Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#251 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Tried watching Burton's 1989 Batman... its been several years, and I take back any statement I made about any movie before Begins. There is no "charm," just nostalgia, vague memories and incredibly slow pacing and terrible special effects. And Nicholson's Joker is terrible. Even Dimaggio's is better. There is a tone about Nolan's films that I like... but I have to say, aside from Ledger's performance, Begins is a much more enjoyable, and "complete" film. I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises. And B/S: Apocalypse was pretty good. Introduced me to several new DC characters. I also stand by my "Marvel focuses too much on superpowers" comment. The majority of Batman's enemies are just psychotics and the mentally ill. There is a certain charm about the lack of super-powers I find more appealing than anything else in the DC/Marvel universes.foxhound_fox

I appreciate that Burton's Batman was quite revolutionary back in '89. It was the film that got me into Batman and comics as a whole and had it not been for that film I would have never picked up and read things such as Miller's Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

That understood, the more you read Batman, the more you come to realize Burton gets just about everything wrong. Nicholson's Joker is nothing but Jack in makeup chewing the scenery and stealing the limelight. Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne is laughably miscast. Then you have the notion of Batman actually killing, which goes against the grain of the character's established parameters to such an extent that you might as well be watching a Punisher flick. The best thing I could ever say about Burton's Batman is that it's a quirky interpretation by a filmmaker who was able to personalize an icon and make an entertaining film that completely abandons the integrity of the source material.

And I won't even get started on Batman Returns, which is simply ridiculous.

Nolan's films are Batman; even when factoring in some of his changes, he and his people understand the character at a molecular level. I actually think Dark Knight is the apex of the superhero genre but I don't think it can be considered a "complete" film until both bookends are finished, namely The Dark Knight Rises. When taken as a trilogy I believe all three films will tell one coherent and brilliant story that will set and maintain the high water mark for years to come. It is a shame that Ledger passed however, as it is clear Nolan intended for the Joker to return.

As to the Red Hood, it is, in my opinion, the best animated Batman film ever made. (Though I haven't watched Year One yet) I was blown away when I first watched it because it actually managed to surpass Mask of the Phantasm, which most Batman fans agreed was the best animated outing and had retained that title since the mid 90's.

One of the most fascinating things about Batman in the DC universe is that despite the fact that he is surrounded by powerful meta-humans whose supernatural and otherworldly powers eclipse his mortal limitations, he is the most feared of all the Superheroes and commands the Justice League side-by-side with Superman. He's also pretty much the only DC hero who has taken down Superman consistently over the years.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#252 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
From what I've read(which, admittedly, isn't a whole lot), the Joker wasn't so much about killing people as he was about finding interesting and amusing ways to kill people. And in that respect, I think they captured the Joker with Jack. As far as the new movie coming out, I figure ever since Maroni basically laughed in his face in the Dark Knight, Batman should stop with the "I'm a SCAAAARY MONSTER!" voice. Everyone knows he's a guy in a suit, and no one takes the voice seriously. Plus it just makes him sound like an idiot. I would've hoped that Nolan had chosen to recast the Joker and finish whatever story he'd had planned. I mean, yeah, Ledger's performance was really something, but to have THE JOKER say "we'll be doing this for a long time," and then just be left to rot is unforgivable. Separate from the actor, the character ought to rate at least that amount of respect. I remember Mask of the Phantasm from way back in the day. I saw it the one time and that was that. I ought to look it up again. Red Hood was pretty darn good, but:..[spoiler] ...is that talk of the Joker starting out as the Red Hood canon? [/spoiler]
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 El_Zo1212o

What happened to this thread that everyone keeps talking about? I'm curious to read it! :P

Metamania
A link to the "OTHER" Batman thread. I personally think our friend Gram was laying it on pretty thick, but it's all there to read.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#254 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

What happened to this thread that everyone keeps talking about? I'm curious to read it! :P

El_Zo1212o

A link to the "OTHER" Batman thread. I personally think our friend Gram was laying it on pretty thick, but it's all there to read.

