Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

lol I don't give a rats ass about the combat challenge or any score because of it. I run those maps quick for some trophies after I beat the game. Some people love it then all the power to you, i'm not trying to pee on anyones parade here I just think some hyperbole is being thrown around in regards to it. GodModeEnabled

I stand by everything I've written about the combat. There are tons of possibilities when factoring all the options and your personal reluctance to mine the engine for deeper nuance is entirely your own choice.

You've freely admitted you have no aspirations to employ the combat beyond the rudimentary level so what exactly is your complaint?

And yes, those Challenge scores do mean something because the only way to achieve those higher scores is to exploit the deeper aspects of the combat, which paradoxically you claim don't exist.

#52 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Spiderman 2 of this generation.BranKetra

This is far, far better than Spiderman 2 ever was, even back in the day when it was intitially released.

#53 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
I am leaving on a week long business trip so no batman for a week. This is goIng to be painful. :( Well I probably won't be on thus thread that much but still please mind spoilers guys.
#54 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I am leaving on a week long business trip so no batman for a week. This is goIng to be painful. :( Well I probably won't be on thus thread that much but still please mind spoilers guys. dvader654

you are the one who spoiled the boss fight for me that made me bail out. :P

#55 Posted by SteelAttack (10520 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am leaving on a week long business trip so no batman for a week. This is goIng to be painful. :( Well I probably won't be on thus thread that much but still please mind spoilers guys. S0lidSnake

It's only fair the spoilers get spoilered.
#56 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17571 posts) -
Have you ever played a certain section of game while smiling because you really liked that part? Well I haven't stopped smiling while playing this game. See? :D
#57 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]I am leaving on a week long business trip so no batman for a week. This is goIng to be painful. :( Well I probably won't be on thus thread that much but still please mind spoilers guys. SteelAttack

It's only fair the spoilers get spoilered.

For the record, I understand the official thread is going to have some spoilers, i was just kidding with dvader.

#58 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
What boss did I spoil? I didn't mention any.
#59 Posted by BranKetra (47758 posts) -

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Spiderman 2 of this generation.Grammaton-Cleric

This is far, far better than Spiderman 2 ever was, even back in the day when it was intitially released.

Exactly. This generation of consoles is a leap from the last one, imo. I understand your enthusiam.
#60 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Spiderman 2 of this generation.BranKetra

Exactly. This generation of consoles is a leap from the last one, imo. I understand your enthusiam.

You want to talk about a leap? Try finding some footage of a game from last generation called Batman: Dark Tomorrow.

It's the Batman equivalent of Superman 64.

#61 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

What boss did I spoil? I didn't mention any.dvader654

you punched a shark in the face.

#62 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
75% through the games main story right now, it really feels like more of Arkham Asylum to me. The more I play it the smaller the world gets and the less impressed I am. Im having a good time but i'm not floored. My random musings on both the sidequests and the main story so far (yes there will be spoilers) Sidequests: [spoiler] Sidequests range heavily in quality. The titan container thing with bane was more or less a fetch style quest, the phone booth killer thing is a run to point A style timed race quest you have in every open world game ever. Albeit both are cleverly disguised as to not appear as such, I feel most of the sidequests in this game are just ways to shoehorn in a ridiculous amount of characters by doing bland sidequests you would have been doing in every other open world game. The mysterious stranger thing is just hunt and fetch symbols nothing good there, stop random beatings on the street are ok I suppose but don't add much. The only ones I enjoy are the riddler related stuff and the mad hatters short little cameo sidequest, the rest are disguised filler. [/spoiler] Main Story: [spoiler] Its decent, if not bloated feeling because of trying to shoehorn so many people into it. Overall its good (which is so rare for a game) but the protocol 10 thing kind of broke my suspension of disbelief. I know, I know its a batman game but I can't easily buy a civilized society buying into the wholesale slaughter of thousands upon thousands of convicted felons. It just seems too implausible to me that this kind of measure got voted in. [/spoiler]
#63 Posted by BranKetra (47758 posts) -
[QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Grammaton-Cleric"]

You want to talk about a leap? Try finding some footage of a game from last generation called Batman: Dark Tomorrow.

It's the Batman equivalent of Superman 64.

I'll pass. I've heard terrible things about last gen's Batman titles. I get the point. You're saying it's a great game and it makes the previous titles look like bootleg versions.
#64 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]What boss did I spoil? I didn't mention any.S0lidSnake

you punched a shark in the face.

