Anita-inspired character appears in Towerfall (GS link)

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Even though Anita is an integral figure in the GG controversy, please refrain from discussing GG in this thread. This thread is only for your thoughts of her appearing in this game.

Since @The_Last_Ride pulled a boner and got his thread locked for linking to his own blog, I thought I'd do him a favor and create a thread on the topic properly by linking to the GS article.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/inspirational-anita-sarkeesian-becomes-playable-to/1100-6425219/

Personally I don't care one way or the other, because I've never even heard of the game. As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't bother anyone who's interested in playing or currently playing it, because it doesn't really even look like her to begin with. Remove the hoop earrings and there's no likeness at all.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I have the PS4 version of Towerfall, so if I get a notification for an update, I'll be sure to refuse it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

Yeah it's a pretty loose resemblance but I think that it's cool for anyone to be represented in a game so good for her.

Avatar image for popeanonymousxv
PopeAnonymousXV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By PopeAnonymousXV
Member since 2014 • 168 Posts

Thanks for the update, just turned on my PS4 and deleted the game, will never buy another product from these devs again. (first time I've turned it on in a month is to delete a game… can't wait for Bloodborne)

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

Neat.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#6 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@popeanonymousxv said:

Thanks for the update, just turned on my PS4 and deleted the game, will never buy another product from these devs again. (first time I've turned it on in a month is to delete a game… can't wait for Bloodborne)

same here, delete it and never play it. I will never play a game from them ever again

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Zen_Light

@The_Last_Ride said:

@popeanonymousxv said:

same here, delete it and never play it. I will never play a game from them ever again

Jeez you guys. I was kidding around but you two seem serious. I don't like her much at all either, but going to that extreme is a bit ridiculous. The article said it's only "her likeness", not an exact replica. Why not just enjoy shooting arrows at her character? :D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Zen_Light said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@popeanonymousxv said:

Jeez you guys. I was kidding around but you two seem serious. I don't like her much at all either, but going to that extreme is a bit ridiculous. The article said it's only "her likeness", not an exact replica. Why not just enjoy shooting arrows at her character? :D

Because i won't support a developer that was "inspired by her work"

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zen_Light

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

Well that seems quite petty in the grand scheme of things, not supporting someone who is inspired by someone you disagree with. Do you not support electronics because the elements in them are from conflicted regions like blood diamonds? Do you not buy or eat meat because the animals were treated badly in harsh conditions? Do you not wear coats from The Burlington coat factory because they used fur from puppy mills?

Point is there's much more important issues to concern yourself with than things like this nonsense.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts

Doesn't really matter all that much, for every person who boycotts the company because of this, there's another person who will buy their stuff because of it. Who knows, maybe even two people!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Zen_Light said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

Well that seems quite petty in the grand scheme of things, not supporting someone who is inspired by someone you disagree with. Do you not support electronics because the elements in them are from conflicted regions like blood diamonds? Do you not buy or eat meat because the animals were treated badly in harsh conditions? Do you not wear coats from The Burlington coat factory because they used fur from puppy mills?

Point is there's much more important issues to concern yourself with than things like this nonsense.

Nope, i can spend my money how i want to and i don't agree with this.

Nope, i can do it if i want to. I am showing that this dev is not getting my money anytime soon. I won't support someone who puts a con artist in a game and that is actively destroying something i love

@JustPlainLucas the link wasn't to my blog btw

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#12 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Selling out to a sockpuppet, how swell!

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13  Edited By Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@popeanonymousxv said:

Did you by chance buy/like The Last of Us or anything related to Naughty Dog?

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Minishdriveby

I think small cameos like this paying tribute to people who were inspirational to your creative endeavors are great. It's nice to see developers want to pay tribute to people they respect.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Absolutely disgusting. Anita is an awful human being and the devs should feel bad for being "inspired" by her.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JustPlainLucas

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

Nope, i can do it if i want to. I am showing that this dev is not getting my money anytime soon. I won't support someone who puts a con artist in a game and that is actively destroying something i love

I honestly think you should have kept it and had "Shoot Anita in the Face With Arrows" night with you and your mates. But honestly, you're letting your personal politics get in the way of a game I'm assuming you enjoy? Just because the developer puts hoop earrings on a female character, you're suddenly disgusted? Yes, the person who is the source of the character design offends you, but so fucking what? Is this Anita hardly-look-a-like going to start preaching feminism to you? This is just as ridiculous as when Carolyn Petit said she was going to boycott Shadow Complex because its story ran parallel with an Orson Scott Card novel, Card being an outspoken homophobe. Card's minimal influence in Shadow Complex attributed nothing offensive or homophobic to the game. All Carolyn did was deprive herself of a really fun game.

And I only said it was to your blog, because everyone else said it was. Sorry if that wasn't the case.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

That character is so sexist, it objectifies and oppresses women. Change it.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#18 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

I think small cameos like this paying tribute to people who were inspirational to your creative endeavors are great. It's nice to see developers want to pay tribute to people they respect.

