This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Jessey-Stone
Member since 2011 • 375 Posts

what is your favorite 2D rpg??

mine has to be lunar one for the sega cd

revolutionary for the great cut scenes and one of the few gems of the sega cd and well just a great rpg

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

lufia 2: rise of the sinstrals

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Jessey-Stone

lufia 2: rise of the sinstrals

ionusX

lufia series is great i like in rise of the sinistrals the dungeun where you can pick any characters you want and start from level one and work your way down trough the floors what is the name of that dungeon???

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

unknown.. all i remember was the amazing interactivity that it had and the amazing gameplay and boss fights. the story was also like sheer awesomeness.

steventhebol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 steventhebol
Member since 2003 • 360 Posts

Chrono Trigger hands down. Loved the story, Loved the characters, and loved the final boss fight. Just an epic rpg and one of my favorites of all-time.

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jessey-Stone

Chrono Trigger hands down. Loved the story, Loved the characters, and loved the final boss fight. Just an epic rpg and one of my favorites of all-time.

steventhebol

i never played chrono triger but i wanna try it out

looks fun

also breath of fire is epic

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jessey-Stone

unknown.. all i remember was the amazing interactivity that it had and the amazing gameplay and boss fights. the story was also like sheer awesomeness.

ionusX

yeah lufia is pure awesomeness :)

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

[QUOTE="steventhebol"]

Jessey-Stone

i never played chrono triger but i wanna try it out

looks fun

also breath of fire is epic

Chrono Trigger. Easily the single, greatest game out there. You should get it ASAP.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Although I dont dislike Chrono Trigger, I think it gets way to much praise, just like FF7. Now, dont start flaming me, because I love both the games, I just dont feel as if they are the best.

I still would have to choose Breath of Fire 1,2 and 3 for best 2d RPG's of all time. I loved the early series.... although Dragon Warrior/quest is a good rival at times. I would even throw out the honorable mentions of Chrono Trigger, and the first 6 Final Fantasies along with... ok, I like a lot of different RPG's... lol

Back on track though.. yeah, BoF 1,2 and 3 get my honors.

TheEnd54321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEnd54321
Member since 2010 • 62 Posts

Suikoden II.

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts
Phantasy Star IV nuff said
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Although I dont dislike Chrono Trigger, I think it gets way to much praise, just like FF7. Now, dont start flaming me, because I love both the games, I just dont feel as if they are the best.

WitIsWisdom

It definitely gets to much praise and sometimes it's overrated by some fans today, but not without a cause, it had a few unique concepts aswell as being well made, and revolutionary for console RPG in 1995, ahead of its time in every way. Everything about the game is simplistic today, but the charm that was poured into it is off the charts. It's memorable, entertaining, and doesn't get boring. For what it does, it does well.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

is incredibly hard to name one game but I will do it. my favorite is lunar eternal blue for the sega cd

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue (Sega CD or PS1, I like both)
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Lunar 2 and Suikoden 2 are pretty tough to beat IMO.
3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts

Phantasy Star IV nuff saidNismology

This guy has the right answer.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

phantasy star 4 is truly f'n fantastic

NodakJo2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 NodakJo2010
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

Would Super Mario RPG legend of the seven stars count? It had did have 3-d textures, but it was still 2d sprite based.

If not then as of now Final Fantasy IV...i need to play through Chrono Trigger and FF VI yet and haven't touched much on the Sega side of RPGs at all so my opinion is limited on a few choice of games.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Lucianu

It definitely gets to much praise and sometimes it's overrated by some fans today, but not without a cause, it had a few unique concepts aswell as being well made, and revolutionary for console RPG in 1995, ahead of its time in every way. Everything about the game is simplistic today, but the charm that was poured into it is off the charts. It's memorable, entertaining, and doesn't get boring. For what it does, it does well.

I agree with everything you said for the most part, and as I stated before it is a good game, but to go as far as saying the best is pushing it in my opinion. I really thought the first third ofthe game was great. Being a fan of a game is one thing, but stating that a game is the best because your a fan or because of nostalgiamakes one bias. I try to play all games with an open mind regardless of reviews, and I would have to say that particular game doesnt even rank in my top 5 SNES RPG's (top10? yes). I also prefer a little more lengthy RPG and Chrono Trigger is rather short (only in the 15-20 hour range)... By the way this isnt a personal shot at anybody in particular, I just think a lot of people tend to jump on the band wagon.

Oh, and by the way... who ate the chicken? I know I did... lmao :P

steventhebol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 steventhebol
Member since 2003 • 360 Posts

When it comes to the matter of something being the best it's all a matter of opinion in the end anyway, so of course there is going to be bias towards one game or another. There are many excellent RPGs out there on the market and really there is no way of factually proving that one RPG is the best. Heck, somebody could come in here and say Pokemon is the greatest RPG of all-time. That very same person could have played all the 2D rpgs in the world, ultimately that's their opinion and if most people share in that opinion, that still doesn't necessarily mean it's the best. They're neither right nor wrong about it. Just like when people vote on the best game of the year on each gaming site the majority of the time the best pick will be different for many sites as I'm sure this year as well will be another case of that.

Personally, the experience that I had playing Chrono Trigger was one of the best I've had out of an RPG. I had fun searching for all the hidden treasures, understanding and mastering the battle system, getting to know each of the characters across several different time periods, listening to the excellent music, and becoming engrossed in the overall story. That experience warrants me saying that it's the best 2D rpg regardless of whether others feel it's overrated due to its popularity (which seems to happen with many quality titles nowadays) or that some games that came after or even before its release does certain things better.

I'll go a little outside of the topic at hand and use the following as an example. I'm sure some of you are book readers out there and you all have your favorite kinds of books. Let's say as an example that I feel that Brave New World is the greatest science fiction novel of all-time. It may not be as lengthy as other novels in the same category (something that can be proven factually) nor does it have as much depth as other novels, however it connects to me in a way that other novels in the same genre haven't. Just because other books may have more substance, they shouldn't automatically be considered better than a book of lesser substance. That should truly be reserved for what the end user gets out of it.

KnightSkull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KnightSkull
Member since 2011 • 1481 Posts

Paper Mario... :P

Really though, it's between Chrono Trigger and Breath of Fire II.

Jessey-Stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jessey-Stone

Lunar 2 and Suikoden 2 are pretty tough to beat IMO.rawsavon

the only thing i found difficult in lunar 2 where the draon bosses and those dungeons

but overall its not that difficult imo of course

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Lunar 2 and Suikoden 2 are pretty tough to beat IMO.Jessey-Stone

the only thing i found difficult in lunar 2 where the draon bosses and those dungeons

but overall its not that difficult imo of course

I did not find anything about either lunar to be difficult at all (so long as you clear enemies as you go) ...oh, you thought I meant 'tough' as in difficult. I meant tough to beat as far as quality
AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

I'd say Bard's Tale and Buck Rogers (C64 versions) and Phantasy Star (SMS). I also like the Final fantasy 2d games. Difficult to choose ONE though.