GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3106 Posts

This one is tough. Of my choices (Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Symphony of the Night, Metroid Prime, Uncharted 2), I have to give Super Metroid the nod.

Even as a kid, I was completely blown away by that game and it's still eminently playable to this day.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Life is Strange followed by Vampire Bloodlines and Fallout New Vegas.

New Vegas was great for how epic it is with all those DLC's, which I got a good deal out of playing since I was patient and late to get into it. It also let me be as nasty as want so I took a lot out on those polygons I tell ya. Left that wasteland in a right mess.

Bloodlines was great, right up my street. I've been praying for another deep, involving Vampire themed game to come. Something just like Bloodlines.

Life is Strangetops my list. It's a beautiful, moody game. It doesn't have any heavy game-play mechanics, It's just a third person adventure where you play an 18 year old girl in an outter American suburbian town, who's life gets suddenly messed up when she develops a supernatural power. It's like very much like Donnie Darco in Twin-Peaks except I would say it supersedes both.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

Best Story goes to Persona 3 or Persona 4 hands down for me.

My favorite single player game in general however is probably Banjo-Tooie, Pokemon Silver, or Jet Set Radio Future.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GalvatronType_R: Final Fantasy X and Mass Effect 2 without any shadow of a doubt

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Best SP: RE4, The Witcher 3, Bayonetta, SMG 1-2, Zelda: OOT, MGS 1-3, Zelda: ALBW, Metroid Prime, Max Payne 1-2, Bloodborne ehm... too many to list. Best of the best: RE4 and The Witcher 3.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Dying Light

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Chrono Trigger, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy IX, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil 4

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#8 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

I've liked too many games to give that call. However in recent memory, Bayonetta 2 stands tall.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#9 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Too many to name a top one. Mass Effect series, Uncharted 2, Metroid Prime, BioShock and BioShock Infinite, any Legend of Zelda title, Psychonauts, Shadow of the Colossus, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and more. But I think The Last of Us is still number 1 for me.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Many to choose from, but whenever the network connection of mine goes down for hours. It's usually either Doom or Transport Tycoon that I turn to for single player.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i can barely pick a top 30 never mind a single game. there's just been so many that i loved over the years.

how do you separate games like mario bros, secret of monkey island, super mario world, another world, theme park, streetfighter 2, golden eye, fallout, half life, curse of monkey island, gta 3, call of duty 2, chaos theory, half life 2, vice city, morrowind, deus ex, crysis, dishonored and dozens more? completely different styles of games that have given me amazing experiences in many ways. i just can't do it

@sukraj said:

Dying Light

to each their own and all that, but are you really saying you haven't played anything better in all your years of gaming (i seem to recall you mentioning you're in your 40s)?

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

i have to with Fallout 3, Mass Effect trilogy (loved how my choices carried into the next games), and Bioshock. Special shout out to the Arkham series as well.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#14 d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

Half-Life for me.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

When it comes to really good single player games, that's what it's all about for me, even FPS or any shooters with a good single player. That said, these are my picks:

• Witcher 3
  • The Last of Us
  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Mario 64
  • Halo CE
  • Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  • Metroid Prime
  • Luigi's Manson
  • Resident Evil: Revaluation
  • Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Alan Wake
  • Red Dead Redemption

That's it for now and these are the games that I enjoy with there single player experience.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Pretty much all my favourite games of all time, such as:

• Half-Life 2 (inc. Episodes)
  • Bioshock
  • Halo series
  • Mass Effect trilogy
  • Red Dead Redmeption
  • Portal 2
  • Witcher 3
  • Batman Arkham games (especially Arkham Knight & Asylum)

...to name a few.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Too many to name but i'll list a top 10 sp games

(not in order cause I'm lazy)

• Metroid Prime
  • TLOU
  • MGS5
  • MGS3
  • The Witcher 3
  • Kotor
  • Mass Effect series
  • Fallout series
  • LoZ WW
  • RE4
FenrirsPack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FenrirsPack
Member since 2015 • 95 Posts

Portal 2

Zelda: Windwaker

Mass Effect One

Riven: Sequel to Myst

Avatar image for madeinbrazil123
madeinbrazil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#19 madeinbrazil123
Member since 2014 • 148 Posts