I'm caught up to speed and I'm with the others on Gram. He intelligently debated the whole matter all the way through and those who lamely insulted pretty much got owned. Way to go Gram! I'm proud of you for sticking to your guns all the way through!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#255 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
As far as the new movie coming out, I figure ever since Maroni basically laughed in his face in the Dark Knight, Batman should stop with the "I'm a SCAAAARY MONSTER!" voice. Everyone knows he's a guy in a suit, and no one takes the voice seriously. Plus it just makes him sound like an idiot.El_Zo1212o
The lowered-voice does two things: 1. Makes people who know Bruce not be able to figure out he is Batman if they are speaking with him. 2. A low, grunting voice is imposing, and is part of Batman's tool kit of interrogation and controlling the situation through fear. Bale handles it a lot better in Begins than Dark Knight, that's for sure. In the latter, it is just too growly and forced.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 Metamania

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]As far as the new movie coming out, I figure ever since Maroni basically laughed in his face in the Dark Knight, Batman should stop with the "I'm a SCAAAARY MONSTER!" voice. Everyone knows he's a guy in a suit, and no one takes the voice seriously. Plus it just makes him sound like an idiot.foxhound_fox
The lowered-voice does two things: 1. Makes people who know Bruce not be able to figure out he is Batman if they are speaking with him. 2. A low, grunting voice is imposing, and is part of Batman's tool kit of interrogation and controlling the situation through fear. Bale handles it a lot better in Begins than Dark Knight, that's for sure. In the latter, it is just too growly and forced.

Yeah, I agree. In Begins, he had the right tone for it. He sounded more menancing than how he sounded in Dark Knight. I hope he brings back that tone in the third movie!

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 Grammaton-Cleric

From what I've read(which, admittedly, isn't a whole lot), the Joker wasn't so much about killing people as he was about finding interesting and amusing ways to kill people. And in that respect, I think they captured the Joker with Jack. As far as the new movie coming out, I figure ever since Maroni basically laughed in his face in the Dark Knight, Batman should stop with the "I'm a SCAAAARY MONSTER!" voice. Everyone knows he's a guy in a suit, and no one takes the voice seriously. Plus it just makes him sound like an idiot. I would've hoped that Nolan had chosen to recast the Joker and finish whatever story he'd had planned. I mean, yeah, Ledger's performance was really something, but to have THE JOKER say "we'll be doing this for a long time," and then just be left to rot is unforgivable. Separate from the actor, the character ought to rate at least that amount of respect. I remember Mask of the Phantasm from way back in the day. I saw it the one time and that was that. I ought to look it up again. Red Hood was pretty darn good, but:..[spoiler] ...is that talk of the Joker starting out as the Red Hood canon? [/spoiler] El_Zo1212o

Actually, the Joker from the comics (generally speaking) is a homicidal psychopath who was transformed by a combination of tragedy and circumstance into a clownish ghoul. From that point onward he became the "Clown Prince of Crime" and his modus operands is to generate as much chaos and destruction as possible. Some of his antics are degenerately amusing while others are purely and casually murderous. What I can tell you as a lifelong fan of the character is that Nicholson's Joker embodies very little of what makes him such a frightening and lethal villain where by contrast Nolan and Ledger understood and even expanded on the characterization to such a point I predict it will have a lasting influence on the way the character as a whole is portrayed within all mediums.

One very good example of this come from Nolan/Ledger's Joker essentially making up his origin story at every turn. The Joker in Alan Moore's seminal "The Killing Joke" actually talks about how he prefers his history to be "multiple choice."

Another fantastic example of how accurate the Ledger Joker was is his indifference to his own life, both when he hands Two-Face the gun and allows Harvey to flip the coin to decide his fate and also at the end of the film when he actually laughs as he is tossed off the building. He is actually disappointed that Batman won't kill him because if he ever does, that means he has forced his nemesis to surrender his strong and well-defined moral code. (This decision by Batman not to kill the Joker is actually at the very crux of their complicated relationship)

Burton's take on the Joker was simplistic, as was the totally unnecessary revelation that the Joker murdered Bruce's parents. Also, in answer to your question, the Red Hood stuff has been cannon for a very long times, as is Joe Chill being the murderer of Wayne's parents.

As to recasting the Joker, I understand why Nolan opted not to do this. It was probably a difficult decision but from an artistic standpoint he probably didn't feel emotionally invested in getting another actor to play the role. To be certain somebody like James Franco, who has a similar look to Ledger and also possesses some strong acting chops, could have done the character justice but I also think it was a classy move to let it go.

Once Nolan is done we'll probably get some manner of reboot and then someone else can helm the direction and subsequently cast a new Joker.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 Metamania

Man, I love the disruptor upgrade for the firearm jammer. It makes my job a lot easier in disabling the guards with their guns and am able to take them out as quick as I can. The only thing that I hate about is the slow recharging, so I hope I can get that fixed with a better upgrade.

As for where I am now...

