Best Sega Controller?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TURBO-DASH (70 posts) -
I would give it to the Saturn Controller by a land slide!!!! My order would be Saturn>>MS>Genesis>>DC>The Analog Saturn controller>Gamegear>SG-1000. The DC was nothing but the Saturn Analog with more buttons or so. Personally, those two switch positions, but the DC controller is pretty bad and feels like it will break, the buttons are too spaced out, the slots for the VMU's must be blown or wiped a lot of times after prolonged use and it just does not feel ergonomic. The Saturn basic controller is the exact opposite. The Best Directional input ever made, tight firm grip mmm yeah, responsive buttons, good in all types of hand unlike the competition Dualshock or octopus spider(n64 controller), and the shoulder buttons slip right under the finger and not too much pressure is needed.
#2 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

The SS analog control had 6 face buttons, the DC controller only had 4.

The DC controller had 2 less buttons than the SS controller.

#3 Posted by TURBO-DASH (70 posts) -

The SS analog control had 6 face buttons, the DC controller only had 4.

The DC controller had 2 less buttons than the SS controller.

Panzer_Zwei
Oh, I see. My mistake, I only used it back when it was newer so excuse my memory.
#4 Posted by Allicrombie (25331 posts) -
not having extensive Sega controller experience, I did really enjoy the Dreamcast controller. (Admittedly, part of that may have been the VMU, however.)
#5 Posted by Buckhannah (339 posts) -
Dreamcast, because the VMU was neat.
#6 Posted by amari24 (1898 posts) -
The Saturn Model 2 controller is flawless to me. Then I'd go Genesis 3-button and Master System. Absolute worst would be the Dreamcast IMO.
#7 Posted by saosebastiao (111 posts) -

Well, my hands prefer the Sega Saturn 3D controller, after that it's the V1 Sega Saturn Controller and the Mega Drive 6 buttons controller. To this day, I still hate the Sega Saturn version 2 controller (especially the shoulder buttons, I REALLY hate those cheap bas*****), and the Master System controller (mainly the D-pad, it really annoys me).

I also played once the Dreamcast one, and it seemed okay, but then again, it was only once.

#8 Posted by Exceed20XX (1030 posts) -

Going with the Saturn controllers, model 2 or the wireless one do fine by me.

#9 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Going with the Saturn controllers, model 2 or the wireless one do fine by me.

Exceed20XX
^This
#10 Posted by Lucianu (9489 posts) -

The Saturn Model 2 controller is simply the best controller for 2D games. There isn't anything that comes close, not back then, not now.

Though i do like the 6 button Genesis controller aswell.

#11 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Saturn model 2 controller.

#12 Posted by Heirren (17742 posts) -

The Saturn Model 2 controller is simply the best controller for 2D games. There isn't anything that comes close, not back then, not now.

Though i do like the 6 button Genesis controller aswell.

Lucianu
Best sega controller but I don't think the dpad was the best ever for 2d games.
#13 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

I love Segas d-pads in general, aside from the Dreamcast which has the worst d-pad ever created by anyone ever. My favorite one (somewhat surprisingly): Sega Nomad. It is almost as smooth feeling as an anolog stick but still accurate as a d-pad. I wish more d-pads were in the Sega style where there is a circular (or square) section that rocks all together instead of having it cut out in the shape of a cross. It works a lot better for diagonal pushes especially. Only other company that makes them that way is Microsoft, I think.

#14 Posted by final_lap (327 posts) -

The silly thing about the Saturn controller was that the XYZ buttons were different from the ABC buttons, which is impractical for the only genre that needed 6 buttons to begin with - Capcom fighters. The buttons were stiff as well.

I might say Saturn 3D pad is better than Dreamcast controller simply because it's not Dreamcast controller. Really, the only thing worse about Saturn 3D pad is that the analog is too subtle, but I think I'd be willing to take that compromise over the cramped VMU slot, jagged triggers, VMU beeping, and cheap look and feel of the Dreamcast controller. Well another problem is that the buttons aren't in a directional shape, but I actually remember playing Quake on Saturn using the buttons for movement, so at least it's usable.

On charm alone, I might pick Saturn (japanese) controller, or maybe even Sega Genesis 3 button controller.

#15 Posted by critorkong (48 posts) -

Dreamcast, although the only other controller i've used is Genesis

#16 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Dreamcast, although the only other controller i've used is Genesis

critorkong
And you take the Dreamcast controller over it? What kind of hands do you have? :o
#17 Posted by Seabas989 (10552 posts) -

I'll also go with the Saturn Model 2 controller.

#18 Posted by thecrypticodor (192 posts) -

The original model 1 3 button Genesis controller for me. My controller of choice for any console that uses that generic 9 pin d-sub connector that a ton of consoles/computers used during the 80's. Although the Saturn Model 2 controllers are ridiculously awesome as well.

#19 Posted by Domino_slayer (763 posts) -

The best are the 2nd Saturn controller, and 6-button Genesis controller.

Worst are Master System (worst D-Pad in history), and 3D Saturn (terrible analogue stick, zero ergonomic design).

#20 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4728 posts) -

Genesis 6 button.

#21 Posted by LJSEXAY (1866 posts) -
Dreamcast. It was unique.
#22 Posted by LAN7ERN (373 posts) -
If I had to pick I would say the Dreamcast's controller was the best one.
#23 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

Not the Dreamcast one, that's for sure.

#24 Posted by mariokart64fan (19537 posts) -

saturn or genesis six button the dc was alright but it had less buttons

#25 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
Dreamcast. Then the Sega Saturn Nights controller.
#26 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
If I had to pick I would say the Dreamcast's controller was the best one. LAN7ERN
Ditto. If the Dreamcast controller had another analog stick on the right side it would've been superb. Vmu slot is still awesome.
#27 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

The Saturn one, easily.

It had the great button-placement of the Genesis 6-button controller, but with 2 shoulder buttons instead of just one, and with a better build-quality.

#28 Posted by GulliversTravel (3062 posts) -
Dreamcast. It was unique.LJSEXAY
It was also terrible for actually playing games. Oh well not as bad the N64s at least.
#29 Posted by Megavideogamer (5466 posts) -

My personal favorite is the original Sega Genesis "crossiant" shaped controller. Just for the nostaligia factor. The 6 button is better, or even the Genesis Arcade stick.

#30 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"]Dreamcast. It was unique.GulliversTravel
It was also terrible for actually playing games. Oh well not as bad the N64s at least.

Dreamcast controller worked great for me.
#31 Posted by godzillavskong (7899 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJSEXAY"]Dreamcast. It was unique.GulliversTravel

Are u thumbless? Just trying to figure out what made the Dreamcast controller " terrible " at playing games?