Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#201 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

On a semi-unrelated note, I watched Batman: Year One today. The tone was fantastic, and the maturity was right where it should be (high, but not gratuitous). My only complaint is that it was exceedingly short (64 minutes). They could have done so much more, but I assume sequels are on their way.foxhound_fox

It's actually an animated version of a four part comic series by frank miller. I own a copy of the graphic novel myself. It was made in 1987

I would very much like to see the animated version

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

Yes, you are able to not only go back and finish, but open a "new game plus" mode (in the main menu) that increases the difficulty, changes the enemy placement and carries over your level/gadget progress. I'm about 55% complete and don't want to go NG+ until I'm completely done. It also says it carries over Riddler progress, but I've heard conflicting accounts and don't know personally.foxhound_fox

Thanks. There has been a sense of urgency to the story missions now, so I've felt compelled to try and complete them until another slow part opens up again.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Finished it, WHAT THE..... [spoiler] You cant do that, you can't kill the Joker. They killed the Joker!?!?!?!?!?! Holy crap. I am so sad. And the song Joker sings to Batman at the end, I almost teared up. What a beautiful romance they had, what a tragic ending. Well I say that is the end of this non canon storyline. I guess its a fitting way to say bye to Mark Hamill's Joker. [/spoiler] dvader654
There's an excellent thread about the ending. You ought to check it out. Arkham City Ending discussion SPOILERS, obviously

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]Yes, you are able to not only go back and finish, but open a "new game plus" mode (in the main menu) that increases the difficulty, changes the enemy placement and carries over your level/gadget progress. I'm about 55% complete and don't want to go NG+ until I'm completely done. It also says it carries over Riddler progress, but I've heard conflicting accounts and don't know personally._Dez_

Thanks. There has been a sense of urgency to the story missions now, so I've felt compelled to try and complete them until another slow part opens up again.

I can confirm that Riddler stuff carries over- the only thing that resets is story and side mission progress. Actually, since you can return to your completed game save to freeroam, riddler progress is mirrored- complete a riddle in NG+ and it reflects on your freeroam save. Collect a trophy on your free roam and it is collected in your NG+.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#204 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I've been moving around the city completing Side-Quests and solving Riddler Puzzles. Damn, those Riddler puzzles could almost constitute an entire game by themselves. I still haven't figured out the mechanic of "setting" something on multiple pressure pads (not the question marks, but the panels that don't respond to Batarangs, etc), including the ones on sides of buildings. But I've had to do some awesome stuff like activate 3 different generators at varying frequency with My Remote Electrical Charge,to manuever a trophy through a maze. Or throwing a batarang through a series of corridors to find a switch, etc. They're just brilliant. It's also cool when you come across one that's relatively easy, just to provide a breather, you're like "Aww yeah".

I really want the new skins to come out. I don't wanna wait until December. :( Damn.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#205 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
My most favourite of those trophy mazes was the one that was like the "claw game." I think it was near the steel mill and had two generators. At first, I just tried bouncing it around with the one and couldn't get anywhere. Then when I realized you could use the second one to move the first one horizontally, it was so great to finally get it.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Pikminmaniac

yeah these riddler trophies are fantastic. I've managed to figure out most of them, but there's one of those electromagnetic riddler ball tropies that I keep coming back to. There isn't a single angle that you can touch the generators with your RECs blast. It's completely encased in chainlink walls. Crazy stuff

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#207 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
On a semi-unrelated note, I watched Batman: Year One today. The tone was fantastic, and the maturity was right where it should be (high, but not gratuitous). My only complaint is that it was exceedingly short (64 minutes). They could have done so much more, but I assume sequels are on their way.foxhound_fox
I just watched that too the other day. Great film, wish it was like a half hour longer though. It had an awesome story.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#208 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm having trouble on one particular riddle, maybe someone knows.