+1. It helps that the game is really enjoyable, too. Though hopefully this doesnt shine any bad light on the game, but Towerfall is awesome and could use some publicity well after release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

It's amazing that some people are upset about a character being based on someone they don't like. Crawl lets you play as Gabe Newell, where's the hate for that?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Even though Anita is an integral figure in the GG controversy, please refrain from discussing GG in this thread. This thread is only for your thoughts of her appearing in this game.

Since @The_Last_Ride pulled a boner and got his thread locked for linking to his own blog, I thought I'd do him a favor and create a thread on the topic properly by linking to the GS article.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/inspirational-anita-sarkeesian-becomes-playable-to/1100-6425219/

Personally I don't care one way or the other, because I've never even heard of the game. As far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't bother anyone who's interested in playing or currently playing it, because it doesn't really even look like her to begin with. Remove the hoop earrings and there's no likeness at all.

Hmm, good for her.

Still won't buy or even care about this game.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Zen_Light said:

Come on Ride don´t try to pull that. Of course that link was to your blog, it was the exact same thing you have linked to and said "come see my blog" in your other thread about reviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

I find it funny that the people who are against this also support hatred. Because apparently supporting hate groups is better than supporting a harmless video game critic.

cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

@toast_burner said:

I find it funny that the people who are against this also support hatred. Because apparently supporting hate groups is better than supporting a harmless video game critic.

Hrrrm, perhaps the best thing for them to do would be to make Anita one of the 'objectives' in Hatred.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jacanuk

@cablemodemx2 said:

@toast_burner said:

Hrrrm, perhaps the best thing for them to do would be to make Anita one of the 'objectives' in Hatred.

Not really

The best thing to do with someone like Anita is just to ignore her and not give her fuel or free PR and actually help her spread her nonsense.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@cablemodemx2 said:

@toast_burner said:

Not really

The best thing to do with someone like Anita is just to ignore her and not give her fuel or free PR and actually help her spread her nonsense.

It suck when those like Anita cry victory when no one answers back.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jacanuk

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@cablemodemx2 said:

@toast_burner said:

Not really

Spot on

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it will in a sense not make any noise.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#27  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

This news probably destroyed some folks on the inside. After all she is the icon everything that is right in gaming :P

Sorry I could not resist. :(

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Minishdriveby

@illmatic87:

Ehhh.... look at the comments in this thread alone. She's a decisive figure, so the addition will place some unwarranted bad light on the game in some social groups. I guess the net effect towards this decision really depends on whether you vehemently disagree with Anita's opinion and support those opinions or not.

I think Anita's presence has generally devolved from a stupid "she's strangling free speech and the creative process" argument to an anything even remotely related to her is trash, evil, filth, disgusting, sacrilegious, etc. even if those things were made with fully intact creative freedoms. Listening and valuing an opinion isn't hijacking freedom of expression, maybe those who disagree with Anita realized that, and instead of chanting that there's a stranglehold on freedom of expression, they've just ostracized everyone who even listens to her message and agrees with it, or maybe they do both. Who knows?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I honestly think you should have kept it and had "Shoot Anita in the Face With Arrows" night with you and your mates. But honestly, you're letting your personal politics get in the way of a game I'm assuming you enjoy? Just because the developer puts hoop earrings on a female character, you're suddenly disgusted? Yes, the person who is the source of the character design offends you, but so fucking what? Is this Anita hardly-look-a-like going to start preaching feminism to you? This is just as ridiculous as when Carolyn Petit said she was going to boycott Shadow Complex because its story ran parallel with an Orson Scott Card novel, Card being an outspoken homophobe. Card's minimal influence in Shadow Complex attributed nothing offensive or homophobic to the game. All Carolyn did was deprive herself of a really fun game.

And I only said it was to your blog, because everyone else said it was. Sorry if that wasn't the case.

I haven't touched Towerfall, and now i never will. I am letting my money talk and i won't support them. I am not disgusted, i don't agree with them.

It's not my blog, my blog is here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@The_Last_Ride said:

@JustPlainLucas said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

I haven't touched Towerfall, and now i never will. I am letting my money talk and i won't support them. I am not disgusted, i don't agree with them.

It's not my blog, my blog is here

Don't agree with them with what? the fact that they like someone you don't like? It has absolutely no negative effect on you so why do you care? Like I said before it's incredibly hypocritical that you were defending the developers of Hatred when they support hate groups yet oppose this. I don't see the fact that they support those groups to be relevant as long as it doesn't effect the game. So why does it matter here? It's not like the game constantly flashes messages about how men are scum. All they did was add a character based on a person they like. Lot's of devs do that.

I looked at the blog on your profile and it says "Link to my blog" and directs you to that website. So are you Dennis Mrosek or not?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@wiouds said:

@Jacanuk said:

@cablemodemx2 said:

@toast_burner said:

Not really

Spot on

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, it will in a sense not make any noise.

