best sonic game of all time?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -

SONIC-002.png

post the cover of ur favorite sonic game. this game had the best gameplay, characters, and music.

#2 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -

Sonic 3

Can't find a cover for Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Anyways, that was my first Sonic game and to these days it is still my favorite.

#3 Posted by lozengez (509 posts) -

Sonic and SEGA All-Star Racing

lptCbbp.jpg

#4 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

vilb1f.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

- Best Gameplay
- Best Zones
- Best Music
- Best Special Stage
- Best Story
- Best Bosses
- Unique Character Abilities
- Elemental Shields
- Hyper Transformation

#5 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2819 posts) -

There really isn't a Sonic game that has a bunch of people saying "Oh yeah that's my favorite." I expect a lot of different answers. :)

As for me:

Adventure 1

Couldn't get enough of this game as a kid and would play it nonstop. The only thing that I didn't like was how the Chao garden paled in comparison to SA2's Chao garden.

#6 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

There really isn't a Sonic game that has a bunch of people saying "Oh yeah that's my favorite." I expect a lot of different answers. :)

Darkmoone1

I'd say most people like Sonic 2 the best, because it came out at the height of his popularity. I also think Sonic Adventure 2 gets a lot of love (undeserving in this case) because it was the first console game the Nintendo crowd was introduced to.

#7 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

My first Sonic game was Sonic 2 on the Genesis. I played it a lot, although I prefered Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the Genesis. I never got a Dreamcast but when Sonic Adventure 2 Battle released on the Gamecube it really rejuvinated my interest in Sonic and I definitely enjoyed it more than thr 2D games. And it's still by far the best music in the series. I haven't played it in a long time so it's hard to say how well it holds up, but it's close between that and Sonic Colours. Sonic Colours is without a doubt the best Sonic games since Sonic Adventure 2, but I don't know which is better. So I'll list both. 1370794-sonic_adventure_2_battle_title_s

Sonic_Colors_box_artwork.png

#8 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Out of the ones I've played? Sonic Colors. Sonic and the Secret Rings is close.

#9 Posted by EtherealMachine (96 posts) -

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, mainly because it was the first game I ever completed (I was 4 years old) also the music and levels were amazing.

#10 Posted by lozengez (509 posts) -

As for me:

Adventure 1

Couldn't get enough of this game as a kid and would play it nonstop. The only thing that I didn't like was how the Chao garden paled in comparison to SA2's Chao garden.

Darkmoone1
I love the music in SA1.
#11 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

WTF is happening in this thread. The only correct answers are Sonic 3 & Knuckles and this one which is my choice and clearly the best sonic game

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThALFM9M4Madl7eo0vKD0

#12 Posted by MonoSilver (1525 posts) -
The first one I ever played was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and it's always been my favourite.
#13 Posted by antiAntag0nist (56 posts) -

WTF is happening in this thread. The only correct answers are Sonic 3 & Knuckles and this one which is my choice and clearly the best sonic game

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThALFM9M4Madl7eo0vKD0

dvader654

Sonic 2, hands down. I don't hate the other games (although SA 1& 2 are kinda unplayable) but Sonic 2 will always remain the high point of the series for me.

#14 Posted by ultimameteora (2573 posts) -
Yeah, I always think of part 2 whenever someone mentions Sonic the Hedgehog.
#15 Posted by JimmiCottam (106 posts) -
Does Sonic Jam count?
#16 Posted by Darkmoone1 (2819 posts) -

WTF is happening in this thread. dvader654

Opinions. :)

#17 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1337 posts) -

Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing

A close second would be Sonic Generations and third is Sonic 2.

#18 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -

vilb1f.png

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

- Best Gameplay
- Best Zones
- Best Music
- Best Special Stage
- Best Story
- Best Bosses
- Unique Character Abilities
- Elemental Shields
- Hyper Transformation

Renegade_Fury
Only correct answer. All others are invalid.
#19 Posted by JustSignedUp (1148 posts) -
#20 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -
#21 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

Sonic Adventure 2 gets so much more praise than it actually deserves. The game has so many problems but the one that stands out would be that you play as the other characters the great majority of the time. On paper that wouldn't be a bad thing except for the fact that Tails, Knuckles and their counterparts all have rubbish gameplay mechanics. Not the case with SA1; a game which has an open world hub that allows you to choose the level you want to play.  It also has a decent storyline. Best of all, you play Sonic the majority of time while the other playable characters just serve as filler characters for the player to achieve the true ending. And yeah, the music is much better

#22 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

Sonic Adventure 2 gets so much more praise than it actually deserves. The game has so many problems but the one that stands out would be that you play as the other characters the great majority of the time. On paper that wouldn't be a bad thing except for the fact that Tails, Knuckles and their counterparts all have rubbish gameplay mechanics. Not the case with SA1; a game which has an open world hub that allows you to choose the level you want to play.  It also has a decent storyline. Best of all, you play Sonic the majority of time while the other playable characters just serve as filler characters for the player to achieve the true ending. And yeah, the music is much better

thebest31406

Nothing wrong with you preferring that game, but you don't play as Sonic the majority of the time. He has 10 levels. Tails and Knuckles each have 5. Gamma has a few, Big has a few and Amy has a few. The only difference is that each character's levels are all grouped together at once rather than alternating. Personally, I prefer having the characters alternate. 

