Amazing! Ocarina has been dethroned in cumulative review score!

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Uncle_Tbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Uncle_Tbag
Member since 2006 • 2677 Posts

Also, not to start a fight or anything, but I think people are much, much more hasty to put the "best game of all time" on a Nintendo franchise, or any game for that matter, if they have no or limited exposure to the PC platform.

Fallout 2, SystemShock 2, Galaxy or OoT? Hell, I don't know and certainly would have no idea which one to crown "best." I know which one first brought perfect midair control and it certainly wasn't the same one that brought a depth of storytelling never thought possible in a game before.

Woolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Woolman
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts

Some people said that an eight will wreck its score... In a way that is correct, in a way it is not.

31 reviews - average 97.9%
Let us say next review is an 8 (80%)
32 reviews - average 97.4

So ONE moron website can make OoT take back its place.

ymi_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 ymi_basic
Member since 2002 • 3685 Posts

[QUOTE="Pedro"]Its kind of naive to think that OOT is the best game ever. I am sure that there are many people who enjoyed other games significantly more that OOT.dvader654

Of course there are, there is never one best game for everyone. But the closest the entire gaming scene has come to a consensus is definetly Zelda: OoT.

I doubt that a majority of gamers would pick OoT as "the best game ever." It might receive more votes that way than any other game, but it would still be a small minority of gamers. I would hope that most serious gamers could not and would not pick any game as being "best".

This proves that Miyamoto is the best ever AND that Nintendo makes the best games when they give it their best.ASK_Story
Best? If a poll showed that the Beatles were the most popular rock band of all time and that Hey Jude was the top ranked song, would that make Hey Jude the best song ever?

These games have received the highest average review scores. Let's just leave it at that.

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
Miyamoto is the best ever AND that Nintendo makes the best games when they give it their best.ymi_basic
Best? If a poll showed that the Beatles were the most popular rock band of all time and that Hey Jude was the top ranked song, would that make Hey Jude the best song ever?

These games have received the highest average review scores. Let's just leave it at that.

Also, Miyamoto had little to do with Galaxy. In fact, Galaxy was developed by a whole new team of people who had previously worked on the excellent DK Jungle Beat.

Dill-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Dill-Man
Member since 2004 • 863 Posts
if galaxy doesnt get game of the year... well thats just dumb
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts

Also, not to start a fight or anything, but I think people are much, much more hasty to put the "best game of all time" on a Nintendo franchise, or any game for that matter, if they have no or limited exposure to the PC platform.

Fallout 2, SystemShock 2, Galaxy or OoT? Hell, I don't know and certainly would have no idea which one to crown "best." I know which one first brought perfect midair control and it certainly wasn't the same one that brought a depth of storytelling never thought possible in a game before.

Uncle_Tbag

To be honest, I'm in total agreement with what you said, especially the part I bolded.

Mantorok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Mantorok
Member since 2002 • 2558 Posts
[QUOTE="ymi_basic"]Miyamoto is the best ever AND that Nintendo makes the best games when they give it their best.SupremeAC

Also, Miyamoto had little to do with Galaxy. In fact, Galaxy was developed by a whole new team of people who had previously worked on the excellent DK Jungle Beat.

Little to do with Galaxy? Unlikely, where did you hear this?

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#58 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="SupremeAC"][QUOTE="ymi_basic"]Miyamoto is the best ever AND that Nintendo makes the best games when they give it their best.Mantorok

There's even a bit of evidence against it. He was there for everything. Even the music.

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
[QUOTE="ymi_basic"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

[QUOTE="Pedro"]Its kind of naive to think that OOT is the best game ever. I am sure that there are many people who enjoyed other games significantly more that OOT.dvader654

Of course there are, there is never one best game for everyone. But the closest the entire gaming scene has come to a consensus is definetly Zelda: OoT.

I doubt that a majority of gamers would pick OoT as "the best game ever." It might receive more votes that way than any other game, but it would still be a small minority of gamers. I would hope that most serious gamers could not and would not pick any game as being "best".

Thats exactly what I meant, it would recieve more votes but still be a small minority.

i dont know if thats for certain. anytime you see a magazine doing a GOAT list super mario brothers is #1. it would be hard to get an accurate read because so many gamers who played super mario brothers are a lot older and would likely not vote in greatest game poll or something. this is a topic that can only really be debated, never proven one way or another.
SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts
[QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="SupremeAC"]Also, Miyamoto had little to do with Galaxy. In fact, Galaxy was developed by a whole new team of people who had previously worked on the excellent DK Jungle Beat.

