Article: Arkham Asylum vs Arkham City

This topic is locked from further discussion.

76QQ3O9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 76QQ3O9
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
http://whatculture.com/gaming/batman-arkham-asylum-vs-arkham-city-which-game-is-better.php Great points. However I disagree with his first page a bit. Not every change/addition is an improvement.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Arkham Asylmum "wipes the floor" against Arkham City? Hardly. Argue all you want for the linear structure of Asylum leading to a better overall experience, Arkham City is the game that really lets you be the Batman. I'm a sucker for open worlds, and Arkham City is - in my not so humble opinion - the better game because of it.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I absolutely love both Arkham games, but I disagree with the final verdict here. I'm a gameplay focused gamer and quite simply, there is nothing Arkham Asylum does even remotely as well as Arkham City. Rocksteady upped their game so much with their sequel that their new Batman game probably has nowhere to go but down. I also found Asylum's story to be a little lacklustre. It felt like a simple saturday morning cartoon plot whereas Arkham City hit upon all of the interesting psychology of Batman (the thing that attracts me to the character more than anything else). The type of psychology that would lead a man to risk his life to stop the mass murder of a bunch of low-life thugs even if his one true love is in mortal danger.

Their both fantastic games, but only Arkham City swims near masterpiece territory.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts
Both games are fantastic and while I sorely missed Scarecrow in AC I have to go with AC being the better game overall.
TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

Arkham Asylmum "wipes the floor" against Arkham City? Hardly. Argue all you want for the linear structure of Asylum leading to a better overall experience, Arkham City is the game that really lets you be the Batman. I'm a sucker for open worlds, and Arkham City is - in my not so humble opinion - the better game because of it.

Vari3ty

With the option on PS3 to play a custom soundtrack via the XMB, the Bat-feeling is enhanced tensfold when you have Elfman, Zimmer, and the TAS composers best compositions playing while you glide through the city, taking out large mobs of goons or picking off increasingly unnerved armed henchmen one by one with your ever growing list of upgrades and gadgets.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

TheFallenDemon

With the option on PS3 to play a custom soundtrack via the XMB, the Bat-feeling is enhanced tensfold when you have Elfman, Zimmer, and the TAS composers best compositions playing while you glide through the city, taking out large mobs of goons or picking off increasingly unnerved armed henchmen one by one with your ever growing list of upgrades and gadgets.

Wow I never thought of this. You sir are a genius.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I disagree completely, everything in Arkham City was better. The combat was far more fluid and engaging, the story in Arkham City actually took risks with the Batman story while Arkham Asylum ended like a dumb cartoon, and Arkham City itself just felt more...Batmany. Everything about the presentation felt spot on in AC.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts
Both games are fantastic and while I sorely missed Scarecrow in AC I have to go with AC being the better game overall.Archangel3371
There are numerous Scarecrow easter eggs in Arkham City. You can see his fear canisters in one of the side quests, guards talk about him and if you use your Cryptographic Sequencer and scan at a particular location, you hear a person that tells you numbers in a pattern. Yup, that's Scarecrow himself :)
fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fend_oblivion
Arkham City is by far the better game IMO. Better graphics, better gameplay, more content, better combat, better story etc.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Objectively Arkham City is simply a better game. Some people might prefer metroidvania-like structure of Arkham Asylum over open world take of Arkham City, but this doesn't change how significant improvement Arkham City was over Asylum.

Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Gamr2723
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

I disagree completely, everything in Arkham City was better. The combat was far more fluid and engaging, the story in Arkham City actually took risks with the Batman story while Arkham Asylum ended like a dumb cartoon, and Arkham City itself just felt more...Batmany. Everything about the presentation felt spot on in AC.

JangoWuzHere

I agree 100%!!! I really felt that AA felt confining, yes I liked the story line and it gave us a first glipse of what it feels like to be Batman, but AC ramps that up considerably. I love the free flowing go anywhere feel of AC. I also love the combat and the storyline, grittier and much more intense. Batman's world is a dark place, and AC really created the mistique of a true DARK KNIGHT! Well done!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Just my two cents, but AC is the better game than AA.

