Are we gamers divided?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

12Danny123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By 12Danny123
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

there are some extremist (like ISIS) gamers who troll every article and cause flamebait and promote their brand while there are true gamers that respect each console and PC

Don't you agree?

PS: The only true gamer that I TRULY respect is Phil Spencer. Why Can't we have someone like him that represents gamers. Not some stupid PS and XB fans

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It's been going on for a long time. Doesn't make it right. I love games no matter what platform.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#4 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Car guys love cars, but they still argue about brands. If the domestics don't hate on imports then the domestics hate on other domestics.

"You hate what you don't have and don't understand, and cherish what you do" =FanBoy.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#5 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Well, I have gamer friends who don't want to call themselves gamers because of GamerGate, and they want me to stop calling myself a gamer, too. Because "every self-described gamer is a pretty despicable person." Why is the gamer community the only kind of community that has THAT kind of dissonance?

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 polishkid99

@JustPlainLucas said:

Well, I have gamer friends who don't want to call themselves gamers because of GamerGate, and they want me to stop calling myself a gamer, too. Because "every self-described gamer is a pretty despicable person." Why is the gamer community the only kind of community that has THAT kind of dissonance?

What I've noticed from "Gamers" is that they attempt to be the most intellectually superior person in any conversation. Even though they don't have any of the credentials to back themselves up other than "self-teaching" themselves to build pc's and learn some new terminology. Arrogance, fanboyism and their self-righteous opinions are overwhelming traits as well, and ultimately this just turns people off.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#8  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@polishkid99 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

What I've noticed from "Gamers" is that they attempt to be the most intellectually superior person in any conversation. Even though they don't have any of the credentials to back themselves up other than "self-teaching" themselves to build pc's and learn some new terminology. Arrogance, fanboyism and their self-righteous opinions are overwhelming traits as well, and ultimately this just turns people off.

Yeah, but there's an entirely different group of gamers that aren't like that, and it's so annoying when your own gamer friends try to lump you into that group just because you still insist upon calling yourself a gamer.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 polishkid99
@JustPlainLucas said:

@polishkid99 said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

Yeah, but there's an entirely different group of gamers that aren't like that, and it's so annoying when your own gamer friends try to lump you into that group just because you still insist upon calling yourself a gamer.

That's just a general overview. there are many exceptions. Everyone has their own view on culture, and that's just what video games are. There may be sexism or lies relevant within the culture and everyone will argue over anything as long as there's even a shred of something to argue about. The only way to overcome all the nonsense is to focus on yourself and what you believe, then you'll truly enjoy what you enjoy without any third party influence ruining everything for you.

Avatar image for frankiebotzkidd
frankiebotzkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 frankiebotzkidd
Member since 2014 • 68 Posts

@12danny123: i agree. it is annoying. you should appreciate a good game regardless of platform. . having personal opinions is fine but being a hardcore brand loyalist makes you look silly . point blank . end the madness lol .

12Danny123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 12Danny123
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

I gotta agree with you guys. Gamers are pretty much the most hated type of people especially for the miscommunication of Gamergate

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@frankiebotzkidd said:

@12danny123: i agree. it is annoying. you should appreciate a good game regardless of platform. . having personal opinions is fine but being a hardcore brand loyalist makes you look silly . point blank . end the madness lol .

I totally agree

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Ofcourse gamers are divided, we are even more exclusive of other people than football fans are.

And its not just consoles, gamers meet everything with a childish "No girls Allowed in the tree fort" Attitude.

The fact that we refer to ourselves as gamers only makes things worse, as if we are so special and different that we refer to ourselves after the entertainment we indulge in.

Gamers Suck !

Patacon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Patacon92
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

One of the things I've noticed is that although I tend to have preferences toward one console during any particular generation, I respect those who have another preference toward another. For example, back in the sixth generation, My favorite console was the Playstation 2, yet my friend favored the Nintendo Gamecube. Even though I felt the PS2 was the superior console, I never tried to prove my point to my friend because I not only respected his preference, but also the Gamecube it'self. (I had bought a used Gamecube back in 05 So I knew what the system was like.

That being said, I am divided from most mainstream gamers on a lot of issues.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

I think that more people should realize that whatever they see as a community is, at this point, only held together by a shared preference for playing videogames and very little else. At least, that's how I experience it. I see so many people claiming 'gamers want this' and 'gamers don't like that', but who are these gamers? There are still people who feel immediately addressed (and attacked) when someone starts a phrase with 'gamers', even though that term could refer to all kinds of people. To me it has become a bit of an empty term.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

Don't be a damn sheep.