[spoiler] It's on the farthest western part of the map. There's a tropy with a pressure pad nearby, with a question mark enclosed in chain-link fence against the wall. The only way to power on the ? is to step on the plate, but that causes two grates to pop-up on either side and blocks the entrance for the remote controlled batarang. How am I supposed to do this one? [/spoiler]

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Pikminmaniac

I think I can help MirkoS77

[spoiler] I'm pretty sure you just set your explosive gell on the buttons, step on the plate and set them off. Once I figured that out, I was able to solve a lot more riddles [/spoiler]

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 foxhound_fox
I was playing this glorious game in the dark last night (after about a six-hour Forza 4 marathon) and came to a realization (that I knew was inevitable): This is, frankly, pretty much one of the best games ever made. Playing in the dark emphasized the tone of the game that much more. I think I was a little tired and hazy (it was later evening and I just finished 6 hours of racing) and I started up in Penguin's museum (was searching for trophies and riddles). The volume was up and I was focused only on the game. I fell into a trance-like state and literally entered the game and "became" Batman. It lasted all of 5 minutes, but I was connected to the game in a way that I haven't experienced since Shadow of the Colossus. Every foot-step resonated, every brutal hit of his fists and feet had weight and were connected directly to me. I had become the Dark Knight. I had a feeling that this realization would come to pass, and my experience may sound like an acid-trip, but I assure you, I was not under the influence of anything other than the greatness of this game. I doubt anything else this year will impress me as much as this, so I have probably found my GOTY, and definitely one of my top-3 of the generation. Funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Asylum nearly as much (I played it once, got all the trophies and riddles and never touched the challenges) and am very much getting interested in the rest of the Batman/DC mythos.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 El_Zo1212o
I'm free roaming(after completing the game) as Catwoman in her Animated Series costume. Is this ability news to anyone?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 foxhound_fox
I'm free roaming(after completing the game) as Catwoman in her Animated Series costume. Is this ability news to anyone?El_Zo1212o
Yes. How did you achieve it? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me (I much prefer it, and use it all the time in challenges).
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]I'm free roaming(after completing the game) as Catwoman in her Animated Series costume. Is this ability news to anyone?foxhound_fox
Yes. How did you achieve it? I couldn't figure it out for the life of me (I much prefer it, and use it all the time in challenges).

Okay, well first things first, I haven't attempted to replicated it, so it mightve been a one off- I left off my original story save as Catwoman. A few hours later I turned my game back on, went into the riddler challenges and flipped through my costumes. I changed catwoman's to the long halloween version, then changed my mind and exited. Resumed my freeroam save and started out as Animated Catwoman. Of course, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it doesn't change her into the animated skin because I selected the Animated Batman costume...
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Jbul

I was playing this glorious game in the dark last night (after about a six-hour Forza 4 marathon) and came to a realization (that I knew was inevitable): This is, frankly, pretty much one of the best games ever made. Playing in the dark emphasized the tone of the game that much more. I think I was a little tired and hazy (it was later evening and I just finished 6 hours of racing) and I started up in Penguin's museum (was searching for trophies and riddles). The volume was up and I was focused only on the game. I fell into a trance-like state and literally entered the game and "became" Batman. It lasted all of 5 minutes, but I was connected to the game in a way that I haven't experienced since Shadow of the Colossus. Every foot-step resonated, every brutal hit of his fists and feet had weight and were connected directly to me. I had become the Dark Knight. I had a feeling that this realization would come to pass, and my experience may sound like an acid-trip, but I assure you, I was not under the influence of anything other than the greatness of this game. I doubt anything else this year will impress me as much as this, so I have probably found my GOTY, and definitely one of my top-3 of the generation. Funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Asylum nearly as much (I played it once, got all the trophies and riddles and never touched the challenges) and am very much getting interested in the rest of the Batman/DC mythos.foxhound_fox

Yes, this. I'd say it's the best game since Bioshock, or perhaps MGS4 for me, and in the top 10 of all time without a doubt.

I also know I'll enjoy games for the rest of the year -- Uncharted 3, Skyrim, maybe the Assassin's Creed game will amuse me. However Uncharted 3 will be over in 8 hours and I won't feel like replaying it, Skyrim will be great, but it'll be a different kind of great -- a drawn out, high-quality great, but not what Arkham City achieves in impact.

Asylum was a great game, but certainly nowhere near the quality achieved here. I honestly wonder how they'll ever top it, or if anyone will, in any genre, for years to come.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Okay, well first things first, I haven't attempted to replicated it, so it mightve been a one off- I left off my original story save as Catwoman. A few hours later I turned my game back on, went into the riddler challenges and flipped through my costumes. I changed catwoman's to the long halloween version, then changed my mind and exited. Resumed my freeroam save and started out as Animated Catwoman. Of course, now that I think about it, I'm wondering if it doesn't change her into the animated skin because I selected the Animated Batman costume...

