Batman: Arkham City Official Thread -- Harley Quinn DLC/GOTY Edition Out Now!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by MirkoS77 (8188 posts) -

I'm having a hard time on NG+, maybe you guys can help. Namely on how to take out the armored guards with the signal disruptor packs in predator sections. How do I do this? I can't glide kick them as they just block it. They break free from silent takedowns. I try ledge takedowns but as my detective vision is screwed I can't see anybody and end up hanging only to be spotted before I can pull the guy off the ledge. Inverted takedown doesn't work either. The only thing I can think of is a beatdown, but the amount of time it takes to do leaves me a sitting duck to get shot up to all hell, and as it's NG+ I can only take a few shots at most. Even if I wait and isolate them it does no good.

And I was doing OK with the fighting in the beginning, but it's becoming a B!TCH now. There's a lot more variety to the enemies, the knife guys are very hard to spot until they're chopping you up, there's tons of armored guys, gun racks that they run to, and they throw a lot more objects. And they're faster and no counter icons to boot. I used to rely a lot on takedowns but am now finding I can't even get a four-hit combo started to be able to do one. Man it's kicking my ass. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it. I'm on the way to Raz's and am NOT looking forward to that big fight with Joker on the tracks later on.

#502 Posted by foxhound_fox (90601 posts) -
Fire that EMP gun at them, it disables the pack temporarily. As far as I can remember, a silent takedown is the only way to knock them out (which also busts the pack).
#503 Posted by foxhound_fox (90601 posts) -
People should play Arkham Asylum first... not because of story, it was the better game IMO.lamprey263
Better action-adventure. Worse "Batman" game.
#504 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I'm having a hard time on NG+, maybe you guys can help. Namely on how to take out the armored guards with the signal disruptor packs in predator sections. How do I do this? I can't glide kick them as they just block it. They break free from silent takedowns. I try ledge takedowns but as my detective vision is screwed I can't see anybody and end up hanging only to be spotted before I can pull the guy off the ledge. Inverted takedown doesn't work either. The only thing I can think of is a beatdown, but the amount of time it takes to do leaves me a sitting duck to get shot up to all hell, and as it's NG+ I can only take a few shots at most. Even if I wait and isolate them it does no good.

And I was doing OK with the fighting in the beginning, but it's becoming a B!TCH now. There's a lot more variety to the enemies, the knife guys are very hard to spot until they're chopping you up, there's tons of armored guys, gun racks that they run to, and they throw a lot more objects. And they're faster and no counter icons to boot. I used to rely a lot on takedowns but am now finding I can't even get a four-hit combo started to be able to do one. Man it's kicking my ass. I don't know if I'm going to be able to finish it. I'm on the way to Raz's and am NOT looking forward to that big fight with Joker on the tracks later on.

MirkoS77

Like Fox said, use the EMP gun on them. But tbh, you shouldn;t have to. Their location is always given away by that indicator, simply take them out first. You CAN take them out using Inverted takedowns, ledge takdowns and any other kind of takedown except for silent takedown. Remmeber the EMP gunshots throw armored guys , see if they are close to a ledge, go behind them or even try shooting at them from a vantage point, and shoot them with an EMP shot. Simple.

As for the combat sections, just vault over enemies instead of trying to figure out when to counter. Vaulting over enemies should also open up the combat field as well. Use the ice freeze or batarangs to take people out quickly. if you are having problems with weapons, use the Disarm and Destroy combo. Batman will destroy any weapons or shields with that combo. Combat is easy, dont give up.

#505 Posted by meetroid8 (21140 posts) -
I just can't bring myself to finish this game. I love the atmosphere ans stealth sequences, but i just can't stand the constant horde fights. Every boss battle is ruined by them I played up until the Joker fight and then I just turned the game off. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime, but for now I'm going to play games I actually enjoy. Strange, I liked Asylum pretty well.
#506 Posted by foxhound_fox (90601 posts) -
There was also that one special combo move I found really effective in NG+ with the bat swarm (was it X + A?). And the B + Y combo was also extremely effective for me. Once I got into the groove of getting 3x combo hits, it became an extremely effective weapon against those armored grunts.
#507 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

There was also that one special combo move I found really effective in NG+ with the bat swarm (was it X + A?). And the B + Y combo was also extremely effective for me. Once I got into the groove of getting 3x combo hits, it became an extremely effective weapon against those armored grunts.foxhound_fox

They A+B combo is the best takedown combo out there since it is the only one that will take down multiple enemies. The only catch being that they have to be on the ground.

