Are you surprised by Carolyn's review on Batman AO?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#301 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

I check GT's video reviews to get a feel on what 'x' game offers. They do a pretty good job in explaining a games strength and weakness . From what I've seen it looks decent and worth a playthrough but not as good as AA or AC at the time of their release date.

Will wait for a price drop and just save for next gen game purchases.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

This isn't even a gaming website anymore.

It's a politically correct propaganda site for "alternative lifestyles", and liberalism. Either you go along with the groupthink, or the mods send you threatening messages.

Seriously, screw this place. I'll check back every few months to see if things are different, but Gamespot has been losing traffic for a while now. I guess their ideology is more important to them than keeping the place alive.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#303  Edited By capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

@Born_Lucky: Well, if you're just going to go rather than go along, I think I know someone who might need a traveling companion.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#304 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@Born_Lucky said:

This isn't even a gaming website anymore.

It's a politically correct propaganda site for "alternative lifestyles", and liberalism. Either you go along with the groupthink, or the mods send you threatening messages.

Seriously, screw this place. I'll check back every few months to see if things are different, but Gamespot has been losing traffic for a while now. I guess their ideology is more important to them than keeping the place alive.

Source please.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 capaho
@c_rakestraw said:

Source please.

That question piqued my interest. Maybe these:

Alexa

Quantcast

Adweek

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#306 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

@capaho: Wow. I ask for a source and someone actually delivers. That's a first!

Hm... not seeing any strong evidence that they're overall traffic has been on a steady decline. Seems like the drops and Alexa are just common ups and downs. Quantcast has hard traffic stats, but even those are mere estimates. Still -- interesting to see.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307  Edited By capaho

@c_rakestraw: I was curious as well, so I looked it up. The Alexa and Quantcast charts do show a downward trend, so his remark is not without merit, and the Adweek article dings GS for being linked to a network of sites known for running up traffic stats.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#308 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

Ok, i usually sorta respect Destructoid and Sterling but this one is harsh

http://www.destructoid.com/review-batman-arkham-origins-264357.phtml

So what does people say to this one, Caro´s was a 6 , Jim´s 3.5 is a complete and utter annihilation of the game.

To be honest, i think they aren't giving the game a fair shake. If you compare it to annual games it's still holds up. I respect Sterling, but i tend to disagree with a man that gave a game a 10 just because of the story even though the gameplay was broken. I like him as a journalist, a reviewer not so much

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

@BranKetra: I'm saying that from October 2011 up til March 2013 I was still playing Arkham City at least 3 times a week. And frankly, I see myself returning to the Iceberg Lounge rather than chasing high scores in the new game in the future.

@capaho: Seriously? You somehow missed all the months of "No Rocksteady = No Buy" threads?

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 capaho

@El_Zo1212o: Seriously. They completely didn't register. I must have been focused on something else at the time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178793 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

My post was an observation on Gram's debate style when he gets angry. It was constructive criticism presented with a respectful manner with many compliments thrown into the mix in the hope of having him tone it down a bit and take it a bit easy in future threads. But apparently wishing for such now qualifies as "dragging someone's name through the mud". And if my single post (which I still stand by) had such an impact as to have him decide to leave the boards forever (unfortunate if he does), then there's other things at play here instead of just me and a few other users voicing our opinions.

I don't know either one of you but the thread got sidetracked quit a bit over it. Maybe we can stop talking about the gram dude now.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#312  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@Jacanuk: He deicded to turn a videogame review into a political statement. A god damn videogame review isn't supposed to be a soapbox from which to bellow about the things wrong with the industry.

He made some very valid points, but at the same time, if I had read this review without having actually played the game, I would have immediately dismissed it as a ridiculous rage article. Especially with that score.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313 El_Zo1212o

@LJS9502_basic: You don't seem to fully appreciate the gravity of the situation. If Gram leaves for good, the collective IQ of the Gamespot forums will decline by somewhere in therange of 13-17 points.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#314  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@Jacanuk: He deicded to turn a videogame review into a political statement. A god damn videogame review isn't supposed to be a soapbox from which to bellow about the things wrong with the industry.

He made some very valid points, but at the same time, if I had read this review without having actually played the game, I would have immediately dismissed it as a ridiculous rage article. Especially with that score.

To be honest a review like this would have gotten me more interested in the game and probably ended up buying it, if i hadn't already played it on steam family sharing. But ya Sterling did rant a bit in the review which sounded more like a jimquisition then a review at some points, but other than that i agree with him on some points, particular that the game was kinda like a slap in the face of what Rocksteady have done with the ip. Because they did just do more of the same, but yet decided to f the batman lore and character design which worked fine before, not to mention Batman sometimes sound like a copy of the bale batman voice.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@El_Zo1212o said:

@LJS9502_basic: You don't seem to fully appreciate the gravity of the situation. If Gram leaves for good, the collective IQ of the Gamespot forums will decline by somewhere in therange of 13-17 points.

You have got to be kidding me.....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#317 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@capaho said:

@Jacanuk said:

So what does people say to this one, Caro´s was a 6 , Jim´s 3.5 is a complete and utter annihilation of the game.

That's rather worrisome. I didn't know that AO was coming from Warner Bros. rather than Rocksteady. Game releases from movie studios have a poor record when it comes to the quality of the game and the gaming experience, so I am now wondering if this is really just an exploitation of the series for a quick profit rather than a meaningful addition to it. The emphasis on DLC is a major negative for me.

Yep, its Warner Brothers Montreal who had taken over the development of a new game, a pretty new studio but they did the Batman Arkham City armored ed. for the WiiU

But dont let Jim´s review scare you, if you liked City then you will also like this one.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@capaho: You are so not helping.

@LJS9502_basic: You said you didn't know him, so I can understand why you'd think that.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#319 LJS9502_basic

@Jacanuk said:

@capaho said:

@Jacanuk said:

That's rather worrisome. I didn't know that AO was coming from Warner Bros. rather than Rocksteady. Game releases from movie studios have a poor record when it comes to the quality of the game and the gaming experience, so I am now wondering if this is really just an exploitation of the series for a quick profit rather than a meaningful addition to it. The emphasis on DLC is a major negative for me.

Yep, its Warner Brothers Montreal who had taken over the development of a new game, a pretty new studio but they did the Batman Arkham City armored ed. for the WiiU

But dont let Jim´s review scare you, if you liked City then you will also like this one.

I'd also not take the review here as definitive. It's much lower than some other reviews.....more like an outlier.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 capaho

@Jacanuk: That's good to know. I really enjoyed AA and AC. If AO plays the same then it should be a good game.