Any games set in a Dragon Ball/Akira Toriyama-esque setting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxninja666xx
Member since 2011 • 737 Posts

More of an "out of curiosity" question that's been bugging me for a longer time now than an actual game request, but if something good pops up, I'll sure as hell play it... so, it technically makes it a request. And a terribly specific one at that. I don't know myself. Let's say it's both.

Anyway, are there any games out there taking place in a setting reminiscent of early, pre-DBZ Akira Toriyama's style? What do I mean by that? I'll try to explain the best I can. By that I mean a setting that's a mix of fantasy, science fiction, 1940-50s style dieselpunk technology (cars, firearms, military vehicles, aircrafts etc.), and (mostly ancient Chinese and Japanese) mythology and world culture-inspired lore.

If you still can't picture it from the description and/or are unfamiliar with Akira Toriyama's work, I've made a small album with Dragon Ball and general Toriyama style related fan- and official art for you to help get a better grasp of what I mean.

The genres I'm mostly interested in are action, action-adventure, and (J)RPG, but with such specific criteria, I think anything goes.

Also, I'd very much prefer titles released before the seventh generation of consoles, so if something catches my eye, I can actually be able to find a way to play it (consoles from the seventh and eighth generation are unproportionally expensive where I live, while the older ones are relatively cheap now). That doesn't forbid you from listing more modern titles of course, since it's also a research-ish thread.

Thank you in advance for all the help.

PS. If the title sounds kinda dumb to you - originally it was supposed to be "Any games out there taking place in Dragon Ball/Akira Toriyama-esque setting?", but had to shorten it. Blame it on Gamespot's 60-character limit.

EDIT: A small detail I omitted, but I feel is necessary, since some people might not get it: the game's artstyle doesn't really have to resemble something drawn by Toriyama (at least when it comes to the characters' looks alone) - I'm more after the setting itself and the features mentioned above.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

This is as close as I think your going to get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoyvujFWUaE

I know the trailer sucks. But it was the first one I saw out of the massive shit fest list of lets plays.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xxninja666xx

@ribstaylor1 said:

This is as close as I think your going to get. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoyvujFWUaE

I know the trailer sucks. But it was the first one I saw out of the massive shit fest list of lets plays.

However it may sound, it's nowhere near what I want. I clearly stated I want something in Toriyama's style from before DBZ - it was different and way more interesting back then imo. Look into the album and see what I mean.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

A few come to mind, Blue Dragon, being the most recent, old there is Chrono Trigger, also Dragon Quest, specifically Dragon Quest VIII, but that one doesn't have that much dieselpunk, it is mostly fantasy although there are still a few influences of it.

I'd definitely recommend DQ VIII since it fits your criteria and is a great jrpg.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xxninja666xx

Hmm... Dragon Quest 8 looks pretty interesting, if a bit generic. Is this series like Final Fantasy, where every iteration is a completely disconnected, separate game, or are their plots connected?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@xxninja666xx: Dragon Quest is like Final Fantasy in the continuity department. But as mentioned before, Toriyama helped with Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon in the art design all over.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xxninja666xx

@mastermetal777 said:

But as mentioned before, Toriyama helped with Chrono Trigger and Blue Dragon in the art design all over.

Yea, Chrono Trigger is the closest even I can think of right now... but maybe someone else will come up with something better. Still, I wouldn't mind another replay of it.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

Hmm... Dragon Quest 8 looks pretty interesting, if a bit generic. Is this series like Final Fantasy, where every iteration is a completely disconnected, separate game, or are their plots connected?

every iteration is completely different and self contained story, chrono trigger will always be one of the best rpgs ever made but DQ 8 was one of the best from the ps2 gen era and one of my all time favs, if you haven't played it yet i strongly suggest you do, you won't regret it, specially if you like the earlier dragon ball setting.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Get Blue dragon.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 xxninja666xx

@Krelian-co said:

DQ 8 was one of the best from the ps2 gen era and one of my all time favs, if you haven't played it yet i strongly suggest you do, you won't regret it, specially if you like the earlier dragon ball setting.

I'll be sure to play it, then. Thanks.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope..... don't know any...... but if you're interested...... The Legend of Korra is going through an Steampunk Industrial Revolution..... although the game doesn't adress any of that.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Tobal N°1 and its sequel on PS1 were fighting games with character design by Toriyama and an action adventure mode, albeit limited.

xxninja666xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 xxninja666xx

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Tobal N°1 and its sequel on PS1 were fighting games with character design by Toriyama and an action adventure mode, albeit limited.

Are they actually good in terms of gameplay and whatnot? I'm no fighting game connosieur, but generally I know that if a fighting game is obscure/forgotten, most of the time it's for a good reason.

Also, the thing that concerns me is that literally all of the games you mentioned had Akira Toriyama take part in their creation. Is his style so... uh... let's say, unique nobody dared to copy its elements and features yet?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Yes. The entire Dragon Quest series is done by Akira Toriyama, as is the game Chrono Trigger. CT is amazing in every way, btw, and I love the DS Dragon Quest games (IV, V, VI and IX). I'd check those out.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@xxninja666xx said:

Are they actually good in terms of gameplay and whatnot? I'm no fighting game connosieur, but generally I know that if a fighting game is obscure/forgotten, most of the time it's for a good reason.

Also, the thing that concerns me is that literally all of the games you mentioned had Akira Toriyama take part in their creation. Is his style so... uh... let's say, unique nobody dared to copy its elements and features yet?

I liked Tobal N°1, it's basically Virtua Fighter running at 60 frames per second. The adventure mode is basically a dungeon to explore with enemies to fight with standard gameplay controls. Give it a try, there are ways.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Dragon Quest is actually designed my Toriyama