Hmm... I don't have the Animated Batman. I would like to know if it is possible to select her Animated costume. I love the cel-shaded look. Its unfortunate it isn't as highly detailed as the default up close though.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 MirkoS77

I think I can help MirkoS77

Pikminmaniac

Thanks. I was wondering how to take those ? out. Also didn't know you could select which gel to explode by zooming in on it. Some of these riddles are crazy...I love it!

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#217 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

I was watching some Nightwing gameplay vids and Robin map challenges and the combat in this game looks improved over Batman: AA and I thought the combat was already damn good. I had very little to no hype for Arkham City, but it just went up a minute ago. I'm awaiting the PC version. Can't wait.

Holy Batman!

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]I was playing this glorious game in the dark last night (after about a six-hour Forza 4 marathon) and came to a realization (that I knew was inevitable): This is, frankly, pretty much one of the best games ever made. Playing in the dark emphasized the tone of the game that much more. I think I was a little tired and hazy (it was later evening and I just finished 6 hours of racing) and I started up in Penguin's museum (was searching for trophies and riddles). The volume was up and I was focused only on the game. I fell into a trance-like state and literally entered the game and "became" Batman. It lasted all of 5 minutes, but I was connected to the game in a way that I haven't experienced since Shadow of the Colossus. Every foot-step resonated, every brutal hit of his fists and feet had weight and were connected directly to me. I had become the Dark Knight. I had a feeling that this realization would come to pass, and my experience may sound like an acid-trip, but I assure you, I was not under the influence of anything other than the greatness of this game. I doubt anything else this year will impress me as much as this, so I have probably found my GOTY, and definitely one of my top-3 of the generation. Funnily enough, I didn't enjoy Asylum nearly as much (I played it once, got all the trophies and riddles and never touched the challenges) and am very much getting interested in the rest of the Batman/DC mythos.Jbul

Yes, this. I'd say it's the best game since Bioshock, or perhaps MGS4 for me, and in the top 10 of all time without a doubt.

I also know I'll enjoy games for the rest of the year -- Uncharted 3, Skyrim, maybe the Assassin's Creed game will amuse me. However Uncharted 3 will be over in 8 hours and I won't feel like replaying it, Skyrim will be great, but it'll be a different kind of great -- a drawn out, high-quality great, but not what Arkham City achieves in impact.

Asylum was a great game, but certainly nowhere near the quality achieved here. I honestly wonder how they'll ever top it, or if anyone will, in any genre, for years to come.

After spending far too much time in that "other" Batman thread, I think the most obvious and intractable evidence of this game's true greatness is how minor and nitpicky the criticisms of Arkham City really are. Most of the people who have derided this game - even mildly so – seem to have unreasonable expectations as to what a sequel should entail. Others were annoyed at the open-world structure but frankly, I'd argue this change suits the character better than a more linear, focused approach.

It really is an amazing experience in every way. Even the music –which is something I tend to ignore – is fantastic. The scary thing is I considered AA to be one of the best games ever made and this sequel eclipses it entirely.

I really cannot wait to see what Rocksteady does next.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#219 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

So I was away for a few days, visiting a college friend of mine. He pre-ordered Arkham City from Best Buy and got the DLC for Robin and I got to check him out in the past few days and he's really a lot of fun to play. I love his martial arts and the counter-attacks, specifically one where he pulls off a Neo and kicks three seperate guys, one by one, while holding onto his stick and circling aroudn them in the air. Sick! I hope that, someday, there will be an edition of the game with everything packed, including the characters and challenge maps. Would be great to own! Robin is SUCH a COOL character! And I'm told that you get to see him during the main campaign, but I've yet to spot him.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Grammaton-Cleric

So I was away for a few days, visiting a college friend of mine. He pre-ordered Arkham City from Best Buy and got the DLC for Robin and I got to check him out in the past few days and he's really a lot of fun to play. I love his martial arts and the counter-attacks, specifically one where he pulls off a Neo and kicks three seperate guys, one by one, while holding onto his stick and circling aroudn them in the air. Sick! I hope that, someday, there will be an edition of the game with everything packed, including the characters and challenge maps. Would be great to own! Robin is SUCH a COOL character! And I'm told that you get to see him during the main campaign, but I've yet to spot him.