There are literally hundreds of millions of people who play video games. "Gamers" are neither your super awesome club nor a single entity.

The "OMG EPIC GAMER CULTURE XDDDD" America introduced into the industry is like the cancer eating it alive.

Gamers were never "united", that's complete BS.

It's like saying people who watch movies are united or that book readers are united. If you don't see what's wrong with this then you're part of the toxic culture that needs to go.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kakamoura

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Ofcourse gamers are divided, we are even more exclusive of other people than football fans are.

And its not just consoles, gamers meet everything with a childish "No girls Allowed in the tree fort" Attitude.

The fact that we refer to ourselves as gamers only makes things worse, as if we are so special and different that we refer to ourselves after the entertainment we indulge in.

Gamers Suck !

That's natural and healthy.

Perhaps you suck not other people.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@kakamoura

Its that kind of thinking thats wrong with Gamers... Always pointing fingers

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kakamoura

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kakamoura

Its that kind of thinking thats wrong with Gamers... Always pointing fingers

Which is what you did.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lulu_Lulu

@kakamoura

Exactly... I point to where the problem is coming from...

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kakamoura

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kakamoura

Exactly... I point to where the problem is coming from...

You didn't point to yourself.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@kakamoura

Because I'm not the jack ass who sends people he doesn't like Death threats.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kakamoura

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@kakamoura

Because I'm not the jack ass who sends people he doesn't like Death threats.

That's like calling all muslims terrorists for the actions of some extremists.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@kakamoura

Oh please. Its a hobby not a religion.... Gamers are not as innocent as they claim to be....

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#26 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i think gamers are a bit divided. We got PC gamers vs Console gamers. Only thing i really hate is if a game ends up lacking in potential cause it was dumbed down because it had to be released on consoles also.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

We are divided by our taste in games but united as those that enjoy Videogames.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Is there a reason to be united?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

It's been going on for a long time. Doesn't make it right. I love games no matter what platform.

Yeah exactly.

For some reason some people feel they have to pick a "side" and end up having a "them vs us" mentality. It's ridiculous.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@Treflis said:

We are divided by our taste in games but united as those that enjoy Videogames.

An agreement on what defines a game cannot be made half the time. I enjoyed Gone Home and Dear Esther, but others refuse to even acknowledge those as video games... We're divided in taste and classification.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@hrt_rulz01: this is true with anything in life. No matter what you enjoy or do, there's always going to be an "us", vs. "them" mentality. It's just human nature, we find a way to divide ourselves on pretty much anything. It's a miracle our species hasn't nuked itself to oblivion.

To me, video games are just entertainment. They are not worth getting so worked up over. They are fun to play, and they're fun to discuss on forums, but that's as far as it goes. If I find getting myself so worked up over them, I have to take a step back and reevaluate what's important..... because in the larger scheme of things, they are pathetically irrelevant.

Avatar image for johnnybrazelton
JohnnyBrazelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JohnnyBrazelton
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hmm, we are divided by taste and the games that are classified. There are number of games with their unique features and credibility such as counter strike, call of duty etc. which folks love to play.
And these games are define by so many characteristics and features, and accordingly the folks also divided into these section as a gamers.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@hrt_rulz01: this is true with anything in life. No matter what you enjoy or do, there's always going to be an "us", vs. "them" mentality. It's just human nature, we find a way to divide ourselves on pretty much anything. It's a miracle our species hasn't nuked itself to oblivion.

To me, video games are just entertainment. They are not worth getting so worked up over. They are fun to play, and they're fun to discuss on forums, but that's as far as it goes. If I find getting myself so worked up over them, I have to take a step back and reevaluate what's important..... because in the larger scheme of things, they are pathetically irrelevant.

Very true.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

To put it simple yes we are divided to an extent.

Each person who is a gamer has different tastes in genres, games ect ect and it's very rare for fellow gamers to agree what is a good game or what isn't, or even find common ground. You also have quiet a few toxic communities in games which actually splits us even more apart, sure you have a few decent souls in those games but they are greatly outnumbered now.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

I've always disagreed with fanboyism in regards to consoles and games. There are different situations for every game or console, and factors why people might or not buy some things. Buy and play what you wan't, it really doesn't and shouldn't effect you when somebody buys a game or console you disagree with

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I wouldn't exactly caterogize the gaming community as "divided" instead I would say that it's become increasingly toxic. We all have preferences which is perfectly fine and natural but the way some people voice those preferences which is the problem. It's not enough for some people to simply say that something doesn't interest them they have to trash it and berate anyone who likes that something.

naomeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 naomeh
Member since 2010 • 66 Posts

Only division is between people who do it for fun and people who play seriously/professionally, imo.