Anyone else optimistic about Dragon Age Inquisition?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

When Bioware annouced Dragon Age Inquisition I was sceptical to say the least. While I loved Origins, DA2 just did far too much wrong that even the few good points just simply didn't matter, and I was expecting more of the same from this 3rd installment. But with all this news coming from PAX I'm starting to regain my faith for this series, it really sounds like they are doing everything they can to turn the series around and make it great again. What do you guys think? Is it too little to late or are you looking forward to Inquisition?

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

we'll see. i mean, i like that they're slowing down the combat a bit and doing more with the camera angles. at least, bioware calls this slowing down the combat but i think it's actually going to make it more fluid in that allowing the player to see everything and giving them a moment to process the information is going to mean you won't have to pause the game every other second and flip between party member view points.

there's still a bunch of other stuff that i want to see in action though. allowing the player to approach the enemies rather than having waves jump out at them is going to allow for more specialization in party setups, but i think that backfired a bit in origins. too many characters were basically mandatory and "tough sh*t" if you didn't like them or preferred somebody else. i still think it's possible to balance right but that hasn't ever been a bioware strength.

the open world sounds enticing, but it's a different method of storytelling when done right and bioware has been telling stories through hallways since at least knight of the old republic. it's one thing to have line of bottlenecks you know the player will pass through and another thing altogether to encourage the player to go out and learn something.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts
It actually might be one of my most anticipated titles at the moment.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Not really. Biowares quality has noticeably gone downhill ever since they were bought by EA.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

After learning that Inquisition will have the tactical isometric view as in the PC version of the first game, yes. It just seems that all round Inquisition will be Dragon Age once again and not Mass Effect, unlike Dragon Age II.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

The changes I've read about seem like massive improvements over Dragon Age 2, but then again, that game was a disaster so saying it's massively improved may mean it's only reached mediocrity. With that said, I do remain hopeful that Bioware can turn this franchise around, and I have liked what I've seen of Inquisition thus far. 

When the inevitable comparisons to The Witcher 3 are made I fully expect TW3 will be widely accepted as the better game, but Inquisition could be good in it's own right. 

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

Not really. Biowares quality has noticeably gone downhill ever since they were bought by EA.

Gargus

"Since they were bought by EA"?

They peaked in 2000, with Baldurs Gate 2, long before EA entered the picture. :P

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Pretty pessimistic / uninterested in that franchise.  If Bioware somehow manages to make a good game with EA forcing online multiplayer on it, I'll be surprised.  Then there's the usual guy standing in your camp trying to sell you DLC and Bioware can never be bothered to add controller support for the PC versions of any of their games.  I can't be bothered to buy them until they hit the bargain bin.

I wasn't too impressed wtih the first two games - DA:O ran at 14 fps on the PS3 and had tons of balance issues and I remember spending 5 minutes planting a bunch of traps in front of a door - waiting for the traps to "recharge" before I could take another one out of inventory (WTF?) and then doing exactly the same thing when I got to the next identical room full of enemies.  Or saving up a ton of exp to buy a spell that turned out to be useless.  The story and characters were definitely good, but never really made me feel involved or immersed like other RPG's.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Planeforger

Pretty pessimistic / uninterested in that franchise.  If Bioware somehow manages to make a good game with EA forcing online multiplayer on it, I'll be surprised. 

Jackc8

Of all the complaints to make against Bioware's games, this is one of the ones I really don't get.

The majority of their pre-EA RPGs had great multiplayer modes, and multiplayer is something that absolutely works in a team-based tactical combat-heavy RPG.

Dragon Age was originally supposed to be a multiplayer-focussed title to begin with - it was intended to be the spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights as much as it was the successor to Baldurs Gate. Multiplayer (and other online functionality, like the adventure-building toolset) would have probably made it a better game.

So...I don't really see why everyone pays out Bioware and multiplayer. Sure, maybe EA would make it worse (even though they probably turned Dragon Age into a singleplayer title to begin with), just like ME3...although maybe it was a decent idea for ME3 anyway, since that franchise was steadily jumping into shooter territory and shooters need multiplayer. And okay, TOR sucked. But still...

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
I am looking forward to it, Hopefully it will be as good as the previous games
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

It's about 4 years after the fact but I'm about to start my first playthrough of DA: Origins. A lot of catching up to do :P

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Planeforger

They peaked in 2000, with Baldurs Gate 2, long before EA entered the picture. :P

KOTOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, DA:O, Neverwinter Nights LOL, nope

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

super excited for it but i just have one gripe. still wont stop me from purchasing the game

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts
Yes I'm very optimistic about Dragon Age Inquisition. I've always been a big fan of Bioware and continue to be so. I loved Dragon Age 2 and believe that they continue to craft excellent games.
Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#15 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

At first no. But as of right now, yes.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Planeforger

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Flubbbs

Neverwinter Nights had a bland campaign, but was a technical marvel at the time. It was a step down from BG2.