The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Some of my favorites

• 1 Super Metroid: I was a huge fan of the original on the NES. I was going nuts in anticipation for Super Metroid. It lived up to my expectations and then some.
  • 2 Zelda ALTTP: Same thing as Metroid I played the original and couldn't wait for a sequel. Even though I played Zelda 2 on the NES I couldn't wait for a true sequel to the original.
  • 3 Castlevania IV: I was a big fan since the first one on the NES. The game proved to be Castlevania perfection.
  • 4 Yoshi's Island: At first I hated it it looked childish. After having finished the game it was pure bliss for a video game. I love the amount of level variety and creativity that went into this game.
  • 5 Metroid Prime 2: It expanded on every thing that made the original Prime great. I like it more then the first because of the darker tone and atmosphere.
  • 6 Star Wars KOTOR: My entire life I hated RPG's. I never gave them an honest shot until this game. Game play and story were phenomenal.
  • 7 Ninja Gaiden Black: The hardest 3d game I ever played but the combat was perfect. I love the creativity that went into the art design.
  • 8 Dark Souls: A game similar to Zelda in many aspects but with a darker tone. Love the loot system and world design.
  • 9 Zelda Wind Waker: Love the art design and the atmosphere. A lot of people hated the sailing but I enjoyed the sense of wonder I got the first time sail into the ocean.
  • 10 Bayonetta: Loved the creativity that went into the game the combat was perfection.

I missed out on a lot of games over the years. I still have many games in my backlog yet to play. Castlevania SOTN Chrono Trigger Final Fantasy 3 Shadow of the Colossus Sonic 3 and many more. I've been buying up all the games I missed out on.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

My favorite game ever is Majora's Mask and it's singleplayer and I'll say that, although I do agree with TC in saying that Super Metroid has aged incredibly well. I played it for the first time a few years ago and it was better than most other games I've played.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

Parasite Eve is my #1

Other greats are Majora's Mask, Valkyria Chronicles, System Shock 2, Fatal Frame 2, Super Metroid

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@madeinbrazil123 said:

The Walking Dead seasons 1 and 2.

Yeah definitely!

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@Macutchi said:

i can barely pick a top 30 never mind a single game. there's just been so many that i loved over the years.

how do you separate games like mario bros, secret of monkey island, super mario world, another world, theme park, streetfighter 2, golden eye, fallout, half life, curse of monkey island, gta 3, call of duty 2, chaos theory, half life 2, vice city, morrowind, deus ex, crysis, dishonored and dozens more? completely different styles of games that have given me amazing experiences in many ways. i just can't do it

@sukraj said:

Dying Light

to each their own and all that, but are you really saying you haven't played anything better in all your years of gaming (i seem to recall you mentioning you're in your 40s)?

I do enjoy other games but it's just that I'm enjoying dying Light it little bit more than most of the games that I have played in the past lol. I don't like all those games that you mentioned except for Half Life 2.

OP wanted to know what everyone's favourite game is so out of all the games I have played Dying Light is one of the best games I have played.

I hear ya it's hard to narrow it down to one game I also could name more than one game that I thoroughly enjoyed but then I'd be here all day wouldn't i.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Evil_Saluki

@sukraj said:
@Macutchi said:

@sukraj said:

Dying Light

I do enjoy other games but it's just that I'm enjoying dying Light it little bit more than most of the games that I have played in the past lol. I don't like all those games that you mentioned except for Half Life 2.

OP wanted to know what everyone's favourite game is so out of all the games I have played Dying Light is one of the best games I have played.

I hear ya it's hard to narrow it down to one game I also could name more than one game that I thoroughly enjoyed but then I'd be here all day wouldn't i.

I don't think Dying Light is a bad choice, and I know it's blowing my own trumpet by coming from me that is saying something.

Dying Light, yes it's first person and yes it's zombies, yes it's AAA graphics and big budget. A lot of these notes instantly hit on the inner hipster on players who think it has to be black and white and end with Finn in order to qualify as a classic.

Dying light had a lot of subtle features that made it stand out to anyone with an open mind and the willingness to play it. The way it based itself around Escape From New York, with it's out of town protagonist on a mission being dumped into a place he had no idea was a hell hole. The music ambiance, with it's 80's vibes that captured the mood and depravity of the situation perfectly, being one of few games to have the bollocks to feature child zombies, and how a bit of you dies inside when your forced to deal with them, and by God;- the feeling as you attempted to venture out at night. Shit the bed.

