Aren't there any RPG games where you play as the bad guy and win in the end?

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 0

#1 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

I don't know of any, if there is please let me know.

I'm tired of rpg's having lame whiney little d-bags for protagonists. Take Tales of Graces f for example. Asbel is kind of a douche. Don't get me wrong, the game is great, combat system is great, the initial story is decent, but I didn't like Asbel and the whole "freindship theme" of the game. It was cheesy as could be and almost intolerable at times for me.

Even games where you are the good guy, but you are a badazz. I hate little cheesy d-bag protagonists.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

If you do not want those type of character you can pick the hollow shell place holders or those with brooding attitudes and whine about their past.

Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
In mass effect and dragon age you can be a rouge otherwise no there aren't many out there. Its all hollywood really, story lines are becoming unoriginal to please the general public and make a ton of money.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts
NWN2: Mask of the betrayer. I don't think any evil ending beats that, you become a god of sorts that every one I mean EVERY one fear and your whole existences is to devour other men and gods alike.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#5 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Warcraft I and II, if I remember correctly, allowed you control of the Orcs. You could play their campaign and still win. Not sure about WC III though.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#6 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series - you can do whatever you want and be whoever you want.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ristactionjakso

That sucks. I don't have a good gaming pc, just the standard hardware in a laptop.

I know there is always Elder scrolls or fallout, but in all reality you arent the real bad guy. You can go around and do bad things but there is the same storyline.

Im talking about a rpg where the actual storyline is played from the antagonist's point of view. For example, lets just take FF7. Normally you play as cloud (he is a awesome protagonists by the way, so no complaints about him). I want a FF where you play through Sephiroth's point of view or something like that. Now that was just an exaple, I would really like a new game like that besides a new FF like that.

A rpg where the whole story is played through the antagonist's point of view would be sweet.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

That sucks. I don't have a good gaming pc, just the standard hardware in a laptop.

I know there is always Elder scrolls or fallout, but in all reality you arent the real bad guy. You can go around and do bad things but there is the same storyline.

Im talking about a rpg where the actual storyline is played from the antagonist's point of view. For example, lets just take FF7. Normally you play as cloud (he is a awesome protagonists by the way, so no complaints about him). I want a FF where you play through Sephiroth's point of view or something like that. Now that was just an exaple, I would really like a new game like that besides a new FF like that.

A rpg where the whole story is played through the antagonist's point of view would be sweet.

ristactionjakso
Nier for ps3 or 360 then, you'll need to replay the game twice though.
Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

Dawn of War 2: Retribution has RPG elements to it(as does Vanilla and Chaos rising bar the multiple playable races), and feels a lot like Warcraft(Bar the base building) if it counts.

You can play through every mission in the main campaign through the Eyes of Chaos and change the events and ultimate ending of the game for evil purposes.

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age has an "Evil mode", but it isn't so much a replaying of the game as it is a a resimulating of key battles in the main story as the enemy rather than the protagonist(all tactics open. If there were 6 waves of enemies to go through when you tried it as good, you will get 6 waves of enemies to kill the main characters with.)

Sharpie125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11 Sharpie125
Member since 2005 • 3904 Posts

Knights of the Old Republic? The Sith Lords? Those are the first games I think of when talking about RPG morality. And yes, your fall to the dark side in KoTOR 1 is dramatic and tragic for everyone involved.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Metamania

I'm tired of rpg's having lame whiney little d-bags for protagonists. Take Tales of Graces f for example. Asbel is kind of a douche. Don't get me wrong, the game is great, combat system is great, the initial story is decent, but I didn't like Asbel and the whole "freindship theme" of the game. It was cheesy as could be and almost intolerable at times for me.

Even games where you are the good guy, but you are a badazz. I hate little cheesy d-bag protagonists.

ristactionjakso

On another note, is Tales Of Graces F worthy of a purchase? I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="ristactionjakso"]

Metamania

On another note, is Tales Of Graces F worthy of a purchase? I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game.

Yes. It is a great game. But it does get cheesy with the whole friendship theme in the game. And some parts of the game can feel drawn out. But overall the game is great and worthy of a $60 purchase. The combat system is addicting and the initial story is great. The titles and artes you learn and customize to your characters add depth to the combat too. I finished the game in about 55 hrs. There are many sidequests to do, you get a new game plus after beating the game, you get another story which takes place about 6 months after the original story, and after beating the original story you unlock a bonus dungeon which gets pretty tough. If you like rpg's then go on and buy it, you wont regret it. Money well spent.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I might be mistaken, but I think you play the badguy in Overlord... never played it I just remember seeing a commercial or ad for it.
lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

The best example I can come up with is Tales of Vesperia. You are not evil exactly, but the main character, Yuri, is a criminal who doesn't mind breaking the law and commiting murder to acompish his goal. One of the big antagonsts is a knight, who is after him because of breaking the law.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ristactionjakso

The best example I can come up with is Tales of Vesperia. You are not evil exactly, but the main character, Yuri, is a criminal who doesn't mind breaking the law and commiting murder to acompish his goal. One of the big antagonsts is a knight, who is after him because of breaking the law.

lazyathew

Ok sounds awesome. What console is it for? I love Tales games.