Metamania

All of the exclusive DLC should be made public eventually just like withAA.

There's no way Rocksteady went to that much effort merely for Best Buy. Like the skins, we'll be gettinghim down the road.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Grammaton-Cleric

All of the exclusive DLC should be made public eventually just like withAA.

There's no way Rocksteady went to that much effort merely for Best Buy. Like the skins, we'll be gettinghim down the road.

Release dates and amounts for Arkham City DLC. (Can anyone I.D. the Batman second from the left in the picture on that page?)
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#222 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I just got past Penguin and Grundy. This game is pretty rad.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Release dates and amounts for Arkham City DLC. (Can anyone I.D. the Batman second from the left in the picture on that page?)

I think our resident expert will have to answer that. But these prices seem pretty reasonable, especially if it adds missions and trophies on top of the character. And especially if it integrates it into the story (making replaying the game even more worthwhile).
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

I think this should explain

EDIT: It doesn't :P

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 MirkoS77

I'd really love to see a new Streets of Rage (or Final Fight) that utilizes this combat engine. I hope this system appears in many future games, as Rocksteady has nailed down melee fighting better than anyone else I've ever seen. A side scrolling beat 'em up could work brilliantly if they'd double or even triple the number of animations so it wouldn't become so repetitive, add a second attack button, make it co-op, with destructible environments.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Metamania

I'd really love to see a new Streets of Rage (or Final Fight) that utilizes this combat engine. I hope this system appears in many future games, as Rocksteady has nailed down melee fighting better than anyone else I've ever seen. A side scrolling beat 'em up could work brilliantly if they'd double or even triple the number of animations so it wouldn't become so repetitive, add a second attack button, make it co-op, with destructible environments.

MirkoS77

Heck, why not throw in Double Dragon, a series that has been gone for a long time now? I would love to see Double Dragon done with a combat engine like this. Wouldn't that be amazing?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Metamania

Heck, why not throw in Double Dragon, a series that has been gone for a long time now? I would love to see Double Dragon done with a combat engine like this. Wouldn't that be amazing?

Ah, Double Dragon! Even better, that's been gone for too long now. That'd be sweet. I hope Rocksteady knows what they've got here and decides to license out this engine like crazy. It's a prime opportunity to help revitalize a genre that's basically been non-existent for a while now, hopefully other companies out there will take the initiative and use it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

MirkoS77

Ah, Double Dragon! Even better, that's been gone for too long now. That'd be sweet. I hope Rocksteady knows what they've got here and decides to license out this engine like crazy. It's a prime opportunity to help revitalize a genre that's basically been non-existent for a while now, hopefully other companies out there will take the initiative and use it.

I'm hoping for the same thing, actually. Maybe some of these games can be revived because of it, because what Rocksteady accomplished here shouldn't be ignored by any of the developers of today. Arkham City and its predecessor has one of the best combat systems I've seen in a genre like this. So I'm with you; I hope that developers immediately take notice and try out their own thing and putting their own spin into the combat system, as long as it is done correctly and fits the tone of that universe, like with Double Dragon.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 MirkoS77

Anyone DL Nightwing yet? Pretty cool, I like his stun batons and his costume is bad***. Worth the money. I think if Rocksteady released new character DLC every few months I could play the challenge maps forever.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Metamania

Anyone DL Nightwing yet? Pretty cool, I like his stun batons and his costume is bad***. Worth the money. I think if Rocksteady released new character DLC every few months I could play the challenge maps forever.

MirkoS77

I'm actually holding off on getting the DLC. My way of thinking is that Rocksteady will eventually release some sort of GOTY edition with all the DLC included, from challenge maps to extra characters. If they do that, I'm in!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

Metamania

I'm actually holding off on getting the DLC. My way of thinking is that Rocksteady will eventually release some sort of GOTY edition with all the DLC included, from challenge maps to extra characters. If they do that, I'm in!

Tbh, If I wasn't such a huge fan of AA/AC I'd hold off as well, but I haven't enjoyed any game as much as I am enjoying AC in a long, long time. It's definitely worth it for me. I was wondering the same thing if they'll eventually release a "complete" version in a year or so with all DLC included. It'd be great to have everything on one disk.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

MirkoS77

Tbh, If I wasn't such a huge fan of AA/AC I'd hold off as well, but I haven't enjoyed any game as much as I am enjoying AC in a long, long time. It's definitely worth it for me. I was wondering the same thing if they'll eventually release a "complete" version in a year or so with all DLC included. It'd be great to have everything on one disk.

