Best Shmups....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Joystick_n_hand
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Joystick_n_hand
Member since 2007 • 460 Posts
Shmups are addictive and nerve shattering. I really love the Gradius series, but I recently played a game called "GUWANGE" that is amazing! It is a vertical shmup that takes place in an alternative feudal Japan, complete with strange creatures and throw-back rickshaw mechs. It is quite awesome. Any other greats anyone knows of to alert us shmupers to some hidden gems...
kodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kodai
Member since 2003 • 924 Posts
Raiden Project 1 & 2 on the PS1. They offer original and new music score to boot. The new music is the way to go.
-NickJC-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 -NickJC-
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

R-TypeIII, UN Squadron, Axelay, Ikaruga, ThunderForce IV, Blazing lazers, Forgotten worlds, Radiant Silvergun.Sexy Parodius

Be warned some of them are very very hard.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Guwange along the rest of Cave SHUMPS are top-notch. Progear no Arashi is one of their best games.

Musha ALESTE for the Mega Drive was the first game to take on the alternative Feudal Japan idea. Then it was followed by Dennin ALESTE for the Mega-CD.

Vasara I & II are also great feudal Japan SHMUPS.

Everything done by Raizing/Eighting is brillant. Specially Armed Police Batrider and Kingdom Grandprix.

ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#5 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I always liked Salamander on the C64.
Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts

Guwange along the rest of Cave SHUMPS are top-notch. Progear no Arashi is one of their best games.

Musha ALESTE for the Mega Drive was the first game to take on the alternative Feudal Japan idea. Then it was followed by Dennin ALESTE for the Mega-CD.

Vasara I & II are also great feudal Japan SHMUPS.

Everything done by Raizing/Eighting is brillant. Specially Armed Police Batrider and Kingdom Grandprix.

Panzer_Zwei

I knew I'd find you here :P.

Avatar image for AuthenticKaizen
AuthenticKaizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AuthenticKaizen
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts

really good suggestions mentioned here already...

so i just want to add einhander for the psone!

if you furthermore like arena shooters (multi directional shooting) like geometry wars for example, check definitely my blog out...

you will find there more than 20 handpicked great freeware games of this type.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#8 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

What are Shmups?

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Panzer_Zwei

I knew I'd find you here :P.

Video_Game_King
Certainly. ;)

What are Shmups?

Zathic
Shoot 'em-ups. It is a special genre of shooting games. It was very prolific genre in the Arcades of the 80's and 90's-
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Gradius V / Gaiden
R-Type Delta
Einhander
Dodonpachi
Psyvariar 2
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Joystick_n_hand

Oh Yes! Progear is a super-great game. Some serious bullets in that one. And it is sooooo beautiful. Vasara is solid as well. One freeware I played was " Warning! Forever" It is strange in that there is one enemy at a time and it compounds on itself with each successive level. It gets pretty hairy as you progress. It is sad that shmups are rare these days....but thank the gaming-gods that there is a substantial backlog of them out around.

...some Progear madness.

Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Joystick_n_hand

Here's some more pics for ya....

...This is Warning! Forever. The Big-freak is bad. The tiny sprite in the middle is good. Now save the universe!

and...

...the wickedness that is GUWANGE

SHERBO64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SHERBO64
Member since 2008 • 82 Posts
IKARUGA
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

Soukyugurentai on the Saturn is really good.

The Saturn had a lot of really good Shmups. If you like that genre a Japanese Saturn would be a good purchase. Most of the good Saturn Shmups were never released outside Japan. Alternatively if you get a PAL Saturn you can get an Action Replay card that makes it region free.

Rej72380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#15 Rej72380
Member since 2003 • 545 Posts

Thunder Force V: Perfect System (PSOne)

SolarStriker (Gameboy)

R-Type DX (GBC)

Gekio: Shooting King (PSOne)

Metal Black (Arcade)

Gradius: The Interstellar Assault (Gameboy)

Xevious (Arcade/NES/GBA)

G-Darius (Arcade)

RayStorm (Arcade)

Raiden: Fighters Jet (Arcade)

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Panzer_Zwei

The Saturn had a lot of really good Shmups. If you like that genre a Japanese Saturn would be a good purchase. Most of the good Saturn Shmups were never released outside Japan. Alternatively if you get a PAL Saturn you can get an Action Replay card that makes it region free.

x-2tha-z

The Saturn had the best SHMUPS of any system released so far. The best SHMUP developers of all time, many whom do not exist anymore, all made games for the Saturn.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

Panzer_Zwei

The Saturn had the best SHMUPS of any system released so far. The best SHMUP developers of all time, many whom do not exist anymore, all made games for the Saturn.

Is that really needed? We all know that the only shooters we'll see this gen are Ikaruga on Live Arcade and Pure White Giant Glastonberry.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

Video_Game_King

Is that really needed? We all know that the only shooters we'll see this gen are Ikaruga on Live Arcade and Pure White Giant Glastonberry.

Definitely needed. It's the console with the best library of SHMUP of all time. It beat any other system before it like the Mega Drive or PC-Engine and that's saying something, and the Dreamcast and PS2 nevr came anywhere close to it. They were all filled with generic and boring games.

Raizing/8ing, Technosoft, Cave, Psykyo, Taito, Konami, Treasure, hell anybody who was ever anybody in the genre made games for the Saturn. And the games that were shared or later ported to the the PS were either subpar/downgraded on that system.

I doubt we'll ever see anything like it anymore for many numbers of reasons.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Video_Game_King
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

Panzer_Zwei

Definitely needed. It's the console with the best library of SHMUP of all time. It beat any other system before it like the Mega Drive or PC-Engine and that's saying something, and the Dreamcast and PS2 nevr came anywhere close to it. They were all filled with generic and boring games.

Raizing/8ing, Technosoft, Cave, Psykyo, Taito, Konami, Treasure, hell anybody who was ever anybody in the genre made games for the Saturn. And the games that were shared or later ported to the the PS were either subpar/downgraded on that system.

I meant "so far". That's why I bolded it.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="x-2tha-z"]

Video_Game_King

I meant "so far". That's why I bolded it.

I know, and it was worth mentioning it was the best system so far.It's not like they didn't make SHMUPS anymore after the Saturn, the Dreamcast and PS2 all got a whole bunch of them. Problem was that the mayotiyy were all lackluster compared to past offerings and not really worth mentioning.
Joystick_n_hand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Joystick_n_hand

...Espgaluda 2

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Video_Game_King

I know, and it was worth mentioning it was the best system so far.It's not like they didn't make SHMUPS anymore after the Saturn, the Dreamcast and PS2 all got a whole bunch of them. Problem was that the mayotiyy were all lackluster compared to past offerings and not really worth mentioning.Panzer_Zwei

Again, the so far isn't needed because that implies that there's a chance that it'll be dethroned in the future. Why not just say ever, like a normal person :P?