Arkham Origins Flaws

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Metamania (12010 posts) -

OK, since I've been playing this for awhile now, I have a few complaints.

-First off, the combat, specifically the AI. Why is it that the AI is able to just magically punch or kick faster than Batman can? I know that this is supposed to be early in his career, but this is ridiculous. Instead, I'm forced to do heavy counter sections a lot of the time and use takedowns on armored guys when possible. Even with the Shock Gauntlets...you can't just just mow everyone in the room down, you have to take your time with it. I just find it incredibly ridiculous that WB amped up the fucking AI in this, even on Normal mode! Even when you are on freeflow and time supposed to slow down, THEY STILL PUNCH FASTER THAN YOU. The fuck is that BS?

-Snipers. Oh my god, don't get me started on them. There are too many in the city now, making it a lot harder to travel from one place to another, even having to use fast travel. Even if you use a smoke pellet on one guy, it's pathetic that he can still follow you, from his line of sight, and still hit you. It is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a game. That's pathetic.

-Batman himself in combat. Have they learned their lesson by this point? So even if I'm facing someone, I can't punch them until I'm that close to them? Seriously. You try attacking them and he just inches forward and punches at nothing. It's the same when I'm facing someone and trying to use a cape on them. He just inches forward and swings his cape around, hitting nothing but air. Why aren't developers learning their lessons from the past? Has this game been thoroughly tested?

-The atmosphere in Origins is a bit lacking and this is the same problem I've encountered in both Asylum and City. All we see is criminals and maybe a group or two of innocents, but that's about it. Gotham needs to have more life breathed into it, similar to how the Spiderman games have done in the past.

Am I the only one that has these problems with Origins or are people frustrated by the game due to issues like these?

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (12896 posts) -

Thats the Arkham Formula through and through, all though your combat complaints are actuallyt a big positive for me ! I love a challenge, doesn't sound cheap at all. If you don't want it mail it to me :), Lulu would sure appreciate that !

#3 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Thats the Arkham Formula through and through, all though your combat complaints are actuallyt a big positive for me ! I love a challenge, doesn't sound cheap at all. If you don't want it mail it to me :), Lulu would sure appreciate that !

Yeah.....no.

#4 Posted by mjorh (779 posts) -

Man those are the main positive aspects of this franchise ! :D

Combat is so challenging n i love it , atmosphere is immersive n absorbs u the minute u see the world combinig with a great story !

I think it's not your type.

#5 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

@mjorh said:

Combat is so challenging n i love it , atmosphere is immersive n absorbs u the minute u see the world combinig with a great story !

If it wasn't my type, I wouldn't be playing them, now would I?

#6 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

I haven't had too many instances where I'm left shouting a Batman for making me look bad, but it still happens more often than it did in Arkham City. Rather than being over one-inch punches, it's more about Batman either prioritizing the wrong enemy type or not prioritizing at all. When I use an instant takedown, It's supposed to be for either the armored thug, the venom thug or the armored giant; not for the knife thug or the gun thug- they're reason I have blade dodge takedown and Disarm/Destroy. As far as faster punching, it's a punishment for making the wrong move at higher levels. At lower levels you still might be able to squeak by with a mistake like that. Also remember that Batman is more power than speed.

Totally agree about the snipers, but more than that, it seems like half of the rooftops are patrolled by gun toting thugs. It seems like I can't get anywhere without fleeing from at least one chance encounter with a rooftop full of angry gunners.

We need to see a full sized Gotham before we can count on adding civilians to the mix.

On the whole, it's still a worthy punchin' stuff kind of game, but some of the design elements they went with are definitely a bit off-putting. For instance, why are there buildings hiding invisible walls? I failed the first Anarky bomb twice because I kept trying to cut a corner I could easily have glided over(after all, I can cross the pioneer bridge on the glide, so gliding huge distances is very doable).

#7 Posted by MirkoS77 (7482 posts) -

I'd express my distaste for this game if I could be bothered. Everyone seems to love it, so I'll just say that it pales in comparison to the first two.

#8 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@MirkoS77: Have you finished the campaign?

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (8616 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Agreed. The difficulty is much better in this game.

#10 Posted by MirkoS77 (7482 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@MirkoS77: Have you finished the campaign?

Lol......no. Guess I have no grounds to complain, but I really cannot get into it for some reason. I just finished another playthrough of City, popped in Origins again, and still have no desire to play it like I still do AA and AC. And I can't pinpoint why....

