was just a hallway. Likewise, the skill "tree" had no decisions to make. Just put points in the next skill.
seanehawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 seanehawk
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

Thanks Bethesda, Now there's one less $60 game I'll be buying. I thought ads were supposed to make you want to buy the game, not vice versa, but oh well. I'll just keep on playing my JRPG's.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

The Final Fantasy games are full of innovation in fact that is one of the biggest tradition.

Then again you can mock WRPG too

· There is no main character just a machine phone system "if you want to be evil press one, now. If you want to be nice press two, now."

· Most of the times their chooses does not make that much different

· You stop evil to keep the world the same

· Bethesta has some of the most unrealistic look characters out there.

· WRPG enemies are no where as rich as any from JRPG. Normally they are just biff enemies from earlier in the game.

· Also their combat is dumb down.

· Most have boring story due to the open world. The story is little more that a group of fetch quests

· Most games have little innovation.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Well I'm a fan of all RPG's

And Btw, Dragon Quest IX is a perfect blend of JRPG art and Story, with WRPG Choice, Customization, and Extra Content.

So, looks like Squeenix is working With the good from both RPG types.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

*Shakes head* Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles say hi. Bethesda should focus less on smack talking and more on making competent games.CarnageHeart

Games like these are still in the minority. Games like Final Fantasy sadly, are still the flagship JRPG titles and are made by people more resistant to change than ever. With the emergence of Atlus over the past several years the trend is changing, but JRPGs are decidedly bogged down by a lack of imagination for the most part. As long as the money keeps pouring in, this isn't going to change much.

As far as the ad, I think it's both very bold and clever.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

i dont get why companys should smack talk it doesnt make you look better

all it shows is how rude and ignorant they are

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
all it shows is how rude and ignorant they areredskins26rocs
Even when they point out valid criticisms?
Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kaim91

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]all it shows is how rude and ignorant they aremuthsera666

Their ciriticisms are valid for sure, but I don't see how putting out an ad like this would serve any purpose.You'd expect such a good developer not to do things like this.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 reason58

Their ciriticisms are valid for sure, but I don't see how putting out an ad like this would serve any purpose.You'd expect such a good developer not to do things like this.

Kaim91

Mac vs PC. Coke vs Pepsi. 5-Hour Energy vs energy drinks. Etc etc. This is how advertising works.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wiouds

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]all it shows is how rude and ignorant they aremuthsera666

Square Enix does not do that to WRPG even though there are many valid criticisms about WRPG.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#16 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

you can make arbitrary conclusions about any genre that way. Different people, different tastes.
Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kaim91

[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

reason58

Mac vs PC. Coke vs Pepsi. 5-Hour Energy vs energy drinks. Etc etc. This is how advertising works.

I don't approve of any advertising that talks crap about their rivals, be it Apple or Coke. Advertisements should focus on spreading the word about the good sides of their product, not the flaws of their rivals.

12qazx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 12qazx
Member since 2005 • 1435 Posts

You know there was a thread about this in system wars. It had over 350 post.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Meh. This ad doesn't bother me at all and JRPGs are my favorite genre of games. I'll still buy New Vegas, so whatever.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]*Shakes head* Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles say hi. Bethesda should focus less on smack talking and more on making competent games.QuistisTrepe_

Games like these are still in the minority. Games like Final Fantasy sadly, are still the flagship JRPG titles and are made by people more resistant to change than ever. With the emergence of Atlus over the past several years the trend is changing, but JRPGs are decidedly bogged down by a lack of imagination for the most part. As long as the money keeps pouring in, this isn't going to change much.

As far as the ad, I think it's both very bold and clever.

There genre in which the majority of games are innovative doesn't exist. Squenix has always been very willing to mess around with the FF formula (in modern times, no two games have played alike). FF12 in particular made radical changes to the series (it was extremely non-linear, did away with random encounters and offered tunable AI) and infamously, FF11 was an online game. Bethesda ought to have used the money they spent on the ad to hire a team of QA testers.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#21 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Maybe Square could hit back with an ad with 4 cool looking people holding signs saying "imagination", "Vision", "Inspiration" and "Soul" -- That could teach Bethesda a thing or two of what they themselves lack. Still, you could do much worse than a mute character uniting a faction war with elves, some beast race, people who live in the snow to defeat a hellish ancient evil .or battle some strange God with a chippy, emotional hero that has been abandoned, orphaned and suffering from severe amnesia But yeah the slugging is quite unnecessary especially with the developer of Fallout New Vegas (Obsidian) being in the middle of all of it; as they are working with square for Dungeon Siege 3.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
[QUOTE="reason58"][QUOTE="Kaim91"]Their ciriticisms are valid for sure, but I don't see how putting out an ad like this would serve any purpose.You'd expect such a good developer not to do things like this.Kaim91

I don't approve of any advertising that talks crap about their rivals, be it Apple or Coke. Advertisements should focus on spreading the word about the good sides of their product, not the flaws of their rivals.

