Best and worst games this year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

I found this liste to be interesting, but have any of you bought anything that was absolute crap and something that was just awesome?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/18/the-best-worst-reviewed-games-of-2013?page=2

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Splinter Cell Blacklist and Diablo 3

For AAA games they were absolutely horrid and even tho i got both at launch i have played perhaps 4-5hours combined just to give them a chance but they suck so bad that i just couldn´t get into them, Blacklist being the worst Splinter cell games in recent memory.

Oh forgot my best

Tomb Raider and TLOU.

Both absolute gems even tho TLOU did hold your hand to much, it was a decent story and did a good job.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Last_Ride

SimCity and AC IV are my worst and best

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Ya, i must admit i enjoy Black Flag and i like that they have pushed the Assassin´s creed back and kinda left it open for a wider interpretation

They did a pretty good job with that and after AC 3 its good to see it back on track.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Does it have to be games that came out this year or just best and worst games we got this year in general.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Ya, i must admit i enjoy Black Flag and i like that they have pushed the Assassin´s creed back and kinda left it open for a wider interpretation

They did a pretty good job with that and after AC 3 its good to see it back on track.

AC III was kind of a mess when it comes to AC series. Still a great game, but not an AC game in standards

@bowchicka07 said:

Does it have to be games that came out this year or just best and worst games we got this year in general.

sure whatever floats your boat

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

A curious thing happened to me this year in gaming. On the AAA side I mean. Not once, but twice a game elicited a new kind of response. Typically, games try to keep the player engaged through fun. Even scary games rely on the player enjoying the kind of fun that comes from Halloween scares typically. (Silent Hill 2 notwithstanding)

This year I felt delightfully uneasy. Engaged through something other than simple "fun factor". The Last of Us made me extremely uncomfortable, to great effect. As did Grand Theft Auto V. With TLoU, it was clearly deliberate. With GTA5 I'm not as sure. It could have been the developers putting me in a situation of discomfort to hammer home the point they were trying to make, or some sicko could have been getting his jollies by making "That scene" (you know the one I mean) be as horrific as it was. Either way, it left an impression.

It was good though. I like that games are trying to evolve. Slowly, as is the way of evolution, we are seeing developers trying to get out ahead of the curve and move away from sophomoric fantasy violence as their driving force. Games have a unique way to engage the audience, and this year had 2 great examples of games gripping me in a new and interesting way. For a AAA title, that's impressive.

As for the worst, I did a pretty good job of not wasting my time with many games I'd consider less than enjoyable. So for me, I'll have to stick to my most disappointing title. I'm disappointed in Plants vs Zombies 2: It's About Time for it's monetization model, and in Batman: Arkham Origins for telling a story no one wanted to hear. It wasn't a bad game, and it was a story told well enough, it just ultimately doesn't feel like it accomplished anything other than keeping the name Arkham in gamers minds while Rocksteady was working on something else.

And I got to pay $60 for the pleasure of playing a game that broke a lot of what worked in the past while adding in a multiplayer mode no one really asked for. I know some have said it's kind of fun, and I am happy they enjoyed it. But it seems like the epitome of shoehorned modes. Not really something anyone was wanting or that a developer felt that the game needed, but something an accountant suggested as a way to possibly sell more map packs later on if it takes off and people dig it. I don't like to be cynical, but that's just how it felt to me.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

The Last Remnant was the worst game I bought this year and the best was Diablo III for console. I seen Jacanuk hates it but idk i've been waiting for a good hack and slash for so long and 4 player co op was a blast with it.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

In no particular order:

Best - The Last Of Us, Forza 5, DmC: Devil May Cry, Tales Of Xillia

Worst - Ryse, Bioshock Infinite, God Of War: Ascension

TLOU is easily the best story in a game I've experienced in a long time. Forza 5 is great fun and in my eyes the first "must own" Xbox One title. DmC and Tales Of Xillia were 2 very pleasant surprises this year for me, with the latter changing my view on the JRPG genre.

As for the games on my worst list, Ryse is the worst game by a distance as its all style and no substance. I felt Bioshock Infinite was very overrated, and I couldn't get interested in the story, and the God Of War game was very repetitive, I'd say its now a series that has overstayed its welcome.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@I-AM-N00B said:

In no particular order:

TLOU is easily the best story in a game I've experienced in a long time. Forza 5 is great fun and in my eyes the first "must own" Xbox One title. DmC and Tales Of Xillia were 2 very pleasant surprises this year for me, with the latter changing my view on the JRPG genre.

As for the games on my worst list, Ryse is the worst game by a distance as its all style and no substance. I felt Bioshock Infinite was very overrated, and I couldn't get interested in the story, and the God Of War game was very repetitive, I'd say its now a series that has overstayed its welcome.