If they can do that, then I'll glady trade in my original copy and use it towards the GOTY edition when the time comes. Meanwhile, since there's so much to do in the game, DLC isn't really something to buy at this point.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Grammaton-Cleric

I'm pretty much Rocksteady's b**** in regards to DLC. I will drink this game up and ask for seconds and thirds until I burst from gluttony.

As to the Nightwing DLC, it's excellent. Like Catwoman he plays entirely different than Batman and his stun escrema sticks are pretty slick.

The other thing that I think is worth mentioning is how well Rcoksteady continues to nail the design of the characters. They draw inspiration from the comics to be certain but all of their character designs have some tweaks and changes that make them feel like a part of this specific Batman universe. There's a dark, almost gritty look to the characters in these games and I really love the overall aesthetic which has a noir look and feel.

I'm also really looking forward to that Robin DLC later this month. I've heard it's a blast.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#235 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts
Its like a game made by Nintendo the gameplay is that good, you can't beat Metroid or Zelda like gameplay.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 El_Zo1212o
I'm pretty much Rocksteady's b**** in regards to DLC...Grammaton-Cleric
You and me both, brother. I was gonna check the market later in the day and play Nightwing tonight after work- good thing I stopped in here this morning. I wonder though, now that we have the Big Three(plus Catwoman) who's left to be a playable character?
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]I'm pretty much Rocksteady's b**** in regards to DLC...El_Zo1212o
You and me both, brother. I was gonna check the market later in the day and play Nightwing tonight after work- good thing I stopped in here this morning. I wonder though, now that we have the Big Three(plus Catwoman) who's left to be a playable character?

I guess that leaves batgirl. Cassandra Cain!

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

I'm pretty much Rocksteady's b**** in regards to DLC. I will drink this game up and ask for seconds and thirds until I burst from gluttony.

As to the Nightwing DLC, it's excellent. Like Catwoman he plays entirely different than Batman and his stun escrema sticks are pretty slick.

The other thing that I think is worth mentioning is how well Rcoksteady continues to nail the design of the characters. They draw inspiration from the comics to be certain but all of their character designs have some tweaks and changes that make them feel like a part of this specific Batman universe. There's a dark, almost gritty look to the characters in these games and I really love the overall aesthetic which has a noir look and feel.

I'm also really looking forward to that Robin DLC later this month. I've heard it's a blast.

dvader654

Robin is fantastic, like the rest he feels different. My favorite aspect is that all the predator challenges have totally new objectives for each character. I could play this forever. I want to know how different nightwing is from robin. Btw what did you think of the ending. Oh and that other thread is annoying , you fought the good fight though.

I actually haven't finished the story yet. I'm savoring this one as slowly as I can because I just love it so much. I also keep playing the challenge maps but I'll probably hunker down and beat the story very soon. (I also have tons of games backlogged and I'll be nabbing Uncharted 3 today)

Thanks for the nod to that other thread. It was pretty brutal in there, though I also got to discuss the game at length with some intelligent people like Elzo1212o, who actually had something articulate and cogent to add to the discussion.

The thing is, I can understand why some people might prefer the first on a purely subjective basis but from an objective standpoint AC trumps AA in just about every conceivable way. And that's coming from a man who worshipped AA.

Nightwing is interesting because he isn't quite as agile as Catwoman but he's not quite a brutish as Batman. He actually has a style that seems to walk the middle ground between speed and brute force and it demonstrates just how deliberate and considerate Rocksteady has been in imbuing each playable character with their own distinctive style, toolset and move list.

If they were to maintain this level of quality in their DLC I'd happily shell out money indefinitely.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

MirkoS77

I think the combat from Captain America: Super Soldier lends itself better to the co op experience than Arkham's freeflow combat. Like I said in another thread, Captain America is to brawling as Batman is to kung fu. And Billy and Jimmy Lee are all about brawling. Also, if you're throwing down a really righteous freeflow beating, you'll be upset if your partner snakes your next target and ruins your combo. On the other hand, if each bad guys doesn't go down in a single hit, they could make some special animations for team knockouts or something- like if Billy lumps on an enemy until he goes dazed and Jimmy grabs him, then the two of them go into a beatdown animation or something.