Actually, it's doing both. It's pointing out reasons why the JRPG genre is somewhat stagnant, which leads to the conclusion that their game is not doing those things. So, it's kind of like a detergent company doing a commercial saying "tired of all your clothes coming out of the wash with the colors fading? Try our brand!" The conclusion would be that their brand is improved in that selected capacity.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Cheap controversy to stir exposure of the WRPGs games on the east or valid criticism?SciFiCat

Both. Controversy is always a sound way to attract attention and even Japanese RPG fans can't say that the ad is way off or anything.

Anyway, I'm sure that a market for non-linear, non-anime, realistic games exists in Japan as evidenced by respectable Grand Theft Auto sales (I also believe Oblivion did alright there, 200,000 copies or something like that).

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 UpInFlames

Maybe Square could hit back with an ad with 4 cool looking people holding signs saying "imagination", "Vision", "Inspiration" and "Soul" -- That could teach Bethesda a thing or two of what they themselves lack.illmatic87

If by "imagination" you mean androgynous, anime(ish), blue-haired, infantile teen characters with annoyingly high-pitched voices fighting against smiling drops of water - please keep that imagination the hell away from me or I'll sic Dogmeat on it for a healthy dose of highly unimaginative post-nuclear pain.

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#25 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
*Shakes head* Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles say hi. Bethesda should focus less on smack talking and more on making competent games. I've played the Elder Scrolls series since its inception was hugely impressed by Oblivion (which while lacking in scope, was the most complete game Bethesda has ever shipped) but after Oblivion's much deserved success, Bethesda has backslid quite a bit, going back to their old model of throwing a bunch of stuff in until the ship date, then letting consumers find bugs and whatnot the hard way and then killing some of the bugs with post-release patches.CarnageHeart
I think when ANY game developer has created a world as large as Oblivion, Capital Wasteland, Liberty City or The West in RDR, without bugs then this complaint would be valid but as it stands there are only about 6 games I can name off the top of my head that have attempted the feat this generation and all have had bugs...These are large open environments with tons of characters, quests, ai routines, physics, etc running around at once. Not even linear, confined games like Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Gears of War2, COD MW2 are bug free. There are going to be mistakes made when you're one of 4 companies pushing technology and programming ahead. I EXPECT these games to have bugs because outside of Bethesda and Rockstar Nobody does it better.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#26 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="wiouds"]

· There is no main character just a machine phone system "if you want to be evil press one, now. If you want to be nice press two, now."

· Most of the times their chooses does not make that much different

· You stop evil to keep the world the same

· Bethesta has some of the most unrealistic look characters out there.

· WRPG enemies are no where as rich as any from JRPG. Normally they are just biff enemies from earlier in the game.

· Also their combat is dumb down.

· Most have boring story due to the open world. The story is little more that a group of fetch quests

· Most games have little innovation.

1. You're given a blank slate to create any character you want. if your character is 2d it is because you made them that way. Even in Fable 2 my fat, drunk, evil wife sacrificing terrible murderous landlord has more personality than any reluctant hero found in persona 3, FFVII, Odin Sphere... 2. depends on the game. 3. don't understand this statement. 4. realism in a videogame is a silly statement. 5. oh you mean like how Dragon Quest has 34 different slimes throughout the game or Persona games color swap creatures and so do FF games? Once again it depends on the game you're playing. 6. meh 7. most have decent stories or hundreds of other side stories to flesh out a world.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wiouds

I have never need to start over in a game because of am error in a JRPG but I did in Bethesda's fallout 3. At one point I could not go to a story important area without the game freezing.