[spoiler] I just rescued a Fiona Wilson and found out that Joker is giving Dr. Strange the weapons. The plot thickens! Oh and I met Robin too...lot of fun to play from that time with the DLC over at my friend's house this past weekend! :D [/spoiler]

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 foxhound_fox
I prefer using silent takedowns and the quickshot batclaw (in combat) for disarming foes. :D -- Also, I read a local paper review of the game today and it said that Asylum was the better game SOLELY because of the pacing of the story. So none of the upgrades to the combat, to the world and to the whole package meant anything to the reviewer. I just couldn't stop shaking my head after. According to him, Asylum was a "masterpiece" and this, well, wasn't. But then again, this reviewer writes for a... basically... hipster newspaper, and I very rarely agree with anything he says anyways. -- I also grabbed the Nightwing DLC today and like his speed, but I haven't got used to the Eskrima fighting style yet. It feels kind of weird.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 Metamania

I prefer using silent takedowns and the quickshot batclaw (in combat) for disarming foes. :D -- Also, I read a local paper review of the game today and it said that Asylum was the better game SOLELY because of the pacing of the story. So none of the upgrades to the combat, to the world and to the whole package meant anything to the reviewer. I just couldn't stop shaking my head after. According to him, Asylum was a "masterpiece" and this, well, wasn't. But then again, this reviewer writes for a... basically... hipster newspaper, and I very rarely agree with anything he says anyways. -- I also grabbed the Nightwing DLC today and like his speed, but I haven't got used to the Eskrima fighting style yet. It feels kind of weird.foxhound_fox

What in the world is that reviewer on? What kind of drugs is he taking? Seriously...the pacing in Arkham City is just as good as it was in Asylum. That guy is on crack!

And I love using inverted takedowns while I'm on a gargoyle and instilling the bad guys with fear. :D

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I prefer using silent takedowns and the quickshot batclaw (in combat) for disarming foes. :D -- Also, I read a local paper review of the game today and it said that Asylum was the better game SOLELY because of the pacing of the story. So none of the upgrades to the combat, to the world and to the whole package meant anything to the reviewer. I just couldn't stop shaking my head after. According to him, Asylum was a "masterpiece" and this, well, wasn't. But then again, this reviewer writes for a... basically... hipster newspaper, and I very rarely agree with anything he says anyways. -- I also grabbed the Nightwing DLC today and like his speed, but I haven't got used to the Eskrima fighting style yet. It feels kind of weird.Metamania

What in the world is that reviewer on? What kind of drugs is he taking? Seriously...the pacing in Arkham City is just as good as it was in Asylum. That guy is on crack!

And I love using inverted takedowns while I'm on a gargoyle and instilling the bad guys with fear. :D

The contrarian arguments can only cite story because objectively, everything else in Arkham City is superior as it relates to gameplay. I've actually read a few people trying to make the claim that the Riddler challenges are worse or that the boss battles aren't as varied but such assertions cannot be sustained under logical scrutiny.

Personally, I don't think the story is better or worse than Arkham Asylum but rather a progression of the narrative introduced in the first game. The abundance of villains is also something that has been lamented but I'm relatively certain that had the inverse occurred, we'd be fielding complaints about the dearth of baddies present in the game.

What this really comes down to - at least as it relates to my own discussions with those who think this game inferior - is the fact that some people simply don't like open world games in any capacity. Arkham Asylum, while open in some regards, was a fairly linear experience and that type of design tends to feel tighter and more focused. By contrast Arkham City is huge and overflowing with things to do, giving the experience a more fragmented feel. For some people, specifically those who were enamored with the narrative, losing that more cohesive feel might have been a bit jarring.

The irony is that the character and his universe lend themselves better to the open-world construct. As much as I loved Arkham Asylum, it was a very confined and narrow game compared to Arkham City which is expansive and allows you to be the Batman by leaping from rooftops, hiding in shadows and swooping down onto enemies within the boundaries of an actual city.

The other factor to keep in mind is that Arkham asylum came out of nowhere and floored everyone. Arkham City, while easily better in terms of mechanics and gameplay, is an evolution of that first game and thus the stark originality of the original isn't present. While Arkham City makes some pretty large improvements over the first, the core is very similar and that reality seems to dampen some people's enthusiasm. The irony here of course is that had Arkham City not made such large improvement, ostensibly it would have been labeled a "rehash."

I was watching a documentary last week and Neil Gaiman was discussing fandom and the fact that many fans simply want more of the last thing they were served. I think the vast majority of gamers recognize that Arkham City is a significant leap over the first but there is a segment of gamers who simply wanted precisely the same experience as AA, which begs the question: Why even play the sequel?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 El_Zo1212o

The contrarian arguments can only cite story because objectively, everything else in Arkham City is superior as it relates to gameplay. I've actually read a few people trying to make the claim that the Riddler challenges are worse or that the boss battles aren't as varied but such assertions cannot be sustained under logical scrutiny.