Sure, AA is polished and linear. It had a great story and it definitely showed that there is a game out there that can truly give gamers the true feeling of what it is like to be Batman. But it did have its problems, such as Batman being slow, a couple of the enemies were frustrating (I'm looking at you, dual-wielding knifeman!), to name a few. So, in other words, AA was great, but it had some flaws that needed to be corrected.

With AC, everything has been improved and I don't know why people are looking the other way on it. AC included free-roaming, there were more villains and heroes to contend with, Batman is a lot more faster than his previous incarnation, there is a variety of enemies (none of them frustrating, it only is if you make it frustrating), the story was excellent, and so on. AC is the better, more complete package than AA is.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Technically AC was the better game, but I had a lot more fun with AA.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pikminmaniac

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Both games are fantastic and while I sorely missed Scarecrow in AC I have to go with AC being the better game overall.fend_oblivion
There are numerous Scarecrow easter eggs in Arkham City. You can see his fear canisters in one of the side quests, guards talk about him and if you use your Cryptographic Sequencer and scan at a particular location, you hear a person that tells you numbers in a pattern. Yup, that's Scarecrow himself :)

The best easter egg would be when you use the cryptographic sequencer on one of the Falcone boats to open a secret passage. Inside is Scarecrow's freaky hideout.

TheFallenDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TheFallenDemon
Member since 2010 • 13933 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

One of the best methods to getting a true Batman feeling was equipping the 70s Batsuit, activating Big Head Mode, and then turning on a certain theme tune to a certain TV show.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44144 Posts
[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]Both games are fantastic and while I sorely missed Scarecrow in AC I have to go with AC being the better game overall.fend_oblivion

Yeah but I wanted him to actually be in the game where you could fight him and such.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

I love the open environment in AC and boost/gliding around is so damn fun. Also I enjoy playing as Catwoman a lot more, and I can watch her walk all day long.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
Arkham City is by far the better game IMO. Better graphics, better gameplay, more content, better combat, better story etc.fend_oblivion
I agree with everything except the better story part.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Asylum was a good action-adventure. City was an outstanding Batman game.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

You cant go wrong with either one, both are amazing.

mypetmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mypetmonkey
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

Arkham City had too much random Riddler puzzles..... It was way OOT....

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fend_oblivion
[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]Arkham City is by far the better game IMO. Better graphics, better gameplay, more content, better combat, better story etc.johny300
I agree with everything except the better story part.

I could see how AAsylum was going to end as it was pretty darn obvious, especially the TJoker bit but ACity was a twistathon, not regarding Joker (which they spoil early on, numerous times) but regarding Strange and his "overseers".
Gamr2723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gamr2723
Member since 2011 • 119 Posts

I enjoy the debate, but one thing both had in common, Mark Hamill as the voice actor for the Joker. His ability to bring this character to life is top notch! Incredible voice acting in both games that truly set the Joker persona to the top of all villians ever in gaming history. I just hope he'll come back for a third run. Rumor has it no, but we can all hope.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Personally I prefer Asylum. The story was just better to me, with better pacing. Both games are great though.

Nero1884

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Nero1884

I enjoy the debate, but one thing both had in common, Mark Hamill as the voice actor for the Joker. His ability to bring this character to life is top notch! Incredible voice acting in both games that truly set the Joker persona to the top of all villians ever in gaming history. I just hope he'll come back for a third run. Rumor has it no, but we can all hope.

