This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by yomanjdf (1166 posts) -

ff7, sf 2

#2 Posted by Kcube (25389 posts) -
I'll say Ultima quest of the avatar - NES EVery Dragon Warrior - NES
#3 Posted by leapMC (317 posts) -

FFVIII

#4 Posted by benleslie5 (7723 posts) -

Persona 4 (PS2)

#5 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -
Shadow Hearts 2 is a cut above the next level of greatness IMO (which includes many, many games). ...though I will say that Shadow Hearts 1 is a must play for it to have the same meaning/effect (and really, it is one big story)
#6 Posted by logicalfrank (1641 posts) -

Lunar: The Silver Star for SCD is my favorite for nostalgic reasons and also because it's great. I'd be hard pressed to say what really the best though.

#7 Posted by CDuG (1946 posts) -

FFVIII

#8 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -
The original Deus Ex.
#9 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

My opinion for this system here

and my opinion for this system there

(ducks for cover)

#10 Posted by ristactionjakso (5664 posts) -

Dragon Quest Journey of the Cursed King, Rogue Galaxy, Chrono Trigger, Breath of Fire 4......they are all number one in my book.

To bad modern developers don't know how to make a decent rpg.

#11 Posted by Jessey-Stone (341 posts) -

lunar 1 and 2

and the greatest in the history of all rpgs is LEGEND OF DRAGOON

#12 Posted by strategik_basic (364 posts) -

Final Fantasy Tactics

#13 Posted by 3KindgomsRandy (15488 posts) -

Shadow Hearts 2 is a cut above the next level of greatness IMO (which includes many, many games). ...though I will say that Shadow Hearts 1 is a must play for it to have the same meaning/effect (and really, it is one big story)rawsavon

That's a solid choice.

I'd personally pick Planescape Torment or Baldur's Gate 2.

On consoles, I really loved SMT: Nocturne, Phantasy Star IV, Shadow Hearts 1/2, and Suikoden 1-3.

If you held a gun to my head and made me pick one, I'd say Suikoden 3, though it hasn't aged particularly well.

#14 Posted by cprmauldin (1567 posts) -

It's a tie between ESIII: Morrowind and ESIV: Oblivion.

Honorable mentions:

FO3

FO NV

FF TACTICS ADVANCE

Dragon Age: Origins

Pokemon Sapphire

Dragon Quest VIII

#15 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Shadow Hearts 2 is a cut above the next level of greatness IMO (which includes many, many games). ...though I will say that Shadow Hearts 1 is a must play for it to have the same meaning/effect (and really, it is one big story)3KindgomsRandy

That's a solid choice.

On consoles, I really loved SMT: Nocturne, Phantasy Star IV, Shadow Hearts 1/2, and Suikoden 1-3.

If you held a gun to my head and made me pick one, I'd say Suikoden 3, though it hasn't aged particularly well.

I thoroughly enjoyed Suikoden 1-3, and 5 ...in my top series ever Suikoden 1 is not the best in the series, but it had the biggest impact (no expectations before playing it). I think I had the most fun with Suikoden 2 though
#16 Posted by Arach666 (23018 posts) -
Hard to say,but it would probably be between Fallout(1&2),Ultima VII and Planescape Torment for me. On consoles probably Phantasy Star 4.
#17 Posted by 3KindgomsRandy (15488 posts) -

I thoroughly enjoyed Suikoden 1-3, and 5 ...in my top series ever Suikoden 1 is not the best in the series, but it had the biggest impact (no expectations before playing it). I think I had the most fun with Suikoden 2 thoughrawsavon

1 was not a great game, but it will always hold a special, nostalgic spot in my gaming heart. For a long time, I felt like 2 was the best in the series and I still think it's a legitimate choice as such. It took a second playthrough of 3 for it to dethrone 2 for me, I just ended up loving (almost) everything about it.

5 was a step back in the right direction, but the opening was far too lengthy for my taste. I really enjoyed it on a single playthrough though.

Hard to say,but it would probably be between Fallout(1&2),Ultima VII and Planescape Torment for me. On consoles probably Phantasy Star 4.Arach666

All salty competitiors. Good picks!

#18 Posted by Ragnarok1051 (19858 posts) -

Final Fantasy 9. The world and the characters are the best of any game imo.