Thats not a boss. You think there is a shark boss battle in this game? :lol: That would be awesome though.
#65 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14345 posts) -
#66 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17571 posts) -

Main Story spoiler GodModeEnabled

[spoiler] The society had nothing to do with Protocol 10. One person was responsible for all of it. Also if you buy into the whole "Let's make a city for all the worse criminals in Gotham", then even if the society had something to do with Protocol 10, you shouldn't be complaining. [/spoiler]

#67 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
[spoiler] The society had nothing to do with Protocol 10. One person was responsible for all of it. Also if you buy into the whole "Let's make a city for all the worse criminals in Gotham", then even if the society had something to do with Protocol 10, you shouldn't be complaining. [/spoiler] mrmusicman247
[spoiler] Its still a bill that had to pass by Gotham council, they talk about it in the game. How the "coucil" has enacted protocol 10, how it was some law that was voted on. The idea of which coming from one person but he doesn't exactly make all the laws for the city. Even though Strange had Sharp in his pocket Sharp alone couldn't have passed such a thing all by himself. Something of that measure would have had to been passed by a body of people. They reference a council a few times. [/spoiler]
#68 Posted by mrmusicman247 (17571 posts) -

GodModeEnabled
[spoiler] I'm pretty sure the "council" was the people that Hugo Strange knew. Besides Sharp was the mayor, right? I mean I agree that the people wouldn't condone something like this but as I interpreted it, the people never were even given a choice. [/spoiler]

#69 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

"One word of advice... run!" That had me cheering. So did "Isn't this a school night?", and "Oh, there's only 20 of you? Shame." Jesus Rocksteady, awesome little touches.

#70 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Finished. Seems a little short clocking in under 10 hour mark, but I guess that's about average for this style of game all things considered. Decent story with a good holy **** what just happened ending. Still I destroyed this game in under 3 days, sure am glad I rented it. I got a few more days to ass around and get some riddler stuff and some challenge room trophies but a lot of the other sidequests aren't interesting enough for me personally to bother with. Overall 9/10, on par with the original, awesome ride while it lasts
#71 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Finished. Seems a little short clocking in under 10 hour mark, but I guess that's about average for this style of game all things considered. Decent story with a good holy **** what just happened ending. Still I destroyed this game in under 3 days, sure am glad I rented it. I got a few more days to ass around and get some riddler stuff and some challenge room trophies but a lot of the other sidequests aren't interesting enough for me personally to bother with. Overall 9/10, on par with the original, awesome ride while it lasts

Wow... you hauled balls. I've probably got a good three hours in the game and I haven't even gone to see Mr. Freeze yet. I've been too busy screwing around and picking fights.
#72 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I seriously will never, EVER understand why people haul through games like this. Games like Arhham City come out once every 3-4 years, and although I've been playing it alot, I'm going to take my time with this masterpiece (In fact, I'm only %9 through the story). To each his own I guess.

#73 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
That's just it though I didn't really rush at all, its just short. I did half the sidequests and like 100 riddler related things in this time span as well. I sit down and play for 2-4 hours a shot so it doesn't take too many sittings to see most of the game.
#74 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

That's just it though I didn't really rush at all, its just short. I did half the sidequests and like 100 riddler related things in this time span as well. I sit down and play for 2-4 hours a shot so it doesn't take too many sittings to see most of the game.GodModeEnabled

10 hours? :shock: Seems like you rushed through the game or maybe you meant 20 hours :P Well the game must be damn good if you beat it this fast.

#75 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

This is turning into a Let's all hate on GME thread. :P I sense a meltdown coming..... grabs popcorn.

#76 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

This is turning into a Let's all hate on GME thread. :P I sense a meltdown coming..... grabs popcorn.

S0lidSnake

To be honest, I didn't even know it was GME who said he'd already beaten the game, it was just a general observation I was making. I just skim posts that have anything to do with story progress/bosses, etc. It's just my personal preference to take my time with games I really enjoy -- really appreciate them and soak everything in, especially when they're this good. I can absolutely gaurantee this'll be the best game I play this year, it's already one of the best of the generation in my eyes, flat out.

#77 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Well I mean I can understand if you have fun assing around in the game fighting one big random brawl to the next I got bored of that pretty quick though. Once I caught on that most of the side stuff was what I have been doing in every other game for years now after about half of them I left them too. Snagged about a hundred riddler things along the way boom about 9 hours or something i'm done. It's really short guys. When protocol 10 starts you are at the end of the game. You'll see what I mean when you're done prancing around beating up random dorks :P Edit> just want to mention i'm not trying to hate on this game, its just i'm the only one in this thread who isn't worshiping at its feet which may make it SEEM like I am. I still had a good time and think its a great game if not a liiiitle overated for what it actually is.
#78 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

I tried to play again, the game froze on me again after ten minutes. I suspect I have a bad disk. I am going to return this to Amazon, but it will certainly take them a few days to get me a replacement copy. Downside of ordering online.

