Batman Arkham Knight: Is Gamespot's review accurate?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Farty_Fartsalot
Farty_Fartsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Farty_Fartsalot
Member since 2013 • 192 Posts

Or is it a misfire?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Considering so many are reporting it being borderline unplayable, I think a 7 was being kind.
But hey, Atleast those that got it on Steam can try out the refund feature that Valve implemented.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

A lot of GS reviews are not exactly accurate. Everybody knows this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

It's his opinion. How can it be inaccurate? (excluding lying about the content of the game which he didn't do)

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@toast_burner said:

It's his opinion. How can it be inaccurate? (excluding lying about the content of the game which he didn't do)

This. I can understand why a score might be that low, although personally I couldn't see it any lower than 7/10 based on what I've played so far. This new game sure does love the Batmobile, and while I like it too its inclusion does feel pretty forced at times. Between that and all the technical issues I'm seeing on PC (almost Arkham Origins level of technical glitches) I can certainly understand where a reviewer would be coming from.

However, the technical issues are the biggest problem I have with the game presently and none of them are preventing me from playing. The stutters are a bit irritating but they aren't ruining the experience for me and most of the other glitches are few and far between. While it's inclusion feels a bit forced, I actually like the Batmobile for the most part so that's not a deal breaker for me. Many of the other elements they've now added I'm still learning but like so far, but I'm only a little ways into the game so far (maybe 10% overall completion, which is probably 1/5th of the way through the main story).

-Byshop

Avatar image for Farty_Fartsalot
Farty_Fartsalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Farty_Fartsalot
Member since 2013 • 192 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

What's their worst review?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@Farty_Fartsalot said:
@Bigboi500 said:

mario kart 64

@Byshop said:

However, the technical issues are the biggest problem I have with the game presently and none of them are preventing me from playing. The stutters are a bit irritating but they aren't ruining the experience for me and most of the other glitches are few and far between. While it's inclusion feels a bit forced, I actually like the Batmobile for the most part so that's not a deal breaker for me. Many of the other elements they've now added I'm still learning but like so far, but I'm only a little ways into the game so far (maybe 10% overall completion, which is probably 1/5th of the way through the main story).

-Byshop

yeah must admit i was a bit wary of the batmobile after the gs review but up to now (i'm about 10% in too) i've been pretty impressed. it feels good to drive (being able to launch yourself into the sky whilst hurtling along is a nice touch) and it's slipped in nicely alongside the other gadgets. i'll have to wait until i'm further in before i can judge how repetitive it gets, as the review said it did.

on the ps4, resolution aside, the graphics look superb and there's no framerate dips at all unlike in other recent games. the combat's been improved considerably, gotham is a much more detailed and interesting place, the voice acting is brilliant - i'm struggling to say anything really negative about it at this stage tbh. even loading times are relatively short

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I think reviewers are harsher for some reason after The Wicher 3 review.

This is why demos where a good thing , because even if a review gave it a low score some people will enjoy the game regardless.

Not holding the reviewer to blame for his view of the game.

Hell reviews here for Neverdead are shit , but i had fun with the game.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@Macutchi said:
@Farty_Fartsalot said:

mario kart 64

yeah must admit i was a bit wary of the batmobile after the gs review but up to now (i'm about 10% in too) i've been pretty impressed. it feels good to drive (being able to launch yourself into the sky whilst hurtling along is a nice touch) and it's slipped in nicely alongside the other gadgets. i'll have to wait until i'm further in before i can judge how repetitive it gets, as the review said it did.

on the ps4, resolution aside, the graphics look superb and there's no framerate dips at all unlike in other recent games. the combat's been improved considerably, gotham is a much more detailed and interesting place, the voice acting is brilliant - i'm struggling to say anything really negative about it at this stage tbh. even loading times are relatively short

I -love- how Gotham looks in this game. The Batmobile is fun but the controls -really- take some getting used to since it controls so wildly differently between driving and battle mode and you switch back and forth between them so frequently. Also, the new d-pad sceme keeps messing with me because I keep expecting it to control fast switching between my gadgets and not bringing up radial menus. That plus I'm CONSTANTLY hitting the Batmobile summon button while trying to go into detective mode.

And yeah, top notch voice talent.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Ant_17 said:

This is why demos where a good thing , because even if a review gave it a low score some people will enjoy the game regardless.

It seems to me that Gamespot are trying to go back to a system where 7 actually means good, rather than the old "if it's below 8 it's not even worth looking at"

I don't think it's them being harsher.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Byshop  Moderator

@toast_burner said:
@Ant_17 said:

It seems to me that Gamespot are trying to go back to a system where 7 actually means good, rather than the old "if it's below 8 it's not even worth looking at"

Yeah, a 7 isn't exactly a terrible score but we get so hung up on a "if it's a AAA game then the score should be no less than 8 or it's a total bomb" mentality.

