An open letter to Bioware

This topic is locked from further discussion.

happyemonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By happyemonathan
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts

Dear Bioware.

Please show us a gameplay video that isn't with an Xbox controller. I know you're getting payed a lot to have the Xbox controller scheme in all your videos and I know you're playing this on a high end PC. You've said that you show this game on PC in previous videos for tech demo purposes. Yet still you insist on showing how dumb this game looks by playing it with a controller. Now seeing as DA:O handled like a squid operating a forklift on consoles and nobody really liked the controls in DA:O2 (or the game itself for that matter) you might have considered turning your attention back to the almighty PC master race where most of your fans originate from. You continue to shun us PC users because you had success with the brilliant Mass Effect series on console. The thing about ME is that it's a third person shooter, they kinda work better on consoles. tactical combat games do not hold up that well on consoles (see command and conquer 64 for reference)

It might come as a surprise to you but not many PC gamers play with a controller, we have consoles for that. Just show me that I can happily use the original controller scheme from DA:O (a mouse and keyboard in case you may have forgotten) and I will finally and gladly put down that pre-order for this game.

I think this game is interesting, beautiful to look at and very immersive. All that considered, a plethora of interesting and beautiful games have fallen victim to shoddy controls and never gotten that far off the ground and received panning from critics and consumers alike (see DA:O2, oh wait you made that never mind). They then go on to suffer from poor sales, loss of jobs from staff and sometimes even closure of companies.

I think that sometimes you large developers forget that we can make or break you with one or two bad games. If we're screaming out for something like a return to the old ways and styles of yesteryear maybe you should embrace some of that instead of trying to crush and forget something you used to do so well. Other companies have gone back to this formula (see Divinity: Original Sin) to receive critical acclaim. Imagine what would happen if a company such as yourself announced you were going to do a true sequel to Baldurs Gate. The internet would go into a frenzy!

I suppose the point of this little rant of mine is that don't forget about your old fans, the old guard, the people who put you where you are now. Obviously our opinion matters because we took the time to tell our friends about your games and how brilliant they were. In turn they told their friends and so on and so forth until you have the following that you have today. Without us you wouldn't be able to do what you're doing today.

Don't forget about us Bioware.

Sincerely, Nathan, a devoted fan.

P.S. show me a gameplay trailer without the stupid xbox controller! Seriously!

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19562 Posts

@happyemonathan said:

Now seeing as DA:O handled like a squid operating a forklift on consoles and nobody really liked the controls in DA:O2 (or the game itself for that matter) you might have considered turning your attention back to the almighty PC master race where most of your fans originate from. You continue to shun us PC users because you had success with the brilliant Mass Effect series on console.
[...]

I suppose the point of this little rant of mine is that don't forget about your old fans, the old guard, the people who put you where you are now. Obviously our opinion matters because we took the time to tell our friends about your games and how brilliant they were. In turn they told their friends and so on and so forth until you have the following that you have today. Without us you wouldn't be able to do what you're doing today.

Don't forget about us Bioware.

Sorry, but Bioware hasn't cared about their PC fans since Neverwinter Nights - and that was back in 2002.

Their next game after that was the console-exclusive KOTOR, which was one of their biggest successes (despite being heavily dumbed down from their other DnD-inspired RPGs). It was later ported to the PC.
After that, they made the console-exclusive Jade Empire, another light RPG that wasn't aimed at their old fans. It took ages to be ported to the PC.
Then...Mass Effect. Console-exclusive, aimed at a Halo-loving console audience, later ported to PC.

And so on. Hell, Dragon Age 1 was supposed to be an online-focused PC-exclusive follow-up to Neverwinter Nights, but it was delayed a few years, and later filled with gore and sex for the console crowd.

So I don't really expect Bioware to care about the old fans now - not after 12 years of console success.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#4  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

That long post is just a waste of your time. They wont read this, nor will they care.

Find another developer to latch on to. BioWare doesnt care for the likes of you.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Dragon Age controls fine on consoles.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Unless you've sent this to them, they won't read it.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@happyemonathan: Hmm, you dont think it might have been a better idea to post a letter to Bioware where they might actually read it?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I skimmed the letter and stop caring at the point with the talking about how PC is the old guard and the like. Too much like the "elitist" PC gaming talking.

I hate the mouse and keyboard for action games including FPS and I do not believe that PC is superior to consoles.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Yeah ! No more Xbox controller gameplay...... Use the Wii U Gamepad instead ! :p BOOOOOYAAAAAAAA ! ! !

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

@happyemonathan: What? Who cares?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44099 Posts

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things that I ever read and that says a lot considering the amount of ridiculous things that one can read on the internet.