#11 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (12896 posts) -

You know what would be really nice/annoying, if they could somehow blurr the lines between combat and predator mode.

#12 Posted by Byshop (11471 posts) -

@Metamania said:

-First off, the combat, specifically the AI. Why is it that the AI is able to just magically punch or kick faster than Batman can? I know that this is supposed to be early in his career, but this is ridiculous. Instead, I'm forced to do heavy counter sections a lot of the time and use takedowns on armored guys when possible. Even with the Shock Gauntlets...you can't just just mow everyone in the room down, you have to take your time with it. I just find it incredibly ridiculous that WB amped up the fucking AI in this, even on Normal mode! Even when you are on freeflow and time supposed to slow down, THEY STILL PUNCH FASTER THAN YOU. The fuck is that BS?

-Snipers. Oh my god, don't get me started on them. There are too many in the city now, making it a lot harder to travel from one place to another, even having to use fast travel. Even if you use a smoke pellet on one guy, it's pathetic that he can still follow you, from his line of sight, and still hit you. It is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a game. That's pathetic.

-Batman himself in combat. Have they learned their lesson by this point? So even if I'm facing someone, I can't punch them until I'm that close to them? Seriously. You try attacking them and he just inches forward and punches at nothing. It's the same when I'm facing someone and trying to use a cape on them. He just inches forward and swings his cape around, hitting nothing but air. Why aren't developers learning their lessons from the past? Has this game been thoroughly tested?

-The atmosphere in Origins is a bit lacking and this is the same problem I've encountered in both Asylum and City. All we see is criminals and maybe a group or two of innocents, but that's about it. Gotham needs to have more life breathed into it, similar to how the Spiderman games have done in the past.

Am I the only one that has these problems with Origins or are people frustrated by the game due to issues like these?

One of the biggest complaints about the earlier Batman games is that you could button mash your way through combat, so the amped up AI is a welcome change. They don't really punch that much faster, but they shortened the indicator time. You can actually counter before the indicator appears.

The atmosphere was lacking, I agree. The investigation stuff was interesting but the overall story felt lacking in the end. But for the rest of your complaints about the combat I didn't see it. I would initiate freeflow combos and fly around the screen knocking bad guys around like crazy. You just had to be ready with that counter button because the timing in this one was much harder to interrupt attacks with other attacks.

-Byshop

#13 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

The combat isn't nearly as tightly focused as it was in Asylum and City. I guess it's up to the individual if they prefer the new take on the old formula, but I was less than ecstatic about it.

I went back to Arkham Asylum City for about an hour this afternoon. Just to make sure that it wasn't me just playing poorly. And the controls were much much better. Origins sees Batman, as was said earlier, missing priority targets far too frequently.

If this was the true Origin of the Dark Knight, he would have been taken out long before he had a chance to "Return", if you take my meaning.

All of it could be overlooked if it didn't seem like the targeting was so out of my control. I try to aim for a guy pretty close to centered in front of me. And instead, Bruce will lunge past that enemy and try to smack the guy holding the shield and thereby breaking my combo streak. Which is more frustrating than I feel it needs to be. I welcome the challenge. Relish it even. But when it reaches frustration, I think it starts to feel sloppy rather than challenging.

#14 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@MirkoS77: That's not what I was getting at. But do finish it- push yourself through it if you have to. It'll be worth it. At least, it was for me and I felt about the same way you do.

#15 Posted by MirkoS77 (7482 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@MirkoS77: That's not what I was getting at. But do finish it- push yourself through it if you have to. It'll be worth it. At least, it was for me and I felt about the same way you do.

I never push myself to finish a game. If I'm not enjoying it it defeats the entire point of why I'm playing. I gave it a good faith effort, but ended trading it in today towards PS4 credit.

#16 Posted by Yagr_Zero (27837 posts) -

@Metamania said:

I had the same issues.

- The combat just feels a little off and I agree with the fact that enemies attack a little too fast for my liking and there is an issue with target recognition. I really dislike it when Bats gets the wrong guy with the combo takedown or the disarm/destroy action. Yet, I felt there wasn't that much wrong with the combat - I managed to rectify that by just leaping over enemies, creating room, and attacking, which happens to make critical strikes a lot easier to make.