-Byshop

elheber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 elheber
Member since 2005 • 2895 Posts

More important than the numerical rating, a critic has to give the reader/audience enough information to allow them to make an accurate guess as to how they will enjoy it. And by these terms, the review was excellent as far as I can tell. Through the content of the review, I was able to guess it would feel like an 8/10 for me, and that's exactly what the game feels like so far.

Kudos.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

@elheber said:

More important than the numerical rating, a critic has to give the reader/audience enough information to allow them to make an accurate guess as to how they will enjoy it. And by these terms, the review was excellent as far as I can tell. Through the content of the review, I was able to guess it would feel like an 8/10 for me, and that's exactly what the game feels like so far.

Kudos.

Bingo. I can live with some forced Batmobile if the rest of the game is really solid.

-Byshop

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The only complaint, more like concern, I have with this game is how the Batmobile seems to take away from the fun in flying and exploration we saw in previous installments.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Farty_Fartsalot said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Tropical Freeze review is pretty bad as well imho. TLOU review is just weird.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Byshop  Moderator

Someone posted in PC gaming but WB is going to suspend sales of Arkham Knight on PC until they get the tech issues resolved.

http://kotaku.com/warner-bros-says-theyre-suspending-arkham-knight-pc-sal-1713780990

-Byshop

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but I already foresaw the Batmobile as being problematic just for the simple reason that it's not needed. It's like giving Sonic a go-kart (ironically enough, Sonic has his own karting game). I love grapple gliding and I'm sure I'll think the Batmobile is cool, but I know there will be a point where I just don't want to fucking drive it.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Byshop  Moderator

@JustPlainLucas said:

I haven't played it yet, but I already foresaw the Batmobile as being problematic just for the simple reason that it's not needed. It's like giving Sonic a go-kart (ironically enough, Sonic has his own karting game). I love grapple gliding and I'm sure I'll think the Batmobile is cool, but I know there will be a point where I just don't want to fucking drive it.

Yeah, even though there's a GPS function like in any driving game, I typically don't drive someplace unless I have to. They've also enhanced the gliding and grapnel moves so you can get around the city even faster, but at times when you have a prisoner or someone you've rescued you have to use the Batmobile to transport them. Personally I like it and actually being able to interact with the Batmobile instead of it just being a piece of scenery is a natural evolution for the series, but it does feel like the game seriously shoe-horns in some reasons to make you use it. Still, I enjoy the game (and the Batmobile) and am glad I got it.

-Byshop

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

If you look directly under the 7 in the review, it says good. So Kevin thought it was good game. Not great, but good. That is his opinion. That is what a games reviewer is hired to do, give their opinion. People that spend time on forums and twitter rampaging about his review to the point of harassing him make me sick. Those people need to get a life or completely withdraw from interacting with other people.

That said I like the game quite a bit, it is generally more of the same with an added Batmobile that I don't really care for. Different people have different tolerances for more of the same.... Personally I could play 30 Batman games with comparable systems but new stories because I love the world, but I can definitely understand someone starting to get a little burned out after 4 Batman titles in less than a decade.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@elheber said:

This.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#21 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Treflis said:

Considering so many are reporting it being borderline unplayable, I think a 7 was being kind.

But hey, Atleast those that got it on Steam can try out the refund feature that Valve implemented.

Considering he reviewed it on a PS4 its impressive you think that pc problems should have any bearing on Grumpy Kevin´s Review.

But when Gamespot is the only bigger site to give it a 7 and the rest is 9 and 10´s and a few 8´s , its clear that Gamespot is either trying to be the odd man out or it's just grumpy Kevin´s normal review style.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

@Jacanuk said:
@Treflis said:

Considering he reviewed it on a PS4 its impressive you think that pc problems should have any bearing on Grumpy Kevin´s Review.

But when Gamespot is the only bigger site to give it a 7 and the rest is 9 and 10´s and a few 8´s , its clear that Gamespot is either trying to be the odd man out or it's just grumpy Kevin´s normal review style.

Was unaware it was the PS4 version that was being reviewed.
Even so, The second line still stands.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#23 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I think 7/10 sounds about right.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

@Byshop said:

That plus I'm CONSTANTLY hitting the Batmobile summon button while trying to go into detective mode.

happened to me a lot at first too lol.

@Solaryellow said:

The only complaint, more like concern, I have with this game is how the Batmobile seems to take away from the fun in flying and exploration we saw in previous installments.

yeah the irony is that flying and exploration is soooo much better in this than in previous games because it's much easier to stay airborne. swooping down into the city at break neck speeds and catapulting yourself back up off buildings with the bat claw feels awesome! but still, up to now, the batmobile has fit in really nicely and hasn't outstayed it's welcome

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Treflis said:

PC =/= Console

digitaldame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#26 digitaldame
Member since 2006 • 5401 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

I'm sure I'll think the Batmobile is cool, but I know there will be a point where I just don't want to fucking drive it.

