Best Action-RPGs on the SNES?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

What are your picks from the Action-RPG games available on the SNES?

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (30484 posts) -
Seiken Densetsu III
#3 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

There's not a whole lot of these I can think of:

• Actraiser (so awesome and unique, why didn't this ever get a PROPER sequel? The only platforming-levels of the actual sequel was a load of crap)
  • Illusion of Gaia
  • Knights of the Round (and I normally wouldn't even include this if not for the scarce amount here, it barely qualifies as an action-RPG)
  • Soul Blazer

What else is there? I'd love to learn of some more if there are. I know some people consider Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid action-RPGs, and they are great games, but I doubt that's what you mean.

#4 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8041 posts) -
Actraiser Illusion of Gaia Secret of Mana
#5 Posted by Allicrombie (25240 posts) -
My first thoughts were Illusion of Gaia and Soul Blazer. I love Secret of Mana but I wouldnt consider it an action RPG. There was also a game called Young Merlin that was a bit quirky that I kind of enjoyed.
#6 Posted by Knocks (67 posts) -

It's a blurry genre definition anyway. But yeah, would have to go with one of the Square games, even though they weren't my favorite.

#7 Posted by OniStrat (1800 posts) -

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Terranigma yet? It's one of the best (if not THE best) RPG's on the SNES. It was never released in the US though. Anyway, Illusion of Gaia (which is sort of a prequel to Terranigma) is amazing as well.

#8 Posted by GreekGameManiac (6439 posts) -

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Terranigma yet? It's one of the best (if not THE best) RPG's on the SNES. It was never released in the US though. Anyway, Illusion of Gaia (which is sort of a prequel to Terranigma) is amazing as well.

OniStrat

Lol you answsered your own question...it wasn't released in the USA.

Anyway,becareful,i haven't played Soul Blazer or Illusion of Time yet.

#9 Posted by OniStrat (1800 posts) -

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

GreekGameManiac

So, because it wasn't released in the US no one should mention it? There are plenty of people around these forums that are from other parts of the world, including me.

#10 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

OniStrat

So, because it wasn't released in the US no one should mention it? There are plenty of people around these forums that are from other parts of the world, including me.

If we live in the U.S., then it's quite likely we haven't played it. So why would we mention it? Why haven't you mentioned it?

#11 Posted by Jag85 (4628 posts) -

Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3

Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma

Ys III / Ys IV / Ys V

#12 Posted by OniStrat (1800 posts) -

[QUOTE="OniStrat"]

[QUOTE="GreekGameManiac"]

Emerald_Warrior

If we live in the U.S., then it's quite likely we haven't played it. So why would we mention it? Why haven't you mentioned it?

As I said earlier, GameSpot hosts a forum to people from all over the world. I was just surprised that no one had mentioned Terranigma considering it's one of the best games on the system. And yes, I did mention it.

Besides, nowadays it's not very hard to find a way to play games that weren't released in your part of the world.

#13 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Secret of Evermore/Mana and Illusion of Gaia are tops.

#14 Posted by Chrono66 (1296 posts) -

For me its Terranigma hands down. Although OP if you are looking for an action game you could try Gunman's Proof.

#15 Posted by Subtle_Ninja_X (35 posts) -
Terranigma is amazing, plays well with lush environments, great hit detection and I loved the menu (Jump into the little bag and walk to your weapon screen and item screen, most excellent!) Illusion of Gaia was a great game as well. Plays similar to Zelda but had way more puzzles and they puzzles it had were sometimes even difficult. Not to mention the story was really good. Brainlord was alright, a little difficult but still offers a good gameplay
#16 Posted by abcdefgabcdefgz (547 posts) -

I always really liked brainlord which can be tough at times and has a lot of puzzles but was one of my favorite snes games. I dont think its nostalgia I really think snes was the greatest system of all time with tons of the best games even to this day. I have yet to see an rpg match final fantasy 3 or chrono trigger and the music on tons of snes games were the best tracks ever made.

#17 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

my vote would go to "Secret of Evermore" personally, followed by "Soul Blazer" and "Secret of Mana". Wasn't such a fan of "Illusion of Gaia" personally, or "Lagoon" for that matter.

#18 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8041 posts) -

my vote would go to "Secret of Evermore" personally, followed by "Soul Blazer" and "Secret of Mana". Wasn't such a fan of "Illusion of Gaia" personally, or "Lagoon" for that matter.

TheKungFool
I liked Illusion of Gaia but agree about Lagoon. That game was terrible.
#19 Posted by killerband55 (107961 posts) -

• Actraiser (so awesome and unique, why didn't this ever get a PROPER sequel? The only platforming-levels of the actual sequel was a load of crap)

Emerald_Warrior

that game is difficult, i remember seeing this game in action on Nick Arcade (remember that gameshow?) and i wanted to play it, and i finally played it and i got demolished in that game, it was that tough

#20 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

killerband55

that game is difficult, i remember seeing this game in action on Nick Arcade (remember that gameshow?) and i wanted to play it, and i finally played it and i got demolished in that game, it was that tough

wow, never heard of Act Raiser referred to as being difficult before, its really a pretty standard game.

are you sure you played it right?
I'm not trying to be a jerk by saying that, but I honestly flew through the game in a weekend without any trouble whatsoever.
Maybe you didn't save/use your magic for the right moments? or didn't realize the townsfolk give you bonuses/perks etc?
I dunno, I personally didn't find the game difficult at all.