best FPS before the arrival of Halo CE?

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SonOfChewbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 SonOfChewbacca
Member since 2004 • 653 Posts

[QUOTE="SonOfChewbacca"]

[QUOTE="WhySoLimp"]

"good vehicle usage"

Tribes 2

"shield regeneration"

I don't think this was seen before Halo, but I don't think that's a bad thing :p

"melee combat"

Not sure what you mean, but nearly every FPS has melee attacks.

"two weapons system"

Rise of the Triad, but it limited you to 4 weapons: 3 that shoot bullets and either 1 magic or 1 missile weapon.

nameless12345

Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, Ghost Recon, and Counter-Strike limit you to one primary and one secondary firearm.

First three are tactical shooters, not your typical FPS.

True, and if you ran out of ammo in those games you were pretty much screwed because you couldn't pick up dead enemies' weapons. Then again, you could just switch to another teammate on the fly lol.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#152 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

That honor lies with either DOOM or Goldeneye.

Maybe Half-Life.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

And they will still be better when Halo remix arrives too. Because boys and girls, Halo 1 is the most overrated underperforming FPS in the history of games. Duke Nukem Forever delivered more to match the hype than Halo did.

You guessed correctly, i'm not a fan. :D

And don't even get me started on the horrifc mess that was Halo 2. ;)

Blueresident87

It's easy to say this, but it's mostly a hollow statement.

Love or hate it, it changed the course of video games, not just FPS games, forever.

I agree with that statement, it changed video games, but not for the better, and I do hope that it's effects are not ever lasting. Halo is for noobs IMO. There are alot of FPS's that are lightyears better.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

It's funny how it seems that people think that fps's sucked before Halo and that it was delivered on high from the gods of gaming and delivered us from mediocrity or something. Halo was an alright game but it really shouldn't be considered the epitome of the genre. There are much better fps's that came before and after it. Anyway in answer to the original question I'd say Half Life.

VALikimlav
Shooters didn't necessarily suck before Halo, but Halo refined the genre and brought it on consoles. I like Half-Life, but health regeneration needed to come to the genre. Halo popularized it and it's in pretty much every shooter. I don't know how anyone can possibly want to go back to the Half-Life method of destroying every crate to find health or quicksaving and reloading when a firefight didn't work out as planned. Somehow there are still people that think this way is more hardcore. I think the AI was better than anything else out at the time, with a universe that you cared about. And it showed that console FPS could work, evidenced by the way the control scheme is copied in every game nowadays. There aren't many FPSs that you can say are better than Halo (with the exception of maybe Half-Life 2).

Why did health regen need to come to FPS's? It just makes the game way too easy. Like say you just got a shotgun blast to your head, but you still have a sliver of heath left, all you have to do is take cover for a few seconds, and your perfectly fine again. Its just dumb. I'd rather reload the game and have to think of another strategy, rather then just have guns blazing, then take cover, and repeat.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

And they will still be better when Halo remix arrives too. Because boys and girls, Halo 1 is the most overrated underperforming FPS in the history of games. Duke Nukem Forever delivered more to match the hype than Halo did.

You guessed correctly, i'm not a fan. :D

And don't even get me started on the horrifc mess that was Halo 2. ;)

AlexKidd5000

Love or hate it, it changed the course of video games, not just FPS games, forever.

I agree with that statement, it changed video games, but not for the better, and I do hope that it's effects are not ever lasting. Halo is for noobs IMO. There are alot of FPS's that are lightyears better.

then I must be an ultra-noob because i have always sucked at it's multiplayer

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 AlexKidd5000

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

rilpas

then I must be an ultra-noob because i have always sucked at it's multiplayer

I think anyone would suck at any competitive multiplayer game. I'm more into co-op mulitiplayer. I hate the competitive kind.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#157 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

I had a lot of fun playing Perfect Dark on XBLA, I loved the controls and finished the game on perfect without auto-aim. I wish Goldeneye was on XBLA.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

Why did health regen need to come to FPS's? It just makes the game way too easy. Like say you just got a shotgun blast to your head, but you still have a sliver of heath left, all you have to do is take cover for a few seconds, and your perfectly fine again. Its just dumb. I'd rather reload the game and have to think of another strategy, rather then just have guns blazing, then take cover, and repeat.AlexKidd5000