There ar emany thing that are bad about Bethesda's games.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UpInFlames

I have never need to start over in a game because of am error in a JRPG but I did in Bethesda's fallout 3. At one point I could not go to a story important area without the game freezing.wiouds

Read this again:

I think when ANY game developer has created a world as large as Oblivion, Capital Wasteland, Liberty City or The West in RDR, without bugs then this complaint would be valid but as it stands there are only about 6 games I can name off the top of my head that have attempted the feat this generation and all have had bugs...These are large open environments with tons of characters, quests, ai routines, physics, etc running around at once. Not even linear, confined games like Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Gears of War2, COD MW2 are bug free. There are going to be mistakes made when you're one of 4 companies pushing technology and programming ahead. I EXPECT these games to have bugs because outside of Bethesda and Rockstar Nobody does it better.smerlus

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Oblivion was a load consolized crap. I am sorry that they had to put level scaling in there but that was exactly was oblivion did. But thats ok, They can act high and mighty. I don't care for WRPG tabla Rasa style is boring and I can't get into the character or story at all. So to each there own, its a dumb move the Bethesda part, a company need to get attention off of its own merit and not a silly ad like this.

Vault_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Vault_Monkey
Member since 2010 • 209 Posts

[QUOTE="Kaim91"]

reason58

They didn't bash it for being different, they bashed it for being linear to the extreme. JRPGs have always been on rails, but FF 13 took it to a whole new level. With the exception of one outdoor area each zone was just a hallway. Likewise, the skill "tree" had no decisions to make. Just put points in the next skill.

Agreed, I find some JRPG's lack some great role playing elements, the linear enviornments tend to ruin them for me.:(

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds

Agreed, I find some JRPG's lack some great role playing elements, the linear enviornments tend to ruin them for me.:(

Vault_Monkey

I find too much open enviornment hurt the game for me. Too much extra to do that has nothing to do with the main story.

warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts

"The fall of the JRPG in large part is due to a lack of evolution, a lack of progression."

That sums it up. The US invented this game type with D&D, but the US has evolved beyond it. Japan is stuck with the same game as Final Fantasy 1, Dragon Quest 1.

reason58

apparently youve never played FF1 or DQ1 before.

reason58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 reason58

[QUOTE="reason58"]

warmaster670

apparently youve never played FF1 or DQ1 before.

hah A challenge to my pride. Very good.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

reason58

Demon's Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ALL WRPGs

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]*Shakes head* Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles say hi. Bethesda should focus less on smack talking and more on making competent games. I've played the Elder Scrolls series since its inception was hugely impressed by Oblivion (which while lacking in scope, was the most complete game Bethesda has ever shipped) but after Oblivion's much deserved success, Bethesda has backslid quite a bit, going back to their old model of throwing a bunch of stuff in until the ship date, then letting consumers find bugs and whatnot the hard way and then killing some of the bugs with post-release patches.smerlus
I think when ANY game developer has created a world as large as Oblivion, Capital Wasteland, Liberty City or The West in RDR, without bugs then this complaint would be valid but as it stands there are only about 6 games I can name off the top of my head that have attempted the feat this generation and all have had bugs...These are large open environments with tons of characters, quests, ai routines, physics, etc running around at once. Not even linear, confined games like Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, Gears of War2, COD MW2 are bug free. There are going to be mistakes made when you're one of 4 companies pushing technology and programming ahead. I EXPECT these games to have bugs because outside of Bethesda and Rockstar Nobody does it better.

I allow for more bugs in open world games than in more enclosed games, but sadly, both Red Dead and Fallout had ridiculous numbers of bugs (moreso than in their same gen predecessors, Oblivion and GTA4).

I really loved Red Dead and wanted to play through the whole thing, but it froze on me so many times I eventually threw up my hands and traded it in. And Fallout shipped very buggy and two of the expansion packs were nonfuctional out of the gate. Seriously, the fact that games can be retroactively patched doesn't excuse companies charging us full price for games which don't run reasonably well.

xgraderx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 xgraderx
Member since 2008 • 2395 Posts

I've got to agree with these guys.I still enjoy the occasional JRPG but the genre is very stale imo.The WRPG's this gen have been stellar.

Kaim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Kaim91

[QUOTE="Kaim91"][QUOTE="reason58"] Mac vs PC. Coke vs Pepsi. 5-Hour Energy vs energy drinks. Etc etc. This is how advertising works.muthsera666

Actually, it's doing both. It's pointing out reasons why the JRPG genre is somewhat stagnant, which leads to the conclusion that their game is not doing those things. So, it's kind of like a detergent company doing a commercial saying "tired of all your clothes coming out of the wash with the colors fading? Try our brand!" The conclusion would be that their brand is improved in that selected capacity.

I guess I can't argue with that logic. I still can't help the feeling that this was unnecessary childish though.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wiouds

I play both but I like JRPG more. The gameplay, story, and character are normally better.

