best FPS before the arrival of Halo CE?

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

luckykoopsie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 luckykoopsie
Member since 2012 • 345 Posts

i say......Golden eye. what say you?

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#2 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I would go with Perfect Dark, but games like Mist and 9 are good FPS games that predate Halo.

Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

As far as console FPS's go, I'd like to nominate "Medal of Honor" and "Medal of Honor : Underground" on the PSone. Loved those games!

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

And they will still be better when Halo remix arrives too. Because boys and girls, Halo 1 is the most overrated underperforming FPS in the history of games. Duke Nukem Forever delivered more to match the hype than Halo did.

You guessed correctly, i'm not a fan. :D

And don't even get me started on the horrifc mess that was Halo 2. ;)

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Blueresident87

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

And they will still be better when Halo remix arrives too. Because boys and girls, Halo 1 is the most overrated underperforming FPS in the history of games. Duke Nukem Forever delivered more to match the hype than Halo did.

BarbaricAvatar

It's easy to say this, but it's mostly a hollow statement.

Love or hate it, it changed the course of video games, not just FPS games, forever.

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 thecrypticodor
Member since 2012 • 240 Posts

It's funny how it seems that people think that fps's sucked before Halo and that it was delivered on high from the gods of gaming and delivered us from mediocrity or something. Halo was an alright game but it really shouldn't be considered the epitome of the genre. There are much better fps's that came before and after it. Anyway in answer to the original question I'd say Half Life.

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

It's funny how it seems that people think that fps's sucked before Halo and that it was delivered on high from the gods of gaming and delivered us from mediocrity or something. Halo was an alright game but it really shouldn't be considered the epitome of the genre. There are much better fps's that came before and after it. Anyway in answer to the original question I'd say Half Life.

thecrypticodor
Shooters didn't necessarily suck before Halo, but Halo refined the genre and brought it on consoles. I like Half-Life, but health regeneration needed to come to the genre. Halo popularized it and it's in pretty much every shooter. I don't know how anyone can possibly want to go back to the Half-Life method of destroying every crate to find health or quicksaving and reloading when a firefight didn't work out as planned. Somehow there are still people that think this way is more hardcore. I think the AI was better than anything else out at the time, with a universe that you cared about. And it showed that console FPS could work, evidenced by the way the control scheme is copied in every game nowadays. There aren't many FPSs that you can say are better than Halo (with the exception of maybe Half-Life 2).
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Consoles: Perfect Dark, GoldenEye

PC: No One Lives Forever, Half-Life, Operation Flashpoint (if you want to count that for FPS; it's more a tactical shooter/mil sim than FPS)

Overrated crappy FPS with some good ideas: Red Faction

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 thecrypticodor

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

VALikimlav

Shooters didn't necessarily suck before Halo, but Halo refined the genre and brought it on consoles. I like Half-Life, but health regeneration needed to come to the genre. Halo popularized it and it's in pretty much every shooter. I don't know how anyone can possibly want to go back to the Half-Life method of destroying every crate to find health or quicksaving and reloading when a firefight didn't work out as planned. Somehow there are still people that think this way is more hardcore. I think the AI was better than anything else out at the time, with a universe that you cared about. And it showed that console FPS could work, evidenced by the way the control scheme is copied in every game nowadays. There aren't many FPSs that you can say are better than Halo (with the exception of maybe Half-Life 2).

In all honesty I prefer the Medkit style. Being low on health and knowing that it wasn't magically gonna be given back to you almost immediately added suspense and tension. Regenerating health removes any real consequence for not playing well.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

BarbaricAvatar

take it to system wars

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#11 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

First person games have been awesome since the days of Wolfenstein 3D. I am not even gonna try to list the great PC FPS games before Halo.

GoldenEye ruled as far as consoles go though and is really the first one worth a hoot or a holler. I still haven't really played my copy of Perfect Dark yet though but I'd imagine that would be up there too.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Blueresident87

First person games have been awesome since the days of Wolfenstein 3D. I am not even gonna try to list the great PC FPS games before Halo.

GoldenEye ruled as far as consoles go though and is really the first one worth a hoot or a holler. I still haven't really played my copy of Perfect Dark yet though but I'd imagine that would be up there too.

logicalfrank

Goldeneye is a good game, but it really only set the groundwork for the superior Perfect Dark.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Blueresident87

Goldeneye is a good game, but it really only set the groundwork for the superior Perfect Dark.

I disagree. Goldeneye is great, beginning to end, in every sense. Perfect Dark has some dull moments, and some areas where the hardware limitations greatly affect gameplay.
tab134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 tab134
Member since 2011 • 346 Posts

it saddens me i have to be the first to say this. counter-strike.

edit: as for consoles only, goldeneye was the best followed closely by perfect dark. theres a number of pc ports but they were always better on pc.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

rilpas

take it to system wars

Take what to system wars? Having an opinion?

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

everyone knows golden eye x is the way to go.:cool:

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Unreal 1, and Thief 2.