#19 Posted by Blueresident87 (5307 posts) -

Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI(Final Fantasy III)

#20 Posted by roboccs (6891 posts) -
Mine are Final Fantasy VII and the original Tales of Symphonia. Those are my favorite 2 game soundtracks too!
#21 Posted by Archendrus (306 posts) -

Do I get to be the first to mention Xenogears?! Now, honestly I could never ever choose a 'best rpg ever'. There's just been to many awesome ones, over too many years, to pick just one.....but I freakin' love giant robots =D lol

#22 Posted by riou7 (10832 posts) -

[QUOTE="3KindgomsRandy"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Shadow Hearts 2 is a cut above the next level of greatness IMO (which includes many, many games). ...though I will say that Shadow Hearts 1 is a must play for it to have the same meaning/effect (and really, it is one big story)rawsavon

That's a solid choice.

I thoroughly enjoyed Suikoden 1-3, and 5 ...in my top series ever Suikoden 1 is not the best in the series, but it had the biggest impact (no expectations before playing it). I think I had the most fun with Suikoden 2 though

You have a good taste.. :P Personally, I loved Suikoden III the most

#23 Posted by cronomagus36 (12663 posts) -

It's kind of a tie between EarthBound and Chrono Trigger for me. Final Fantasy X is also pretty high up there.

#24 Posted by djsundowner (995 posts) -

console: Phantasy Star IV

pc: Baldur's Gate II

recent: Mass Effect

#25 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

Pokemon (series) followed by Final Fantasy IX.

#26 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -
I see a lot of phantasy star 4 answerers being given. TBH, I have not played it. Is it that great? Also, do I need to play the previous 3 (I have parts 2-4 on the sega collection...but not part 1) or are they all self contained games (I looked online and all it said was same universe)?
#27 Posted by djsundowner (995 posts) -

I see a lot of phantasy star 4 answerers being given. TBH, I have not played it. Is it that great? Also, do I need to play the previous 3 (I have parts 2-4 on the sega collection...but not part 1) or are they all self contained games (I looked online and all it said was same universe)?rawsavon

I played IV before I played any of the others and I had no problems following along. There were a few references I missed, but nothing major. And since I'm one of the ones that put it as my favorite, yeah, it's that great!

Oh, and if you have Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection, the first one is on there, you just have to unlock it.

#28 Posted by x-2tha-z (8896 posts) -
Knights of the Old Republic.
#29 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

Hands down Final Fantasy VII; the game was an absolute master piece in every way and it a treat to play through every time. While I have played some pretty amazing RPGs since then, most noteworthy FFVIII, Oblvion, and Mass Effect, none hold a candle to how special of a game FFVII is to me.

#30 Posted by Seabas989 (10026 posts) -

Final Fantasy IX for me. Pretty much loved everything about it.

#31 Posted by wiifan001 (18340 posts) -
Chrono Trigger!
#32 Posted by rawsavon (40002 posts) -

and if you have Sonic's Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection, the first one is on there, you just have to unlock it.

djsundowner

Oh, thanks man. Much appreciated

#33 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Symphonia or Pesona 4.

#34 Posted by fadersdream (3153 posts) -

Lunar: Silver Star Story

Chrono trigger

Ogre Battle 64

#35 Posted by dbz987 (3716 posts) -

FFX

#36 Posted by angryfodder (20490 posts) -
I was going to say Golden Sun, then I was going to say Oblivion, then I was going to say Fallout 3, then I saw KOTOR mentioned. Now I'm just really confused. Fallout 3 is probably the one that I like the most.
#37 Posted by AjarnLenny (260 posts) -

It's difficult to name one best rpg so I'll give a few:

I liked the Interplay games alot : Bard's tale, wasteland(c64 versions) Fallout etc

On consoles : FFVII, Phantasy Star and LOTR; the third age (XBOX version), Baldur's gate Dark Alliance(Also Xbox version).

#38 Posted by D3dr0_0 (3495 posts) -

FFVIII

#39 Posted by Shidira (941 posts) -

Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI(Final Fantasy III)

Blueresident87

Great choices. Final Fantasy VI is my favorite, but there are other great ones like Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy Tactics, Pokemon series, and the Ogre Battle/Tactics series.

#40 Posted by Am_Confucius (3376 posts) -

Dragon Age II

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

#41 Posted by Heirren (16195 posts) -

EARTHBOUND and Mario RPG are two of my favorites. I also think the original Diablo needs a nod. Threads like this remind me how great the snes was.

...can't forget to mention Landstalker!

#42 Posted by tmus5 (65 posts) -

I would have to go for

Secret of Mana - SNES

absolutely fantastic game, gets overlooked alot, has 3 player co-op on SNES!! i play it nearly every year with my friend amazing game and still so much fun