Assassin's Creed 4 - to buy or not to buy

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by seinar2 (1 posts) -

Just asking for opinions...I have spent tons of money on games that I ended up not liking, and are just sitting on my book shelves. Here are a list of games i have played and liked.

- Dead Rising 3

- Ryse Son of Rome

- Batman Arkham Origins

- Call of Duty Ghosts

- Diablo 3

- Metro Last Light

- Gears of War Judgement

Question is should i get Assassins Creed 4? I have never played any of the AC games, ever. AC4 reviews are good. It's getting pretty skimpy out there for games, especially the XBox One.

#2 Edited by Korvus (2950 posts) -

I'm a fan of the Assassin's Creed franchise. There's a lot of games copying each other nowadays, and even though sometimes the gameplay doesn't evolve much from one game to the next AC feels like AC (and maybe a tiny bit like Prince of Persia sometimes), which I think it's a good thing.

I particularly like how they use real people and events, and then change the background of those events to say that the Assassins or Templars were behind said events.

I've liked most AC games, but was really disappointed with AC3...that being said, I think they've done wonders with AC4, and if you never played an AC game before, this might be a good one to start with since it's on a setting that wasn't used before, so you won't be missing out on story.

The story is divided between the past (where 90% of the game takes place...you get connected to the Animus to experience the memories of your ancestors and each game has a different setting...Holy land, Italy, Venice...and on AC 4 the Caribbean Sea) and a smaller part in the present time which builds up from previous games but some of the AC games start with a "previously..." video, to get you up to speed and I can't recall if this one has it, but even if it doesn't you won't feel all that lost, especially if you bother to gather information during those sequences or just youtube the story summary.

The story and narrative are always (in my opinion) quite good, even though the combat is not all that interesting (basically block a th right time and counter-kill being the fastest way to go on about it) and there's plenty more to do in AC4 than on previous games, so I'd say give it a try =)