#79 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -
I see what you're saying, GME. But the upgrades make this combat system seem so much more varied to me. I'm still attempting to string the perfect combo...and failing at it. BTW, I STILL cannot progress through this game thanks to all of the sidequests. They're too good. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to leave Uncharted unopened when it arrives.
#80 Posted by Gemini_Red (3290 posts) -

I seriously will never, EVER understand why people haul through games like this. Games like Arhham City come out once every 3-4 years, and although I've been playing it alot, I'm going to take my time with this masterpiece (In fact, I'm only %9 through the story). To each his own I guess.

Jbul

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me if I'm really enjoying a game I become obsessed to the point that it becomes greed. So for me, it pretty much like this; "That was fun..more, please! More. More! MORE! Mo-aw..it's over." I've completed the game as well. And yes, holy ****balls it was a cool ending. Now I'll go back and look for stuff I missed, or simply passed by the first time around.

#81 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I tried to play again, the game froze on me again after ten minutes. I suspect I have a bad disk. I am going to return this to Amazon, but it will certainly take them a few days to get me a replacement copy. Downside of ordering online.

CarnageHeart

Sorry if you mentioned this already but did you try deleteing your Game Data file?

Try that first. I was having issues with U2 last week and deleting the game data file worked. (Dont delete the Game Saved Data file ;p_

#82 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

S0lidSnake

Sorry if you mentioned this already but did you try deleteing your Game Data file?

Try that first. I was having issues with U2 last week and deleting the game data file worked. (Dont delete the Game Saved Data file ;p_

I'll give it a shot.
#83 Posted by Gamefan1986 (1317 posts) -

That's just it though I didn't really rush at all, its just short. I did half the sidequests and like 100 riddler related things in this time span as well. I sit down and play for 2-4 hours a shot so it doesn't take too many sittings to see most of the game.GodModeEnabled

I guess you wanted the game to be short, I have 13 hours clocked and the game says I'm only about 30% through the story.

#84 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]That's just it though I didn't really rush at all, its just short. I did half the sidequests and like 100 riddler related things in this time span as well. I sit down and play for 2-4 hours a shot so it doesn't take too many sittings to see most of the game.Gamefan1986

I guess you wanted the game to be short, I have 13 hours clocked and the game says I'm only about 30% through the story.

True that. I've got 8 hours of playtime, and I'm only %13 through the story. I've been busy and having a blast the entire time.

#85 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

CarnageHeart

Where did you order from, and what bonus did you get? I ordered from Gamestop.. the Joker Carnival map is good, but I know for a fact Robin is 10x better.

#86 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
You two realize its all proportionate to how much sidequesting and assing around you do right? :roll: I did not "want the game to be short" that was the length of the main quest more or less. The time will vary wildly for others.
#87 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

You two realize its all proportionate to how much sidequesting and assing around you do right? :roll: I did not "want the game to be short" that was the length of the main quest more or less. The time will vary wildly for others.GodModeEnabled

So does that mean Oblivion should be considered a "6 hour game" because unless you "ass around" , that's theplaytime? I'm curious to see how you judge Skyrim once it comes out, considering from reports, it can be beaten in 3 hours if you don't "ass around".

Right.

#88 Posted by Archangel3371 (15236 posts) -
The game sounds so awesome. I can't wait to pick up my copy soon.
#89 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Anyone noticed how Rocksteady has made Batman darker, more menacing, and generally more bad*** than he already was? He was definitely tough in AA, but he just seems angrier now, which is awesome and benefits the spirit of the game greatly. Kevin Conroy definitely did a better job this time around.

#90 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -

Anyone noticed how Rocksteady has made Batman darker, more menacing, and generally morebad*** than he already was? He was definitelytough in AA, but he just seems angrier now, which benefits the game and the atmosphere of the game greatly. Kevin Conroy knocked it out of the park.

Jbul
I did. His one-liners are classic, total badass lines. I've got to say that one thing we forgot to mention is th musical score. It's phenomenal! I found myself hearing the main theme in my head all day at work.
#91 Posted by johny300 (12494 posts) -
You can now counter 3 people :P. And i really love this game, its better than AA in everyway and played for 6 hours yesterday, i just can't get enough :P. best combo i done so far is 60 combos. i am enjoying this game so much right now, i just love it i love it
#92 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]You two realize its all proportionate to how much sidequesting and assing around you do right? :roll: I did not "want the game to be short" that was the length of the main quest more or less. The time will vary wildly for others.Jbul

So does that mean Oblivion should be considered a "6 hour game" because unless you "ass around" , that's theplaytime? I'm curious to see how you judge Skyrim once it comes out, considering from reports, it can be beaten in 3 hours if you don't "ass around".