Personally, I don't think the story is better or worse than Arkham Asylum but rather a progression of the narrative introduced in the first game. The abundance of villains is also something that has been lamented but I'm relatively certain that had the inverse occurred, we'd be fielding complaints about the dearth of baddies present in the game.

What this really comes down to - at least as it relates to my own discussions with those who think this game inferior - is the fact that some people simply don't like open world games in any capacity. Arkham Asylum, while open in some regards, was a fairly linear experience and that type of design tends to feel tighter and more focused. By contrast Arkham City is huge and overflowing with things to do, giving the experience a more fragmented feel. For some people, specifically those who were enamored with the narrative, losing that more cohesive feel might have been a bit jarring.

The irony is that the character and his universe lend themselves better to the open-world construct. As much as I loved Arkham Asylum, it was a very confined and narrow game compared to Arkham City which is expansive and allows you to be the Batman by leaping from rooftops, hiding in shadows and swooping down onto enemies within the boundaries of an actual city.

The other factor to keep in mind is that Arkham asylum came out of nowhere and floored everyone. Arkham City, while easily better in terms of mechanics and gameplay, is an evolution of that first game and thus the stark originality of the original isn't present. While Arkham City makes some pretty large improvements over the first, the core is very similar and that reality seems to dampen some people's enthusiasm. The irony here of course is that had Arkham City not made such large improvement, ostensibly it would have been labeled a "rehash."

I was watching a documentary last week and Neil Gaiman was discussing fandom and the fact that many fans simply want more of the last thing they were served. I think the vast majority of gamers recognize that Arkham City is a significant leap over the first but there is a segment of gamers who simply wanted precisely the same experience as AA, which begs the question: Why even play the sequel?

Grammaton-Cleric
Absolutely right about the complaints regarding the number of villains. As far as the asylum vs the city, I agree- the biggest reason I only played the AA story once was because it felt so weird being Batman but being confined to indoor areas and not having a city to move around in. But when I played the Arkham City for the first time I was immedately disappointed when I hopped into my first fight- they had sped the combat up significantly, and I was no longer able to relish the instant takedowns as I had before. By the time I had finished the story(and all my upgrades) I was more than willing to overlook that- all the other updates to the fighting system more than made up for the one unfavorable change. Y'know, it's funny: just about since I started being a gamer(rather than simply playing games) I've always believed in "Gameplay>Story>Graphics." In the Arkham games, I've been most interested in combat- everything else(except maybe the voices) is just kinda window dressing. I sure hope Batman: Arkham Asylum will be remembered one day as the forerunner of a Beat 'em Up revival.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#263 Pikminmaniac  Online
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Has anybody else found these secret radio frequencies?

[spoiler] Find the coordinates X700.00, Y490.00 on the Cryptographic Sequencer to intercept a radio frequency that contains the following repeating numbers: 9, 23, 9, 12, 12, 18, 5, 20, 21, 18, 14, 2, 1, 20, 13, 1, 14. The message is decoded as "I WILL RETURN BATMAN".......... Find the coordinates X500.00, Y900.00 on the Cryptographic Sequencer to intercept a radio frequency that contains the following repeating numbers: 5, 15, 9, 7, 21, 18, 18, 14, 3, 5, 24, 15, 12, 7, 22, 3, 10, 5, 15, 9, 22, 3, 8, 25, 26, 15, 16, 25, 10, 15, 17, 25. The message is decoded as "YOU WILL PAY FOR WHAT YOU HAVE DONE TO ME"........ Who is this mystery man? [/spoiler]

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 Metamania

I just got done with another two-hour session of Arkham City and I now realize how difficult this game will be on the hardest difficulty setting. For instance, I have discovered baddies with their shields and taking them out won't be easy. And since they are grouped with varied enemies, you really gotta be quick on your toes or else things will get pretty messy. I hear that on the hardest difficulty, enemies are a lot more aggressive, faster, and will be harder to use counters against due to their aforementioned speed. I think I have to get Batman and the other characters all their equipment and increase my armor in both combat and ballastic to the fullest before I even attempt to go in the game on Hard.