Gamr2723

Considering the games ending and somethings he said before the game was released ill doubt he will be back. Maybe its time for The Joker to move on, if their is one good thing with the Batman universe is that they can change so many times but remain good through changes.

death0194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 death0194
I have only try Arkham Asylum in Xbox360 and it was the most game of batman series that i loved it but i haven't try Arkham City but my friend have it and i saw it and it was better and bigger then Arkham Asylum .
76QQ3O9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 76QQ3O9
Arkham City is a cartoon episode Arkham Asylum is a graphic novel
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
I agree with most of his point (even though I thought Arkham City should have won in style given the magnificent Museum level etc). But the gameplay is a more important part to me than what it is to the author of the article. So for me Arkham City wins by a nose.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Just my two cents, but AC is the better game than AA.

Sure, AA is polished and linear. It had a great story and it definitely showed that there is a game out there that can truly give gamers the true feeling of what it is like to be Batman. But it did have its problems, such as Batman being slow, a couple of the enemies were frustrating (I'm looking at you, dual-wielding knifeman!), to name a few. So, in other words, AA was great, but it had some flaws that needed to be corrected.

With AC, everything has been improved and I don't know why people are looking the other way on it. AC included free-roaming, there were more villains and heroes to contend with, Batman is a lot more faster than his previous incarnation, there is a variety of enemies (none of them frustrating, it only is if you make it frustrating), the story was excellent, and so on. AC is the better, more complete package than AA is.

Metamania
Saved me the trouble. +1
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MirkoS77

I love the open environment in AC and boost/gliding around is so damn fun. Also I enjoy playing as Catwoman a lot more, and I can watch her walk all day long.

Swift_Boss_A
Man I hear that. Rocksteady sure knows how to model a woman's figure.
kayoticdreamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kayoticdreamz
Member since 2010 • 3347 Posts
both are great games. AA i think had the overall better structure of a story. AC was a little more all over the map. AC though was a little less predictable. though honestly the story isnt that good after being ruined by the past few years with the dark knight movie trilogy. i do wish the AC had some batcave use and i wish both games use the bat flying mobile and the batcar. i'd say AC was the better game cause it played better. i hope the sequel includes the bat vehicles and all of gotham.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pikminmaniac

Arkham City is a cartoon episode Arkham Asylum is a graphic novel76QQ3O9

Arkham Asylum was way more like a cartoon episode. Joker wants to make an army of monsters and attack gotham.

Arkham City was of a larger scope and dealt with something very important within Batman universe: Batman's belief that even the worst of man deserves to live. To Batman, being able to restrain oneself and not kill is what seperates the criminals from the heroes. Strange and Ra's Al Ghul on the other hand believe that one must do ANYTHING necessary to end evil even if it means comitting a bit of evil yourself (the genocide they attempt in the game). Batman's very existance and code of honour are put to the ultimate test in this game and the story is that much more interesting because of it. It also explores the relationship betweeen Batman and the Joker in a lot more depth even if the Joker didn't have as big a focus.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#33 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I like both games.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="TheFallenDemon"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

Vari3ty

Uhm...this is also possible on PC, just also open Media Player or the like.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts
The "Quality of Villain" was the biggest factor in me liking Arkham Asylum more then AC. As much as I loved AC, the villians in AA were more way memorable for me(especially Scarecrow & Killer Croc). And I liked Joker better in AA.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
[QUOTE="Swift_Boss_A"]

MirkoS77
Man I hear that. Rocksteady sure knows how to model a woman's figure.

And how! I was totally staring at Talia's backside in first person view leading to my demon quest.
Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#37 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

Both masterpieces, but Arkham City made some very impressive improvements from the first game, therefore being a really great sequel, and slightly better game.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Overall, Arkham City is the better game. I still prefer Arkham Asylum though. I'm not big on open world games and the amount of characters that Arkham City threw at you was slightly overwhelming.
meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
I found that changes to combat in AC made the game significantly worse, but everything else was an improvement. They both suffered from the problem of having too many villains, AC slightly more so. Very few villains got the focus they deserved.
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MirkoS77

I found that changes to combat in AC made the game significantly worse, but everything else was an improvement. They both suffered from the problem of having too many villains, AC slightly more so. Very few villains got the focus they deserved. meetroid8

How so?