#508 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

I just can't bring myself to finish this game. I love the atmosphere ans stealth sequences, but i just can't stand the constant horde fights. Every boss battle is ruined by them I played up until the Joker fight and then I just turned the game off. Maybe I'll go back to it sometime, but for now I'm going to play games I actually enjoy. Strange, I liked Asylum pretty well.meetroid8

Don't give up. The ending is well worth going through the game.

#509 Posted by 239923210228658420598666142288 (364 posts) -

I have just started playing this game and boy how much i am loving it.

#510 Posted by KeredsBlaze (2049 posts) -
[QUOTE="lamprey263"]People should play Arkham Asylum first... not because of story, it was the better game IMO.foxhound_fox
Better action-adventure. Worse "Batman" game.

no way was it a better game
#511 Posted by foxhound_fox (90601 posts) -
no way was it a better gameKeredsBlaze
No, it wasn't. Like I said, it was a better paced action-adventure, but it didn't fully capture the "Batman" atmosphere. City does that with some to spare. You might prefer the first, but the second is a better game, period.
#512 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Just picked up the Robin Pack, and he's awesome. Anyone have any tips for dealing with those one armed guys with the sickles? With Batman, you can freeze-grenade them and handle the rest of the room, but with Robin, Nightwing, and possibly Catwoman, I dont see any options except continuous dodging and countering. Just a real tough time.

#513 Posted by MirkoS77 (8188 posts) -

Just picked up the Robin Pack, and he's awesome. Anyone have any tips for dealing with those one armed guys with the sickles? With Batman, you can freeze-grenade them and handle the rest of the room, but with Robin, Nightwing, and possibly Catwoman, I dont see any options except continuous dodging and countering. Just a real tough time.

Jbul

El Z probably can tell you better than I, but what I do is just keep vaulting and work up a massive combo. He's fairly slow so it's easy to get 10+ hits on one sidebefore he turns and attacks. Only problem is watching out for thugs trying to hit you and countering them while you wail on him. I just vault, beatdown until he's about to attack, vault, repeat ad nauseam until he's done.

#514 Posted by GHO5T- (419 posts) -
I recently platinumed it. Amazing game.
#515 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

MirkoS77

El Z probably can tell you better than I, but what I do is just keep vaulting and work up a massive combo. He's fairly slow so it's easy to get 10+ hits on one sidebefore he turns and attacks. Only problem is watching out for thugs trying to hit you and countering them while you wail on him. I just vault, beatdown until he's about to attack, vault, repeat ad nauseam until he's done.

That's what I do against those guys. If the thugs come in to attack you, I quickly vault over them, then come back to the guys with the sickles and keep on hammering away. It's the best way to deal with them for the other characters, IMO.

#516 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6045 posts) -

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Metamania

That's what I do against those guys. If the thugs come in to attack you, I quickly vault over them, then come back to the guys with the sickles and keep on hammering away. It's the best way to deal with them for the other characters, IMO.

Funny, I never knew you could freeze those guys. But just like the others said: beatdown, dodge around behind him, beatdown, repeat. Just remember- focus on the lieutenant, and if any other thugs attack, dodge to the other side of the lietenant- his swipe will deal with the thugs by the bucketload. 50 hits later, he's toast, and if you're quick and careful, you can swing it without a scratch. If you're playing the Joker's Carnival, try to beatdown the Joker before you make level five(which spawns the Sickle-wielding lieutenant). Dealing with the Joker(who appears as soon as you score a 100+ combo), and a lieutenant at the same time can really cramp your score.
#517 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Finished this game last week and it went straight on my list of best games I have ever played

#518 Posted by KHAndAnime (14624 posts) -
On the PC, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen with all the settings maxed.
#519 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

On the PC, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen with all the settings maxed. KHAndAnime

Completely agree. The lighting almost gave me an orgasm :P

#520 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -

Finished this game last week and it went straight on my list of best games I have ever played

seanmcloughlin
Huh, when I played it it went straight on my list of the most disappointing games I have ever played. Hell, it took the #1 spot
#521 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

PaffDADDY

Huh, when I played it it went straight on my list of the most disappointing games I have ever played. Hell, it took the #1 spot