I really agree with this... Regen Shields is fine for scifi stuff like "HALO", but can you imagine "The Operative" with it? "Deus Ex"? Those games developed tension because you only had so much in the way of health packs. I don't mind regen in "HALO", but it didn't need to be an industry-wide thing reaching into all genre of FPS. I think it has made us a softer bunch of gamers, ultimately. I can whomp the piss out of games on the hardest difficulty now because I don't die. That's a rather key element in FPS to feeling a challenge.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"]Why did health regen need to come to FPS's? It just makes the game way too easy. Like say you just got a shotgun blast to your head, but you still have a sliver of heath left, all you have to do is take cover for a few seconds, and your perfectly fine again. Its just dumb. I'd rather reload the game and have to think of another strategy, rather then just have guns blazing, then take cover, and repeat.MonkeySpot

I really agree with this... Regen Shields is fine for scifi stuff like "HALO", but can you imagine "The Operative" with it? "Deus Ex"? Those games developed tension because you only had so much in the way of health packs. I don't mind regen in "HALO", but it didn't need to be an industry-wide thing reaching into all genre of FPS. I think it has made us a softer bunch of gamers, ultimately. I can whomp the piss out of games on the hardest difficulty now because I don't die. That's a rather key element in FPS to feeling a challenge.

technically there was health regen in Deus Ex, remember the power up? :P

moroever, even if there wasn't, there's so many health packs, beers, wine and food spread around Deus Ex that there's really no need for it in the first place

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#160 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
I'm more into co-op mulitiplayer. I hate the competitive kind.AlexKidd5000
So am I, and Halo has great co-op. I never actually played the game singleplayer, played through the whole campaign co-op, and it was hella fun. Sure there are better FPS games out there, but that doesn't make Halo for "noobs". It's a solid game. IMO it's not as great as some people make it seem, and it's not as bad as people on the other end make it seem, it's simply a solid FPS.
AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 AlexKidd5000
[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I'm more into co-op mulitiplayer. I hate the competitive kind.Dudersaper
So am I, and Halo has great co-op. I never actually played the game singleplayer, played through the whole campaign co-op, and it was hella fun. Sure there are better FPS games out there, but that doesn't make Halo for "noobs". It's a solid game. IMO it's not as great as some people make it seem, and it's not as bad as people on the other end make it seem, it's simply a solid FPS.

Yup, co-op is simply awesome. I especially like playing Serious Sam co-op, thats really the only way to play it. Maybe "noobs" was a bit unfair, but I just never liked the health regen aspect that takes alot out of the experience. videos I've seen of youngsters playing Halo (and other games too) online and acting all tough, and swearing at the other players makes me facepalm, thats what made me say noobs.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#162 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I'm more into co-op mulitiplayer. I hate the competitive kind.Dudersaper

I think the story is what really sets the game apart from other FPS, IMO. It's a solid sci-fi story that really kept me addicted to the campaign the first play-through.

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
I liked Quake 2 personally...
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#164 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"][QUOTE="AlexKidd5000"] I'm more into co-op mulitiplayer. I hate the competitive kind.Emerald_Warrior

I think the story is what really sets the game apart from other FPS, IMO. It's a solid sci-fi story that really kept me addicted to the campaign the first play-through.

Oh when I said "I never played the game singleplayer" I didn't mean the game wasn't worth it other than co-op, I played it co-op but both me and my friend were always very interested in the story.
yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#165 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
half-life/cs.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]So am I, and Halo has great co-op. I never actually played the game singleplayer, played through the whole campaign co-op, and it was hella fun. Sure there are better FPS games out there, but that doesn't make Halo for "noobs". It's a solid game. IMO it's not as great as some people make it seem, and it's not as bad as people on the other end make it seem, it's simply a solid FPS.Dudersaper

Oh when I said "I never played the game singleplayer" I didn't mean the game wasn't worth it other than co-op, I played it co-op but both me and my friend were always very interested in the story.

The original also left a lot to the players imagination. There was that uninterrupted mystery surrounding Halo. The way CE told its story was a very good way to do so in a Videogame.