KOTOR was really good. It was a simplistic RPG, but the presentation helped it a lot. Still didn't top BG2 though, especially given its fairly weak roleplaying (the game punished you for doing anything other than picking the blue or red option every time!).

Jade Empire...well, that was when they started making these console exclusive, action-heavy, stat-lite RPGs. I enjoyed it for its unique setting, but the combat was kind of crap and it wasn't much of an RPG.

Mass Effect...again, great presentation, simplistic roleplaying, very action-heavy.

Dragon Age Origins...attempted to recapture BG2's greatness, but the underlying mechanics were shallow, the setting was exceptionally bland/traditional/generic, the dungeons were awfully designed, and the game was about 40 hours of crap longer than it needed to be.

Anyway, it's not quite a smooth curve downhill, but all of their games since BG2 have either had depth or been entertaining titles - but not both at the same time.
And just in case I'm giving people the wrong impression: no, I'm not a huge BG2 fanboy. It's one of the most 'complete' fantasy RPGs out there, and a great game in its own right, but it's not a personal favourite of mine. I just think that it's 'objectively' a better game than anything else Bioware has done since then, by a long shot.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

skeptical about anything bioware does at this point, will wait for reviews after preordering da 2.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#18 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's about 4 years after the fact but I'm about to start my first playthrough of DA: Origins. A lot of catching up to do :P

Business_Fun
I wasn't dissapointed, i hope you aren't either
Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I am a little, but I prefer to no have my hopes too high.

idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

yes i am if just for the story even. i love the story system in the bioware games so I'm definately looking forward to how its gonna be in next gen. i just hope they improve the combat somehow. ive always felt the combat was lacking in dragon age games, most of the time i was just playing for the story. Also i hope they don't slack on the graphics either, that goes for every next gen game though. i dont remember dragon age being a particularily amazing looking game. i expected it to look a lot better since the graphics in mass effect are top notch imo.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

Planeforger

Neverwinter Nights had a bland campaign, but was a technical marvel at the time. It was a step down from BG2.

KOTOR was really good. It was a simplistic RPG, but the presentation helped it a lot. Still didn't top BG2 though, especially given its fairly weak roleplaying (the game punished you for doing anything other than picking the blue or red option every time!).

Jade Empire...well, that was when they started making these console exclusive, action-heavy, stat-lite RPGs. I enjoyed it for its unique setting, but the combat was kind of crap and it wasn't much of an RPG.

Mass Effect...again, great presentation, simplistic roleplaying, very action-heavy.

Dragon Age Origins...attempted to recapture BG2's greatness, but the underlying mechanics were shallow, the setting was exceptionally bland/traditional/generic, the dungeons were awfully designed, and the game was about 40 hours of crap longer than it needed to be.

Anyway, it's not quite a smooth curve downhill, but all of their games since BG2 have either had depth or been entertaining titles - but not both at the same time.
And just in case I'm giving people the wrong impression: no, I'm not a huge BG2 fanboy. It's one of the most 'complete' fantasy RPGs out there, and a great game in its own right, but it's not a personal favourite of mine. I just think that it's 'objectively' a better game than anything else Bioware has done since then, by a long shot.

I can see where you are coming from. I am one of the few that do not like how Bioware is removing role playing and replacing it with system so the player can pretend to be the character. No, pretending to be the character is not role playing in a RPG.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Yeah. It looks great.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds

The only reason that I got ME3 day one was because I enjoy DA2. I have my eye on it.

dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts

No.  Bioware is responsible for some of my all time favorite games. But with the unplayable garbage they put out in DA2 and ME3(game itself, not the ending), I have absolutely no confidence in any project they have a hand in. I would love to be mistaken, but at this point I'm highly skeptical.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Planeforger

Oh no. They peaked 10 years latter with Mass Effect 2.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wiouds

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

padaporra

Oh no. They peaked 10 years latter with Mass Effect 2.

I found that Mass Effect 2 is one of their worse game. It made me not want Mass Effect 3. The story suck. The characters suck. The RPG elements within the game suck. The game play was alright.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Not optimistic, but certainly open minded. DA2 was mind numbing and ridiculous. DA:I seems like it could be a much better game, but I'm not ready to go out and preorder or anything.
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]

The_Last_Ride

I wasn't dissapointed, i hope you aren't either

Thank you :)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Still on the fence since it wouldn't be the first time they've said something and you got something else, waiting for gameplay videos. But it sounds promising.
iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Yeah, sure I am. Bioware's been having some issues with keeping the high standards the first entry in a series sets (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), but they're still behind many of the best cRPGs. 

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I loved Origins, but hated the second game. Can't say I've really looked into the new game, but I'm certainly not optimistic at the moment.