I hit that point the other night while trying to do side stuff for The Riddler. Got mad. Turned the game off. Gonna pick it back up later. I don't like being told in a sandbox game that I can't do something because of something as silly as, "Oh, your car can't get there yet, guess you gotta turn around."

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I've never understood this concept of trying to compare an opinion of one person to that of a popular consensus.

Why does it matter if GS's review falls in line with the Metacritic average or whatnot? Why can't we just respect the guy's opinion for what it is and take something from it (whether positive or negative).

This pervading problem of people trying to mush all reviewers into the same mold, giving their views and ideas even less importance to the ALMIGHTY SCORE! is just becoming tiresome.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It's perfectly accurate if you ask the guy who gave it the score.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I wholeheartedly support this. "Good" should mean "Good", not "this is actually trash, don't buy it"

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

batman is male power fantasy and the reviewer was kevin vanord, so of-course it was far from accurate. The guy has been on a crusade against deus ex too, so expect another bad review if it's him who ends up reviewing the game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#31 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@Gue1 said:

batman is male power fantasy and the reviewer was kevin vanord, so of-course it was far from accurate. The guy has been on a crusade against deus ex too, so expect another bad review if it's him who ends up reviewing the game.

Didn't he review The Witcher 3? So... I don't think you have anything there.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
@toast_burner said:

An opinion is something not necessarily based on knowledge or fact. Essentially, it can be a blind guess. If something is meant to address something correctly, but does so without the proper methods of addressing then it is not really accurate or reliable. This is not to say the GameSpot reviewer of Batman: Arkham Knight is at fault for this reason, but rather to explain how opinions can be inaccurate as a point of interest.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I thought gamespot score of dying light was a bit low, its an amazing game the melee combat is so satisfying.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Byshop  Moderator

@BranKetra: I'm having a blast with the game. It took a while to get used to the Batmobile controls but now that I'm proficient at them I find using it extremely satisfying.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@BranKetra said:
@toast_burner said:

An opinion is something not necessarily based on knowledge or fact. Essentially, it can be a blind guess. If something is meant to address something correctly, but does so without the proper methods of addressing then it is not really accurate or reliable. This is not to say the GameSpot reviewer of Batman: Arkham Knight is at fault for this reason, but rather to explain how opinions can be inaccurate as a point of interest.

And reviews are never based on fact either. The idea of a review is for them to give an in depth explanation of their experience and opinions with the game so we can use their views as a reference point to our own.

The best reviewer is someone who can say it's terrible, yet still make you want to buy it.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loafofgame
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Gue1 said:

Yeah, well, that's because... because... Kevin is gay and he thinks Geralt is a sexy beast. Ooh, ooh, and the combat is crappy in TW3, so you don't actually feel powerful. So it's not a power fantasy. And Geralt has long hair, so he's basically a girl. So TW3 is a female weakness fantasy.

It really doesn't matter. If Kevin reviews Deus Ex and gives it a 'mediocre' score, it'll be proof of consistent inaccuracy, but if it's a ten then the whole thing never happened. These battles cannot be won.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 branketra

@Byshop said:

@BranKetra: I'm having a blast with the game. It took a while to get used to the Batmobile controls but now that I'm proficient at them I find using it extremely satisfying.

-Byshop

Great. After completing FFX Remaster, this should be a good choice.

@toast_burner said:

And reviews are never based on fact either. The idea of a review is for them to give an in depth explanation of their experience and opinions with the game so we can use their views as a reference point to our own.

The best reviewer is someone who can say it's terrible, yet still make you want to buy it.

As parts of many reviews include critiques of functionality or the technical parts of the game from a player perspective, they can be based on fact in some capacity.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By branketra
@loafofgame said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Gue1 said:

Yeah, well, that's because... because... Kevin is gay and he thinks Geralt is a sexy beast. Ooh, ooh, and the combat is crappy in TW3, so you don't actually feel powerful. So it's not a power fantasy. And Geralt has long hair, so he's basically a girl. So TW3 is a female weakness fantasy.

He also has a beard.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 loafofgame
@BranKetra said:

He also has a beard.

Some women have beards...

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

@BranKetra said:
@loafofgame said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@Gue1 said:

He also has a beard.

Conspiracy confirmed. I for one welcome our Illuminati overlords.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 branketra

@loafofgame: Some men have long hair.

@Archangel3371 said:

Conspiracy confirmed. I for one welcome our Illuminati overlords.

Making a character androgynous seems typical of Japanese developers. There might be a link.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 loafofgame
@BranKetra said:

Some men have long hair.

Well, that's just morally abhorrent.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By branketra

@loafofgame: The military would probably be a natural fit for you.