- The snipers are perhaps the most broken enemies in the game. I don't have a huge issue with there being that many, I have an issue with the fact that they can follow your precise movements through buildings and across maps, which is ridiculous. I tested this out by walking around a building only to watch, not one but two, snipers follow my exact movements, and I even fast traveled to the same location after alerting them to find laser sights upon me as I began my fall towards the ground the moment the game finished loading. That's broken. When mixed in with a few issues with the grappling mechanics, it makes moving around Gotham more of a hassle than anything else.

- There were quite a few bugs and glitches that popped up through the game that irked me. I've had objectives not spawn, lose the ability to predator takedown rooftop enemies for a strange amount of time (almost ten minutes on my count), lost the ability to interrogate data handlers, had enemies fall through the floor forcing a restart, falling through the boundaries of the game myself causing another set of restarts, and other such small glitches.

I guess what I want to say is, that while there's fun to be had in the game - I mean I do like the story and most of the combat - the game just feels sloppy.

#17 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Yagr_Zero: "Sloppy". So true. That's an apt description if ever I've heard one.

I don't mind the challenge of a difficult game. But the whole point should be to make us feel the empowerment which comes with the cape and cowl of Batman. Batman should be controlling the field. But the make-up of the mobs means you are almost never dictating the pace of battle.

I know there is narrative justification with it being younger Bruce under the mask. But that doesn't explain the crappy targeting when in combat. Or the sniper issue you mentioned. Or the Predator missions and locations feeling more open than ever but far more limited. City and Asylum had it just right. High priority targets being bypassed for lesser enemies who aren't even presenting a threat is a real problem. Quick Fire gadgets not targeting the right enemy is a problem, and that's if you even get them to target anything at all rather than just firing into the open.

I was playing 100 to 1 earlier. I unlocked some upgrades that I wanted to try out and was doing fairly well. Then I see the alert prompt as one of the enemies with a car door shield is directly in front of me. I counter a strike from a thug, aim at the car door guy and hit "B" to cape him, but Batman flies past him and capes an unarmed thug who wasn't even charging, bypassing not only the one I was trying to stun but at least one other enemy. Which led to the car door thug getting a hit on me and breaking my 137 hit combo. This is not a case of them building a more intuitive enemy class or beefing up the challenge. This game took a formula that was working fine and breaking it. It's like someone gave them the recipe for perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies but rather than follow the recipe they decided to throw in vinegar, onions, and motor oil.

#18 Edited by foxhound_fox (88319 posts) -

I don't get the complaints about the combat. Like you said, it's Batman (very) early in his career. He is young, naive and very hot-headed. I've had no trouble building 100x combos.

My only issue so far has been the bugs and lower level of overall polish of the world and gameplay.

#19 Edited by The_Last_Ride (71742 posts) -

Going to buy this when i can and i have managed to get some money after the massive PS4 launch destroys my wallet

#20 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

@Yagr_Zero said:

@Metamania said:

I had the same issues.

- The combat just feels a little off and I agree with the fact that enemies attack a little too fast for my liking and there is an issue with target recognition. I really dislike it when Bats gets the wrong guy with the combo takedown or the disarm/destroy action. Yet, I felt there wasn't that much wrong with the combat - I managed to rectify that by just leaping over enemies, creating room, and attacking, which happens to make critical strikes a lot easier to make.

- The snipers are perhaps the most broken enemies in the game. I don't have a huge issue with there being that many, I have an issue with the fact that they can follow your precise movements through buildings and across maps, which is ridiculous. I tested this out by walking around a building only to watch, not one but two, snipers follow my exact movements, and I even fast traveled to the same location after alerting them to find laser sights upon me as I began my fall towards the ground the moment the game finished loading. That's broken. When mixed in with a few issues with the grappling mechanics, it makes moving around Gotham more of a hassle than anything else.

- There were quite a few bugs and glitches that popped up through the game that irked me. I've had objectives not spawn, lose the ability to predator takedown rooftop enemies for a strange amount of time (almost ten minutes on my count), lost the ability to interrogate data handlers, had enemies fall through the floor forcing a restart, falling through the boundaries of the game myself causing another set of restarts, and other such small glitches.

I guess what I want to say is, that while there's fun to be had in the game - I mean I do like the story and most of the combat - the game just feels sloppy.

Thank you! I'm happy to read that I'm not the only one feeling that these are legit issues.

