Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag Reviews

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Gamespot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZb8Cnd8OUs

CVG review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVz-i_74fw

Rev3Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_02nfldGoA

IGN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUs7qUzP4GU

Machinima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-F80kLX5o

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Beat me to the punch! Was about to post this! Looks like another solid installment in the series. My dilemma is this, do I pick up the game today or wait for the next version!?

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

@Areez: If you live in America, you'll just have to wait 2 weeks(?) for PS4. We that live in Europe will have to wait 2 additional weeks.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Last_Ride

It's hinted that the game might go to these places in AC 5,

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#5  Edited By FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

Interesting. I hopped out of this series at Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and even that I did not finish. I do enjoy where they are taking these games though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@FamilyGuyFan507 said:

Interesting. I hopped out of this series at Assassins Creed Brotherhood, and even that I did not finish. I do enjoy where they are taking these games though.

You should at least finish that and Revelations. Those have such good stories

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#7  Edited By FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

@The_Last_Ride: The problem with me, actually, was the storyline, or at least the flow from gameplay to story. Often times, at least for the sake of being different, the story felt extremely out there. Black Flag being critically successful in its early stages bodes well for me attempting to retry out the franchise.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@FamilyGuyFan507 said:

@The_Last_Ride: The problem with me, actually, was the storyline, or at least the flow from gameplay to story. Often times, at least for the sake of being different, the story felt extremely out there. Black Flag being critically successful in its early stages bodes well for me attempting to retry out the franchise.

I liked doing all the assassinations and recruiting assassins. But i don't know if it just me. But only doing the story isn't the way it is meant to play

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9  Edited By UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I only played Assassin's Creed II and I thought it was a great game. But then Ubisoft began whoring out the series with yearly installments and I was done. I just don't want annual installments of any game. I didn't give a shit about Brotherhood, Revelations or Assassin's Creed III. But I am interested in Black Flag. I suppose enough time has gone by to make me want another Assassin's Creed game and this one really seems to be very different. So yeah, I'm probably getting Black Flag. And I pretty much decided that just now. Pretty surprising.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Gamespot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZb8Cnd8OUs

CVG review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGVz-i_74fw

Rev3Games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_02nfldGoA

IGN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUs7qUzP4GU

Machinima

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn-F80kLX5o

Not surprised but not convinced either, i smell a rat and a bottle of rum in some of those reviews.

But still 3 weeks until pc release so i will find out myself then.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i haven't played an AC game since the first one, but reading the GS review of black flag makes me realize how lost i am in the series now. there was a lot about sailing, looting, and generally just being a pirate, but seemingly no mention of, you know, assassinating. did i miss something or is assassinating no longer a thing in assassin's creed? :P

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

The pirate bits look great and I may pick up AC for just that part sooner rather than later, but storywise I have the sense that AC is like X-Files (or to use a videogame example, Legacy of Kain) in that the developers don't seem to have an endgame, they are just stretching everything out up until the series becomes unprofitable, at which point they will struggle to weave together all of the strands in one or two games.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jacanuk

@LoG-Sacrament said:

i haven't played an AC game since the first one, but reading the GS review of black flag makes me realize how lost i am in the series now. there was a lot about sailing, looting, and generally just being a pirate, but seemingly no mention of, you know, assassinating. did i miss something or is assassinating no longer a thing in assassin's creed? :P

Yep, as in ACIII they have moved away from the whole Assassin vs Abstergo/Iluminati concept and now just use the animus to jump into someone elses life. Because it has to be there or they would be able to use the Assassin Creed name and ripoff the fans.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 The_Last_Ride

@UpInFlames said:

I only played Assassin's Creed II and I thought it was a great game. But then Ubisoft began whoring out the series with yearly installments and I was done. I just don't want annual installments of any game. I didn't give a shit about Brotherhood, Revelations or Assassin's Creed III. But I am interested in Black Flag. I suppose enough time has gone by to make me want another Assassin's Creed game and this one really seems to be very different. So yeah, I'm probably getting Black Flag. And I pretty much decided that just now. Pretty surprising.

I agree not supporting annual releases. It showed in AC III but the Ezio trilogy is excellent

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@_Judas_: This is true, I do only have to wait two more weeks....that settles it....I m waiting:-)

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Turns out I have like 200,000 Gamestop rewards points attached to my Gamestop card, and I can use those point to get stuff, similar to Club Nintendo. One of the things I can get is a fifty dollar off coupon, which would make the cost of any of these multiplat next gen games a whopping ten bucks for me. So I'm now keeping tabs on this one, a commercial that played on the TV at Gamestop when I was there the other day suddenly made me actually take notice of Black Flag, so I'm encouraged that it's being so well received pretty much everywhere.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Bunch of hypocrites.They trashed batman for being "too much of the same" while praising AC,a franchise that's being sucked dry with annual releases.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#18  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I feel the series is to whored out. May look into it when it drops a few $$

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacanuk

@ShepardCommandr said:

Bunch of hypocrites.They trashed batman for being "too much of the same" while praising AC,a franchise that's being sucked dry with annual releases.