That cos of the blue cape? :roll:

If you think that Batman AC is a bad game or most disappointing ever then you're not allowed play games anymore

#522 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="PaffDADDY"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

That cos of the blue cape? :roll:

If you think that Batman AC is a bad game or most disappointing ever then you're not allowed play games anymore

lol, nope. Here's what begins to explain what's wrong with Arkham City: This isn't about instigating anything, or complaining about Batman's purple cape and cowl. I'm just gonna list what I truly believe are flaws that Arkham City has. First and foremost, I didn't like the plot or script. Dialouge felt cliche, and sometimes so cheesy it was cringe worthy. The story was convuluted for even someone like me who is more of the average Batfan. The love interest, Talia, wasn't a character that was fleshed out when she should've been. Hell, most of the characters are very shallow and under developed, the only exceptions would be Joker, Harley, and Penguin. I'd even go so far to say that Batman is a shallow character in Arkham City. I think if Paul Dini devised a plot for the game that didn't involve the League of Assassins whatsoever, it would've been a better game. Also, the dialogue/writing wasn't anything to brag home about either, it just wasn't there. I didn't like the armored thugs and how you have to defeat the Titan Henchmen now, but those are much more minor gripes. I was really disappointed with Two Face's involvement with the game, and I was also letdown of the lack of interaction between Batman and Catwoman, and to lesser extent, Batman and Robin. Catwoman's missions added nothing to the game, if anything, they just made the overall status/rating of Arkham City drop. The gameplay was clunky, here 'thief vision' had very little visibility, her missions came up through the story in very strange intervals, and her parts added nothing to the overall story. The story wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't for the hinting, and completely giving away of the plot twists in the end of the game. The way Rocksteady hinted at it so much, I either predicted/foreshadowed right or just flat out knew exactly what was going to happen. I knew that Ras Al Ghul was Hugo Strange's master when you first entered the main gate area where Hugo Strange reveals who he is working with, I knew it was Ras Al Ghul then. And I knew that there was a Clayface Joker as soon as Batman woke up after being gassed and Joker dying was predictable in of itself. Anyway, the only thing that was even close to a surprise I got in the story was from Talia dying. I don't think Arkham City's story ever had the potential to be truly great anyway, but the plot points could've been executed a lot better which would've made Arkham City a much better game. Hitler and Stalin could've been lesser d!cks to each other than Freeze and Bats, it just seemed so unwarranted. Their confrontation at the Museum and GCPD just felt so forced just to set up the boss battle(a good one though, by far the best in the game) And I thought a lot of the boss fights were pretty "meh", the Grundy and Two Face boss battles made the Titan Joker boss battle look great. There are many glitches in Arkham City. Audio glitches are consistently prevalent at times, aiming the batclaw will produce an annoying static-y sound. The cape(Batman and Robin's) sways in awkward ways that it's not intended to do, like when Batman is sitting on a gargoyle inside of a Predator room. Some glitches have been retained for Arkham Asylum too, pop in textures are present much more(In AA, pop in only occured the first few seconds after starting a challenge map or just continuing the story), but what is absolutely unexcusable is the ground and pound glitch that hasn't been fixed. The playable character will hit downed enemies in the a$$ or groin instead of the head half of the time you try the ground takedown. I thought that the combo Bat swarm and combo multi takedown shouldn't have been implemented the way they were, or just taken out of the game all together. I loved the hell out of Arkham Asylum, and it everything in the game wasn't absolutely perfect. But I was so satisfied with the feeling of being 'The God Damn Batman' that I easily overlooked any of its few shortcomings. I was anticipating AC so much, that I had unreasonably high expectations. I wanted it to be better than AA, I thought it would be better than AA, but once I seen the end credits roll I thought. "Did I get a 'spoof' copy of the game? Is this the game that's getting an unbelievable amout of praise?" I still can't believe it, it seems surreal when personally kind of hate the game but everyone else who has played it loves it. Damn, I wish I could like it for what it is.
#523 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -
Why can't I paragraph on this forum? 0_O
#524 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

Why can't I paragraph on this forum? 0_OPaffDADDY

Maybe because you didn't press Enter on your keyboard? :roll:

#525 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -
Shut the hell up, obviously I did :p
#526 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

Shut the hell up, obviously I did :pPaffDADDY

No. Not really. Otherwise, we wouldn't be seeing that wall of text.