The combat has always been off since the first game. If I face an armed thug and wanted to do a combo takedown, I press the buttons and see what happens and the next, I see him take out a normal thug instead. That's incredibly stupid! On top of that, I also jump around too, so that I can think of what to do next and go after that as fast as I can. For example, a person with a gun in their hands, I make sure to take them out for a second before focusing on the others. I need to get the Disarm and Destroy ability soon so that I can take weapons out of the equation.

Exactly with the snipers as well. It's like "Really?" Asylum and City didn't have much of a problem with this and I didn't mind it as much, since there was so little of it, but here, it's a bit too much. I wonder if snipers have been reduced a lot on the Easy difficulty mode?

Batman: Arkham Origins was indeed not thoroughly tested. In the words of the AVGN: What were they thinking?

#21 Edited by Metamania (12010 posts) -

I can now confirm it; Arkham Origins is officially broken, thanks to the psychic snipers that are in the game.

I cannot progress through the story now until WBM cleans up that bullshit. Seriously...I expected snipers to happen way later, like how they did in both Asylum and City, but in Origins? It's a bit too much. It's one of the worst calls I've ever seen a game developer make.

#22 Edited by mjorh (779 posts) -

@Metamania: Yeah snipers are pain in the ass !

Beated the game , the second half of story is great but the ending is not satisfying , when u compare it with previous ones ending, it's a shame ! the gameplay mechanics have barely changed but still engaging n exciting which show the immersive gameplay of Arkham City !

Graphics have improved n enhanced ,the atmosphere is great , but u can't deny the sameness !

Boss Fights n Detective Mode are the only improvements of gameplay , they're damn hard n challenging ! i wish there was more of detective mode n a boss fight with The Joker would be a lot fun n could make a great ending ..

Overally the game is great n i give it 8 outta 10 .

#23 Posted by AdjacentLives (1173 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@mjorh said:

Buddy just stop. If you're complaining about the combat being challenging then you are simply too terrible for words, and yes that would make it no longer your type of game. Hello Kitty Island Adventure would be more your type of game. I chain attacks up past 100 regularly on the hardest difficulty and I do it with my controller under a big cozy blanket practically asleep. There's nothing even remotely challenging about the Arkham series, aside from a few boss fights and cheap moments with gun guys.

#24 Posted by Solaryellow (484 posts) -

Batman is an amateur (per his own words) in this game so perhaps that has a bit to do with the combat?

Atmosphere? Gotham is under s state of emergency from a blizzard. How many people do you expect to be out and about? Though I could see more people in actual buildings even as hostages (more than we saw) since they wouldn't be technically out in the snow.

#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (7482 posts) -

@Metamania said:

The combat has always been off since the first game. If I face an armed thug and wanted to do a combo takedown, I press the buttons and see what happens and the next, I see him take out a normal thug instead. That's incredibly stupid!

Oooooooo MM gotta disagree with you on this one.

AA's combat was extremely simplistic, but workable, but City's combat functions nigh perfectly. It consistently does what I tell it to, the one exception I've seen is that if you attempt to use the disarm/destroy technique and a knife enemy is starting an attack when you push triangle/circle, the game will only read the triangle input and cause Batman to dodge the knife guy, not disarm/destroy who was intended. Otherwise I find it works fairly flawlessly. It even predicts targeting the armored guys for takedowns, going so far as to jump through many other enemies, so it's weird to hear you had that happen.

On a side note, I find that I'm much better at AC's combat when I'm baked, and I've no idea why.

#26 Edited by mjorh (779 posts) -

@AdjacentLives said:

@Metamania said:

@mjorh said:

Buddy just stop. If you're complaining about the combat being challenging then you are simply too terrible for words, and yes that would make it no longer your type of game. Hello Kitty Island Adventure would be more your type of game. I chain attacks up past 100 regularly on the hardest difficulty and I do it with my controller under a big cozy blanket practically asleep. There's nothing even remotely challenging about the Arkham series, aside from a few boss fights and cheap moments with gun guys.

Who would "Complain" a challenging combat ?!

+

Define "Challenging" first ....

#27 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@MirkoS77: It increases your ability to focus on doing a single thing. Some of my best high scores were earned when I was totally ripped.

I agree that Arkham City combat was perfect. But they've failed somehow in implementing the combat system in Origins. You mentioned specifically Batman's charging through a whole group of enemies in order to lay a takedown on an armored thug. In Arkham City he'd do the same thing to put a D&D on shields and guns, but here I find I'm constantly breaking knives and bats instead of shields. Even when I've got a clear line of sight and I'm directing him toward a shield, he'll inevitably break a knife because it's closer. Now, if this is an intentional design choice because Batman is supposed to be more "unrefined," it's a stupid one- a sequel should never EVER be designed to execute one of the main tenets of the series' gameplay for the sake of story. That's just bad design.

And then you've got things like the ground pound finisher only targeting the last thung you knocked down.

Just about the only positive additions to the series in this game are the martial artist enemies and MAYBE the 2x takedown upgrade.

#28 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@mjorh: Challenging is one thing- I loved playing custom combat challenges in Arkham City with One Hand Tied and Increased Aggression- but struggling with a combat system because it was tinkered with until it's less effective or precise than it's predecessor is something totally different.

#29 Edited by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

I am enjoying the heightened difficulty a lot, it has been keeping me more engaged and immersed in the combat thus I am having a lot more fun with the game overall.

I wish there were more predator parts though.

#30 Edited by mjorh (779 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@mjorh: Challenging is one thing- I loved playing custom combat challenges in Arkham City with One Hand Tied and Increased Aggression- but struggling with a combat system because it was tinkered with until it's less effective or precise than it's predecessor is something totally different.

Yeah obviously it's not as good as Arkham City , all i'm saying is that the combat system is still exciting , predator maps are great n brings u an intensive experience ...about "challenging" i believe it's not always about being hard n difficult , it can be about beating records for instance beating the maximum combo n stuff like that ...

#31 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Yup I agree on the combat, they totally screwed up the timing of the counters, now you are almost afraid to punch cause you cant cancel out as effectively. Its drastically changed the way I fight and I don't like it.

Other than that its just a slightly lesser version of what we are used to and that is not bad.

#32 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

finished the game. only two bugs(besides the occasional enemy stuck in a wall). in multiplayer the game froze and i had to reset my computer. in the campaign during the last level when you are getting to the joker my game was going super slow. I think there were about 10 enemies in the room. The lag made this part almost unbeatable. i eventually got it after dying about 20 times. other then that I loved the game. I still need to finish a few of the side missions.

#33 Posted by MirkoS77 (7482 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

@MirkoS77: It increases your ability to focus on doing a single thing. Some of my best high scores were earned when I was totally ripped.

Yea, for some reason it makes me become much more reactive instead of being proactive. I let the game dictate to me what's going to happen instead of trying to make it happen, and this has caused my scores to increase by like multiples of at least 3-4. It's weird as usually smoking makes me entirely unable to play any game that requires timing and skill.

#34 Posted by JamesJoule (170 posts) -

so you are complaining because thugs can hit faster than batman .. if they did change that there would be no use to counters and combat would be just punching only that would be ridiculous u'll just be mashing one button ..

and the batman part where u can't punch someone unless u r close .. u can do it in free flow when u have 5x combo or more !!! but ofc u cant when u r have 0 combo .. that would make the game super easy because there'll be no use of stealth when the men are armed with guns .. u'll just jump them like u do with unarmed thugs !!

i really dont understand ur complaints !!

#35 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@MirkoS77: I don't know about being totally reactive, but I know I can identify two or three more layers of enemy intent when I smoking the right strain. It's especially interesting because like you, I'm usually demonstrably worse at shooters and more basic melee combat games (about the only genres I play anymore) when I'm stoned. But with Batman it lets me see more- I think it has something to do with allowing me to focus more on watching the enemies than watching Batman lay the hurt on them.

#36 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

I popped Arkham City back in for a little while today and I noticed something: Batman had a priority problem in that game, too, but it was different because it was predictable. Disarm and Destroy will target the nearest armored enemy regardless of the weapon he was holding. But it will do that every time. In Arkham Origins, these prioritizing issues occur randomly, and not being able to identify WHY he attacked one enemy and not the one you wanted him to makes it nearly impossible to orchestrate combat encounters in the way I'm used to.

#37 Posted by MethodManFTW (25745 posts) -

I personally didn't have any of those problems..

I like the more difficult combat and better AI..

Didn't have that issue with snipers at all.. Maybe it's a only a bug on consoles or something like that?

#38 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@El_Zo1212o said:

I popped Arkham City back in for a little while today and I noticed something: Batman had a priority problem in that game, too, but it was different because it was predictable. Disarm and Destroy will target the nearest armored enemy regardless of the weapon he was holding. But it will do that every time. In Arkham Origins, these prioritizing issues occur randomly, and not being able to identify WHY he attacked one enemy and not the one you wanted him to makes it nearly impossible to orchestrate combat encounters in the way I'm used to.

The ideal way to use Disarm and Destroy was to double tap the A button and leap over the target, then trigger the move. In times when it wasn't ideal though, it would more often than not be directable. I could aim in the general direction and 99 times out of 100 it'd go where I wanted it to.

Inversely, in Origins, it would more often than not go past the enemy I was trying to take down. And much more often I'd shoot for an armored thug with my Takedown maneuver and end up going past that thug and grabbing an enemy standing one, even two rows behind the one I aimed at.

Arkham City was a much more well put together piece of software. Any way you slice it, Origins is still fun. But it's not Arkham City fun.

#39 Posted by Metamania (12010 posts) -

@JamesJoule said:

so you are complaining because thugs can hit faster than batman .. if they did change that there would be no use to counters and combat would be just punching only that would be ridiculous u'll just be mashing one button ..

and the batman part where u can't punch someone unless u r close .. u can do it in free flow when u have 5x combo or more !!! but ofc u cant when u r have 0 combo .. that would make the game super easy because there'll be no use of stealth when the men are armed with guns .. u'll just jump them like u do with unarmed thugs !!

In combat, you don't get free flow until you reached 12X and more, because that's when apparently things start to slow down. In previous Batman games, Batman is supposed to fly over to where the other opponent is and hit them. Origins, it sometimes doesn't happen that way. I'm very far from one opponent and he's supposed to hit that person and he doesn't. That's problematic. Stuff like that makes you lose your combo flow easily. Because of that, you actually have to stand there and heavily rely on counters to get through a fight and you know what? That's not fun. You're supposed to mix it up with counters and attacks of your own. It's bullshit, really.

And as far as stealth is concerned, stealth is fine, but that element isn't there sometimes. It's like it is making you having to fight in open combat. I've encountered this same problem in 007 Legends (which is the worst Bond game I've played to this day). There is no such thing as stealth in that game. That game makes you fight in open-combat just about every time.

If you don't understand my complaints, that's on you. Not on me.

#40 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@Metamania: You're both a little off- Freeflow starts at 3x, combo finishers at 5x and freeflow focus(I think it's called) at 12x.

I see what you're getting at with the stealth, though. I've never been the most invisible predator, but it seems like this entry went out of it way to be the biggest pain-in-the-ass it could be regarding the predator segments. Which is kinda weird- you can chalk up the game's combat inadequacies to the fiction(a younger, more unrefined Batman), but it seems to me that since Batman is still mostly an urban legend, the badguys shouldn't be so on top of things when one by one they're being pulled through windows or strung up from gargoyles. Their fear levels should rise more rapidly and should make them less effective when they do spot you. Also, I wonder why, in this game, smoke pellets are your only counter to gunfire. much like you have the counter as a defense to melee attacks, the cape should function as a defense to gunfire- after all, isn't one of the primary functions of the cape to obscure Batman's shape?

#41 Posted by JamesJoule (170 posts) -

@Metamania said:

@JamesJoule said:

In combat, you don't get free flow until you reached 12X and more, because that's when apparently things start to slow down. In previous Batman games, Batman is supposed to fly over to where the other opponent is and hit them. Origins, it sometimes doesn't happen that way. I'm very far from one opponent and he's supposed to hit that person and he doesn't. That's problematic. Stuff like that makes you lose your combo flow easily. Because of that, you actually have to stand there and heavily rely on counters to get through a fight and you know what? That's not fun. You're supposed to mix it up with counters and attacks of your own. It's bullshit, really.

And as far as stealth is concerned, stealth is fine, but that element isn't there sometimes. It's like it is making you having to fight in open combat. I've encountered this same problem in 007 Legends (which is the worst Bond game I've played to this day). There is no such thing as stealth in that game. That game makes you fight in open-combat just about every time.

If you don't understand my complaints, that's on you. Not on me.

woah woah .. 12x !! lol just open ur game and try it now bro it's 8 or 7x then u upgrade it to make it 5x .. where did u get this number and in previous games u dont fly to ur target unless u'r in free flow too .. origins combat is literally copied and pasted from previous games no change except the new enemy types

#42 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6018 posts) -

@JamesJoule: Go back and play Arkham City for 20 minutes and you'll find it was supposed to be copied and pasted, but something was lost in the implementation.