Anyone else trying to lower their expectations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#1 TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

I'm wondering if any of you guys out there retain the same amount of paranoia as I do about all these ultra-hyped next gen games coming out. I mean, I would not be surprised if games such as Watch Dogs or Destiny turned out to be average, but I feel it would still be a major disappointment. If history repeats itself (Halo 2, Halo 3, etc), then a game like Halo 5 will turn out to be a pretty basic game- underwhelming compared to the pre-release hype. And I don't believe we gamers are to be blamed for such a thing, and I do believe blame must be mostly placed upon the developers. Too many times they make extravagant promises or exaggerated claims that are either: cut from the final game, turn out to be extremely lackluster in comparison to what was displayed or discussed, or just a flat-out, cruel lie.

Just recently there was all the controversy over the downgrade in Watch Dog's graphics in comparison to the E3 Conference demos, and Destiny's recent lackluster trailers have seemingly killed a lot of the anticipation. I feel like many games such as these, for the most part, fail to live up to the imagination, or at least satisfy it in some way. Do not get me wrong, I am still excited for Watch Dogs and Destiny, but I am trying to lower my expectations, while at the same time, keeping my fingers intently crossed.

LiquidButter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidButter
Member since 2014 • 46 Posts

I feel like Watch Dogs is going to be a 10/10. Destiny seems like it'll be much less impressive based on all the early impressions from journalists.

FragSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FragSponge
Member since 2005 • 194 Posts

take the average score of the hype & then reduce it by half tbh

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

You can't be too excited about going into a game that you know nothing about or that you just found a minute before downloading/buying it. I try to do this now, especially now that I place mostly Freeware games.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I learned my lesson long ago to not have high expectations from the start.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

I try to lower my exceptions, but sometimes it doesn't work. I am naturally hopeful and a daydreamer.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

All the time, hence the reason why I enjoy soooo many games. Hell I loved Amazing spiderman 2! why? because i didnt go into it expecting Infamous second son.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

I disagree about the part where you say its the developer's fault....... No matter how missleading or downright dishonest they are.... Its the gamers fault.....

TheManofTin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#9  Edited By TheManofTin
Member since 2011 • 395 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I disagree about the part where you say its the developer's fault....... No matter how missleading or downright dishonest they are.... Its the gamers fault.....

That's where I have to disagree. We should not be responsible for developers' dishonesty, and it's mentalities like yours that make developers and publishers constantly screw over their customers. Flat out lying, and misleading should NEVER be acceptable, but if we keep taking blame for it, they are not going to stop.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
@TheManofTin said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

That's where I have to disagree. We should not be responsible for developers' dishonesty, and it's mentalities like yours that make developers and publishers constantly screw over their customers. Flat out lying, and misleading should NEVER be acceptable, but if we keep taking blame for it, they are not going to stop.

Unless the developer is a part of the PR team, I'm not sure how many outright lie to you, most don't have a voice.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

no, i don't. not about games anyway. i want to fully enjoy the fruits of labour that the developers put into it. if the game falters, it falters. if not, then not. flaws and falters do not make a bad game. if the game is unwinnable due to it being unplayable, then i won't enjoy the game and i'll consider it bad. otherwise, i take it as it comes.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

I do too much research to get overly hyped up, but of course I'm the kind of guy that hopes all games turn out well.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I usually wait for leaked gameplay footage to make a final purchasing decision since reviews are all subjective to the reviewer. Although there are a few good reviewers who's opinions and critiques I take with a grain of salt. I feel very few games nowadays are actually worth $60 plus tax and will wait for price drops or GOTY editions.

Watch Dogs looks good but doesn't live up to the hype from what I've seen. More like a 7 or 8 imho. But I'm sure many gamers will feel they got their money's worth. I'm more interested in playing the new Wolfenstein once the price drops. As for Destiny, I'll waiting for the beta to may a final call on it. Looks promising though.

Only games I'm really hyped up for are Phantom Pain and Fallout 4 whenever that's confirmed.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

I'm always cautiously optimistic about over hyped, mainstream games.