Are videogames a matter of entertainment only?

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Do you play games just to pass the time? Or do you appreciate it as something else... art maybe...

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

This is the problem.  Games can be so much more than that.  Books and movies often are.  But 99% of games out there are largely just escapist entertainment. 

Games could become powerful story mediums that provoke, inspire, educate, persuade, and evoke complex emotions in people.

Instead, a girl is kidnapped, grab a gun, shoot through 15 levels and watch entertaining cutscenes in between.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#3 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Depends on the game. Some are meant for litle more than a good time and others are more about being an experience.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 turtlethetaffer

This is the problem.  Games can be so much more than that.  Books and movies often are.  But 99% of games out there are largely just escapist entertainment. 

Games could become powerful story mediums that provoke, inspire, educate, persuade, and evoke complex emotions in people.

Instead, a girl is kidnapped, grab a gun, shoot through 15 levels and watch entertaining cutscenes in between.

drekula2

There are plenty of games in both camps.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

turtlethetaffer

no there are not
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

Lulu_Lulu

no there are not

Let me re phrase. There are both games that are meant to simply entertain and there are games that are meant to be more "artistic." Of course there aren't as many of the latter because people don't buy them as much.  but to imply that every single game is all rooty tooty is wrong.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

no there are not

Let me re phrase. There are both games that are meant to simply entertain and there are games that are meant to be more "artistic." Of course there aren't as many of the latter because people don't buy them as much.  but to imply that every single game is all rooty tooty is wrong.

There are not plenty of games in both camps, the ratio is way off.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] no there are notLulu_Lulu

That's what I just said. I corrected myself.  But to imply that every game is mindless is just stupid.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

turtlethetaffer

That's what I just said. I corrected myself.  But to imply that every game is mindless is just stupid.

and who "implied" that they were ? Definately wasn't me.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#10 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Depends on the game.turtlethetaffer
Precisely.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

My problem with labeling something as art is that some will use that as a get out of jail free card.

"This game play suck. All you do is move to the right."

"You don't get it. It is art."

"I can tell where my character can interact with."

"You don't get it. It is art."

netwrksman1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 netwrksman1212
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Just like anything else it depends on the specific work. Some games would easily be considered art where most are just entertainment. No different then movies, tv, or comic books.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
It very much depends as with any medium such a movies or music but I wouldn't say they'd be Games then. As it stands now the vast majority is for entertainment purposes and therefor a product intended as a commodity. To put it into perspective, as great as games like Balduers gate, Mass Effect, Doom, Half-life, Grand Theft Auto, Bioshock etc. are, They are not considered art. Saying they are is like saying "Die Hard", "Bad Boys", "Casablanca", "Gone with the Wind" are art. They are classics and that in itself is very high praise. But they aren't art. For a game to be considered art then it has to do the same thing that Paintings do or Artistic movies, It has to be open for a vast number of interpetation and affect people emotionally different. But since it would be interactive then one might need to add a large amount of artistic moments within the "game". Being entertaining wouldn't be the goal but rather make you think and affect your emotions. But if that were to happen then it wouldn't be a "game", it'd be interactive art. So technically, Videogames would essentially just be for entertainment.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Treflis"]It very much depends as with any medium such a movies or music but I wouldn't say they'd be Games then. As it stands now the vast majority is for entertainment purposes and therefor a product intended as a commodity. To put it into perspective, as great as games like Balduers gate, Mass Effect, Doom, Half-life, Grand Theft Auto, Bioshock etc. are, They are not considered art. Saying they are is like saying "Die Hard", "Bad Boys", "Casablanca", "Gone with the Wind" are art. They are classics and that in itself is very high praise. But they aren't art. For a game to be considered art then it has to do the same thing that Paintings do or Artistic movies, It has to be open for a vast number of interpetation and affect people emotionally different. But since it would be interactive then one might need to add a large amount of artistic moments within the "game". Being entertaining wouldn't be the goal but rather make you think and affect your emotions. But if that were to happen then it wouldn't be a "game", it'd be interactive art. So technically, Videogames would essentially just be for entertainment.