The only problem with that the only way for Anita to win is make it look like she is winning. This can be done by making it look like she a victim and have no one answer to what she says. The only thing she has on her side is to play on people's heart.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#32 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I'm just surprised that so many gamers have the time to watch videos on the Internet made by video game critics, and then spend so much time complaining about them and hating them.

I have nothing against Anita, and I have nothing against women. But then I've never really watched any of her videos, and I probably never will. And I also don't go to any other gaming websites or know every last thing about video games like the masses seem to. That is because, even with my boring little life, I simply don't have anymore time to talk about video games than what I already have.

Maybe all of the people that are irate against this or that person, or this or that developer, to the point of boycotting shit and starting web-wide 'gates', really just have too much time on their hands for their own good.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

@Ovirew said:

I'm just surprised that so many gamers have the time to watch videos on the Internet made by video game critics, and then spend so much time complaining about them and hating them.

I have nothing against Anita, and I have nothing against women. But then I've never really watched any of her videos, and I probably never will. And I also don't go to any other gaming websites or know every last thing about video games like the masses seem to. That is because, even with my boring little life, I simply don't have anymore time to talk about video games than what I already have.

Maybe all of the people that are irate against this or that person, or this or that developer, to the point of boycotting shit and starting web-wide 'gates', really just have too much time on their hands for their own good.

Are you trying to tell me you can sleep well at night knowing that this monster who is destroying gaming is "staring" in a game? How dare you?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56060 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Ovirew said:

Are you trying to tell me you can sleep well at night knowing that this monster who is destroying gaming is "staring" in a game? How dare you?

I agree with Ovirew. Anita is just a hustler who makes money out of video game media and why should I care what the bitch does or do. The problem is these game developers are pussies who bend there knees to her when they can just not give in and just make there games as they intended to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#35 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@Pedro said:

@Ovirew said:

LMAO! I won't lose any sleep over any of this. I am completely neutral to the whole thing. I have a life, this does not impact it in any way.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

UPDATE: Admin approval. Just keep it classy, GameSpotters. ~DD

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride

@JustPlainLucas: it's open

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Good to know i will never play this game or any from this dev.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Thanks for your patience while we deliberated

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JustPlainLucas

@xantufrog said:

Thanks for your patience while we deliberated

Thank you kindly.

Avatar image for invisiblejimbsh
InvisibleJimBSH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 InvisibleJimBSH
Member since 2015 • 158 Posts

@toast_burner said:

(a) not a video game critic - (b) not a hate group

@davillain- said:

@Pedro said:

@Ovirew said:

I agree with Ovirew. Anita is just a hustler who makes money out of video game media and why should I care what the bitch does or do. The problem is these game developers are pussies who bend there knees to her when they can just not give in and just make there games as they intended to do.

Anita and her friends loathe Stardock: A large company stated to have the highest percentage of female participation in gaming.

Why? Because they won't kiss Anita's royal pinky ring.

Its not about feminism, sexism, hate groups or anything other than an extortion racket.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@invisiblejimbsh said:

@toast_burner said:

(a) not a video game critic - (b) not a hate group

a) yes she is. Just because you disagree with her critique that doesn't mean she isn't a critic.

b) The Polish Defence League is a hate group.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Abbeten

she critiques video games from basic feminist theory

how is she not a video game critic

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44129 Posts

The funny thing is now I want to buy this game.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 JustPlainLucas

@Abbeten said:

Yes, she's a video game critic. A very bad one.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jacanuk

@JustPlainLucas said:

@Abbeten said:

Yes, she's a video game critic. A very bad one.

Strange logic since she actually doesn´t review games.

But no Anita is a feminist blogger and youtube content creator that creates videos about issues she sees in gaming as a whole, so no she is certainly not a game critic if we take the well-known accepted definition of the term.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Abbeten

Well, if you want to go by a very basic popular definition of the term, we can take:

'one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances'

and see that that is more or less what she does.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

@Abbeten said:

Well, if you want to go by a very basic popular definition of the term, we can take:

'one who engages often professionally in the analysis, evaluation, or appreciation of works of art or artistic performances'

Nice try, but no.

Again she doesnt judge the game or "review" any games at all. What she does is take women in gaming and use characters that are in games. As proof of her arguments.

There is a difference, and calling her a game critic is a misrepresentation of what she actually do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

Again she doesnt judge the game or "review" any games at all. What she does is take women in gaming and use characters that are in games. As proof of her arguments.

There is a difference, and calling her a game critic is a misrepresentation of what she actually do.

Which would make her a game critic. She isn't a critic of specific games but the industry as a whole.

Whether you like her critique or not is completely irrelevant.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Abbeten

@Jacanuk said:

@Abbeten said:

Nice try, but no.

She critiques games through the lens of feminist theory.

That makes her a game critic.

It's not like every literary critic publishes popular reviews of in newspapers or websites. This seems like a strange point of contention.