Best Jrpg on the first Playstation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dj-Dampleaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Dj-Dampleaf
Member since 2012 • 730 Posts
These are some off the most popular Jrpgs in their respective series. Your choices Breath of Fire 3: Introduced a complex Dragon system a deep and religious themed story with lost technology that many people have forgotten. Also with some humorous moments, no load screens between battles, and a larger variety of characters that are designed so you can have a team relating to your play style at the start of the game through out once all party members are gathered. 2.5D with great music and art design. Final Fantasy 7: while nothing spectacular for its time, it had CGI animations and was a high budget title with to some people, a great and deep plot, with materia and the death of aeris. A lot of people get emotional reactions to this game, and for better or worse, got the gate open for a lot of newer Jrpgs developers to enter the market, some of these are pretty bad. Typical Final Fantasy gameplay with 3D type gameplay and CGI scenes done pretty good. Suikoden II is the sequel to one of the first Jrpgs on the playstation, which had a nice plot and a deeper gameplay experience than other Rpgs outside of PC due to using the CD hardware. 2 Improved much from the first game with fluid animations and art style. Many people consider this the best in the Suikoden series, and its time, it's fast paced gameplay and large army like battle system with having 6 characters fight flawlessly with no slowdown or chocking was first class. Dragon Warrior 7 is the 7th installment of the Dragon Warrior Franchise which fights 8 and 4 for the best in the series. The 7th installment is a upbeat not too serious game, which opens up a lot of fun features and likable characters. The standard FP battle system is back of course, and the worlds are imaginative and colorful like a story book. Not the most complex game of all but it is full of content. There is also a OTHER option. Just name your game that you think is best on the Playstation and it will get counted? Other popular games you may or may not vote for, remember it's your choice: Final Fantasy 8 Final Fantasy 9 Beyond the Beyond Legend of Legaia Grandia Tales of Eternity Saga Frontier Legend of Dragoon vote for your choice!!!!!!!!! ?...!!!!!
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue is my favorite RPG on the PS1.

Final Fantasy IX and Suikoden s come close though, as well as the first Lunar.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Well FFIX is my favorite game of all time outside of the Pokemon franchise, so my vote would definitely go to that.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

It's actually Tales of Eternia, and yeah, that's a good one.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts
Persona 2 as far as I´m concerned.
Melkari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Melkari
Member since 2004 • 595 Posts

Xenogears. In all its incomplete, flawed glory.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#7 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Persona 2 as far as I´m concerned.Nanomage
^this
Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Suikoden 2, FFVII, Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross.

Would b the top of my list, probably enjoyed FFVII the most out of them all.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
You Guys are too young back then... where's LEGEND OF LEGAIA?
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
You Guys are too young back then... where's LEGEND OF LEGAIA?hippiesanta
It's mentioned in the OP actually. I enjoyed that game it's just not one of my favorites.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]You Guys are too young back then... where's LEGEND OF LEGAIA?Eikichi-Onizuka
It's mentioned in the OP actually. I enjoyed that game it's just not one of my favorites.

something wrong wt me eyes.... too much gaming
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Chrono Chross for me. Many love it. Some hate it (compared to Chrono Trigger).

For me it is one of my fav games of all time.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

Can you guess what I may say for my answer? Yes, it is Breath of Fire III, although Final Fantasy IX is close.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WitIsWisdom

PetJel

Chrono Cross is superior to Chrono Trigger in EVERY possible way other then fun little mini games. Then again, other then that there was nothing noteworthy in Chrono Trigger anyways.... I have always said that Chrono Trigger is only so popular because of its over simplicity. It introduced a TON of players to RPG's so not only was it their first, but probably also the easiest. Easy + nostalgia = people giving the game WAY to much praise. But hell, that's just my opinion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#16 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

WitIsWisdom

Chrono Cross is superior to Chrono Trigger in EVERY possible way other then fun little mini games. Then again, other then that there was nothing noteworthy in Chrono Trigger anyways.... I have always said that Chrono Trigger is only so popular because of its over simplicity. It introduced a TON of players to RPG's so not only was it their first, but probably also the easiest. Easy + nostalgia = people giving the game WAY to much praise. But hell, that's just my opinion.

I'm playing Chrono Cross right now and it seems a bit easier than Chrono Trigger TBH.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="Nanomage"]Persona 2 as far as I´m concerned.Dudersaper
^this

Same here,by far.
Bubble_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Bubble_Man
Member since 2006 • 3100 Posts

FFVII, though Suikoden 2 would've been my 2nd choice. Lunar SSS and EB are also pretty high up on my list.

BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts

I loved Final Fantasy VII.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

GreySeal9

I'm playing Chrono Cross right now and it seems a bit easier than Chrono Trigger TBH.

Just give it some time... The difficulty ramps up over a long period of time. Over a time that is longer then the entire first game... lol Chrono Cross is HUGE compared to Chrono Trigger. easily having 60 plus hours of gameplay for a true completionist. While Chrono Trigger is about one third of that size. I'm not saying the CT is not a good game, because it is.... however it is one of the most over hyped games of all time.... of course, Chrono Cross's score being so high is very over rated as well.. lol

They are both still great games, but Chrono Trigger is over hyped, and Chrono Cross is over rated.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

WitIsWisdom

Just give it some time... The difficulty ramps up over a long period of time. Over a time that is longer then the entire first game... lol Chrono Cross is HUGE compared to Chrono Trigger. easily having 60 plus hours of gameplay for a true completionist. While Chrono Trigger is about one third of that size. I'm not saying the CT is not a good game, because it is.... however it is one of the most over hyped games of all time.... of course, Chrono Cross's score being so high is very over rated as well.. lol

They are both still great games, but Chrono Trigger is over hyped, and Chrono Cross is over rated.

