Aren't there any RPG games where you play as the bad guy and win in the end?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Warcraft I and II, if I remember correctly, allowed you control of the Orcs. You could play their campaign and still win. Not sure about WC III though.

tjricardo089

Orcs aren't the 'bad guy'.

they were in warcraft 1 and 2 (they are being controlled by demons mind you)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Warcraft I and II, if I remember correctly, allowed you control of the Orcs. You could play their campaign and still win. Not sure about WC III though.

frannkzappa

I was going to say this, but thank you. The Orcs were the villains to take on in WC1 and 2 and, like frann said, they were controlled by outside forces, if I recall correctly, who are much worse than the orcs.

frannkzappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 frannkzappa
Member since 2012 • 3003 Posts

[QUOTE="frannkzappa"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Metamania

I was going to say this, but thank you. The Orcs were the villains to take on in WC1 and 2 and, like frann said, they were controlled by outside forces, if I recall correctly, who are much worse than the orcs.

the burning legion to be exact.

Mortos13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#54 Mortos13
Member since 2010 • 304 Posts

Overlord :D

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Seriously, KOTOR.

AlbedoSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 AlbedoSnake
Member since 2003 • 10386 Posts

Have you ever heard of Live-a-Live on Super Famicom? You can download a translated ROM to play on a SNES emulator. It's an extremely unique, one-of-a-kind RPG where you play out multiple scenarios across different time periods starring different characters, but unlike the SaGa series, no two scenarios play alike. One scenario has you in space, basically playing out the plot of the movie Alien, whereas another one has you playing as a cowboy, booby-trapping a western town in anticipation of the arrival of a gang of outlaws. It's as awesome as it sounds, though some scenarios are noticeably shorter than others.

Anyway, at the end of the game, you get to select which character you would like to use for the final scenario, and you are actually given the option to play as the final antagonist. You can literally kill all of the good guys and ensure that evil wins across all of time. It's pretty awesome. :)

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Last game series I know of where you were a bad guy and won was the Legacy of Kain games, but those really weren't RPGs.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
There was Evil Genius, though that was more tongue-in-cheek Austin Powers Dr. Evil type evil comedy
Synctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Synctor
Member since 2012 • 31 Posts
I know this isnt exactly what your asking for, but in Suikoden III you can play as the bad guys point of view in the end, you don't get to see them win though.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#61 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Overlord?

Devil Survivor allows you to pick who to fight with. You can side wth Naoya and rule over humanity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Shin_Megami_Tensei_III_Nocturne.jpg

Coincidentally, it's also the greatest RPG ever made.

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

Fallout comes to mind.

chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
Overlord??
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#65 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Disgaea
Avatar image for dragondeathlord
dragondeathlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 dragondeathlord
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Jade Dynasty you get to be the hero or Be As EVIL AS EVIL can be and Make the main bad guys look like good guys, As For Evil prevails in the end. Well in the most Evil Ending you become a Immortal God Emperor And get a Evil Lover By Killing you Adopted dad and eating a Good Goddess Soul Alive and get a Demon as a Right hand Enforcer.. So yes Evil prevails in the end.Evil Ends up better than the good Endings.

khatibi22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#67 khatibi22
Member since 2005 • 7330 Posts

Sure thing. You can be renegade in Mass Effect and no,(spoiler allert! ).............. nobody wins this game anyway:p

And there is Fallout 3 and Fallout NV. There are also older games like Kotor1&2 in which you can be dark and win the game. I am sure there more around but I can't recall right now.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#68  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I've heard Valkyrie Profile Covenant of the Plume has a great revenge tale where you play as a guy literally willing to sacrifice everything, including his friends.

there's also dark souls. While the morality of the entire game is ambiguous, neither ending is happy at all, and your character can easily be seen as the bad guy.

Also these aren't RPGs, but in the two darkness games you play as a gangster who's really not a nice guy.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

This thread is one year old. Why is it bumped?

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#70  Edited By ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

@thom_maytees said:

This thread is one year old. Why is it bumped?

I know, I made this so long ago.

But still havent ran across a game that you star as the antagonist and win in the end.

Games that you can be either or don't count because you generally are still the protagonist. I want to be the real bad guy.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#71  Edited By King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

I would say the SMT games qualify, but that's debatable because God is usually depicted as an asshole in the series, while the demons are the good guys. God is supposed to represent everything that's good, and demons are the opposite, but the games frequently turn that idea on its head.