Anyway, take your crap somewhere else. It's unnecessary.

#527 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -

[QUOTE="PaffDADDY"]Shut the hell up, obviously I did :pMetamania

Wow, now your telling me how I typed it. I pressed enter here, it appears double spaced and the moment I'm tryping this reply. I pressed enter again, I wonder how it will apear when I press submit? Now I pressed enter 5 times, at the moment I can see a lot of space between my last sentence and this one. Why can't I paragraph? Why can't I image link? Why can't I url link? This forum just sucks, senile people with a senile system.
#528 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="PaffDADDY"]Shut the hell up, obviously I did :pMetamania

Yeah he's right. Paragraphing works fine for me.

see?

Also edit it and paragraph it if you need to.

Either way im not reading it because this guy is right. Take your crap elsewhere. We all know how you feel about the game already

#529 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Shut the hell up, obviously I did :pPaffDADDY

see?

Either way im not reading it because this guy is right. Take your crap elsewhere. We all know how you feel about the game already

I do edit it, nothing happens with the text. And it was right the first time, I wonder if copying and pasting has something to do with it? Anyways, just try to read it.
#530 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

PaffDADDY

see?

I do edit it, nothing happens with the text. And it was right the first time, I wonder if copying and pasting has something to do with it? Anyways, just try to read it.

I have and most of the problems you had with it are personal things and nothing wrong with the fundamentals of the game itself.

I got the ending of clayface spoiled for me before I played it but did I enjoy the game any less? not one bit.

#531 Posted by PaffDADDY (111 posts) -
All right, I see that I've done enough to try to inform all of you. This is my last post, so I just want to say. Batman had a jet black cape in Arkham Asylum, in Arkham City it sure ain't black. I would bet my life on it, easily. So goodbye, I'm logging off for the last time.
#532 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

All right, I see that I've done enough to try to inform all of you. This is my last post, so I just want to say. Batman had a jet black cape in Arkham Asylum, in Arkham City it sure ain't black. I would bet my life on it, easily. So goodbye, I'm logging off for the last time. PaffDADDY

LEAVE! Be gone...jesus.

#533 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

I agree. Changing the cape from black to blue ruined Arkham City the same way changing Nate's shirt from white to green ruined Uncharted 3, giving Mario short sleeves ruined Super MarioSunshine,and giving Ezio a beard ruined Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

#534 Posted by MirkoS77 (8188 posts) -
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

PaffDADDY

And here it comes. Dude, edit your wall. You obviously are capable of making paragraphs as evidenced by your first sentence being separate from the rest.
#535 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

All right, I see that I've done enough to try to inform all of you. This is my last post, so I just want to say. Batman had a jet black cape in Arkham Asylum, in Arkham City it sure ain't black. I would bet my life on it, easily. So goodbye, I'm logging off for the last time. PaffDADDY

You say this over and over like other people care or that it's some secret no one has noticed. No one gives a solitary F*** about it. at all. Seriously. It could be pink and I would still love the game for being rock solid. Play as the alternate costumes if it bugs you so much. My God.

And I knew you would say it again. Such an idiot

#536 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I hate Batman Arkham City.

Because it gave us PaffDaddy.

#537 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

S0lidSnake

He really is a big whiner. The stuff he complains about are so meaningless.

I love Arkham City cos it gave us catwomans ass :P

#538 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

seanmcloughlin

She's really hot in Arkham City, for sure. Meow...

#539 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Metamania

They did a great job on her character. Made her sexy as F*** with a killer ass. But also made her a badass and very empowered with a lot of sassiness. Pretty much exactly how she is supposed to be. They nailed it.

Maybe in a longer game with more of her in it we could get some more vulnerability from her at some points but I loved her character in AC

#540 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

They did a great job on her character. Made her sexy as F*** with a killer ass. But also made her a badass and very empowered with a lot of sassiness. Pretty much exactly how she is supposed to be. They nailed it.

Maybe in a longer game with more of her in it we could get some more vulnerability from her at some points but I loved her character in AC

Yeah, I was hoping to have more than just...what, four episodes of her story? It would have been nice, so I hope it's something that Rocksteady works on. I did enjoy her story a lot and taking on the last boss in her game was frustrating, but challenging at the same time.