Avatar image for TheBlackKnight3
TheBlackKnight3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 TheBlackKnight3
Member since 2008 • 1586 Posts

Try the Shin Megami Tensei series, not including Persona. I highly suggest the Devil Survivor games for the DS/3DS if you have that.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

ristactionjakso

Yes. It is a great game. But it does get cheesy with the whole friendship theme in the game. And some parts of the game can feel drawn out. But overall the game is great and worthy of a $60 purchase. The combat system is addicting and the initial story is great. The titles and artes you learn and customize to your characters add depth to the combat too. I finished the game in about 55 hrs. There are many sidequests to do, you get a new game plus after beating the game, you get another story which takes place about 6 months after the original story, and after beating the original story you unlock a bonus dungeon which gets pretty tough. If you like rpg's then go on and buy it, you wont regret it. Money well spent.

Thanks man. This will be my first purchase when I pick up a Playstation 3 in the near future!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Metamania

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

ristactionjakso

It's been made available for 360 and PS3, but the PS3 version is Japanese only, so you may as well get the 360 version, which has been released here. It's my favorite RPG on the 360 and one of the best Tales games I've played. Very addicting!

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

The witcher games your not really a good guy or bad guy in those.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

ristactionjakso

I re-read what I wrote and I think it may be a little misleading so I should clarify. (It's for the 360, though someone already said that.) I said he doesn't mind killing to acomplish his goal, which upon re-reading gave me the impression he will kill someone who has nothing to do with his goal just to help accomplish it. Which is not true. What I mean is, he kills people he truly believes deseve it. People he believes the legal system cannot adequetely punish. He has good intentions, protecting innocent people from criminals, but according to the law, his motives make him a criminal himself. If you ever watched the show Death Note, it is a very similer situation. Yuri is like Lght, and the knight is like L.

robo37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 robo37
Member since 2009 • 36 Posts

Fable (1,The Lost Chapters,2,3)

Star Wars: KOTOR (1,2), Jade Empire, Mass Effect (1,2,3), Dragon Age (Awakening,2,3)

King's Field 4, Demons' Souls, Dark Souls

Elder Scrolls (3,4), Fallout (3, New Vagas, 4)

Dues Ex (1,2,3)

Overlord (1,2)

It's pretty hard to find an RPG that doesn't have a good/evil alignment system nowadays.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#23 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

If you do a bit of RPing in Mass Effect you can make Shepard a sleeper agent for the Reapers, make all the Renegade choices and end the third game by allowing the Reapers to harvest the galaxy. Although, he still whines about it...

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
overlord 1 and 2
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#25 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
The best games that I saw do Evil are the KOTOR games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Those are games you can actually be totally evil and the story/ending will progress with you. Fallout 1 and 2 you can be pretty destructive but the endings don't make you feel like an evil bastard as well as the games mentioned above.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiouds

The best games that I saw do Evil are the KOTOR games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Those are games you can actually be totally evil and the story/ending will progress with you. Fallout 1 and 2 you can be pretty destructive but the endings don't make you feel like an evil bastard as well as the games mentioned above.smerlus

I think the TC wants a game with a main character instead of place holder like in the games you pointed out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 190586385885857957282413308806

[QUOTE="smerlus"]The best games that I saw do Evil are the KOTOR games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Those are games you can actually be totally evil and the story/ending will progress with you. Fallout 1 and 2 you can be pretty destructive but the endings don't make you feel like an evil bastard as well as the games mentioned above.wiouds

I think the TC wants a game with a main character instead of place holder like in the games you pointed out.

If I give you a box or crayons and all you come up with is penis pictures...that's your fault. In other words if you're given a blank character and you can't relate to the character you create....you're a peni...i mean it's your fault. Anyways it just sounded like the topic creator was tired of JRPG characters written by game designers with the skill of 11 year olds and wanted something that japanese developers haven't been able to do correctly since OB: MOTBQ which was an SNES game.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="smerlus"]The best games that I saw do Evil are the KOTOR games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen and NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Those are games you can actually be totally evil and the story/ending will progress with you. Fallout 1 and 2 you can be pretty destructive but the endings don't make you feel like an evil bastard as well as the games mentioned above.smerlus

If I give you a box or crayons and all you come up with is penis pictures...that's your fault. In other words if you're given a blank character and you can't relate to the character you create....you're a peni...i mean it's your fault. Anyways it just sounded like the topic creator was tired of JRPG characters written by game designers with the skill of 11 year olds and wanted something that japanese developers haven't been able to do correctly since OB: MOTBQ which was an SNES game.