#23 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

Sonic 2. Still so awesome.

#24 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]

Tropictrain

Nothing wrong with you preferring that game, but you don't play as Sonic the majority of the time. He has 10 levels. Tails and Knuckles each have 5. Gamma has a few, Big has a few and Amy has a few. The only difference is that each character's levels are all grouped together at once rather than alternating. Personally, I prefer having the characters alternate. 

You are right. I meant to say sonic has the most levels out of the bunch. In SA2, the Sonic/Shadow's missions combined are less than 50% of the overall game.
#25 Posted by benleslie5 (7773 posts) -

Mine is- SONIC 1

#26 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8768 posts) -

Sonic Rush is my favourite. It just has such strong mechanics. I'm surprised that people are picking Sonic Adventure 2... Sonic still hasn't made a truly successful transition into the 3rd dimension. At least in my opinion.

#27 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.
#28 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.famicommander

A long time fan, and yet you put the terribly boring, Knuckles Chaotix, over Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I don't even... 35a80na.gif

#29 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.Renegade_Fury

A long time fan, and yet you put the terribly boring, Knuckles Chaotix, over Sonic 3 & Knuckles? I don't even... 35a80na.gif

I love Chaotix. It's actually a new take on the 2D platformer, and it's especially good if you're playing with someone in your own skill level. I'm a huge fan and I love Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but I feel like the level design in those games isn't as good as in Sonic 1 and 2. Chaotix is so different and so original, and I appreciate it very much. Also, notice that I listed Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles separately. I know that they were originally going to be one title before SEGA cut it up into two, but I had to buy both individually and therefore I treat them as separate games.
#30 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17056 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.famicommander

I love Chaotix. It's actually a new take on the 2D platformer, and it's especially good if you're playing with someone in your own skill level. I'm a huge fan and I love Sonic 3 and Knuckles, but I feel like the level design in those games isn't as good as in Sonic 1 and 2. Chaotix is so different and so original, and I appreciate it very much. Also, notice that I listed Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles separately. I know that they were originally going to be one title before SEGA cut it up into two, but I had to buy both individually and therefore I treat them as separate games.

I don't know, but even when I play Knuckles' Chaotix with someone, I still find it very boring. It makes you play essentially every stage five times, with literally no challenge nor change whatsoever. All it really has is quirkiness, IMO. I saw that you listed Sonic 3 & Knuckles separately, but I think both games, especially 3, easily rank on the same level or outdo Sonic 1, 2, and CD . Combined though, it just makes it that much easier to put at the top, and since it's the same adventure, I just like to name them together. As for the level design, I guess we just disagree, because I see it just as a bigger and better Sonic 2.

#31 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]

thebest31406

You are right. I meant to say sonic has the most levels out of the bunch. In SA2, the Sonic/Shadow's missions combined are less than 50% of the overall game.

Sonic's missions in Sonic Adventure are still less than 50% of the whole game too... I still don't understand your point. 

#32 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8768 posts) -

I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.famicommander

I'm actually a bit surprised at the lack of Sonic Generations on your top 10. That's a really strong entry in the franchise and it makes great nods to all the classic Sonic games to boot. what did you think of it?

#33 Posted by BranKetra (48164 posts) -
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles is my choice.
#34 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

[QUOTE="thebest31406"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Tropictrain

Sonic's missions in Sonic Adventure are still less than 50% of the whole game too... I still don't understand your point. 

Hmm...I didn't realize. The forced alternation must be the thing I hate the most.
#35 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -

[QUOTE="famicommander"]I own literally every Sonic game ever released to a home or handheld platform in physical form. In my book: 1. Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Genesis version 2. Sonic CD 3. Sonic the Hedgehog, Genesis version 4. Knuckles' Chaotix 5. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 6. Sonic and Knuckles 7. Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure 8. Sonic Colors (Wii version) 9. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast version) 10. Sonic the Hedgehog Triple Trouble (Game Gear) But as far as I'm concerned every game in the series is enjoyable except Sonic '06. Yes, I even like Free Riders, Shadow, Labyrinth, and Black Knight.Pikminmaniac

I'm actually a bit surprised at the lack of Sonic Generations on your top 10. That's a really strong entry in the franchise and it makes great nods to all the classic Sonic games to boot. what did you think of it?

