Anyone Else Tired of AAA "Series" Games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dhelweard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dhelweard
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

All of these gaming conventions have the same thing. A huge company coming out from the curtains to reveal their newest project; but it's always the same, the next installment of insert watered-down serieshere.Aren't people tired of Call of Duty, Borderlands, Halo, and other huge franchises that seem to beat on a dead horse? I guess the number of sales say otherwise for these games, but I can't be the only one desiring more standalone and story-driven games, right?

I want these bigger companies to make different games. I'm tired of shooting people with different guns on different maps or experiencing a new character that I can only unlock in the next installment of Borderlands. Can't we have more games that aren't just successors to a previous franchise. Can't we have games that operate off of the player's emotions and not their wallets? I hope that these newer games that come out in 2015 will be good. I'm hoping the big AAA franchises don't blow everything out of the water and continue to bog down great developers and wonderful new games. Anyone else tired of AAA companies and their "Series" games?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

With some series', yeah. With others I don't mind so much.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

No not me, I still love them.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

yeah ignore most of them

GamerNerdTalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 1

#5 GamerNerdTalk
Member since 2011 • 341 Posts

I agree. AAA games can go die in a hole for a while

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

No. As with any media industry there a necessary evil. It's our equivalent to Pop music and Hollywood movies. I will however agree that the games industry has too much reliance on said AAA, as I said, they are a necessary evil, they keep the industry making money which is needed for developers and publishers to be able to work on other, more risky titles, but there does appear to be less and less of that money going back into funding these new projects and IP's than ever before.

Dhelweard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dhelweard
Member since 2014 • 29 Posts

@spike6958: You're right, but I was more talking about how some companies (the ones that literally have money falling out of there ass) aren't putting any effort into their games. *cough* Activision *cough*. I understand what you're saying, having these games is a gateway to riskier ones, but the thing is that most of these companies aren't taking any risk at all. Which just results in the same game coming out every year.

hxce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 593

#8 hxce
Member since 2006 • 2099 Posts

Yes.

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

Yeah, but they give me something to b*tch about.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts
@hxce said:

Yes.

Yes.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I agree to an extent... That's why I really appreciated Ubisoft for making games like Valiant Hearts & Child of Light. For a big AAA studio, that's pretty encouraging.

However I still can't do without a few of my fav AAA titles.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

why you want to be hipster mang? hipster bad

Fire_Wa11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Fire_Wa11
Member since 2008 • 600 Posts

@Krelian-co: Hmm. I sometimes think when people bad-mouth hipsters, they are perhaps confusing them with metrosexuals. Let's observe why hipsters = okay and metrosexuals = d*uchebag.

Hipsters...

* Like bacon. * Reinvigorated Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer. * Appreciate modern music and classic authors in some cases. * And their plaid and beards harken back to America's roots. * Oh, and they craft their own beer.

Metrosexuals...

* All drive the same car. (Audi.) * Hypersocial phone apps so they don't ever have to shut up. * Invented the $300 drink (bottleservice.) * Sport just enough stubble that they can shave it for their nursing gig on Sunday night. * Are always talking about someone's boat. *And their musical tastes range all the way from DJ Eric to DJ Gigi, both of whom they will let you know they are close personal friends with. * Lastly, they absolutely panic about who and who is not in the VIP section. * Just when I'm done I think of another one. They actually know what a Black Label Giovanni Versace is. * Gossip. * Hair-perms (on men!) It goes on and on.

So, in defense of the hipsters, I don't mind 'em.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

why you want to be hipster mang? hipster bad

So anyone that's not sheep, is automatically a 'hipster'. Interesting.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

There certainly is an originality problem in the game industry right now. For that matter, also in Hollywood.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i ignore all fps AAA releases now a days. Some AAA releases are still good, but for the amount of money they put into these games its suprising how boring they are.

Some of the smaller developers do a better job because they care how their game turns out and aren't just trying to release a certain amount of games per year to make their shareholders happy. EA, Activision, Ubisoft etc, they have gotten so big they have to dish out tons of crap just to keep their profits increasing or they look bad to their investors... but to us gamers they look like asses to release half finished games or clones of games we've already played or DLC that should have been included in the original game to begin with.

waffleboy22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17 waffleboy22
Member since 2013 • 305 Posts

Well, I still love and play these kind of games, but it would be nice to see something different. Games are a bit repetitive as far as big name titles are concerned now, but I still think that there are some great original games out there. It would be nice to see a bigger publisher do something new, but that is a rare thing for some companies. Innovation isn't dead, it's just a bit harder to find sometimes

Avatar image for jasonredemption
jasonredemption

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 17

#18 jasonredemption
Member since 2010 • 691 Posts

Anyone else tired of whining gamers who sit around complaining instead of gaming? Listen if you don't like modern day gaming then become a developer, talk to a publisher and vote with your wallet. I understand many people who love gaming might not be happy with the direction it's headed and there's some disturbing trends that I see, but how much of us sitting around complaining about it is doing one ounce of good?

blowtrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 blowtrees
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts

Many of these "AAA" are glorified updates to existing games. But a big reason for that is the game itself isn't what makes it "AAA". It's the fanbase, or to a larger extent the online communities. They're the one's pushing dollars.

You have to purchase this update to keep pace with the community. I mean face it, be it MW, Halo, CoD or Madden, what have you, without the community, those games wouldn't have nearly the sales potential that they do. Online play has drastically driven the direction of innovation or a lack thereof.

MMOs are kind of a counter-point example of the same principal. For instance the amount of different MMOs and the different evolving pay structures or F2P, all represent a crazy saturation in the marketplace of that genre. But for the most part, they are all exactly the same experience. Why else is WoW, a game that's been around for a decade now, still the leading MMO in the marketplace? The community.

A lot of industries struggle with innovation, because what works and drives dollars, is still working. To a lesser extent, there's a technology barrier that generally has to be seen in a longer scope than 'quarterly' or 'yearly', or even 'next gen'.

When some fully immersive VR becomes commonplace, you'll see the methodology of game concept, design and story telling will also change.

All media is like this, TV, cinema, animation, even the News. Without, we wouldn't have the perspective to cherish true diversity.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

you dont buy other games...next