I hope someone is taking notes here, 'cause I'm getting excited just dreaming about it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Metamania

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

I think the combat from Captain America: Super Soldier lends itself better to the co op experience than Arkham's freeflow combat. Like I said in another thread, Captain America is to brawling as Batman is to kung fu. And Billy and Jimmy Lee are all about brawling. Also, if you're throwing down a really righteous freeflow beating, you'll be upset if your partner snakes your next target and ruins your combo. On the other hand, if each bad guys doesn't go down in a single hit, they could make some special animations for team knockouts or something- like if Billy lumps on an enemy until he goes dazed and Jimmy grabs him, then the two of them go into a beatdown animation or something.

I hope someone is taking notes here, 'cause I'm getting excited just dreaming about it.

Or just take up a stick of dynamite, throw it at two guys and watch it explode as you spin around and plant a jumping spin kick to three enemies nearby you. The possibilities are endless!

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 foxhound_fox

I guess that leaves batgirl. Cassandra Cain!

Pikminmaniac

Or Black Canary. :3

In semi-unrelated news for the second time, I finished watching Batman: Under the Red Hood. Exceptional movie, that made me want to get deeper into Batman than ever before. And the Joker-Batman rivalry is pretty much the best in the history of creative fiction, at least for me... and this movie just exemplified everything great about it.

Now I'm watching Batman/Superman: Apocalypse. DC is switfly becoming my favourite of the two major comic universes (something about Marvel just never "clicked" for me ever since childhood... might have been all the ridiculous super powers and incredibly obvious moral lessons... and the rhyming names).

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Or Black Canary. :3 In semi-unrelated news for the second time, I finished watching Batman: Under the Red Hood. Exceptional movie, that made me want to get deeper into Batman than ever before. And the Joker-Batman rivalry is pretty much the best in the history of creative fiction, at least for me... and this movie just exemplified everything great about it. Now I'm watching Batman/Superman: Apocalypse. DC is switfly becoming my favourite of the two major comic universes (something about Marvel just never "clicked" for me ever since childhood... might have been all the ridiculous super powers and incredibly obvious moral lessons... and the rhyming names).

Rhyming names? Whose names rhyme? I watched Under the Red Hood a week or two ago and while I was getting annoyed by the Joker(not mark hamill XP), it was an excellent movie. I don't want to turn this into a MvsDC flame war, so all I'll say on the matter is this: ridiculous superpowers? Superman. That is all.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 foxhound_fox
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Rhyming names? Whose names rhyme? I watched Under the Red Hood a week or two ago and while I was getting annoyed by the Joker(not mark hamill XP), it was an excellent movie. I don't want to turn this into a MvsDC flame war, so all I'll say on the matter is this: ridiculous superpowers? Superman. That is all.

Sorry, couldn't remember "alliteration" when writing. J. Jonah Jameson, Peter Parker, Fing Fang Foom, etc. etc. And Superman is one of a few being in the DC universe with extraordinary powers. Everybody and their grandmother has some sort of superhuman power in Marvel. X-Men for instance. And John DiMaggio did a pretty good job with Joker.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Metamania

I need to go back to Gamestop. I threw away the receipt that had the Joker Carnival code without realizing it, so I hope I'm able to re-secure a receipt again...

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 El_Zo1212o

I need to go back to Gamestop. I threw away the receipt that had the Joker Carnival code without realizing it, so I hope I'm able to re-secure a receipt again...

Metamania
Ouch! Good luck, bro.[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Rhyming names? Whose names rhyme? I watched Under the Red Hood a week or two ago and while I was getting annoyed by the Joker(not mark hamill XP), it was an excellent movie. I don't want to turn this into a MvsDC flame war, so all I'll say on the matter is this: ridiculous superpowers? Superman. That is all.

Sorry, couldn't remember "alliteration" when writing. J. Jonah Jameson, Peter Parker, Fing Fang Foom, etc. etc. And Superman is one of a few being in the DC universe with extraordinary powers. Everybody and their grandmother has some sort of superhuman power in Marvel. X-Men for instance. And John DiMaggio did a pretty good job with Joker.