Wrong. "Art" and "entertainment" are not mutually exclusive. Every one of those movies and games that you've listed is entertainment. It's also art. http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/art Also, while most video games exist primarily for the purpose of entertainment, few of them function solely as a form of entertainment. Even the dumbest video games typically express ideas and reinforce the values of the creators.
Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

But they aren't art. For a game to be considered art then it has to do the same thing that Paintings do or Artistic movies, It has to be open for a vast number of interpetation and affect people emotionally different. But since it would be interactive then one might need to add a large amount of artistic moments within the "game". Being entertaining wouldn't be the goal but rather make you think and affect your emotions. But if that were to happen then it wouldn't be a "game", it'd be interactive art. So technically, Videogames would essentially just be for entertainment.Treflis

It's art if you want it to be. Nobody has ever come up with a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for being art and nobody ever will. What separates material as worthy or not worthy of being displayed in a gallery of art is the opinion of a pseudo-intellectual hipster collective trying to justify the 100k they each spent on their art majors by serving as the self-appointed doormen to high culture.

As far as entertainment only, games have been used for everything from teaching (simulators, yes, but also games like Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego) to promoting political campaigns. It comes down to what the developer has in mind to do with the game.

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

drekula2

Dont play very many games do you? Or perhaps you only play games that get good reviews from 12 year old kids?

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

No, there's plenty of games of all types. Lots can be emotional or educational. Not only are games COD or GTA, there's also Antichamber, Reus, Dyad, Rome 2 Total War, The 39 Steps, etc.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu
I have know idea what art is, infact I think you people are making this sh!t up.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Do you play games just to pass the time? Or do you appreciate it as something else... art maybe...

Tqricardinho
Games are right now a entertainment source and despite some games that try to be more, noone has really succeeded
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds

What if I say that if a game is being good entertainment then it is also good art?

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

drekula2
Funny thing is you described Taken almost exactly. Movies can be terrible just like games can be more meaningful. I'm not saying Taken was terribly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But like movies (a more respected medium) where you have a ton of mindless action movies, you have games (a medium obviously taken less seriously) like Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, and To the Moon that break the general opinion.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wiouds

[QUOTE="drekula2"]

firefox59

Funny thing is you described Taken almost exactly. Movies can be terrible just like games can be more meaningful. I'm not saying Taken was terribly, I enjoyed it quite a bit. But like movies (a more respected medium) where you have a ton of mindless action movies, you have games (a medium obviously taken less seriously) like Lost Odyssey, Bioshock, and To the Moon that break the general opinion.

I would be careful about calling a movie a mindless action since some of those movies have a great deal of though put into them. I would dare say that they take more though than arty movies.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I play videogames because i enjoy being immersed and its an art.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#24 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
I don't solely play them for entertainment. I also play them because they are art and often also ask questions about society
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 turtlethetaffer

I don't solely play them for entertainment. I also play them because they are art and often also ask questions about societyThe_Last_Ride

I find that many games that try to say something don't have strong enough writing to be as profound as they'd like.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] There are not plenty of games in both camps, the ratio is way off.Lulu_Lulu

TC did. I was reffering to them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

turtlethetaffer

TC did. I was reffering to them.

how dare he say imply such a thing ! Lets report him ! Just kidding........ Or am I ? ;)
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#28 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Video gaming is entertainment and a craft to work, but I consider some video games works of art.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

Tqricardinho

I appreciate games for so much more than just entertainment.

But in reality any Video Game(besides educational games), Movie/Tv Show(besides documentaries), and fictional books, are only a matter of entertainment.

There may be messages you can take away from them, but in the end it is all only there to be entertainment, and in most cases for money.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]I don't solely play them for entertainment. I also play them because they are art and often also ask questions about societyturtlethetaffer

I find that many games that try to say something don't have strong enough writing to be as profound as they'd like.

