Are you annoyed by your franchise turning MMO?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ptrpedrohung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ptrpedrohung
Member since 2009 • 189 Posts

I'm glad that Fallout is not going MMO. I'm not disparaging MMO games, but I hate how some of my favorite single player games (Elder Scrolls, Warcraft(I enjoy the campaign)) have been turned into MMOs. I don't like paying to play a game every month. Even with the free to play wave I still like to get lost in a big world all on my own to explore and discover the stories. I look forward to sequals because I want to see how the world and stories will be developed, but not at the cost of a monthly payment, risk of server crashes, or dealing with internet assholes.

The other problem with MMO-ized franchises is that the lore will probably stay in the MMO forever. Look at Warcraft, all of the new stories are confined in WoW, effectively preventing any future installment of the franchise. I fear that Star Wars KOTOR is going to face the same fate. If there's a new game installed after the MMO, then that practically spells the death of these MMOs, doesn't it?

What do you think?

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Elder Scrolls was developed and is maintained entirely apart from the team that does the single-player games. Not affecting you at all. But part of the fun is meeting people from the lore of other TES games, like Galerion, who has been in TES books since Morrowind. He's a key player in ESO's Soul-burst storyline and you'll actually fight alongside him for a time.

And a future KotOR doesn't have to affect the MMO at all. We're talking a time period that spans thousands of years. Right now, the old republic is the only place safe for SW lore, thanks to Disney and JJ.

kye-mc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3  Edited By kye-mc
Member since 2008 • 55 Posts

I dont think Final Fantasy ever should have took that choice, don't get me wrong there are alot of ffxiv realm fans but for me it just isn't final fantasy and ruined their tradition of creating deep, meaningful experiences. Thats just my opinion...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@ptrpedrohung said:

I'm glad that Fallout is not going MMO. I'm not disparaging MMO games, but I hate how some of my favorite single player games (Elder Scrolls, Warcraft(I enjoy the campaign)) have been turned into MMOs. I don't like paying to play a game every month. Even with the free to play wave I still like to get lost in a big world all on my own to explore and discover the stories. I look forward to sequals because I want to see how the world and stories will be developed, but not at the cost of a monthly payment, risk of server crashes, or dealing with internet assholes.

The other problem with MMO-ized franchises is that the lore will probably stay in the MMO forever. Look at Warcraft, all of the new stories are confined in WoW, effectively preventing any future installment of the franchise. I fear that Star Wars KOTOR is going to face the same fate. If there's a new game installed after the MMO, then that practically spells the death of these MMOs, doesn't it?

What do you think?

First have you even played ESO?,and if so besides the few betas?

But of course not, why would i be mad? Because in the end no one knows what the end product is so if they dont try, well thats obvious. So i would rather they try then not try at all.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

This thing of getting mad at stuff that doesn't affect your stuff has got to stop. Also MMOs suck !

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Ish_basic: They barely touch the story of the KOTOR in SWTOR. So that shouldn't be a problem

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#7  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Not really, although I am genuinely shattered because the newest Legacy of Kain game is a MOBA

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

All MMO's suck. Just my opinion.