Also, this may sound strange, but my brother is a successful artist and it is it's rare for him to take a step back and admit to being inspired by something, he has aways been under the inspiration of "I can do that and better" which is his competitive edge kicking in.

It was when he saw the loading screen to dying light as shown below.

For some reason this got his attention. Now I'm not an artist but apparently, this is one of those pictures speaking a thousand words situations. I won't go into it too much, but I can see where he is coming from. But yes, it inspired his next bit of work.

End of the day, the game had a good team behind it and they delivered on what they wanted. My only gripe was those damn quick time events on the last part and that annoying bit of metal rubar that i kept hitting my head on during the very last sprint.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@Evil_Saluki: for me it's a good game and possibly the best single player zombie game i've played, but i thought calling it the best sp game of all time was a bit of a stretch. obviously it's all just opinions so it's interesting to read what made it great in other people's eyes. being inspired by escape from new york is not something i personally would factor in when evaluating the game but if you're a fan of the films then i can understand why you enjoyed that. and i agree about the 80s vibe and the mood it created. the desolate atmosphere reminded me a little of the stalker games in places which is definitely a good thing.

but i thought the game only did one thing really well and that was the way it handled going out at night, early on in the game. it was genuinely brilliant and intense at times. my stand out moments with the game pretty much all came at night. other than that i thought everything else was solid and good but not quite great. it might make my top 5 games of the year list by the end of the year but it won't top it

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Evil_Saluki
@Macutchi said:

@Evil_Saluki: for me it's a good game and possibly the best single player zombie game i've played, but i thought calling it the best sp game of all time was a bit of a stretch. obviously it's all just opinions so it's interesting to read what made it great in other people's eyes. being inspired by escape from new york is not something i personally would factor in when evaluating the game but if you're a fan of the films then i can understand why you enjoyed that. and i agree about the 80s vibe and the mood it created. the desolate atmosphere reminded me a little of the stalker games in places which is definitely a good thing.

but i thought the game only did one thing really well and that was the way it handled going out at night, early on in the game. it was genuinely brilliant and intense at times. my stand out moments with the game pretty much all came at night. other than that i thought everything else was solid and good but not quite great. it might make my top 5 games of the year list by the end of the year but it won't top it

Yes that's fine, it's not my personal choice, I made mine above, but I do think it's got a bit of class over most AAA games in the last few years so I can't blame someone for enjoying it. Quite often Dying Light can be the game of choice for "It's the best game I played recently" scenario, but given time when you look back you might think of something further down the line that has stricken a chord more deeply. But I worry it's often overlooked as a shallow game but it doesn't deserve that stigma.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts

Goldeneye 007 for me. Ofcourse that was such a long time ago, and the graphics have aged so badly, I don't know if it can be applied in today's world.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Throw a dart at any of these. You can't miss.

• Ocarina of Time
  • A Link to the Past
  • Pokemon Gold
  • Fallout 3
  • Oblivion
  • Half Life 2
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Star Fox 64
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

There are so many that are so good for so many reasons. The Last of Us is certainly up there, as is Heavy Rain. Strong, narrative heavy games will probably always top this list. Silent Hill 1 through 3 and Shattered Memories for the Wii. Resident Evil 1 through 4. Alan Wake.

I would also include Vampire Bloodlines in this list in spite of it's many, many, many horrible flaws. I really wish someone would make a good "spiritual successor" game to that. I'd throw $100 down on that Kickstarter in a minute.

-Byshop

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Mass effect 2

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33  Edited By Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

Ultima 7, Syndicate (original), Skyrim, Civ III and V, Jagged Alliance 1-2, Scorched Earth, Theme Hospital, Simcity 2000-3000, Simfarm, Saints Row 3-4, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road, Bloodrayne 2, Red Alert 1-2, Tomb Raider 2013, Beautiful Katamari, Halo, Final Fantasy IV, 8 & 10, Chrono Trigger/Cross

Probably out of this list of single player games, Civilization 5 is the one i've spent the most hours with. With Civilization 3 very close, followed by Ultima 7, Skyrim and Jagged Alliance 2.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

probably one of the following

• A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
  • Pikmin
  • Metroid Prime
  • Batman Arkham City
  • Pikmin 3
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Bloodborne