Right.

Than its a three hour game then isn't it? If it has a hundred hours of sidequests but only takes me three to finish the game its still a three hour game regardless of the filler thrown on top.
#93 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
On an unrelated note I have been playing the riddlers challenge rooms now that i'm pretty much done with the game proper, and they are awesome. I like how they have each challenge room set into groups of three maps to make one campaign, each campaign has three modifiers from what I have seen two negatives and a positive in each one. They act like the skulls in Halo where you can have regenerating health but then less health for one map, or enemies are armed better or whatever. You have to use each modifier per campaign but can spread them out amongst the three maps as you like. They are lots of awesome! Check out this mode for sure its a lot of fun.
#94 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Finished. Seems a little short clocking in under 10 hour mark, but I guess that's about average for this style of game all things considered. Decent story with a good holy **** what just happened ending. Still I destroyed this game in under 3 days, sure am glad I rented it. I got a few more days to ass around and get some riddler stuff and some challenge room trophies but a lot of the other sidequests aren't interesting enough for me personally to bother with. Overall 9/10, on par with the original, awesome ride while it lasts

I played for 10 hours on the first two days and I am nowhere close to finishing. I know you rented it so you had to rush. What is your percentage?
#95 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]On an unrelated note I have been playing the riddlers challenge rooms now that i'm pretty much done with the game proper, and they are awesome. I like how they have each challenge room set into groups of three maps to make one campaign, each campaign has three modifiers from what I have seen two negatives and a positive in each one. They act like the skulls in Halo where you can have regenerating health but then less health for one map, or enemies are armed better or whatever. You have to use each modifier per campaign but can spread them out amongst the three maps as you like. They are lots of awesome! Check out this mode for sure its a lot of fun.

It was the best part of AA for me so yeah they are fun. I was ranked in the top 3 in a few of the predator maps in AA, I plan to assault the rankings in this game as well.
#96 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
53% or something overall not too bad. The challenge rooms are even better this time around the way they have them setup, the extra bit of strategy you have to put into them is a nice change of pace. As usual I fumble my way through the combat ones cause I find them yawn but devour the stealth ones, come to daddy!
#97 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
53% or something overall not too bad. The challenge rooms are even better this time around the way they have them setup, the extra bit of strategy you have to put into them is a nice change of pace. As usual I fumble my way through the combat ones cause I find them yawn but devour the stealth ones, come to daddy!GodModeEnabled
Stealth is better than the combat but you are still selling the combat so short. One day you may see the light.
#98 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

53% or something overall not too bad. The challenge rooms are even better this time around the way they have them setup, the extra bit of strategy you have to put into them is a nice change of pace. As usual I fumble my way through the combat ones cause I find them yawn but devour the stealth ones, come to daddy!GodModeEnabled

lol i had the same opinion when i first played Batman AA. LOVED the Stealth challenge rooms, but hated the combat ones. It just didnt click..... until a couple of months ago when I tried the Hard difficulty and was forced to learn it. Went back and completed all the challenges and got my platinum.... it was awesome.

#99 Posted by Travo_basic (38751 posts) -

I've played a big chunk of this game today and made it past my second official boss. How can a sequel be so much better than a game I already considered my GOTY back in 2009? There's never a shortage of jaw dropping moments, like in the World of Wonder. I'm having trouble finding a fault with this one....ok, here's one, Strange's PSA is annoying.

I love, LOVE stalking bad guys. It's such an empowering feeling to swoop down and pick them off one by one, especially when they have new toys to play with as well. Stealth or a straight on fight? You choose. GOTY, so far? Hell yes!

[spoiler] The moment with Bane was especially cool today. I fought with Bane! [/spoiler]

What is everyone's trophy count so far? I've collected about 140. Anyone going for all of them?

#100 Posted by MirkoS77 (6975 posts) -

I've played a big chunk of this game today and made it past my second official boss. How can a sequel be so much better than a game I already considered my GOTY back in 2009? There's never a shortage of jaw dropping moments, like in the World of Wonder. I'm having trouble finding a fault with this one....ok, here's one, Strange's PSA is annoying.

I love, LOVE stalking bad guys. It's such an empowering feeling to swoop down and pick them off one by one, especially when they have new toys to play with as well. Stealth or a straight on fight? You choose. GOTY, so far? Hell yes!

What is everyone's trophy count so far? I've collected about 140. Anyone going for all of them?

Travo_basic

Around 40-50. I'm terrible with puzzles and will probably have to end up using a guide. I'm just having a blast flying around and finding things to do.