The Ogre Battle games are another series where you can be a villain and end the game as such. The Knight of Lodis has a particularly crazy ending, but you'll only understand it if you played LUCT.

NerdStar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#72 NerdStar7
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

There may be one a few years, I'm getting a UDK next year and plan to make a few low budget indie games. I've had an idea like this for a long time where you play as the antagonist (the evil one). It's called *The Last King of Ordoor* and is based on a noble king that is cursed and dethroned, the whole kingdom is then filled with the plague and he must try and regain his position in royality by killing anyone in his way. The antagonist when turned evil is a sort of demon knight, watch the UE4 Elemental tech demo, he looks similar to him or even Overlord.

That's if I have the budget though lol!

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ristactionjakso

@nerdstar7 said:

There may be one a few years, I'm getting a UDK next year and plan to make a few low budget indie games. I've had an idea like this for a long time where you play as the antagonist (the evil one). It's called *The Last King of Ordoor* and is based on a noble king that is cursed and dethroned, the whole kingdom is then filled with the plague and he must try and regain his position in royality by killing anyone in his way. The antagonist when turned evil is a sort of demon knight, watch the UE4 Elemental tech demo, he looks similar to him or even Overlord.

That's if I have the budget though lol!

Sounds actually pretty good.

I may have a suggestion if you plan on making a game based on this topic. Just a very broad suggestion tho and Ill try to keep it brief. Demon clan vs. Holy clan back in the old days before christopher columbus founded america. No roads, no fences....just open world and little villages across the land. You are born from a father from the demon clan, and a mother from the holy clan. But you have an older brother. Now, throughout the story, you can make his decisions, and your decisions. You parents FAVOR your older brother. (The reason both clans are ok with your mom and father being together is because they both favor peace because both clans killing each other will lead to one or the other going extinct.) (Both clans are in favor for a person born from each clan to rule them both) You, as the younger, could be jealous of him and rebel against him. Or rule alongside him and be his second hand man in ruling the land doing his deeds. (His deeds could be evil or good depending on the decisions you make as him throughout the story.)

Idk, the story could get pretty deep making decisions for a couple of people in one game, but I thought it would make for massive replay ability, and the game could lead into a mass effect type and the 2nd & 3rd game could lead on from the previous game.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#74  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Plenty of RPG's give you a choice to be the bad guy, particularly among Western RPG's (such as Fable or Fallout) as well as among Japanese RPG's (such as Shin Megami Tensei and the original Dragon Quest). If you don't mean choice-based, then Disgaea had you playing as the bad guy who wants to rule the world, though I have no idea how it ends.

touchscreenpad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 touchscreenpad
Member since 2013 • 220 Posts

Not exactly a bad guy but rather like an anti-hero or something. I think that's what they're called.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

Fallout 3.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

fallout new vegas.

You get to fully join Caesar's Legion (and Powder Gang) which are 100% the bad guys (no Psuedo Anti-Hero Anti-Villian bullshi, they ARE Evil)...and make them win, 100% legit .no "A B C" ending where you only get to go bad at the last second. You can be a villain and join the villains from the very start.

One of the many reasons it owns any of BethesdaGameStudio's latest games.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

@Metamania said:

WCI and WCII are RTS games. :P

TC - What I'm even more tired of is the guilt-ridden bad ass who has a shady past that he can't get over. It's up there with amnesia at this point, honestly. RPG games have run this cliche into the ground. I join you in hating cardboard and/or douchebag protagonists.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#80  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Well, in Planescape: Torment you can play as a bad guy 'till the end.

And by 'bad guy', i'm talking gut-wrenchingly pure evil, treating everyone you encounter like pure shit and doing horrible, horrible things.

You really need a strong stomach to roleplay a bad guy in PS:T and go through with it.

Chevolutionary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Chevolutionary
Member since 2004 • 23293 Posts

Aljosa posted SMT: Nocturne, which is a great example. The SMT games (outside of the Persona series) give you the option take a bad/chaos route, with deeper moral/philosophical choices than a lot of games, where you end up with an obviously bad or obviously good path.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Baldurs Gate 1-2 Fallout 1-2, Arcanum, NWN 2 MotB, Might & Magic 7, likely a bunch I havent playied.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#83 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Knights of the Old Republic has both a "lightside" and "darkside" ending. They are both similar, but functionally different. And you can play as an absolutely cruel person in the main game.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

@Sharpie125 said:

Knights of the Old Republic? The Sith Lords? Those are the first games I think of when talking about RPG morality. And yes, your fall to the dark side in KoTOR 1 is dramatic and tragic for everyone involved.