CoUGHB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CoUGHB
Member since 2013 • 30 Posts

- Deus Ex: Human Revolution

- Mass Effect 2

- The Last of Us

- Bioshock 1 & 2

- L.A. Noire

- Hotline Miami

(In no particular order)

Seanh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Seanh
Member since 2015 • 203 Posts

Best for me are: Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, 10 & 12

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

These are the first three I thought of:

• Dragon Age: Origins
  • Dark Souls
  • Divinity: Original Sin

Hmmm they all begin with 'D'

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: This was addicting as hell when I was a kid. Unfortunately it hasn't aged well and the graphics make me wanna gouge my eyes out with a spoon. It's weird to think that was state of the art graphics in '98.

Far Cry 3: It was a huge step up from Far Cry 2 and it's always an enjoyable experience.

Far Cry 4: It borrowed a lot from Far Cry 3, which got it a lot of criticism, but since FC3 is a great game, it doesn't bother me. I do hope Ubisoft innovates with the next Far Cry game though. Wishful thinking, I know. They're just shitting out Assassin's Creed games now like Treyarch and Infinity Ward/Sledgehammer Games shit out a yearly Call of Duty.

The Uncharted series: Indiana Jones in video game form; what's not to like about that?

Call of Duty 3: My first CoD; it may not be impressive now, but sometimes my nostalgia kicks in, and I'll play a few missions.

Call of Duty: World at War: My favorite CoD campaign

The MW2 series: Action packed missions with their own story lines in each game and memorable characters (RIP Roach, Ghost, Gaz, and Soap)

Sniper Elite V2: I loved the demo and I loved the game.

The Last of Us: A game with a post-pandemic setting, memorable characters, action packed firefights, heavy importance on survival, and enemies that seem to have their own individual personalities make this a superb game that will hopefully be a classic or retro game 15-20 years from now.

Crysis 2: Epic campaign and a new feel to shooting guns IMO. Also Hans Zimmer. 'Nuff said.

Dishonored: All of those little gadgets you get give this game a high replay value. Stealth is fun at first until you realize you're limited to choke outs and sleep darts, which run out fast.

The Witcher 3: Very detailed characters, settings, awesome voice acting, fun combat, and a variety of enemies definitely means that it deserves its score of 10 on GS. Not to mention CD Projekt Red's huge support for the game and a $25 DLC for two extra story lines that will add up to 30 more hours of gameplay is just awesome. That's pretty much a whole game right there for less than half the cost of a full priced game. This a developer that truly deserves every dollar they get. I wish Bethesda had this support for the PS3 version of Skyrim. They could learn a thing or two from CD. Your customers should come first. Without customers, you don't make any money.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I'm not going to make a massive list, but Portal 2 is up there along with Half Life 2.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#40 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Max Payne 2.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

Deus ex: human revolution

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#42 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. I know a lot of people say the original MGS, or MGS3 Snake Eater was better, but MGS2 was just amazing, even if you didn't get to play as Snake the whole game. I felt more of a connection with the story in MGS2.

Jurassic85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jurassic85
Member since 2010 • 2191 Posts
  • The Last of Us
  • Fallout 3
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Splinter Cell CT
  • Deus Ex Human Revolution
  • Metroid Fusion
  • Portal 2
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Metroid Prime, I enjoyed Half-Life 2 with the episodes as well.

Grillingcoats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 Grillingcoats
Member since 2015 • 241 Posts

Majora's Mask or Morrowind. Tough call

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

When I was young it was surely Dune 1 and Privateer 2 but more recently Tomb Raider 2013 and Shadow of Mordor.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I don't know about all-time best. But Alien Isolation would easily one of the best recent single player experiences I've had in quite a good while.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Fallout: New Vegas

Shenmue 2

Final Fantasy X

Dragon Quest VIII

Persona 4 Golden

Any one of those will do.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I've been playing video games for 35 years. I've played a lot of good game over that time. Too many good one to make a complete list. My favorite all time game is Super Metroid. I was a fan of the original on the nes and had to beg borrow and steal to get Super Metorid the day it released. I traded in a bunch of games thinking it was only going to cost $50. It rang up and $80 I was pist. I couldn't go anywhere else because most of my money was trade in credit. Funcoland was just as evil as Gamestop.