Best PS1 RPGs that aren't Final Fantasy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kcinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kcinz
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts
I already own most of the Final Fantasy games for the PS1, so are there any non-Final Fantasy RPGs that I should look into buying?
Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Chrono Cross, Grandia, Wild Arms, Suikoden, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears. Some of the best RPGs I have ever played.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#3 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Persona 2 Innocent Sin Persona 2 Eternal Punisment Vagrant Story Valkyrie Profile Thousand Arms Parasite Eve Dragon Quest VII Front Mission 3 Xenogears Chrono Cross Legend of Dragoon Those are the ones I have.
Kcinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kcinz
Member since 2012 • 810 Posts
Suikoden... I read in the Playstation magazine that it's a pretty good game. Is Suikoden II as good as the first one?
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Suikoden... I read in the Playstation magazine that it's a pretty good game. Is Suikoden II as good as the first one?Kcinz

It is, but most people will be hard pressed to get it, at least at a game store or on ebay; it goes for over $100 pretty consistently.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Lunar: Silver Star Story

Lunar 2: Eternal Blue

Valkyrie Profile

Persona 2

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Legend of Dragoon

MuddyMaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MuddyMaestro
Member since 2009 • 10351 Posts

Grandia is certainly my favourite RPG on the original PlayStation, even though it wasn't exclusive to the system.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I'm having a blast with Dragon Warriror VII, though it is a bit on the expensive side.

Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

Suikoden... I read in the Playstation magazine that it's a pretty good game. Is Suikoden II as good as the first one?Kcinz

It takes everything about the first game and makes it better. Many consider it the best of the series, myself included.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="Kcinz"]Suikoden... I read in the Playstation magazine that it's a pretty good game. Is Suikoden II as good as the first one?

It's way better mate Suikoden II made Suikoden I popular....well at least I think that You should try Valkyrie profile, Chrono Cross, Dragon Quest
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Suikoden II isn't worth the price of admission.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#13 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

Grandia , Lunar 1 and 2 , Breath of Fire 4 ,

theres also Vagrant Story and Chrono Cross, but I never managed to get into those.

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are my favorite RPG's on the PS1.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Lunar and Lunar 2 are the ones I'd recommend the most. Arc the Lad Collection, Breath of Fire III-IV, Grandia, and Suikoden I-II(haven't played II myself yet bought it not that long ago, but I hear it's even better than the first one), and Tales of Destiny II(or Eternia depending on where you are) are all great as well.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts
Legend of Dragoon, Lunar Series, Chrono Cross, and Grandia.
Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#17 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts

Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire III, LUNAR 2: Eternal Blue, Saga Frontier and Monster Rancher

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#18 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Vagrant Story

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#19 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Dragon Quest VII gets a lot of flak but I enjoyed it.
kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Lunar 1 & 2

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Vagrant Story, even though it falls into the universe of Ivalice which includes Final Fantasy Tactics and Final Fantasy XII.
Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

good PS1 RPG games

Suikedon 1 and 2

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

Beyond the Beyond

Threads of Fate

Legend of Legaia

Grandia

Thousand Arms

Star Ocean 2nd Story

Elemental Gearbolt - not sure if its RPG technically or just a game where you use the lightgun optionally

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I'm a huge Western-RPG guy, and I've seen absolutley ZERO mentions of Western-RPGs here. You guys realize that RPG doesn't mean just random encounters and turn-based battles, right? Anyways, here's my recommendations:

Brave Fencer Musashi - An excellent action-RPG that mixes the gameplay of The Legend of Zelda and the RPG sensibilities of SquareSoft, with just the right amount of cartoony humor thrown in.

Dark Stone - If you like Diablo, you'll like this game. Nuff said.

Diablo - It's Diablo. If you play RPGs, and you don't know what Diablo is, you need to go play the game, immeadiatly. And if that's not an option, at least look it up on YouTube. This game created an entire sub-genre of RPGs, that many games have since emulated. Games such as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Dungeon Siege, Neverwinter Nights, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and others. In the game, you are a lone adventurer, tasked to stop the Lord of Terror himself, Diablo. You venture further and further underground, until you arrive in Hell itself. Along the way you will grab tons of loot, level-up your character, gain spells and equipment, battle tons of enemies, and fight some pretty interesting bosses. Might be a bit dated by today's standards, but I doubt you care much about that if you're looking for PS1 games.

King's Field 1 & 2 - Any chance I can get, I praise this truly unique RPG series. It is far too unique, and far too well made of games to just be forgotten. At the same time, it's one of those games you either absolutely adore, or grudgingly despise; there is no middle-ground when it comes to King's Field. It's an action-RPG played from the first-person perspective, in a fully 3-D, open-world environment. The game has a high-emphasis on exploration, and doesn't explain a dang thing to you or help you out and has a high learning-curve. This is a big reason why many people dislike it, for me it's exactly why I like it.