[spoiler] I just fought Ras Al Ghul for the first time and he was a fun boss fight. I died at him a couple of times, but I figured out his strategy and it felt very satisfying to take him down. I have no idea how close I am to completing the game's story mode, but one thing I will say; the story is getting better and better with each passing moment! [/spoiler]

:D

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#265 Pikminmaniac  Online
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I have a new game plus question

[spoiler] how do you start the wather in the wings side quest on New Game Plus? Azreal isn't in the places he was on the normal game mode... I've beaten the game on New Game Plus and I can't find him anywhere [/spoiler]

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 foxhound_fox
I have a new game plus questionPikminmaniac
I found him once, but it was in a different place. So I assume they even changed his locations. -- @Meatmania: I'm at about where you are, but in NG+ and have been getting my ass handed to me in almost every fight. They introduced weapons almost immediately (guns come out in the courthouse, and knives shortly after) and the configurations of certain fights are *almost* unfair (but still possible to beat with application of skill and patience). Add on the fact they took out the attack indicators (for physical, knife, shield and stun baton attacks) and you have an incredibly difficult version of the normal game. The brawl in the Museum took me almost 30 minutes to pass... and it makes me fear a very late one in the game. As much as I prefer the counter indicators (especially in the combat challenges), their removeal changes the combat significantly. I tended to just keep an eye out for the indicators when they popped up, and took care of them pretty swiftly. Now I have to watch EVERYONE in the crowd, and be ready at any time to counterattack. It seems like this is what rocksteady intended for the combat, and it really makes you feel like Batman when you come out of a 20 person brawl unscathed. This is really shaping up to be an incredible game. One that will (and should) go down as easily one of the best of the generation. My only gripe is that I'm running out of places to explore... and just can't get enough.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 Metamania

@Meatmania: I'm at about where you are, but in NG+ and have been getting my ass handed to me in almost every fight. They introduced weapons almost immediately (guns come out in the courthouse, and knives shortly after) and the configurations of certain fights are *almost* unfair (but still possible to beat with application of skill and patience). Add on the fact they took out the attack indicators (for physical, knife, shield and stun baton attacks) and you have an incredibly difficult version of the normal game. The brawl in the Museum took me almost 30 minutes to pass... and it makes me fear a very late one in the game. As much as I prefer the counter indicators (especially in the combat challenges), their removeal changes the combat significantly. I tended to just keep an eye out for the indicators when they popped up, and took care of them pretty swiftly. Now I have to watch EVERYONE in the crowd, and be ready at any time to counterattack. It seems like this is what rocksteady intended for the combat, and it really makes you feel like Batman when you come out of a 20 person brawl unscathed. This is really shaping up to be an incredible game. One that will (and should) go down as easily one of the best of the generation. My only gripe is that I'm running out of places to explore... and just can't get enough.foxhound_fox

Who is Meatmania? :P

The way you describe things for hard, I'm going to be very satisfied and feel like I accomplished something big once I get the achievement to beat it on hard and to do this on New Game + is going to be challenging, frustrating, but fun all the while. What does get transferred to New Game +? Do you know?

Also...

[spoiler] I beat Mr. Freeze not too long ago and am looking for a way into the Steel Mill. I only see one door that I can get in, but it only lead me to three baddies and two Riddler trophies, one that was in plain sight (I had to use a Line Launcher to reach the other side, but didn't think of using the freeze blast until a second later after I got that trophy) and the other that was hidden behind a wall on the top platform that's near the Harley Quinn machine. So I'm trying to find another way into the building and so far, I've yet to find it...! [/spoiler]

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="Metamania"]What does get transferred to New Game +? Do you know? spoiler

The unlocks you get from levelling up and Riddler progress gets transferred to NG+. All main and side missions get reset. As for the spoiler, think about what gadgets you have and how they might interact with the environment. I had the exact same problem when getting to that part. You'll kick yourself when you figure it out.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
This game kicked my ass on NG+ the removal of the counter indicators makes the game alot harder. I remember dying like 3 or 4 times on normal but on hard i met catwoman and i'm now following the sniper who wanted to kill her and fighting some of the bad guys on street is hard without the counter indicator but i managed and there seems like there is more enemy on screen and are faster in their attacks and more of them have guns now and i used to wait for the counter indicator to tell me when to counter now i have to watch how they move to know when to counter, and its epic and feels good :P. game is my GOTY and i'll get back to it after i finish uncharted 3 on hard
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]I have a new game plus questionfoxhound_fox
I found him once, but it was in a different place. So I assume they even changed his locations. -- @Meatmania: I'm at about where you are, but in NG+ and have been getting my ass handed to me in almost every fight. They introduced weapons almost immediately (guns come out in the courthouse, and knives shortly after) and the configurations of certain fights are *almost* unfair (but still possible to beat with application of skill and patience). Add on the fact they took out the attack indicators (for physical, knife, shield and stun baton attacks) and you have an incredibly difficult version of the normal game. The brawl in the Museum took me almost 30 minutes to pass... and it makes me fear a very late one in the game. As much as I prefer the counter indicators (especially in the combat challenges), their removeal changes the combat significantly. I tended to just keep an eye out for the indicators when they popped up, and took care of them pretty swiftly. Now I have to watch EVERYONE in the crowd, and be ready at any time to counterattack. It seems like this is what rocksteady intended for the combat, and it really makes you feel like Batman when you come out of a 20 person brawl unscathed. This is really shaping up to be an incredible game. One that will (and should) go down as easily one of the best of the generation. My only gripe is that I'm running out of places to explore... and just can't get enough.