If they give you just crayons and tell you to paint. Since crayons has nothing to go with painting, you can not paint.

The same thing with place holder and story telling.

Place holders always feel distant from any story you are watching. What relationship they have is cheap and not deep. They are all more of outside dealing with the problems.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ristactionjakso

I'm really suprised there isn't any RPG's that have you play the role of the antagonist on console. All the games with the choice to be good or bad still have the same storyline ending. I thought maybe there would be a RPG game where you are the bad guy from the get go and there is a party of good guys coming after you the whole game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 190586385885857957282413308806

If they give you just crayons and tell you to paint. Since crayons has nothing to go with painting, you can not paint.

Place holders always feel distant from any story you are watching. What relationship they have is cheap and not deep. They are all more of outside dealing with the problems.

wiouds
Part of me seriously doubts you play any of these wrpgs you're bent on trashing but another part of me can imagine you just sitting there all stink faced wishing you could hear your protagonists pre-pubescent voice and instead of choosing a dialogue option in a game you wish the AI would automatically pick the boy scout option as you grumble through the game. Once again, if you're unable to create an interesting character when you're given a blank slate, then it's nobody fault but your own. I'm going to send you a blank check and watch you complain i'm poor because you only wrote $1.00 on it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 190586385885857957282413308806

I'm really suprised there isn't any RPG's that have you play the role of the antagonist on console. All the games with the choice to be good or bad still have the same storyline ending. I thought maybe there would be a RPG game where you are the bad guy from the get go and there is a party of good guys coming after you the whole game.

ristactionjakso
I think OB:MOTBQ may be your best bet then. I'm not sure if it's on Wii's virtual console or anything but anyways you play as a character in charge of an army that is trying to fend off an invasion but you can actually be a ruthless general the whole game even as far as having the country you fight for stop trusting you. What's interesting about this game is not only do you do this by decisions you make but also through gameplay by bullying the enemy's army (by sending your strongest troops to slaughter their weakest)
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

smerlus

Part of me seriously doubts you play any of these wrpgs you're bent on trashing but another part of me can imagine you just sitting there all stink faced wishing you could hear your protagonists pre-pubescent voice and instead of choosing a dialogue option in a game you wish the AI would automatically pick the boy scout option as you grumble through the game. Once again, if you're unable to create an interesting character when you're given a blank slate, then it's nobody fault but your own. I'm going to send you a blank check and watch you complain i'm poor because you only wrote $1.00 on it.

I play a huge number of WRPG but I am not going to be blind to their weakness. You seem to be one of those that would nitpick everything about JRPG while overlooking the weakness in WRPG.

It more like being able to pick the color of the check to be purple, pink, or yellow and also picking the last digitis of the cents. Even then the check is still not as valueable as other checks you can not pick from.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts

overlord 1 and 2dakan45

Fantastic choice, gosh it was good to be bad in that game.

There's also the first Fable game, you can be pretty nasty (and besides, you look quite badass when evil, sprouting horns and having this deathly red aura around you) and the evil ending was also quite cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 190586385885857957282413308806

I play a huge number of WRPG but I am not going to be blind to their weakness. You seem to be one of those that would nitpick everything about JRPG while overlooking the weakness in WRPG.

It more like being able to pick the color of the check to be purple, pink, or yellow and also picking the last digitis of the cents. Even then the check is still not as valueable as other checks you can not pick from.

wiouds
because you don't like something doesn't make it a weakness. When you see me say Oblivion has a great story, then you would know i'm overlooking a weakness, but to sit there and say NWN 2 MotB has a bad story and a place holder character when it was has one of the better RPG stories/dialogue of 90% of recent RPGs and also do the same for KOTOR, who Lucas Arts has said is cannon and many fans/critics say is better than the last 3 Star Wars movies...then you're delusional.
Lebron181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lebron181
Member since 2008 • 837 Posts

Oh man. The rush of killing little annoying girls with their high pitch.

Forget about that, how about making them extinct!!!

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#37 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

ristactionjakso

Antagonist doesn't necessarily mean evil, it just means someone that's trying to impede the progress of the protagonist. So if you wrote a book about a down on his luck mad scientist trying to destroy the world, the antagonist would be the typical hero/James Bond type trying to stop him. I know that has nothing to do with anything, just throwing that out there.