The game is starting to get somewhat more difficult (I just beat the boss fights in Mt. Pyre and am headed to Fort Dragonia), but it still feels pretty close to Chrono Trigger as far as difficulty is concerned.

I think I still prefer Chrono Trigger at the moment just because I think the battle system is funner (I'm a HUGE Chrono Trigger fan, but don't feel that your comments made me mad :P), but Chrono Cross definitely destroys it aesthetically, which is saying something as Chrono Trigger had excellent art design.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 WitIsWisdom

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

The game is starting to get somewhat more difficult (I just beat the boss fights in Mt. Pyre and am headed to For Dragonia), but it still feels pretty close to Chrono Trigger as far as difficulty is concerned.

I think I still prefer Chrono Trigger at the moment just because I think the battle system is funner (I'm a HUGE Chrono Trigger fan, but don't feel that your comments made me mad :P), but Chrono Cross definitely destroys it aesthetically, which is saying something as Chrono Trigger had excellent art design.

I'm glad you didnt talke what I said as an insult. It shows you know the difference between fact and opinion unlike a lot of others around these neck of the woods... lol

I guess that Chrono Cross may not be a WHOLE lot harder then Chrono Trigger beside these four points.

1. The game is much longer and not nearly as linear.

2. The puzzles are harder and often times unclear.

3. Later in the game you must have the right abilities equipped of you have basically no chance at all to beat certain bosses or even get to them unless you are mega leveled up.

4. Learning the battle system and using in efficiently is a petty steep learning curve.

It sounds like you are starting to get into the mmore difficult parts of the game. You have almost made it as far or further time wise as Chrono Trigger has total. Like I said before, both great games, both over rated. I am not a person to bash a game that is good with hate for no reason, however, even though Chrono Cross is a great game there is no way it should have recieved scores as high as a perfect 10/10... It wasnt THAT much better then Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger getting an 8 and Chrono Cross getting an 8.5 would be a better score in my opinion. ALthough some would just say "NO THEY ARE BOTH 10's" .... lol

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

Easy choice. Jade Cocoon: Story of the Tamamayu. One of my favorite PS1 games.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

WitIsWisdom

The game is starting to get somewhat more difficult (I just beat the boss fights in Mt. Pyre and am headed to For Dragonia), but it still feels pretty close to Chrono Trigger as far as difficulty is concerned.

I'm glad you didnt talke what I said as an insult. It shows you know the difference between fact and opinion unlike a lot of others around these neck of the woods... lol

I guess that Chrono Cross may not be a WHOLE lot harder then Chrono Trigger beside these four points.

1. The game is much longer and not nearly as linear.

2. The puzzles are harder and often times unclear.

3. Later in the game you must have the right abilities equipped of you have basically no chance at all to beat certain bosses or even get to them unless you are mega leveled up.

4. Learning the battle system and using in efficiently is a petty steep learning curve.

It sounds like you are starting to get into the mmore difficult parts of the game. You have almost made it as far or further time wise as Chrono Trigger has total. Like I said before, both great games, both over rated. I am not a person to bash a game that is good with hate for no reason, however, even though Chrono Cross is a great game there is no way it should have recieved scores as high as a perfect 10/10... It wasnt THAT much better then Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger getting an 8 and Chrono Cross getting an 8.5 would be a better score in my opinion. ALthough some would just say "NO THEY ARE BOTH 10's" .... lol

I do agree that the battle system does have a much steeper learning curve than Chrono Trigger's (Chrono Trigger has a really simple battle system), so in that way, it probably is harder. I got the hang of the battle system pretty quickly tho.

At first I found the battle system a little strange but I really love it now. Elements are a great way of customizing characters and I like the leveling system alot. It gets rid of any need to grind up new characters that you get or keep your characters evenly leveled.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Couldn't decide between FFVII/VIII, Chrono Cross, Grandia and Xenogears.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I'm going to have to go with good Ol' Dragon Warrior 7 on this one.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Other option.

Final Fantasy IX. My favorite final fantasy game as well as my most replayed RPG on the PS1.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WitIsWisdom

Other option.

Final Fantasy IX. My favorite final fantasy game as well as my most replayed RPG on the PS1.

MLBknights58

Good choice. My runner up.. lol

TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

No Vagrant Story love? :(

My vote would go to that. Xenogears and FFIX are very close behind it though for me.

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

When I see Suikoden 2, I just don't care about the others

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

This might sound cliche, but... Final Fantasy VII.

As for my runner-up choice... Alundra.

EDIT:

I don't see the point of the "JRPG" in the title... because I certainly don't remember any great WRPGs on the PS1.

dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#32 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Xenogears

with Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII and VIII close behind

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

Xenogears

with Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy VII and VIII close behind

dbz987

No P2 though? I mean,with a Maya avy and all...

:P

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#34 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9174 Posts

Mine is Final Fantasy IX