This, this, and more this. Get KotOR on Steam and you will not be disappointed.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Oh also this just came to mind, one of my all time favorites: Tecmo's Deception on Playstion 1.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

I know this isn't an RPG but it's the only game I can think of when being a full on bad guy that gets to win in the end. Dungeon Keeper 2 as well as Evil Genius.

There's also the entire Disgaea series where you aren't exactly the good guy. But as just about everyone has recommended the games that did what you're asking for best were KOTOR 1 and 2.

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#87  Edited By Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

In Fable 3 you can choose to betray all the promises you made to the people when you become king.

If you really want an unconventional RPG though, look into the rpgs made by Cavia. They made Drakengard 1 and 2 on the PS2, and then Nier which is related to the events after Drakengard. I've only played Nier, but I've heard the main character in Drakengard is some barbaric lunatic who kills everything in his path, and by the end of the game pretty much screws the whole world up for everyone, which leads into Nier. Even in Nier there is no good and evil, and depending on how you look at the main character, he can seem like the hero or the villain.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 ristactionjakso

@Yoshi9000 said:

In Fable 3 you can choose to betray all the promises you made to the people when you become king.

If you really want an unconventional RPG though, look into the rpgs made by Cavia. They made Drakengard 1 and 2 on the PS2, and then Nier which is related to the events after Drakengard. I've only played Nier, but I've heard the main character in Drakengard is some barbaric lunatic who kills everything in his path, and by the end of the game pretty much screws the whole world up for everyone, which leads into Nier. Even in Nier there is no good and evil, and depending on how you look at the main character, he can seem like the hero or the villain.

Iv'e played DG 1 so much it was ridiculous. Like likterally 100 + hours on that game. #2 wasn't as good tho. Ciam was just a bad mofo.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ristactionjakso

@Chevolutionary said:

Aljosa posted SMT: Nocturne, which is a great example. The SMT games (outside of the Persona series) give you the option take a bad/chaos route, with deeper moral/philosophical choices than a lot of games, where you end up with an obviously bad or obviously good path.

Sounds like a good game. Might have to check them out.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Might want to give Alpha Protocol a try. But you do have to give it a chance, takes a while to get used to the clunky gameplay, but once you get past the tutorial missions and get to the part where you choose where to go, it gets pretty good.

Witcher you can play evil... well, more like every choice you make is a bad one. Witcher 2, not so much.... Witcher 2 moved closer to white vs. black aspect of choices.

Planescape: Tormented, you can play anyway you like.

Then there is Dark souls and Demon's Souls, where you can pretty much play any way you like. As well as make a nuisance of yourself to actual people.

I don't consider it a video game, but you can play as a bad Entity in Beyond Two Souls.

There's Bayonetta... you play as a Dark Witch killing a bunch of Heavenly Angels.

@190586385885857957282413308806

how do you remember a user name like that when the cookies gets deleted?

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Fallout New Vegas is the best game you could play for playing an evil character.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ristactionjakso

@chernoalpha527 said:

Fallout New Vegas is the best game you could play for playing an evil character.

How does it run on ps3?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#93  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@AlbedoSnake said:

Have you ever heard of Live-a-Live on Super Famicom? You can download a translated ROM to play on a SNES emulator. It's an extremely unique, one-of-a-kind RPG where you play out multiple scenarios across different time periods starring different characters, but unlike the SaGa series, no two scenarios play alike. One scenario has you in space, basically playing out the plot of the movie Alien, whereas another one has you playing as a cowboy, booby-trapping a western town in anticipation of the arrival of a gang of outlaws. It's as awesome as it sounds, though some scenarios are noticeably shorter than others.

Anyway, at the end of the game, you get to select which character you would like to use for the final scenario, and you are actually given the option to play as the final antagonist. You can literally kill all of the good guys and ensure that evil wins across all of time. It's pretty awesome. :)

Almost forgot about Live-A-Live. Never completed any of the scenarios, but I remember enjoying every moment I played of it. I think I might pick that game up again some time.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#94 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

you can be the biggest dbag in Mass Effect and Dragon Age series' and go through the story that way if you want