#541 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6045 posts) -
I liked that they really gave her an identity of her own, with her own traversal method and all. I'm just hoping they do something similar with Robin and Nightwing -adding DLC episodes and really fleshing them out as characters in their own right, rather than just leaving them as novelties for the challenge modes.
#542 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

I liked that they really gave her an identity of her own, with her own traversal method and all. I'm just hoping they do something similar with Robin and Nightwing -adding DLC episodes and really fleshing them out as characters in their own right, rather than just leaving them as novelties for the challenge modes.El_Zo1212o

Nightwing, sure, but please don't forget; Robin was also part of the storyline in Arkham City, if only briefly. It was nice to see an appearance out of him. Just wish it would have been longer than in one scene.

#543 Posted by TheFallenDemon (13933 posts) -

Personally, I want to see a vampire Batman DLC based on the comic Batman: Red Rain.

#544 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6045 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]I liked that they really gave her an identity of her own, with her own traversal method and all. I'm just hoping they do something similar with Robin and Nightwing -adding DLC episodes and really fleshing them out as characters in their own right, rather than just leaving them as novelties for the challenge modes.Metamania

Nightwing, sure, but please don't forget; Robin was also part of the storyline in Arkham City, if only briefly. It was nice to see an appearance out of him. Just wish it would have been longer than in one scene.

Always liked Robin better than Batman(I'm just a sidekick-y kinda guy(so go to hell, Fenix- everyone knows it's all about Dom)), so I'd never forget Robin's appearance, but it was just too... idunno, flash-in-the-pan, I guess? In any event, at least one scene with Robin fighting back-to-back with the Bat would've been awesome, although that would likely have been a mess for the same reason they omitted Co-op; with two such powerful heroes breaking heads at the same time, it would wreak havoc on the ability to score well.
#545 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]I liked that they really gave her an identity of her own, with her own traversal method and all. I'm just hoping they do something similar with Robin and Nightwing -adding DLC episodes and really fleshing them out as characters in their own right, rather than just leaving them as novelties for the challenge modes.El_Zo1212o

Always liked Robin better than Batman(I'm just a sidekick-y kinda guy(so go to hell, Fenix- everyone knows it's all about Dom)), so I'd never forget Robin's appearance, but it was just too... idunno, flash-in-the-pan, I guess? In any event, at least one scene with Robin fighting back-to-back with the Bat would've been awesome, although that would likely have been a mess for the same reason they omitted Co-op; with two such powerful heroes breaking heads at the same time, it would wreak havoc on the ability to score well.

While I'm glad they made improvements to the single-player campaign and hope they continue to do so in the next game, I am definitely hoping for some kind of co-op? Maybe in predator challenges or in combat. That would rule!

#546 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Thanks for the advice, guys. It worked well, and I just passed FunHouse Brawl with Robin today. Good stuff. I have been playing other, newer games, but going back to AC today I realized what a huge step up this game is from everything else I was playing. It sounds weird, but this game serves as a recent reminder to me as to why I play videogames. Utterly enthralling.

#547 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6045 posts) -

Thanks for the advice, guys. It worked well, and I just passed FunHouse Brawl with Robin today. Good stuff. I have been playing other, newer games, but going back to AC today I realized what a huge step up this game is from everything else I was playing. It sounds weird, but this game serves as a recent reminder to me as to why I play videogames. Utterly enthralling.

Jbul
I've said before that I think Arkham City is just about the perfect videogame for one reason- it's like playing with digital action figures. The different characters, the different costumes and game modes- all around excellent.
#548 Posted by Metamania (12025 posts) -

I think I may have to start work on getting a couple of more achievements, most notably beating the game on NG+. Do any of the boss fights change, as in do the difficulty get harder too? I've heard something about using completely different tactics on Mr. Freeze on NG+ than on Normal difficulty.

#549 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I think I may have to start work on getting a couple of more achievements, most notably beating the game on NG+. Do any of the boss fights change, as in do the difficulty get harder too? I've heard something about using completely different tactics on Mr. Freeze on NG+ than on Normal difficulty.

Metamania

On NG+, you have to use all nine takedown moves on Mr. Freeze. It makes it even more awesome.

Game is pretty easy on NG+. Especially if you have mastered the combo and predator challenges. The only thing that could throw you off is the lack of counter prompts, but learn to anticipate them and you should be ok.

#550 Posted by RandoIph (2041 posts) -
I was going to buy this game, but I have it on good authority his cape and cowl are purplish blue, and that's a deal breaker for me.