Bad Games With Good Stories

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Mostly_Normal (252 posts) -

What are some games that you think are bad, but have pretty decent stories?

#2 Posted by XaosII (16610 posts) -

I think some of my answers depend on the definition of "bad game" but i think Arx Fatalis had poor game mechanics with a very interesting setting and a good story.

I'd argue that Planescape: Torment is not very good as a game based on its mechanics but it does have an amazing story. Probably one of the few games where the story dictated the game's mechanics. What kind of game makes you immortal - mechanically - based on the story and not for contrived reasons?

Divinity: Dragon Commander may be a more recent example. Its a mediocre game at best, but it does have very interesting story-shaping mechanics. Its story elements are probably better than its gameplay by quite a bit.

#3 Posted by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

One that jumps to mind is Advent Rising. Wasn't received real well, but I really want to know what happens next (it was supposed to be a trilogy, I think). I really enjoyed fighting my way off earth as it was being destroyed...just so much attention to detail really brought that portion of the game to life. Overall, the story kept me glued to the finish whereas the gameplay was pretty pedestrian.

And now that i'm thinking about it, Alpha Protocol. Gameplay was undercooked, but all the choices you could make and seeing the way they affected the outcome kept me coming back over and over.

#4 Posted by Shmiity (5146 posts) -

Deadly Premonition, absolutely. Very touching. Also, Silent Hill as a whole is kind of crappy, but the stories are so touching, how can you not like them?

#5 Edited by Jag85 (4599 posts) -

I guess a lot of Visual Novel games would probably fall into this category, since the gameplay in most of them consist of little more than making choices on what to say or do. But because the gameplay is so limited and the focus is on the interactive storytelling, they usually have the most well-written interactive narratives, along with meaningful choices that actually have a big impact on how the story unfolds.

#6 Posted by Mesomorphin (826 posts) -

TellTale's The walking dead. Great story sure, but man terrible graphics, glitchy and buggy...erghh

#7 Posted by HipHopBeats (2903 posts) -

Mass Effect 1. Stellar sci-fi story but the combat and driving the Mako across mountainous terrain, which seems to be damn near every planet you land on sucks ass. Assassin's Creed 1 is another game with a great story but horrible, monotonous gameplay.

#8 Posted by marcheegsr (2836 posts) -

@Shmiity said:

Deadly Premonition, absolutely.

This. Highly recommend this game just for the story.

#9 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: The gameplay wasn' terrible in AC 1. It just seemed repititive and that's all.

#10 Posted by Minishdriveby (10015 posts) -

@marcheegsr said:

@Shmiity said:

Deadly Premonition, absolutely.

This. Highly recommend this game just for the story.

I also highly recommend everyone watch Twin Peaks before playing Deadly Premonition.

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

Any Role Playing Game will do. Except for the RPGs that do have good gameplay.

And don't you want good games with good stories ?

Even more troubling is I'm the 1st to question your request.

#12 Posted by HipHopBeats (2903 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I think you're over analyzing the OP. Most likely this thread is just food for thought for subjective critiques. Who wouldn't want to play good games with good stories?

@geniobastardo: AC 1 was a chore to finish any way you cut it, bottom line. Repetitive gameplay = boring.

#13 Posted by Sushiglutton (5335 posts) -

Spec Ops the Line comes to mind. Gameplay wasn't bad, just incredibly unoriginal. Story was clever though. Another example is Binary Domain which was a similarily uninspired TPS, but with some interesting story ideas. It didn't play that bad though and had some cool Robot design and fun setpieces.

#14 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13654 posts) -

@ HipHopBeats

Ofcourse.... Tis my Nature. ;)

#15 Edited by hshaidar (14 posts) -

for me it's Knight Online. But i had many friends there it my good story.

#16 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6029 posts) -

Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

Crap fps(mostly for me because I hate WWII shooters). But the opening cutscene set the scene perfectly for a Nazi-Invasion-of-the-States picture. Too bad it was a game instead of a movie.

#17 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

@mesomorphin said:

TellTale's The walking dead. Great story sure, but man terrible graphics, glitchy and buggy...erghh

Have to disagree with you there I love The Walking dead's comic-like graphics(though The wolf among us is simply amazing to look at), and I've never really had any bugs in this game(season 1 or 2). I play on PC(with a HD 6970) so maybe that's why.

#18 Posted by 10854 (109 posts) -

Ah, why can't I think of any now. Oh well great topic! Maybe some titles will come to me.

#19 Posted by Mesomorphin (826 posts) -

@t1striker said:

@mesomorphin said:

Have to disagree with you there I love The Walking dead's comic-like graphics(though The wolf among us is simply amazing to look at), and I've never really had any bugs in this game(season 1 or 2). I play on PC(with a HD 6970) so maybe that's why.

Yeah I totally agree on the visual aesthetics, the comic style artstyle works really well! I was referring more to the technical side, its very squarey. I've also noticed a fair bit of slow down too.

#20 Edited by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: in a way, it was boring but not necessarily bad as you seem to have stated.