True, many of them are either too long or get weaker through out the game. But there are games that do set some good questions about society, etc. But yeah not all games manage it
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Depends on the game.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]I don't solely play them for entertainment. I also play them because they are art and often also ask questions about societyThe_Last_Ride

True, many of them are either too long or get weaker through out the game. But there are games that do set some good questions about society, etc. But yeah not all games manage it

Well take for instance Far Cry 3. The entire game it felt like it was trying to say something.  But the characters were si shallow and the plot so poorly written that it came off as laughable.

Honestly, Idk if I've ever played a game that really made me question society as a whole. Individuals, sure, like with Silent Hill Shattered Memories. But for the most part it seems that games either try too hard or they don't try hard enough.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Tqricardinho

I play games to simply pass the time. I know it takes some serious coding and time to make a game. But, that's the extent of my appreciation of it. Games as art? Nope.

The closest I come to regarding games as art is taking screenshots of my (PC) games and making them my wallpaper. I consider the screenshot as art, not the game.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

Well take for instance Far Cry 3. The entire game it felt like it was trying to say something.  But the characters were si shallow and the plot so poorly written that it came off as laughable.

Honestly, Idk if I've ever played a game that really made me question society as a whole. Individuals, sure, like with Silent Hill Shattered Memories. But for the most part it seems that games either try too hard or they don't try hard enough.

I learned through DA:O and Mass Effect that things aren't always black and white. I tend to go for the good guy choices, but sometimes i think this is stupid and should be handled this way. Witcher 2 might also be a good example of that.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Entertainment. That's what toys are for.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 The_Last_Ride

Renegade_Fury
you don't consider games as art?
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

The_Last_Ride

I dont get Art, I think its all Bullsh!t. Its a terrible concert.
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu
concept
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

i personally dont see video games as art just like i dont see movies as art or stupid art installations of trash arranged to look like trash.

i think games are something else. if you can call it a hybrid then call it a hybrid. i mean theres definitely pretty or realistic aeshtetics, technical art and graphics, but its interaction. its an imagination projector to me...which is entertaining

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#40 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Of course not. They're as much an art form as any other form of media. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wiouds

Of course not. They're as much an art form as any other form of media. Anyone who says otherwise is crazy.

c_rake

What part of a game is the real question. I would say that The Journy is not good art when it is look at as a game.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
I just need to comment on something here, the notion that games should be this or that. That they should be all about the gameplay or they shouldn't resort to non-interactive means to tell the story or get the point across. I don't necessarily see it that way, I think that's pigeonholing video games into a tiny little whole when it appears that the goal of many developers is to take a broader approach from different media. Then there's this disconnect where some gamers say "but it shouldn't be that way, because it's a game." The obvious rebuttal to that would be, "well, the intent was to make it MORE than just a game." How well developers succeed at that is another thing entirely. And I'd also say that some developers make their games that way not out of a need to actually say or express anything, but out of a desire to legitimize their work by emulating Hollywood. But regardless, my problem is this: If we take the idea that games should be this or that, and reject games when that's not the case, then that's all that games will ever be. Do the vast majority of video games find their primary value in interactivity? Yes. The thing is, if we then extrapolate that into the claim that interactivity is paramount all the time, and that everything in games should be interactive, then we've just closed our minds to anyone who is using a multifaceted approach to make something that is more than just a game. People talk about gameplay and how the utmost important thing is for a game to be fun. Well...why? Most movies are fun too, but there are also a $hitload of really good movies that aren't fun to watch at all. And that's getting to another thing. Movies are formulaic and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator too. But moreso than video games, there's this thing where people judge movies less on what it IS and more on what it DOES. Why are we treating "interaction" and "fun" as some kind of holy grail, and why does the fact that it is a video game rather thn a movie necessitate that it must only do certain things? At that point, we're just following "rules". And in art, "rules" typically means "doing it this way tends to work" rather than "it must be done this way". Treat the rules as gospel, and you're downplaying the RESULTS. And art is all about results. Or let's put it this way. There was this photographer named Andres Serrano who produced a gorgeous image of Jesus on the cross. The image was full of deep reds which indicated Christ's suffering, while Christ himself and the cross were bathed in soothing yellow light from above. At face value, it's a gorgeous, possibly even reverent image. But...the colors and lighting were achieved by dunking a crucifix into a vat of piss and blood. At which point there was an uproar because "you can't do that to Jesus". The actual image? F*** THAT! Who cares about the RESULTS (for example, a well-told story that resonates with its audience) when we can b**** and moan about the METHODS (such as, that story was delivered via video game cutscenes rather than via a movie). What's more important here? That "it's a game, and you don't do that in a game", or that "this work or art resulted in me feeling this and thinking that?" Results, people. Ask not what it IS, ask what it DOES.
blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