Idunno, man- Superman, Green Lantern, the Flash, all the other Superpeople. I suppose I don't know enough about the DC universe to carry on much further, but not everyone in the Marvel Universe have super powers- The Punisher, Captain America(who has no powers besides perfect physical and mental conditioning(like Batman)), and Dead Pool(who only has a healing factor and near-superhuman endurance)- to name a few. Funny thing about the alliterative names, though- I was watching the old '90s Spiderman cartoon recently and was noticing a similar trend- Curt Connors(the Lizard), Michael Morbius, Betty Brandt. I don't know who Fing Fang Foom is, but maybe it's a Spiderman thing.*shrug.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

El_Zo1212o

Ouch! Good luck, bro.

Thanks man. Hopefully, it will work out ofr the best. Otherwise, I may have to wait until it is eventually released on DLC or hopefully getting a GOTY edition, should the gaming gods be smiling down upon us. :lol:

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Jbul

Got the Nightwing DLC. I like it alot. As Grammaton stated, he feels very distinct -- not as fast as Catwoman, but definitely faster than Batman, and I think he's actually pretty close to Catwoman speedwise once you get the freeflows going. My only complaint, albeit a minor one? I wish he had the pre-fight speech that Batman and Catwoman do. Especially Batman, who's legendary lines before the Challenge Maps always get me fired up, and literally feel %100 perfect to the spirit of the character.

Something not alot of people have touched on regarding the combat -- the motion capture of all the moves. These are NOT clunky animations here, they're buttery smooth motion-captures of real martial artists performing REAL MOVES, and it shows.

As someone who's been involved in Combat Sports for a good chunk of my life, it's hard not to cheer when I see a character do a REAL move that would work in THAT particular situation the character is in. Just another testament to the painstaking care put into every aspect of this game. Most of the fighting is legit martial arts, in other words.

IF anyone has any Nightwing tips they'd like to share, post 'em. As most of you know, he's got some of Batman's gear (Grapple and Batarang, most notably) but also has Wrist Darts which can be quick fired pressing RT twice, just like Batman's freeze blasts. As far as I can tell, he can't do Batman's DISARM grapple manuever (X +Y, but neither can Catwoman, insofar as I can tell), but he can use the Grapple against gun-toting enemies effectively (LT + Y).

He's got a pretty badass stun move that can be used when your Combo multiplyer is x5 or above, just hit (A + B), and it'll shock every single enemy on the screen, opening alot of opportunities forcombo free-flow, and is great for Crowd Control.

Also has a move that stuns large groups of enemies but requires no combo in LT + X.

All in all an awesome addition to an already feature-packed masterpiece. If you guys have anymore Nightwing tips, please share.

Oh and Grammaton, I agree with Dvader regarding the other Batman topic. Funny how no one could argue your points, so they just started slinging personal insults towards you. :roll: Glad you stood your ground, "mate".. :P

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Metamania

What happened to this thread that everyone keeps talking about? I'm curious to read it! :P

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Jbul

What happened to this thread that everyone keeps talking about? I'm curious to read it! :P

Metamania

Let's just let it die. I'll give you a quick synopsis though.

Some guy: Arkham City is soooo boring!

Grammaton: What about it didn't you like? (Displays convincing and genuine reasons it's one of the best games of this generation and a huge improvement over it's predocessor)

Some guy: Grammaton, you're a terrible human being who really needs help.

Grammaton: What? I'm just asking you to be specific.

Some other guy: Yeah Grammaton, I lost alot of respect for you (for intelligenty debating your points, while others throw personal insults at you).

/END THREAD

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 foxhound_fox
Tried watching Burton's 1989 Batman... its been several years, and I take back any statement I made about any movie before Begins. There is no "charm," just nostalgia, vague memories and incredibly slow pacing and terrible special effects. And Nicholson's Joker is terrible. Even Dimaggio's is better. There is a tone about Nolan's films that I like... but I have to say, aside from Ledger's performance, Begins is a much more enjoyable, and "complete" film. I can't wait for Dark Knight Rises. And B/S: Apocalypse was pretty good. Introduced me to several new DC characters. I also stand by my "Marvel focuses too much on superpowers" comment. The majority of Batman's enemies are just psychotics and the mentally ill. There is a certain charm about the lack of super-powers I find more appealing than anything else in the DC/Marvel universes.