Yep agree with you :D
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]What does get transferred to New Game +? Do you know? spoilerfoxhound_fox
The unlocks you get from levelling up and Riddler progress gets transferred to NG+. All main and side missions get reset. As for the spoiler, think about what gadgets you have and how they might interact with the environment. I had the exact same problem when getting to that part. You'll kick yourself when you figure it out.

Yeah, I did kick myself in the nuts after I figured it out, not literally, but figuratively. :P The story just keeps on getting better and better., but I sometimes wish there was a better way to detect snipers without having to get out of detective mode and looking for red lines, then putting it back on and seeing where they are again. It's irritating!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#273 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274 Metamania

That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. MirkoS77

So when you start a NG +, is the difficulty immediately set on Hard or can you change it to a lower setting? If it stays on Hard, then that sucks, because I'd like to play a NG + at least once with the easy setting on.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. Metamania

So when you start a NG +, is the difficulty immediately set on Hard or can you change it to a lower setting? If it stays on Hard, then that sucks, because I'd like to play a NG + at least once with the easy setting on.

Yea, NG+ is only on hard. I know, it sucks. I was hoping to play through on normal or easy as well, because God knows some parts are very frustrating. I shouldn't say it's easy per se, it's just from what everyone's been saying about the difficulty I was expecting Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja hard when it's really not that bad. There's just very little room for error.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. MirkoS77

Yea, NG+ is only on hard. I know, it sucks. I was hoping to play through on normal or easy as well, because God knows some parts are very frustrating. I shouldn't say it's easy per se, it's just from what everyone's been saying about the difficulty I was expecting Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja hard when it's really not that bad. There's just very little room for error.

Then that sucks. I know that's what Rocksteady intended and in the end, I'm fine with it, but that means that I have to start all over on Easy and get everything that way.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 El_Zo1212o
@Metamania: Just wanted to say high five for having Conan in you recent games- that game was better than it got credit for.
...On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. MirkoS77
Not at all, not at all. I fully plan on picking it up, especially since I'm going to be chasing high scores on this game at least until the next one comes out. The only thing that really concerns me is that I've already got 3 extra costumes, so I'm pretty sure that when I buy the dlc I'm going to have at least one duplicate. But considering I'm really only buying it for one costume('70s Batman FTW!), I suppose that doesn't matter. I tell you what, though- I really hope to see a dlc add Robin and Nightwing character switch points and additional side missions. Oh, and I confirmed if you freeroam in the Animated Series skin, when you switch to Catwoman she'll be in hers, too.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 Metamania

@Metamania: Just wanted to say high five for having Conan in you recent games- that game was better than it got credit for. El_Zo1212o

I picked up a brand-new copy of the game not too long ago and am planning on going through it on Hard and eventually, on King. Hopefully, it won't be a hard adventure to go through. I got far as one time, but then I lost interest and didn't play it again for quite sometime.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#279 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. MirkoS77

Very much so. I almost bought the horrific "Green Lantern" movie just so I could get the Sinestro Corp. Skin... that's how badly I want them. Do you know about the NOS Energy drink promo I mentioned earlier in this thread? You can get the Batman Beyond skin with it. But still, I'm disappointed about the huge time gap (almost 2 months) between the game release and the release of the skins. As phenomenal of a game as Batman is, it isn't a game I plan to continuously play for months after beating it, so I'm almost inclined to just pass on the skins. Same with Robin DLC. I'd buy the s**** out of it right now, but I'll probably be playing Skyrim and AC: Revelations too much to care by the time it comes out.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 Metamania

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. Jbul

Very much so. I almost bought the horrific "Green Lantern" movie just so I could get the Sinestro Corp. Skin... that's how badly I want them. Do you know about the NOS Energy drink promo I mentioned earlier in this thread? You can get the Batman Beyond skin with it. But still, I'm disappointed about the huge time gap (almost 2 months) between the game release and the release of the skins. As phenomenal of a game as Batman is, it isn't a game I plan to continuously play for months after beating it, so I'm almost inclined to just pass on the skins. Same with Robin DLC. I'd buy the s**** out of it right now, but I'll probably be playing Skyrim and AC: Revelations too much to care by the time it comes out.