When I think if stagnant game type I think more of WRPG than JRPG. Fallout 3 was just like Obivion but the range and melee weapons in importance. Then there the V.A.S.T. system that remind me of JRPG games. (It remind me so it may not remind you but that does not change it.) Those two games place like Two World, Risen, Gothic 3, Neverwinter night 2, and Baldur's gate.

JRPG makers have do foolish thing like take out the world map.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
"I think it would be good if the hero had missions that weren't only about destroying evil." That would be good, but I'd rather they focus on having an excellent storyline than a bunch of mediocre ones. "The player is weak, the enemy is weak. That's way too convenient." I'd say WRPG and JRPG have the same difficulty (that I've played). "When did games become something you watch?" Since Indigo Prophecy. "Because the story doesn't change, what's the point of playing it again?" I find an excellent ending really seals up the game. I'd rather buy another JRPG afterwards than play a 'weak' new story in a WRPG. "What's a game that's moving in accordance to the scenario? It's the same as living on rails." Aren't all games like that (aside from sandbox)?
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Well they are right that JRPG follow the exact same formula as they did over ten years ago.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

Well they are right that JRPG follow the exact same formula as they did over ten years ago.Treflis

Well you can but not for all Final Fantasy change so much. Most WRPG follow the same formula for the same amount of time.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Well they are right that JRPG follow the exact same formula as they did over ten years ago.wiouds

Well you can but not for all Final Fantasy change so much. Most WRPG follow the same formula for the same amount of time.

WRPG actually have more variety then JRPG's

For instance you have Hack and Slash RPG games like Diablo and Dungeon Siege.

Aswell as Sandbox RPG games like Elder Scrolls: Morrowind and Oblivion.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well, finat fantasy 13 was a super linear game, one can aruge that fallout 3 had more exploration and things to do and that mass effect had more options and one can argue that final fantasy 13 was less borring than those 2 games because it continue without stopping for exploration or other redious thing that put you off course also one could say that it told its story better thanks to more scripting and linearity and being straightforward.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#44 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Well they are right that JRPG follow the exact same formula as they did over ten years ago.Treflis

If you're talking variety then JRPGs have sub genres as Action-role-playing, Strategy and Turn based system. That company might not like those types of games but they still appeal to millions. They wouldn't see more of them coming if they weren't selling. To some me included, those aren't even flaws.

That company needs to understand that:
-Not every JRPG is Final Fantasy.
-Not every JRPG revolves around a group of people going on a quest to save the world from evil.
-The majority of those who play JRPGs would rather have an androgynous male character as a lead than your usual tough guy. Not convinced? Look at Neir, they get Replicant and we don't.
-It's a Role-Playing game, it's only natural that it includes many cut-scenes however, gameplay to cutscene ration is three times bigger.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Well they are right that JRPG follow the exact same formula as they did over ten years ago.Treflis

And more complex such as Fallout1&2(greater then any console RPG, ever made), D&D type such as Baldur's Gate and countless others. Fact is, WRPG's have more variety then JRPG's will ever have. Just no need to compare.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
Japanese people don't even care enough for Western games to notice, for all they know the crappy Japanese games they play are the best around
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts

A quote: (HTML bug :P)

Fact is, WRPG's have more variety then JRPG's will ever have. Just no need to compare.

quoted for truth. To put this in perspective, they say that the FF Job system is really open ended, right? Try comparing that to NWN 2's character creation system. Yep.

They say Demon's Souls is really good, daresay better than other WRPGs? Ever played Fallout? Baldur's Gate II? Yep.

But, but the stories in FF games are better! It can basically be distilled down to some random group ridding the world of an ancient/new evil. Ever played Planescape Torment? Yep.

VladJasonDrac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VladJasonDrac
Member since 2010 • 601 Posts

Valid criticism and it is also a 100% proven ad strategy.

You saw it and posted it here for everyone to comment about thus creating a buzz.

You did everything that they wanted you to do. You are spreading the word.

Good job Bethesda. :)

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wiouds

When you compair JRPG to WRPG there are more WRPG that are alike for game play.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Squenix has always been very willing to mess around with the FF formula (in modern times, no two games have played alike). CarnageHeart

You're being a little too generous here. I haven't played anything beyond FFX, but from everything I've read, the changes were more like tweaks than anything that truly revamped the series. I'll give SE credit for at least attempting to put out some non-FF titles this gen, even if they were decidedly mediocre. But that's more a sign of just how far SE has fallen in terms of ability and imagination. It shows SE is willing to do something different once in awhile, even if they don't really know how, outside of their contributions to the PSP of course.