BarbaricAvatar

take it to system wars

the attitude, take it to system wars

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 conkertheking1

if you dont like halo as a fps you must be a phagot

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
CS, Tribes, Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3. UT99
thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thecrypticodor

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

take it to system wars

rilpas

BarbaricAvatar's opinion is valid just because it doesn't fall in line with yours doesn't mean you can just dismiss him like that. Serious discussion of Halo or anything else should be allowed regardless of whether it's negative or not or whether people get b-hurt about it.

Really it's not like the first two Halo's are even exclusive they were also on the PC, that's half of all the major gaming platforms at the time so how it's a system wars thing is beyond me.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

[QUOTE="logicalfrank"]

Heirren

I disagree. Goldeneye is great, beginning to end, in every sense. Perfect Dark has some dull moments, and some areas where the hardware limitations greatly affect gameplay.

Fun fact, they both aged awfully
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

take it to system wars

rilpas

Rilpas, my friend. I will temporarily take your side on this one.(lol:)) He claims he has an opinion, but really doesn't go into what it actually is. Simply saying something is overrated without reason is not an opinion, it's idiotic. Furthermore, saying , "...and don't even get me started on Halo 2" makes no sense in context of what was said earlier, as the prior statements elaborated on nothing.
WhySoLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhySoLimp
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

Doom/Doom 2, Quake/Quake 2, Duke 3D, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life, Jedi Knight... Any of these, really.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

Heirren

Rilpas, my friend. I will temporarily take your side on this one.(lol:)) He claims he has an opinion, but really doesn't go into what it actually is. Simply saying something is overrated without reason is not an opinion, it's idiotic. Furthermore, saying , "...and don't even get me started on Halo 2" makes no sense in context of what was said earlier, as the prior statements elaborated on nothing.

yep, just mindless hate.

if he hates the games, fine, but take the attitude to system wars. I try not to troll people here, seeing as how the legacy board users are actually nice people :P

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="BarbaricAvatar"]

thecrypticodor

BarbaricAvatar's opinion is valid just because it doesn't fall in line with yours doesn't mean you can just dismiss him like that. Serious discussion of Halo or anything else should be allowed regardless of whether it's negative or not or whether people get b-hurt about it.

Really it's not like the first two Halo's are even exclusive they were also on the PC, that's half of all the major gaming platforms at the time so how it's a system wars thing is beyond me.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't see any console bashing or anything happening in his post.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas

thecrypticodor

I wasn't criticizing his opinion, I was criticizing his attitude.

If he's b-hurt over halo, or whathever that's his problem, if he doesn't like the games that's fine, but his post was just mindless bashing that falls more in line with system wars then it does the legacy forums

When he said "Duke Nukem Forever did more to deliver the hype then Halo did", this isn't an opinion as much as it is blatant trolling

thecrypticodor

What's any of that got to do with anything? :?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Emerald_Warrior

^ Yeah, it was senseless bashing...welcome to the internet. But, he's not insulting anyone or bashing consoles (system wars) despite his bad attitude towards the game. That's his opinion to hate the game. Doesn't mean I agree with him (nor do most of the rest of you, I'd wager), but he has his right to his opinion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rilpas

^ Yeah, it was senseless bashing...welcome to the internet. But, he's not insulting anyone or bashing consoles (system wars) despite his bad attitude towards the game. Emerald_Warrior

you make it sound that's all system wars is about :?

system wars is basically where to go when you want to mindlessly bash something.

It's not a case of "welcome to the internet" it's a case of "welcome to gamespot. Did you come here to troll? Then may I direct you system wars"

That's his opinion to hate the game. Doesn't mean I agree with him (nor do most of the rest of you, I'd wager), but he has his right to his opinion.

Emerald_Warrior

I wasn't aware I claimed he didn't have a right to an opinion? :?

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Emerald_Warrior

rilpas

Then what does "Take it to System Wars" imply? Cause to me it says, "Don't post this here, go post it in System Wars."

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 thecrypticodor

If he's b-hurt over halo, or whathever that's his problem, if he doesn't like the games that's fine, but his post was just mindless bashing that falls more in line with system wars then it does the legacy forums

rilpas

Alright maybe he was bashing but who cares would you have cared as much if it were any other game or is it because it Halo? Halo just seems to be that one game that can never be critiqued or evaluated negatively with out people getting all personally offended and defensive.

conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 conkertheking1
[QUOTE="Heirren"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

JigglyWiggly_

Quake doesn't even have location based damage bro. GTFO.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
half life
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Heirren"] I disagree. Goldeneye is great, beginning to end, in every sense. Perfect Dark has some dull moments, and some areas where the hardware limitations greatly affect gameplay.

Why does that even matter? Quake is way faster paced, it doesn't need damage based hitboxes. Your opinion is now irrelevant. Quake live does have cylinder hitboxes for different body parts, but it would change the game style too much.
Stefan91x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stefan91x
Member since 2011 • 225 Posts

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"][QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] Fun fact, they both aged awfullyJigglyWiggly_

Why does that even matter? Quake is way faster paced, it doesn't need damage based hitboxes. Your opinion is now irrelevant. Quake live does have cylinder hitboxes for different body parts, but it would change the game style too much.