Ehhhhmmmmm one thing you can't criticize AC for is being more of the same. So i don't get this comment.

But Gamespot´s reviews is all over the place and there doesn't seem to be any connection between the reviews.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By UpInFlames

@CarnageHeart said:

The pirate bits look great and I may pick up AC for just that part sooner rather than later, but storywise I have the sense that AC is like X-Files (or to use a videogame example, Legacy of Kain) in that the developers don't seem to have an endgame, they are just stretching everything out up until the series becomes unprofitable, at which point they will struggle to weave together all of the strands in one or two games.

I hated the overarching story concept since it was first revealed. They should've went the Grand Theft Auto route, each game having a completely self-contained world and story. Instead, every Assassin's Creed game has the same stupid crutch.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By UpInFlames

@ShepardCommandr said:

You would've had a point if you said this about any of the prior games, but Black Flag looks completely different.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

@UpInFlames said:

@CarnageHeart said:

I hated the overarching story concept since it was first revealed. They should've went the Grand Theft Auto route, each game having a completely self-contained world and story. Instead, every Assassin's Creed game has the same stupid crutch.

I almost agree if it wasn't because Assassin Creed was never supposed to be a yearly release franchise. I still remember the two org. developers and their plans for AC and if i recall i think they said it was never going to be anything but a trilogy. It´s sad that they are not working on these games anymore and their orginal plans was destroyed by a greed Ubisoft who have gone from AAA to EA.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

This one looks really cool. I might try it

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#24 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Wow. GameSpot gave it a nine. That is assuring.

contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I cannot complain, the game cost me 54.99 and it came with a free copy of AC Revelations. So I got two games for less than the price of a single new one. Neither are used by the way, it was a deal they had and a pretty sweet one if you ask me.

Here are my impressions so far...

The game kicks off interestingly enough with a naval battle in the middle of a storm, what happens next is actually a pretty cool setup for the events following this battle. You aren't stuck playing through 5 hours of tedium in order to open up the world and don the Assassin's robes, this happens within the first hour of playtime. You'll find the world is brimming with stuff to do right off the bat. Edward Kenway is an instantly likeable character and if you took issue with Conner and were worried, don't be.

Naval battles are handled really well, swinging the camera to the side of the ship will allow you to use the cannons, looking straight ahead will allow you to use the chain shot and looking behind will allow you to drop barrels which you can then shoot with your swivel guns when enemy ships get near. This system is incredibly intuitive and creates a seamless experience that is certainly an improvement over AC3. Boarding ships is also seamless. I thought this would be done in a cutscene of some sort but it's not, it all takes place in real time as you play. You can use the swivel gun once boarding has been initiated or swing from ship to ship and take them out up close and personal.

On foot you can now ready your weapon and free aim with L1/LB and fire with R1/RB, this is a huge improvement over the clunky aiming mechanics found in AC3. You can now whistle while sneaking in tall grass to get a nearby guards attention. You can use the D-pad to cycle through your entire inventory now rather than pausing the game and having to assign a new weapon or tool to one of four slots on the D-pad every time. Viewpoints are now used as fast travel points.

When roaming the rooftops you won't find nearly as many guards as AC3 so it's now useful to use them again. They don't throw 150 enemies at you in the cities any more when you're wanted and hide spots are actually marked on your map again as well.

Money plays a big part and you have a ton of stuff to purchase from gameplay upgrades for Edward or the Jackdaw or visual upgrades like new sails and dye for your outfit.

Missions do a good job of utilizing the naval open world and the goals for reaching 100% sync in missions so far are actually fairly easy and fun, never taking way from your experience. Stealth has been a pretty big element in most of the missions I have played and that is a good thing. When things get a bit more physical I find it more difficult than AC3, I have come close to death in combat a few times already.

Visually the game looks great on current generation consoles but the frame rate dips slightly when sprinting through the crowded streets of Havana. A few other visual glitches have appeared but is still a noticeable improvement over AC3.

There are a ton of small islands to loot a little bit of gold or cash or even materials from but don't expect much. It's more just a diversion to get your off the ship most of the time but for the little effort it takes to grab these things you may as well. The cities are filled with chests to loot as well and plenty of side activities abound.

Based off everything I have played thus far I can say I am happy with my purchase. It was this or Batman and I believe I made the right choice. Now back to playing.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Last_Ride

Nice, it looks really good