Video_Game_King

There's even a bit of evidence against it. He was there for everything. Even the music.

I recall reading somewhere that Galaxy was handed out to the developers who did DK Jungle Beat, which in turn had been a newly created dev team. The fact that both games show certain similarities seemed to hint in that direction as well. I've been reading through some of the Iwata asks interviews now though, and I'm not too certain about all of this no more.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#62 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
[QUOTE="Video_Game_King"][QUOTE="Mantorok"][QUOTE="SupremeAC"]Also, Miyamoto had little to do with Galaxy. In fact, Galaxy was developed by a whole new team of people who had previously worked on the excellent DK Jungle Beat.

SupremeAC

I recall reading somewhere that Galaxy was handed out to the developers who did DK Jungle Beat, which in turn had been a newly created dev team. The fact that both games show certain similarities seemed to hint in that direction as well. I've been reading through some of the Iwata asks interviews now though, and I'm not too certain about all of this no more.

That still doesn't mean Miyamoto was disconnected from this game. Whenever someone goes into Mario/Zelda/Kirby/Nintendo/Pokemon (yes, even Pokemon) territory, they have to go through Miyamoto.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#63 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Yeah, lmao, I can bet you, without even playing Mario Galaxy, that Ocarina of Time is a much better game.

That game is the best game of all time, Mario Galaxy is a solid but forgetable mario game that no one will care about 10 years from now.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

Yeah, lmao, I can bet you, without even playing Mario Galaxy, that Ocarina of Time is a much better game.

That game is the best game of all time, Mario Galaxy is a solid but forgetable mario game that no one will care about 10 years from now.

Shmiity

It's actually one of the best Mario game ever. I certainly will not forget it.

RyanWare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#65 RyanWare
Member since 2002 • 12113 Posts

Shmiity

Mario Sunshine is a solid but forgettable Mario game. Mario Galaxy is one of the best Mario games yet.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Yeah, Miyamoto was in charge. It was his suggestion to do spherical levels. The team was against it but Miyamoto insisted he wanted to make it this way. Also, he visited Tokyo often and upended a lot of tea tables. If you read the Iwata asks interview, you'll understand what that means.

So yeah, every idea was with him.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#68 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I really hate Nintendo. Everytime I believe that I'm done with them and the direction they are going, they pull something like Galaxy out of their hat that says, "we were right, nyah nyah nyah nyah nyaaaaah!!". I oftentimes seem to forget why I game, and then Miyamoto comes along.

*Sigh* Damn you, Nintendo.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#69 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

Shmiity

Yet you have not played SMG so your opinion has no basis.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Shmiity

Mario games are timeless. Look at all the Super Mario Bros.? 20 years later, still revered and played by millions even today.Mario 64 is still remembered.

Mario Galaxy is no different.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#71 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

What's so amazing about this is that the top 2 best reviewed games of all-time are also the two best greatest gamingfranchises of all-time.

Mario at #1

and

Zelda at #2

Without Mario and Zelda there would be no game industry, so it's quite honoring and well deserving of respect, also very symbolic, that they are the higest reviewed games.

ASK_Story

Don´t get me wrong,but that doesn´t excuse good but not awesome games to be that overrated.SMG is the first Mario-Game that caught my interest besides New SMB since the (really awesome)SNES-Parts...the rest wasn´t really good in any case.And OoT was the last obvious step forward in the Zelda-Series,so it was obviously high-rated...but even back then it still came years too late.It´s somehow like with Halo today.In case of H2 it came that late that even if it was ok but damn far from perfect got insane ratings...the system works! :P

I hate "symbolic,respectful ratings"...it´s irritating the people who want good games and not so much into it like most people here...

Somehow I think it´s time for another "Killer-brand" without unneeded violence.Shure the same basics from back then whouldn´t work today,but I don´t think it´s the right way to rate everything good just because it got a big history behind it.It could stop games from improving.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]About time. bugsonglass

Is your review of Galaxy up?

Lol, yes it is. How's your Greek?

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"]

[QUOTE="nopalversion"]About time. nopalversion

Is your review of Galaxy up?

Lol, yes it is. How's your Greek?

worse than my english, but it's my mother tongue so I should manage.