Infinite is a you either like it or dislike it i think. I have no interest in Bioshock as a series. Ryse looked bland and was an expensive tech demo in my book. I haven't really dived into God of War all the much, i have just finished the first game so far

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

my favorite games this year were brothers: a tale of two sons and gone home.

honestly, i didn't play a ton of new releases this year so i didn't end up stumbling onto something really bad. i mean, rain was really disappointing but it had too much going on to call it bad. i suppose there's dust 514. the mechanics got better over the course of the year and even that horrid spawn system is pretty functional now, but it feels too narrow in scope (not much in the way of game modes or maps) and CCP seemingly did everything they could to stop you from finding a clan that suits you for integration into EVE.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#12 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Best - GTA V, Battlefield 4, Fifa 14

Worst - Bioshock Infinite - I just didn't like it. Can't compare to Bioshock 1.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

Impressive. Most Impressive. Obi-Wan has taught you well - GTA 5 and AC 4

Wait a minute. This isn't my world. Disappointed! - Bioshock Infinite

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

disappointment is diablo 3 for sure. i knew it was going to suck but i didn't think it would be that bad. waste of money and time. my fault, i bought it way past release and didn't want to believe all of the reviews of it.

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Simcity gets the worst, just give us bigger maps and it would be so good.

Best: Prisoner Architecture, its still in alpha but its maybe the most fun i've had all year

VeRtiGo-365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By VeRtiGo-365
Member since 2013 • 47 Posts

I don't know about my worst but my best was The Last of Us. Hands down. Maybe the best game I've ever played.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Best: GTA5, The Last Of Us, AC4, Tomb Raider, Tales Of Xillia - In that exact order.

Worst: DmC, God Of War: Ascension, Arkham Origins, Beyond: Two Souls - Hated the DmC reboot, the God Of War franchise needs to be laid to rest now, Arkham Origins was essentially a recycled version of Arkham City and Beyond was a jumbled up mess.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@I-AM-N00B said:

In no particular order:

I heard Bioshock and Beyond Two Souls are a hate-love relationship

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Does anyone really think GTA's parody of modern day america is still particularly "biting"?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I'd have to go with

Best- TLOU, State of Decay, Fire Emblem Awakening, GTA V, Pokemon X, The Wolf Among Us EP 1, AC4, Metro Last Light

Worst- Bioshock Infinite, Hearthstone "beta" (so far)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Worst- Remember Me (PS+). The future Paris artstyle was an eye pleaser but we don't get to explore it. Linearity and handholding that Uncharted & Tomb Raider would laugh at and intrusive cutscenes ahoy. I'm not against linearity per se but I get the feeling the developers had trouble hiding the collectibles in this game. Make your own combos- a cool idea. The crap camera and janky controls almost wreck it. The time rewinding thing was neat. So some nice ideas in this game but fails in the fundamental areas.

Wasn't big on Hitman: Absolution. Mostly that disguise bullshit. I was never all that good at Hitman though.

Best, all the obvious stuff like GTA, Fire Emblem, TLOU, P4G. Splinter Cell: Blacklist was a nice return to form on Perfectionist difficulty. Mutliple paths, 80%+ of your time sneaking around with goggles on, they finally got it right again.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

For me the best: The Last of Us, Tomb Raider (loved the story lines) & Assassins Creed Black Flag, GTA 5. Kudos to Diablo 3 & FarCry 3.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

BEST - The Last of Us, Assassins Creed 4, GTA V, Super Mario 3D World, Tomb Raider, DMC

WORST - Metal Gear Rising, Gears of War: Judgement, Ryse: Son of Rome,

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Best: Anarchy Reigns, Metal Gear Rising,The Wonderful 101, A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D World, Dragon's Crown, Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed, Animal Crossing, Guacamelee.

Worst: The Last of Us (by far), Beyond: Two Souls, GTA5 story mode, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Ni No Kuni, God of War, Diablo 3, Ryse, DMC, Sonic Lost World, any other dull first/third person shooters I may have forgotten.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Gone Home was my favorite game of the year

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

best:pokemon y,tearaway,lego marvel super heroes,rayman legends etc

worst: call of duty ghosts(another lame CoD game),ni no kuni(more mediocre than bad though),virtues last reward,and any game i didnt play because of lack of interest XD

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

For me it would be

Best: Pikmin 3 (exceptional in all the two most important aspects a game can have: Gameplay and level design)

Worst: Puppeteer (more flash than substance. It has charm, great visual style, and great presentation, but the gameplay and level design are mediocre at best)

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

@JML897 said:

Gone Home was my favorite game of the year

i hear alot of people loving that game

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Best : GTA V, Metro Last Light, Dead Rising 3, Ryse Son of Rome

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@sukraj said:

i hear a lot of hate on Ryse tbh

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@sukraj said:

i hear a lot of hate on Ryse tbh

yeah it got mixed reviews lol.

Tokeism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tokeism
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Best - Tomb Raider, Rogue Legacy, Pokémon X, Fire Emblem Awakening, Total War: Rome II, Path of Exile, The Wolf Among Us: Episode 1 – Faith, The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episode 1 - All That Remains

Worst - Guardians of Middle-earth, DOTA 2

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Last_Ride

@sukraj said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@sukraj said: