Arkham Knight. Holy Batman....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

This looks increasingly amazing the more I see of it. How smoothly it transitions from walking to flying to the car, driving around then launching back to gliding without a hitch. Impressive stuff. The only thing that worries me about moving about so briskly is a good navigation system. Hopefully there's decent GPS or arrows on the road towards objectives.

The Stark-suit's grown on me a lot. I was a little hesitant when I first saw it but it's really a much more modern and practical interpretation of the character and is something that looks plausible. The suit's style is nearly necessitated by the complexity and nature of the Batmobile, anyway. Up close detail of the suit was insane.

Current gen, I love ya.

Overall a very cool trailer, obviously gameplay so we can lay this graphics issue to rest. DELAY. *ARRRghghGGhgHgh* I can usually deal with delays, but this one really aches.

So what does eveyone think? Better than expected? Around what you thought? Disappointing?

6/15 update: better, HD version of the trailer analyzed:

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

I'm conflicted really. I love the scale of gotham city and how it looks like it than the gotham city from the dark knight movies, but they show little combat in a 5 minute trailer focusing everything on the batmobile. I want to see how they improve the combat. I hope there is more gameplay during e3. I hate that WB announce it too early than it get's delay. That was uncalled because now we have to wait another year. maybe even a fall 2015 release. Scarecrow's design is really good though.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MirkoS77

From what I hear there's going to be a 20 min gameplay demo tomorrow. I'm sure we'll see some combat. This trailer was just an expansion on the short Batmobile one they just released so it makes sense that'd be the focus. I agree about the delay, it'd have been better if they had just not said anything until a solid date could be known.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#4 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I'll say this right now; I never wanted that trailer to end. That was the best highlight of the entire Sony press conference for me. I am so looking forward to checking out that twenty-minute gameplay demo today. :)

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheShadowLord07

@MirkoS77 said:

From what I hear there's going to be a 20 min gameplay demo tomorrow. I'm sure we'll see some combat. This trailer was just an expansion on the short Batmobile one they just released so it makes sense that'd be the focus. I agree about the delay, it'd have been better if they had just not said anything until a solid date could be known.

Nice will be looking forward to it. At least with the delay, i can get caught up on the series. Just need to get AC now. Do you know the time when it starts and which site is showing it?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MirkoS77

@Metamania said:

I'll say this right now; I never wanted that trailer to end. That was the best highlight of the entire Sony press conference for me. I am so looking forward to checking out that twenty-minute gameplay demo today. :)

I'm conflicted on whether I even want to watch it really. This is a game I don't want to spoil as much as is possible, but I do want to get a glimpse of gameplay and this trailer showed it. I just don't know if I can hold off watching some combat and things such as using gadgets in-flight, all of which is more than likely to be shown in tomorrow's demo. I want to see everything but don't want to have to wait a year to see it. :/

From what i'm seeing, this is my favorite take on the mythos so far done. I just love the look and sound of the Batmobile. They struck the perfect mix between a tank and roadster and the engine sound's spot-on. And the tranformative spider ability.....DAMN. Very cool. I'm wondering if this ability is going to be able to be used at only certain scripted parts, or at the player's discretion? Maybe a gauge that builds up with on road antics? If this Batmobile is coming to Sideshow Collectibles I'm buying it, no question!

Some thoughts....

• given what Scarecrow looks like, I can't help but wish to see their take on the Joker in this style. Would've been creepy as hell.
  • the city is a perfect envisioning of the source material: dark, smoggy, conveying a great impression of dread. They nailed down the atmosphere. Walking out on that balcony (which I'm assuming was Wayne Tower as it looked to be the tallest and had the Batsuit container with his handprint scan on it) was jaw dropping. Looks like the river's the world border. Big enough.
  • a little bummed at how vacant the streets were. I know it'd probably be a design nightmare to populate a city with civilians and make it work given Batman's code, but it just feels off. Hopefully the story will make this less glaring as will rioting goons which weren't shown.
  • RAIN ON THE CAPE. AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! NUTS!
  • loved the transition from the glitching video to cutting right the the Scarecrow where you can hear to cawing. Cleverly done.

I'm SO glad Rocksteady decided to not make this cross-gen. Man, how I'm looking forward to this.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MirkoS77

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

Nice will be looking forward to it. At least with the delay, i can get caught up on the series. Just need to get AC now. Do you know the time when it starts and which site is showing it?

No, not sure.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheShadowLord07

@MirkoS77 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

No, not sure.

Found it, it was on the e3 expo. Now I am excited. Going to have to wake up early tomorrow though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

So wheres the Multiplayer Trailer ? :D

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Batmobile looks awesome, although I have to wonder why he drives around a literal tank when he's supposed to use nonlethal force... I mean he was blowing shit up there. Explosions kill people! But yeah cool trailer and I like how they integrated the batmobile into flying around the city. Plus Gotham looks huge! This game looks neato.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@turtlethetaffer:Batmobile looks awesome, although I have to wonder why he drives around a literal tank when he's supposed to use nonlethal force..

Theatricality n' all that. I mean, if I'm a criminal and that things rolls up, I'm probably just putting my guns down right then and there. Batman rolls up in a prius, even a black prius....it probably doesn't have the same effect. Also, you never know when you're gonna need to shoot 100 people in the kneecap very quickly.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#13 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

I don't wanna go in-depth and explain my impressions, but this is the Batman game I always wanted.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

This is one of those rare games where you just know it will be perfect in every way.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@harry_james_pot

No it wont.... I'l see to to that.... ;)

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MirkoS77

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

No, not sure.

Found it, it was on the e3 expo. Now I am excited. Going to have to wake up early tomorrow though.

How was it?

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheShadowLord07

@MirkoS77 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

@TheShadowLord07 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

No, not sure.

How was it?

Disappointing. No new game play footage. Just a lot of talking and showing the batmobile footage from the sony conference.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@harry_james_pot

No it wont.... I'l see to to that.... ;)

Nah, you can't stop the batman.. :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@harry_james_pot

I don't have to...... Its gona have flaws.... All games do.

harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 harry_james_pot  Moderator

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@harry_james_pot

I don't have to...... Its gona have flaws.... All games do.

Yes, but some of those flaws are subjective. So a game could be perfect for someone, but not for another.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@harry_james_pot

Thats where Arkham Origins comes in....... :p

besides you'd be surprized how many people cant see real flaws just because: "Batman"

its been that way since Asylum.

Its basically how cows see all the Sony Exclusive games.....

That Cult POWAH !

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheShadowLord07

looking on the arkham knight website shows the batmobile got's a grappling gun in the front. wonder if it will mean we could use it to climb buildings.

LordJinChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 LordJinChaos
Member since 2004 • 17713 Posts

Just a great looking game all around. Loved Arkham Asylum & can't wait for this one.

DuaIFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DuaIFace
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts
@turtlethetaffer said:

Batmobile looks awesome, although I have to wonder why he drives around a literal tank when he's supposed to use nonlethal force... I mean he was blowing shit up there. Explosions kill people! But yeah cool trailer and I like how they integrated the batmobile into flying around the city. Plus Gotham looks huge! This game looks neato.

Watch the footage again, and listen to what Barbara Gordon is saying before he starts on them.

I thought that whole scene was just plain retarded. RockSteady just wanted to make a killer tank mini game. Fine. Whatever. It's just completely out of place because of the reasons you stated above and I'm sure the thought might cross other fan's minds, especially if they're fans of the comics as well. We all know Batman is non lethal.

That's one of the other things I just find completely mind-numbingly eye-roll-inducing: Another Batman game, as good as it looks, with another DEAD city. The whole excuse of emptying the city out everytime one of Batman's rogue gallery comes out to play is beyond boring now. This is my personal opinion based on playing all the previous games. Games all look and play amazing during all the story elements, but beyond that? B-O-R-I-N-G as hell.

I'll definitely rent this but that's it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@DuaIFace

Its a game... And therefore certain measures must be taken.... Because lets be honest if they don't force these things on us then Batman would just become a superhero version of GTA Mayhem and Misogyny. Because deep down inside... Thats who gamers really ! Prostitute Murdering Jack Asses ! :p

but there are certain Glitches that allow you to kill a thug.

Its not an Issue though.... We judge it by its gameplay not its ability to mimic a living breathing city... With no purpose... *Coughcough* Grand Theft Auto 5 :p

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i really like the series. I am so looking forward to this game

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

This is the batman game we deserve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#28 10854
Member since 2014 • 116 Posts

Would rather watch konami horse poep

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

This game looks absolutely amazing. Rocksteady became huge favourites of mine because of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City which was no small task because I much prefer Marvel over DC but those Arkham games were just that damn good.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's great, but still looks like more of the same with a larger scale.

I just hope the combat is made fresh again. Origins made it very stale.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MirkoS77

@Archangel3371 said:

This game looks absolutely amazing. Rocksteady became huge favourites of mine because of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City which was no small task because I much prefer Marvel over DC but those Arkham games were just that damn good.

The Arkham games (not including Origins) were responsible for making me a Batman fan. Not the movies, nor the comics, nor the TAS. I think that's the highest praise that can be given to Rocksteady.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MirkoS77

@foxhound_fox said:

It's great, but still looks like more of the same with a larger scale.

I just hope the combat is made fresh again. Origins made it very stale.

I can live with more of the same in this case. I stopped playing Origins it was so awful.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@foxhound_fox

If you want an all new Experience.... Playsomething Else......

Play the The Lego Batman games..... :p

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

I actually finally played Origins recently.......

Whoever its horrible is just as Full of Crap, as the people who think Bioshock 2 is Horrible.

As if every sequel/prequel is suppose to have the that "wow, everything is new" factor.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

If you want an all new Experience.... Playsomething Else......

Play the The Lego Batman games..... :p

City was an "all-new experience" compared to Asylum.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@foxhound_fox

City was Asylum wrapped in the useless Gimmick of Open World design.....

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 foxhound_fox

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#38 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@foxhound_fox

Please explain your opinion.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

You have no Idea how much effort it took not to dignify foxhound_fox's gif with a response.... But I think I'm over it now....

Anyway.... The biggest addition to the Arkham Series was the Open World design, and like Every one I "ooooh'd" and "aaaaaah'd" when I 1st saw it...... Unlike everone I was rather dissapointed to what little difference it made to the gameplay, the execution was Identicle. You Travel from building to building and beat up innocent thugs... Arkham City did have many improcements over Asylum.... But that open world.... Big fat gimmick..... Infact 90% of Open World action games are poorly executed..... People like the idea of it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 branketra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@BranKetra

You have no Idea how much effort it took not to dignify foxhound_fox's gif with a response.... But I think I'm over it now....

Anyway.... The biggest addition to the Arkham Series was the Open World design, and like Every one I "ooooh'd" and "aaaaaah'd" when I 1st saw it...... Unlike everone I was rather dissapointed to what little difference it made to the gameplay, the execution was Identicle. You Travel from building to building and beat up innocent thugs... Arkham City did have many improcements over Asylum.... But that open world.... Big fat gimmick..... Infact 90% of Open World action games are poorly executed..... People like the idea of it.

Please explain how they are poorly executed.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

I just did. Are you blind ?

How about you explain to to me how it wasn't and I repeat the same question and lets see how much you like it ? :p

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 branketra

@Lulu_Lulu: Although you stated reasons which seem to be why you dislike Batman Arkham City such as his method of travel (grapnel hook) and the dubious suggestion that the thugs Batman battles are innocent, you did not actually list any design flaws. What you claim is poor execution is similar to saying Spider-Man 2 is a disappointment because his method of travel (web-slinging from building to building) is something you dislike which means you dislike aspects of those characters. Those games are not at fault for being true to the source material. Next, the actual gameplay or "execution" as you said was not identical to Batman Arkham Asylum. Major differences were designed for Arkham City. There are new enemy types, a greater variety of boss battles, and new side missions. Also, the difference each character in Batman's rogue gallery require different methods to be brought to justice. In addition, the location is more urban than Arkham Asylum, and the amount of playable characters with different techniques have been increased. For these reasons, I requested you further elaborate your perspective. There is no reason to be upset.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

Don't confuse me not being blind to a game's flaws as me disliking that particular game..... I'm not a blind fanboy like everybody else who likes to dick ride everything Rocksteady does and hates it automatically when another studio touches their beloved franchise.

Also your hung up on something I never dissagreed with... Like I said... I know Arkham City is superior to Asylum but the Open World had nothing to do with it..... That was just a gimmick.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By branketra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@BranKetra

Don't confuse me not being blind to a game's flaws as me disliking that particular game..... I'm not a blind fanboy like everybody else who likes to dick ride everything Rocksteady does and hates it automatically when another studio touches their beloved franchise.

Also your hung up on something I never dissagreed with... Like I said... I know Arkham City is superior to Asylum but the Open World had nothing to do with it..... That was just a gimmick.

I am sorry. Calling open-world design a gimmick is not a valid argument; It is an established aspect of video games and is here to stay. Also, I requested you explain what flaws it has and you did not actually give any.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

I already made my actual open world Argument when you asked me to explain its flaws...... You're isolating and mixing my words.....

Anyway I' never imply Arkham City was flawed.... I said its Open World design was flawed......... Okay maybe thats not what I said but thats what I meant.... the central point of my argument has only been about its open world.....

Also banning me was not cool man..... I did nothing wrong.....

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 branketra

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@BranKetra

I already made my actual open world Argument when you asked me to explain its flaws...... You're isolating and mixing my words.....

Anyway I' never imply Arkham City was flawed.... I said its Open World design was flawed......... Okay maybe thats not what I said but thats what I meant.... the central point of my argument has only been about its open world.....

Also banning me was not cool man..... I did nothing wrong.....

The quote above in my post marks the second post in which you said I am doing something I am not. What I did was respond to exactly what you wrote. I do not mean to be mean. Other than the glitch you mentioned earlier, the criticisms you wrote about Arkham City hardly explained anything.

You wrote:

Your criticism of the execution is inadvertently criticism of Batman. Modern Batman has the following methods of travel:

• Batmobile
  • Batjet
  • Batboat
  • Batcycle

The reason for those is because Batman watches over all of Gotham City and occasionally beyond. None of those were viable methods of travel during gameplay of either Arkham Asylum or Arkham City because of their layouts, but the grapnel hook (and optionally the grapnel boost) and gliding via his cape were ideal for those settings. I am not really sure what you are wishing for that Arkham Knight does not promise. Furthermore, open world design beautifully took the strengths of Arkham Asylum and multiplied them in size and scale. In case you did not notice, there were three major territories. They are mostly occupied by Two-Face, Penguin, and Joker gang members, respectively. In them are differences in architecture, Riddler challenges, and I believe the average number of thugs because of the plot. There are many other factors which were built upon the strengths of the idea of an open world game.

Maybe you would prefer a sandbox game instead.

P.S.

Moderations only occur when someone breaks the rules. That is all I have to say.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@BranKetra

Really it explains everything just fine if you played both games..... If you don't see it then thats your own stuff and I can't do anything to change your mind.... Sure I can try but I always know when I'm dealing with a lost cause.....

".....open world design beautifully took the strengths of Arkham Asylum and multiplied them in size and scale."

Which Changed Nothing..... Yes each territory was different cosmetically but thats not my department.... I'm all about gameplay and in Gameplay that Open World.... Big Fat Gimmick.... I don't know why you keep trying to defend Batman by changing the Parameters of the argument.... I suppose thats just what people do.....

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By branketra

There is no need to be rude.

It did change things beyond cosmetics because the map layouts were different. Saying such a thing is merely cosmetic might be considered a trivialization of the level design in the Batman Arkham games. Whether or not you recognize these things is ultimately your choice, but when giving criticism in a public forum and you say stuff like open world gameplay is a gimmick, expect backlash which is why substantiating your claims is so important. I politely requested you explain further and you responded rudely multiple times, so I am not going to continue this discussion.

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

GOTY guaranteed!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MirkoS77

@mercuria1_king said:

GOTY guaranteed!

Looks like it. Unless MGS hits next year, then I imagine that'll get unjustly garner all the GotY awards.