Actually you suck in multiplayer games, no wonder why you hate Golden Eye and the N64 in general. You have low skill, that is your problem.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
UNREAL TOURNAMENT! I absolutely love Halo CE, and I'm not ashamed to say I can't wait to get my hands on Halo 4. Talking about overrated series though, I think Half-Life 2 is massively overrated. I actually enjoyed HL1 a lot more, and think Portal 2 is Valve's best game.
angryfodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 angryfodder
Member since 2007 • 20490 Posts
Goldeneye for me
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

VALikimlav

Have you ever played Half Life? You barely need to destroy any crates, there are health and armour chargers placed all over the place. Destroying optional things to find bonus stuff is actually a good thing. Why wouldn't it be? And i don't even comprehend how quicksaving and reloading is bad wen you die. It's easy as hell and much faster than, say, a checkpoint system.

UT '99 GOTY, Quake 3, Unreal:Gold, Half Life 1, Opposing Force, NOLF1 are better than Halo:CE by a landslide. Those are before its release, i can give you a dozen after its release. Though ofcourse it's mearly my humble point of view.

And Half Life 1 has much more interesting environments, a much better AI, much more diversity in its gameplay and a much more diversified aray of weapons. It's simply a better game than Halo could ever be, which is a boring slog through endlessly repeating environments. Nothing to do with being more 'hardcore'. Half Life 1 is simply a more enjoyable experience.

BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BarbaricAvatar

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

^ Yeah, it was senseless bashing...welcome to the internet. But, he's not insulting anyone or bashing consoles (system wars) despite his bad attitude towards the game. rilpas

you make it sound that's all system wars is about :?

system wars is basically where to go when you want to mindlessly bash something.

It's not a case of "welcome to the internet" it's a case of "welcome to gamespot. Did you come here to troll? Then may I direct you system wars"

That's his opinion to hate the game. Doesn't mean I agree with him (nor do most of the rest of you, I'd wager), but he has his right to his opinion.

Emerald_Warrior

Let's not derail this thread with pointless discussion. I dislike Halo 1, my post was valid. The end.

ItsJoeMama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ItsJoeMama
Member since 2012 • 184 Posts

Unreal tournament, Perfect Dark, and GoldenEye.

Unreal tournament may be my favorite out of the three. I love that game.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

thecrypticodor

Alright maybe he was bashing but who cares would you have cared as much if it were any other game or is it because it Halo? Halo just seems to be that one game that can never be critiqued or evaluated negatively with out people getting all personally offended and defensive.

I've already said it before to another user for a completlty unrelated topic and none of you got so rilled up about it

seems to me that the only reason you're defending him, is because you don't like halo

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Emerald_Warrior

Then what does "Take it to System Wars" imply? Cause to me it says, "Don't post this here, go post it in System Wars."

yes, if he's just going to mindless bash something, take it to sytem wars.

By your logic, why don't I create a topic about Soccer? Then when people tell me I should go to the off-topic board I'll just say 'what? I'm not allowed to have an opinion?'

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 thecrypticodor

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

By your logic, why don't I create a topic about Soccer? Then when people tell me I should go to the off-topic board I'll just say 'what? I'm not allowed to have an opinion?'

So your saying that legacy platforms is only meant to be used to praise older games. Critiquing or evaluation isn't allowed.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

thecrypticodor

So your saying that legacy platforms is only meant to be used to praise older games. Critiquing or evaluation isn't allowed.

"Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse"

now show me where he "critiqued" the game

and before you say "it was his opinion", there's a difference between "I hated the game" and "The game was utter sh't, fvucking ET for Atari 2600 is a better purchase"

EDIT: But, I guess I've already highjacked this thread, so whathever

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 thecrypticodor

"Critique is a method of disciplined, systematic analysis of a written or oral discourse"

rilpas

Acording to the first sentance on Wikipedia's definition I guess he didn't. Here's a better one.

critique

1. A critical review or commentary, especially one dealing with works of art or literature.
2. A critical discussion of a specified topic.
3. The art of criticism.

tr.v. cri·tiqued, cri·tiqu·ing, cri·tiques Usage Problem
To review or discuss critically.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

thecrypticodor

Acording to the first sentance on Wikipedia's definition I guess he didn't. Here's a better one.

critique

1. A critical review or commentary, especially one dealing with works of art or literature.
3. The art of criticism.

do any of those apply to what he said? Certainly doesn't sound like it

thecrypticodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 thecrypticodor

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

critique

3. The art of criticism.

Sure it does all three of defintions apply to his statement.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="thecrypticodor"]

critique

3. The art of criticism.

thecrypticodor

Sure it does all three of defintions apply to his statement.

If you think that was "critique" then I'd say our conversation ends right now.

It's funny though, you accused me of only telling him to take to system wars because it was halo, but honestly (which I already proved that is not the reason, but you still convienently ignored that post), it seems to me that the only reason you're defending him is because he criticized halo

Anyway I'm done here, it's a shame apparently some of the users here want the Legacy boards to become a new system wars or a neogaf, don't worry though, as soon as the 360 and PS3 consoles become legacy platorms, you'll get your wish