Well, to be fair it's not like the majority of movies are super thought provoking, or at least the popular ones usually aren't.  Every form of media has its fair share of purely entertainment products.  Video games have more of them than the artistic ones, but these days we are getting a good amount of more artistic/emotional/though provoking games (i.e. The Unfinished Swan, Journey, Ico, Bioshock series, probably Beyond: Two Souls [I say probably since it's not out yet, but from what they've previewed it seems to be an emotional roller coaster], and so on).

But it's easier to promote action games, and they're not bad games, but to answer your question, there are games that fit into different categories other than just crazy action/entertainment (though, I find the games I listed to be very entertaining, so perhaps that's the wrong word choice).

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Lulu_Lulu

So what are videogames then? They are stull culture
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]I just need to comment on something here, the notion that games should be this or that. That they should be all about the gameplay or they shouldn't resort to non-interactive means to tell the story or get the point across. I don't necessarily see it that way, I think that's pigeonholing video games into a tiny little whole when it appears that the goal of many developers is to take a broader approach from different media. Then there's this disconnect where some gamers say "but it shouldn't be that way, because it's a game." The obvious rebuttal to that would be, "well, the intent was to make it MORE than just a game." How well developers succeed at that is another thing entirely. And I'd also say that some developers make their games that way not out of a need to actually say or express anything, but out of a desire to legitimize their work by emulating Hollywood. But regardless, my problem is this: If we take the idea that games should be this or that, and reject games when that's not the case, then that's all that games will ever be. Do the vast majority of video games find their primary value in interactivity? Yes. The thing is, if we then extrapolate that into the claim that interactivity is paramount all the time, and that everything in games should be interactive, then we've just closed our minds to anyone who is using a multifaceted approach to make something that is more than just a game. People talk about gameplay and how the utmost important thing is for a game to be fun. Well...why? Most movies are fun too, but there are also a $hitload of really good movies that aren't fun to watch at all. And that's getting to another thing. Movies are formulaic and dumbed down to the lowest common denominator too. But moreso than video games, there's this thing where people judge movies less on what it IS and more on what it DOES. Why are we treating "interaction" and "fun" as some kind of holy grail, and why does the fact that it is a video game rather thn a movie necessitate that it must only do certain things? At that point, we're just following "rules". And in art, "rules" typically means "doing it this way tends to work" rather than "it must be done this way". Treat the rules as gospel, and you're downplaying the RESULTS. And art is all about results. Or let's put it this way. There was this photographer named Andres Serrano who produced a gorgeous image of Jesus on the cross. The image was full of deep reds which indicated Christ's suffering, while Christ himself and the cross were bathed in soothing yellow light from above. At face value, it's a gorgeous, possibly even reverent image. But...the colors and lighting were achieved by dunking a crucifix into a vat of piss and blood. At which point there was an uproar because "you can't do that to Jesus". The actual image? F*** THAT! Who cares about the RESULTS (for example, a well-told story that resonates with its audience) when we can b**** and moan about the METHODS (such as, that story was delivered via video game cutscenes rather than via a movie). What's more important here? That "it's a game, and you don't do that in a game", or that "this work or art resulted in me feeling this and thinking that?" Results, people. Ask not what it IS, ask what it DOES.