I think the reason there are so few games were you play as someone directly evil is because the video game industry kind of gets enough flak for violence as it is. If you try to make the main character likeable or relatable, it's a sort of defense mechanism. Like in The Darkness, you're a demon possessed hitman working for the mob, but it has some of the more soul crushing moments in a video game that make you legitimately care for Jackie. At least with place holder RPGs, if anyone tried to criticize Knights of the Old Republic for having an insanely evil ending Bioware could have just said "Well, you don't have to play like that".

Or maybe it's just because being that destructive and murder-y can wear thin quickly. Like Kratos in GoWIII. I remember when you just blatantly murder Hera I said "well, that escalated quickly". I think GoWIII had to introduce Pandora to get a little bit of Kratos' humanity back, or it just would have failed in an area a lot of people already disliked.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
Others may have said this but there is no "winning" in an RPG.
thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

lazyathew

This would make Yuri an anti-hero, not an antagonist.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ristactionjakso

IndianaPwns39

Antagonist doesn't necessarily mean evil, it just means someone that's trying to impede the progress of the protagonist. So if you wrote a book about a down on his luck mad scientist trying to destroy the world, the antagonist would be the typical hero/James Bond type trying to stop him. I know that has nothing to do with anything, just throwing that out there.

I think the reason there are so few games were you play as someone directly evil is because the video game industry kind of gets enough flak for violence as it is. If you try to make the main character likeable or relatable, it's a sort of defense mechanism. Like in The Darkness, you're a demon possessed hitman working for the mob, but it has some of the more soul crushing moments in a video game that make you legitimately care for Jackie. At least with place holder RPGs, if anyone tried to criticize Knights of the Old Republic for having an insanely evil ending Bioware could have just said "Well, you don't have to play like that".

Or maybe it's just because being that destructive and murder-y can wear thin quickly. Like Kratos in GoWIII. I remember when you just blatantly murder Hera I said "well, that escalated quickly". I think GoWIII had to introduce Pandora to get a little bit of Kratos' humanity back, or it just would have failed in an area a lot of people already disliked.

O you know what I meant with the antangonist lol.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ristactionjakso

Others may have said this but there is no "winning" in an RPG.Dracula68
??

What I mean is a rpg where you are the bad guy and kill the good guys in the final battle and win. Bad guys always lose in the end.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lazyathew

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

thom_maytees

Yeah, I know. I was just suggesting the closest thing I could think of. Not exactly what he was asking for, but I figured it was worth mentioning and may pique his interest.

ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ristactionjakso

[QUOTE="thom_maytees"]

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

lazyathew

Yeah, I know. I was just suggesting the closest thing I could think of. Not exactly what he was asking for, but I figured it was worth mentioning and may pique his interest.

It's cool dude. I like like hero's like that. Hero's that are whiney mr. goody pants are annoying. Playing Lords of Shadow right now and really liking it. Belmont isn't exactly a anti hero or a d!ckhead, but he is still a good character.

Reptylus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Reptylus
Member since 2009 • 1875 Posts
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters on PS2. The title sounds like a bad speedmetal band but it's actually a strategy RPG by the makers of Disgaea. Close to the beginning you get to decide either to resist that demon which posseses you or to accept his offer. On first playthrough you basically have to take the hero route because the evil route has high level opponents that can't be beaten without using the New Game + option. But on that second playthrough feel free to follow the path of the demon. It's supposed to be a completly different campaign. That's what the game description says anyway. I haven't played the evil route myself yet, so I can't elaborate on how much it really differs from the hero route. But at least I can tell you that the first thing you do on the evil route is killing the people in you home village.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Warcraft I and II, if I remember correctly, allowed you control of the Orcs. You could play their campaign and still win. Not sure about WC III though.

Metamania

Orcs aren't the 'bad guy'.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
From my experience, and to be a more specific modern example, I could say New Vegas, but trying to be evil in that game isn't very rewarding. Still, you could go with the blatantly evil faction or just get your karma really low and go the independent route.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Not really an RPG and I have only played the beginning of the first, but in Overlord I you play a bad guy. Overlord II features the same evil guy I guess. But if he wins in the end, no idea, and it also has a comical humor to it.

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#48 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Overlord is a fun game, and there is a sequel as well. And well, you play the lord of darkness. There is no morality or choice to be a good overlord. There is just bad, and really bad play mechanics. Well worth giving it a try.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

KOTOR?

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#50 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I don't think there are any games where you actually have to play a bad guy and prevail in the end. In Fallout 3 you can choose to be a truly evil person and succeed in some ways in the end depending on your decisions, but otherwise I couldn't think of any others.