Legend of Legaia - So this one is traditional JRPG in it's gameplay and sensibilities. Sue me, I can like a few JRPGs in addition to my love for Western-RPGS. What sets this game apart from other JRPGs, IMO, is the battle-system. There is this command line (which will get longer as you level-up) where you can place different combinations of buttons. If you do the right combinations, you will be able to unlock special moves and magical attack. You also earn some along the way, or will find people and/or scrolls that tell some of them, so it's not completely guesswork. But this make the random-encounters seem a lot less tedious, because you are CONSTANTLY experimenting with the system in hopes of unlocking a new move.

Parasite Eve - Great mixute of RPG and survival-horror. The story in this game is the main-draw, and it's a doozy of one. I can't explain it all here. But basically you're a cop, investigating a bizarre series events at an opera house where people suddenly burst into flames, and animals morph into monstrous creatures. The gameplay is pretty unique, as it combines random encounters with real-time battle one the random enounter begins. And the graphics are stunning for the PS1.

Avatar image for slamminjammin69
slamminjammin69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 slamminjammin69
Member since 2006 • 1599 Posts

Uh excuse moi. I did mention Legend of Legaia along with Parasite Eve.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#25 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
He said nobody had mentioned WRPG's, which he then mentioned Kings Field, Dark Stone and Diablo
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
The FF's are not even close to the best the PS1 has to offer IMO -Lunar 1 and 2, especially part 2 (Eternal Blue); it is one of my top games ever -Grandia...starts slow (first couple hours suck), but it turns out to be one of the best on the system -Arc the Lad collection...first game is more like a short prologue though (just a warning), but the whole collection is great -Suikoden 1 and 2...the best the system has to offer IMO -Chrono Cross -Legend of Dragoon...out 'fantasies' final fantasy IMO (except for FF9 which I think is great) -Tales of Eternia...one of the very best 'Tales' games (which is saying something) -Star Ocean: Second Story...great game and cast with lots of replayability (2 lead characters with multiple different people to recruit, can't recruit them all in one game) Games other people love: Dragon Warrior (found it to be boring as hell) Xenogears (most overrated game ever IMO...especially the terrible second half)
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"] -Lunar 1 and 2, especially part 2 (Eternal Blue); it is one of my top games ever

Agreed there, I liked Eternal Blue better as well though Silver Star is great as well. I can't recommend it enough.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#28 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

You should definetely pick up Suikoden I and II..

SeventhEntity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SeventhEntity
Member since 2011 • 378 Posts
Tactics Ogre is really good
pspman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 pspman1997
Member since 2011 • 77 Posts

chrono cross and dragon quest 6

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

hakanakumono
I and, likely, almost everyone else here would disagree.
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Legolas_Katarn

That's fine. It's a mediocre RPG with a weak story. If you want to spend $100 on that, by all means.

anbu-black-ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 anbu-black-ops
Member since 2008 • 2380 Posts
My top 4 are: Grandia Lunar Xenogears Vagrant Story Highly recommended: Chrono Cross Tales of Eternia Alundra Lunar 2 Legend of Dragoon Parasite Eve 1 and 2 Front Mission 3 Arc the Lad collection Breath of Fire 3 and 4 Suikoden 1 and 2 FF tactics Tail Conerto Brave Fencer Musashi Castlevania SotN Threads of Fate Tales of Destiny Wild arms 1 and 2 Dragon Warrior 7 Star Ocean Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 Vanguard Bandits Sayuki: Journey West Jade Cocoon Thousand Arms Tactics Ogre Grandstream Saga Mega Man Legends 1 and 2
Avatar image for JoeInWonderland
JoeInWonderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JoeInWonderland
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts
My favorite RPG for the PS1 was Threads of Fate. Solid gameplay for the most part, amusing story line and fun boss battles. And I think I liked it a lot because it wasn't insanely difficult either, especially for people who are used to RPG's, and yet still fun to play through both characters' story lines.
Avatar image for dr-professional
dr-professional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35 dr-professional
Member since 2011 • 497 Posts
I already own most of the Final Fantasy games for the PS1, so are there any non-Final Fantasy RPGs that I should look into buying?Kcinz
BO3 all other games. no..... Well maybe dragon quest. The above 2 are assuming you don;t like terrible filler to the plost and terrible implemention of certain things in the games.
FPSDad1161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FPSDad1161
Member since 2011 • 814 Posts
Xenogears, Chrono Trigger (comes in the Final Fantasy Chronicles package, but is not a FF game), Legend of Dragoon, Suikoden, Persona 1 & 2, Vagrant Story, Parasite Eve, Dragon Warrior VII, Wild Arms. Those are the ones off the top of my head.
armouredpriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 armouredpriest
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

That's fine. It's a mediocre RPG with a weak story. If you want to spend $100 on that, by all means.

I'm curious...what would you have considered a strong RPG story from that era for comparison's sake, hakana?

For the record, I disagree with you, but you're not the only person that I'm aware of that didn't care for Suikoden 2 specifically, or the Suikoden series in general. Just curious why you think what you think, and what your point of comparison is. Also, if you just think that $100 is too much for any game, that would be fair enough (assuming you're in the US).