I think it's a great game, but it didn't break any new ground whatsoever. It didn't even improve upon Colors in my opinion; it's more of a step to the side with a bunch of nostalgia crammed in. Lost World is what I would call an evolution of the 3D formula whereas Generations is just a retread.
#36 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

Surprised no one mentioned Sonic CD.  Lots of critics say it's the best one.

#37 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -

Sonic 3

#38 Posted by l34052 (3124 posts) -

250px-Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

Sega-Genesis-sega-genesis-24884685-300-4

By far the best sonic games.

#39 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

thebest31406

I've played it. It's a good game, but the Genesis titles are a lot better I think. I also grew up with the Genesis titles and didn't play CD until Sonic Gems was released on the GCN... so maybe that has something to do with it. But it didn't really wow me. 

#40 Posted by Smashbrossive50 (2882 posts) -
I used to like everything before 2005-2008 such as Sonic Advance 3,Sonic CD,I'm still liking these eventhough these are old...for the newer generation,I chose Sonic Colors
#41 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

thebest31406
A lot of critics are wrong.
#42 Posted by BranKetra (48164 posts) -

thebest31406

Sonic CD is a good game, but I favor more aspects of Sonic 3 than it. The ability to go to natural or technological environments on most stages (Past & Future, respectively)is a fun feature, but the changes seem mostly superficial while Sonic 3 stages are more immersive because of environment details and interaction (The latter is the big difference). Metal Sonic is awesome, but being able to play as Knuckles is better because he can do some things Sonic cannot such as gliding and wall climbling.

#43 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

As for me:

Adventure 1

Darkmoone1

Sonic Adventure 1 is also my choice.

As a person who says the Sonic franchise is one of my favorite franchises of all time, people are often confused when I say Sonic Adventure is my favorite instead of saying Sonic 2 or 3 on the Genesis.

I love all the classics. But I still have so much fun playing Sonic Adventure even today.

It still holds up. I think it aged very well. It has EXCELLENT game feel. The way Sonic controls feels so smooth. I wish they could make another 3D Sonic game that feels similar.

The music in SA is also amazing. Great game feel, great music and great level design make for a legendary game.

"HERE I COME! ROUGHER THAN THE REST OF EM!"

#44 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]

BranKetra

Sonic CD is a good game, but I favor more aspects of Sonic 3 than it. The ability to go to natural or technological environments on most stages (Past & Future, respectively)is a fun feature, but the changes seem mostly superficial while Sonic 3 stages are more immersive because of environment details and interaction (The latter is the big difference). Metal Sonic is awesome, but being able to play as Knuckles is better because he can do some things Sonic cannot such as gliding and wall climbling.

I agree with you completely. I've scene playthroughs of Sonic CD and I'm not impressed. Aside from the time traveling gimmick, it can't touch Sonic 3 & Knuckles in terms of content, diversity and replayability.
#45 Posted by thebest31406 (3323 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]

As for me:

Adventure 1

GeoffZak

As a person who says the Sonic franchise is one of my favorite franchises of all time, people are often confused when I say Sonic Adventure is my favorite instead of saying Sonic 2 or 3 on the Genesis.

I love all the classics. But I still have so much fun playing Sonic Adventure even today.

It still holds up. I think it aged very well. It has EXCELLENT game feel. The way Sonic controls feels so smooth. I wish they could make another 3D Sonic game that feels similar.

The music in SA is also amazing. Great game feel, great music and great level design make for a legendary game.

The best of the 3D bunch imo. Have you played the Gamecube version? It's suppose to run at a consistent 60fps yet it gets some of the worst scores by critics.
#46 Posted by Heirren (16556 posts) -
Sonic orSonic 2. Sonic 3 wasn't nearly as good--the game has terrible level design and ugly visuals.
#47 Posted by AbstractRadical (629 posts) -
Sonic The Hedgehog 2.
#48 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

[QUOTE="GeoffZak"]

[QUOTE="Darkmoone1"]

As for me:

Adventure 1

thebest31406

The best of the 3D bunch imo. Have you played the Gamecube version? It's suppose to run at a consistent 60fps yet it gets some of the worst scores by critics.

Yeah I have. That confuses me. It's the same game with graphical improvements, and when Sonic Adventure 1 was initially released, it recieved such high scores.

#49 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

for me

1. Sonic 3

2. sonic adventure 2

3. sonic 2

4. sonic and knuckles

pretty meh for all the others that I have played

#50 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

SONIC-002.png

post the cover of ur favorite sonic game. this game had the best gameplay, characters, and music.

JustSignedUp

I just knew this was going to be the first game to show up. How do you consider a game where only 25% of the game has anything to with Sonic while the other 85% is spent playing mind numbingly tedious treasure hunting and mech shooting stages to be the best Sonic game of all time? Even outside of the game playing almost nothing like a Sonic game, it has terrible music and art and the story is far too melodramatic and inappropriate.