We're not putting limits on games, I also want it to be more than just a game but a line must be drawn somewhere lest somebody sh!ts in a game case and calls it a game. As for Art, that photographer got exactly what he deserved , I'm not saying he shouldn't have done what he did or done it differently, I'm saying Art doesn't give you a free pass to be a d!ck, its not a get out of anything excuse. People should make art but don't be a coward or play the victim when its time to own up to your "art". Take responsibility like a f#cking Man !
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lulu_Lulu
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] you don't consider games as art?

In not talking about video games, I mean any art general. Tell me the Mona Lisa is one in a billion master piece that should be cherish forever and I'l agree with you, but mention the word art or aesthetics and you've lost me. Same thing with games like Journey. I just don't "art"
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] We're not putting limits on games, I also want it to be more than just a game but a line must be drawn somewhere lest somebody sh!ts in a game case and calls it a game. As for Art, that photographer got exactly what he deserved , I'm not saying he shouldn't have done what he did or done it differently, I'm saying Art doesn't give you a free pass to be a d!ck, its not a get out of anything excuse. People should make art but don't be a coward or play the victim when its time to own up to your "art". Take responsibility like a f#cking Man !

What's it to you if someone $hits in a game case and calls it a game? So long as you're doing your job and keeping your attention on what it does rather than just going "ooh, a game, I'll get that" then it won't affect you one bit. What's it to you if someone poops on a canvas and calls it art?
Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Given the inherently nebulous and elastic definition of art, games can and do fit snugly into that category. Like all media, some games are clearly meant more as a product than a deeper thematic exploration of the human condition but clearly there are games that address all manner of issues and mine those more profound subjects and the number of games that aspire to do so is ever-growing.

The other thing to consider is that even games that are seen as bereft of any deeper substance could very well have something to say but fall victim to superficial analysis. The film Taken was mentioned in this thread and while it would be easy to dismiss that film as a relatively linear action movie, I could also posit an argument that the film offers an interesting exploration of a father's concerted and unconditional love that manifests in a slew of dead bodies left in his wake as he pursues her kidnappers.

There is something downright poetic about the manner in which he so deftly and effortlessly slices through the ranks of these nefarious underworld minions specifically because his violence is propelled by something pure even if that motivation forces him to do grisly and sometimes horrible things. There is a juxtaposition of love and violence on display in this film that belies the notion of it being some mere vapid excursion in revenge-fantasy.

Or you could make the argument that Taken is just Liam Neeson kicking ass for two hours. ;)

The point is that art is a process; art is an outcome; art is a product; art is the obscure; art is the niche; art is the popular.

But most importantly, art is whatever the hell YOU THINK it is when you bump into it.

I would argue that the only true problem is when somebody else tries to tell you what ISN'T art because frankly, they are in no position to make that call.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wiouds

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Lulu_Lulu"] I dont get Art, I think its all Bullsh!t. Its a terrible concert.Lulu_Lulu

In not talking about video games, I mean any art general. Tell me the Mona Lisa is one in a billion master piece that should be cherish forever and I'l agree with you, but mention the word art or aesthetics and you've lost me. Same thing with games like Journey. I just don't "art"

The Journey is something that stand for two huge problems that can hurt gaming. The first is graphic over game play. I jave not heard a single good thing about the game play in The Journey that was good but I hear everyone just throwing it away because the graphic is so good. The second is the over valuing the indie games. The second problem is that it show the overvaluing of indie games. Over all I would say that it is a poorly crafted games. I know some would say it is a master piece of art.

The lead to what is is art. Some seem to have a tiny box and only those things in the tiny box is art. It seem that to them a a good movie is only about the interal conflict of a character. To me that is too narrow. A masterful made action movie is art in it own way and may be even hard to craft. A game that masterfully blend entertaining game play, a good story, good graphic and good audio is a master piece of art.Â