Don't remind me about Skyrim or AC Revelations right now...or the other games I'm picking up, for that matter. Do you have ANY idea how busy I'll be with both games combined? :lol: I am trying to beat Batman AC before Friday, but thinking about the other games makes it impossible! :P :lol:

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Jbul

I didn't think I could love this game anymore than I already do, until I found an awesome Easter Egg today.

I don't wanna spoil it, but it revolves around the achivement "In Rememberance". Look it up and check it out if you already haven't. One of the most poignant moments in the entire game.

Damn.... so good.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. Metamania

Don't remind me about Skyrim or AC Revelations right now...or the other games I'm picking up, for that matter. Do you have ANY idea how busy I'll be with both games combined? :lol: I am trying to beat Batman AC before Friday, but thinking about the other games makes it impossible! :P :lol:

I hear that. I'm not gonna jump on AC: Revelations right away, but I'll probably play it before the end of the year. But Skyrim is going to be played Friday after work, no doubt. Funny, I just played the hell out of Uncharted 3 for a few days, but coming back to Batman today and discovering what I did (in my previous post) reminded me of how god damned special this game is.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Jbul

Dear Dvader,

Another reason you should get a 360. I played the PS3 version on my friends' gamertag last night. I played Prison Riot Extreme, and pretty much achieved the same score (within 1000 points)I did on the 360 version. My placing on the 360? Top 1500, barely. My placing on PSN's pitiful leaderboards? Top 40.

Same thing happened with the Bulletstorm demo. I think the ratio was like top 500, to top 20 as a comparison.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

I hear that. I'm not gonna jump on AC: Revelations right away, but I'll probably play it before the end of the year. But Skyrim is going to be played Friday after work, no doubt. Funny, I just played the hell out of Uncharted 3 for a few days, but coming back to Batman today and discovering what I did (in my previous post) reminded me of how god damned special this game is.

SO I have a question...

[spoiler] How far am I if I'm trying to catch up to The Joker at the steel mill in order to get the cure back? [/spoiler]

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 foxhound_fox
@Mirko77: I have to find one I like before I stick with it. :lol: @dvader: Last I checked, I think I was at about 308/440, and I've spent a good amount of time seeking just trophies and riddles. It really is amazing how creatively "hidden" some of them are. -- And I just finished the Freeze fight on NG+a little earlier. Easily the best in the game, and dear lord does it test your ability to use takedowns. The guy even jams detective mode. Crazy.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

SO I have a question...

[spoiler] Damnit, I'm not sure. I forget where that is exactly. Check "Story Progress" in the Stats. Just know that the last %30 goes by REALLY fast. I think you encounter the Joker a few times, that might be around %60 if I'm not mistaken. BTW, did you get that In Remembrance Achievement? [/spoiler]

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 Jbul

I am almost done getting all riddler trophies, my god they are so cleverly done. Its a blast to get them all. And the riddler rooms are so excellent, it really makes you use your gadgets in awesome puzzles. The challenge maps are a huge time sink, all so much fun. This game is a masterpiece.dvader654

Think this is going to be your easy GOTY? I don't even know if you'll play Skyrim.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 Metamania

BTW, did you get that In Remembrance Achievement?

Jbul

Not yet. I am still trying to figure out to get that achievement. I know one thing for sure; I intend on getting everything in this game and after I complete it, I intend on picking up a good strategy guide so that I can find all the things I missed out on, which is certainly OK to do after completing the game for the first time.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 Jbul

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

BTW, did you get that In Remembrance Achievement?

Metamania

Not yet. I am still trying to figure out to get that achievement. I know one thing for sure; I intend on getting everything in this game and after I complete it, I intend on picking up a good strategy guide so that I can find all the things I missed out on, which is certainly OK to do after completing the game for the first time.

Yeah, I just got it today, so don't sweat it. I think I'm gonna get all my Riddler Trophies in my end-game save from my first playthrough. I want to be able to focus on combat and survival on my NG+ run!

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 El_Zo1212o
RUMOR CONTROL -- Upcoming Story DLC?

Kevin Conroy hinted earlier in the year about possible story DLC for Batman : Arkham City, claiming that "episodes" were going to be added onto the story well after the final product was released, and rumours have once again resurfaced after one NeoGAF thread pointed to a recent interview in the guardian with Sefton Hill, creative director over at Rocksteady. When prompted about future DLC, Sefton spoke of the expected challenge maps for Robin, but when pressured about if there would be any story DLC, Sefton smiled and said " I don't think I'm allowed to talk about that at this stage."

