Anybody miss Viewtiful Joe?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 0

#1 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I am incredibly sad that the series has been dead for so long. The first game is a bona fide classic with its level design, quirky sense of humor and stylish graphics, along with its deceptively simple beat em up gameplay. The other games in the series didn't quite live up to the first but were still great in their own ways. I would love to somehow see another VJ game, especially if it had unlockable characters like in the first game. Alas, it seems we won't ever see Joe in all his Viewtiful glory again.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Yes. They are some of my favorite games of all time. What other game was like VJ1 & 2? Very few I can think of. They were a ton of fun, and it is sad that there has not been another installment with the quality of the first. I remember really wanting another title in the series, but it's been so long that really, until you mentioned it, I hadn't realized just how long it's been.

Any game that puts together cheeseburgers, movie references, and anime-mech final boss fights definitely deserves another spin.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 turtlethetaffer

@gpuFX16: Did you ever play the DS one? It was pretty solid, not the best but still enjoyable.

Also, I still need to beat the final boss in the first game on Ultra V Rated. I want that last character goddamnit :P

I'd just love another game, especially with another kickass train level, because I'm an absolute sucker for set pieces in games and movies that involve epic train fights.

And don't forget that in addition to cheeseburgers, movie references, and anime mechs, the game also uses bacon as your life bar and the phrase "Henshin a go go, baby!" came from that game. Any game with a phrase like that is instantly awesome.

gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

Nah, I did'nt play the the DS one. I did play the PSP title, I think. Red Hot Rumble, was it? It's really been a long time, and I don't remember much of what I played on my PSP besides Portable Ops and Patapon.

But now I'm remembering just how satisfying playing the game was. When you are in Zoom/Slo-Mo at the same time and you hear those blows landing with the combo counter in triple digits.... just soooo good. Let's get it on! I loved that at the start of every level.

I attempted, but never finished anything on Ultra V, you really had to be tight with your inputs and vfx management.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 turtlethetaffer

@gpuFX16: I've gotten to Cpt. Blue, his final form on Ultra V rated. Almost beat him too, but one slip up and you're pretty much screwed. Which is why I still haven't beaten him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#6 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I miss Viewtiful Joe, but I never got a chance to play the full game, only the demo because as kid, I was limited to what I could get and I missed out on a lot for the GameCube.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

I would absolutely adore the chance to get to play VJ again. That game is something really special, the kind of game that comes along once a gen. Make it happen, Capcom. I'll give you money.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

Beautiful game.. Would love a HD re-compilation at the very least. A new game would be awesome but I would be skeptical of it if not made by Hideki Kamiya

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Do I miss Viewtiful Joe?

Only every day. :(

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

Yeah, I kind of miss it.

I honestly still can't believe they haven't brought the series back it was really solid. I would certainly buy any new entry it made to the series.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

I remember the first Viewtiful Joe being very difficult, even on "Kids" mode. I had a blast playing it, but never quite managed to finish it.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 turtlethetaffer

@Jag85: The game definitely doesn't pull any punches in terms of difficulty. Kids mode is not too bad but some of the higher difficulties are positively nuts.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

The Wonderful 101 gameplay mechanics actually reminded me of Viewtiful Joe because they're very similar. Even the themes/atmosphere are identical. The only difference is the "Pikmin-esque" mechanics.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

Cel-shaded graphics, original superhero concept,dat cheerleader heroine,great gameplay experience..yeah pretty much I miss that series and also..HENSHIN COCO BABY!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#15 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@Some-Mist said:

The Wonderful 101 gameplay mechanics actually reminded me of Viewtiful Joe because they're very similar. Even the themes/atmosphere are identical. The only difference is the "Pikmin-esque" mechanics.

I think TW101 was intended to be a spiritual successor, since it was by the same team.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 turtlethetaffer

@Some-Mist: I remember seeing a trailer for it and thinking I heard Joe's voice actor

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@Some-Mist said:

I think TW101 was intended to be a spiritual successor, since it was by the same team.

I get that feeling too... especially cause it was Kamiya and it seems he models his newer IPs after older games (think Bayonetta and DMC)

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Some-Mist: I remember seeing a trailer for it and thinking I heard Joe's voice actor

that's a possibility. I get a crazy joe vibe from the main character - especially with the cinematic touches and character mannerisms.

jayd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18  Edited By jayd02
Member since 2007 • 802 Posts

I look at myself in the mirror and think about how Viewtiful I am if that means anything.

They should reboot the series. If anything give it a proper HD remake. Not this upscale stuff, I mean the full Wind Waker HD make over treatment.

Gannon27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Gannon27
Member since 2014 • 103 Posts

I don't miss it because I still have it in my gamecube collection. What I do miss is the feeling you get on your first playthrough of the game. Great game, amazingly addictive, difficult but rewarding gameplay. The strange thing is I never played any of the others. I might try and track down the second one.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yeah.... Good times....... Okay Enough Nostalgia, better gear up for Bayonetta 2

MWright469

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MWright469
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

Gotta be honest, while I can definitely appreciate the artistic quality of the game, I actually really dislike it. It's probably just me, but it always gave me this weird, unshakeable vibe that I just didn't mesh with. It seemed... too offbeat, or something .Kind of glad it stayed dead. There are much, much, MUCH better beat-em-up's out there. Sorry.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7264 Posts

Capcom keeps teasing us by putting him in vs games. It's nice to see him get some recognition though.