This corresponds with a quote Conroy was heard giving:

The gaming now is a big, new thing.The thing about Arkham City is that it's going to be an ongoing game. You're going to be able to download future episodes of it, so it's going to be going on for quite a while.I've been recording it for a while. So that will continue.

(Credit: Robot Geek)

Jbul
have I mentioned lately that you're my hero in this thread? On a side note, I'd like them to get a hold of NPH to voice Nightwing(like in Under the Red Hood) in some future freeroam dlc. pretty please, Rocksteady?
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 Metamania

OK, wow!

I just got two achievements. I won't say where, but I got the Ghost Train achievement and I can only imagine how harder that certain fight will be on NG+! Also, thanks to that same fight, I was able to gain the 50x Combo achievement. What a brutal fight! I just stayed focused and kept on hitting everybody, one at a time, until I reached 50 hits! I feel awesome! :D

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 foxhound_fox
*Fry holding money.jpg* Whatever kind of DLC is released for this game, I will be buying it. My hope is more story DLC though.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294 MirkoS77

@Metamania: Just wanted to say high five for having Conan in you recent games- that game was better than it got credit for. [QUOTE="MirkoS77"]...On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. El_Zo1212o
Not at all, not at all. I fully plan on picking it up, especially since I'm going to be chasing high scores on this game at least until the next one comes out. The only thing that really concerns me is that I've already got 3 extra costumes, so I'm pretty sure that when I buy the dlc I'm going to have at least one duplicate. But considering I'm really only buying it for one costume('70s Batman FTW!), I suppose that doesn't matter. I tell you what, though- I really hope to see a dlc add Robin and Nightwing character switch points and additional side missions. Oh, and I confirmed if you freeroam in the Animated Series skin, when you switch to Catwoman she'll be in hers, too.

I keep telling myself I won't be picking up the skin pack, but who am I kidding? Regardless of what I say, I'll probably end up buying them the day they release anyway.:lol: I know I will be for Robin at least. Though from a business perspective I have trouble seeing the sense in it. If they want to extend the longetivity they should put up DLC that's not so superficial later on. Like skins are so inconsequential and cosmetic I can't see many people getting too excited two months after the fact, especially with the heavy hitters coming up. If they had some Robin/Nightwing story/challenge DLC in December, that'd seem to make better sense as it's much more in-depth and would significantly add more relevant content than simply re-texturing.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. Jbul

I've heard of the NOS skins. What the heck is NOS anyway, I've never even heard of it. Personally I don't really care for the Batman Beyond skin (if that's the one with no cape, just wings that extend) and it'll be included in the skin pack. How many skins are there? Like 5-6?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]That's a cool sig you have there Fox. You change it so often it seems like every day, you should keep this one for a while. About NG+...I suppose I'm in the minority but I'm tending to find it easy, mostly due to having all the gadgets unlocked and upgraded. It's also easy to know who's going to strike (when they run up close), and the weapon disarm is invalueable. On a side note: is anybody as frustrated as I am about the skin DLCs due out next month? I mean, what's the point? Many people will have played and moved on by then. I'd think they'd get a lot more sales if they were available from the get-go. At this point I'm probably going to pass it up whereas I would have bought them day one. Makes no sense. MirkoS77

I've heard of the NOS skins. What the heck is NOS anyway, I've never even heard of it. Personally I don't really care for the Batman Beyond skin (if that's the one with no cape, just wings that extend) and it'll be included in the skin pack. How many skins are there? Like 5-6?

NOS is a Red Bull/ Rockstar-esque energy drink. I bought it, redeemed the pull tab and gave the can to my cousin. He asked me how he was supposed to open it, I told him to find a screwdriver:D! But the Batman Beyond skin is awesome- fine detail in the textures, the full face mask and the shiny red bat symbol... ooo... although I will say that without a cape Batman does look oddly disproportionate.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298 Metamania

@Jbul I've been playing the combat map, Survival Of The Fittest, and I looked up the leaderboards for my friends. You are on top with a score of 96,750! How in the unholy heck did you achieve a score like that????? I'd like to see some videos of you in action with this game, because I think you could teach me A LOT about how to deal with certain foes and achieve perfection without getting hurt like that!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299 foxhound_fox
Speaking of leaderboards, if anyone wants to add me on Xbox Live, here is mine: Foxhoundfox. I'd be interested to see how we all stack up against one another. Of course, I assume there are a bunch of PS3'ers here. :P
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 MirkoS77

^^^

Sure I'll add you. I need someone to compete against. Mine is MirkoS77 if anybody wants to add me.